View Poll Results: BlackBerry device I currently own or previously had that 'just worked'...

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • BlackBerry Bold 9000 / 9700

8 22.86%
  • BlackBerry Storm / Storm2

5 14.29%
  • BlackBerry Tour 9630

10 28.57%
  • BlackBerry Curve 89xx

1 2.86%
  • BlackBerry Curve 85xx

2 5.71%
  • BlackBerry Curve 83xx

5 14.29%
  • BlackBerry Pearl Flip 82xx

0 0%
  • BlackBerry Pearl 81xx

1 2.86%
  • BlackBerry 88xx / 87xx

1 2.86%
  • Other

2 5.71%
    Hello,

I am conducting personal research on BlackBerry user satisfaction to better understand future market decisions by Research in Motion and other smartphone companies. I find CrackBerry to be a good place to put a small poll in, hopefully this thread will turn out nice. There are a few key areas I want to emphasize in this research: build quality, software reliability & functionality and battery life. Below are a few questions I wish to have answers for. If there is anything else you want to add, please do so.

1. Build quality

� When purchasing a BlackBerry do you also consider purchasing protection for it (protective case / screen protector / pouch / holster) ?

� Have you experienced 'common' problems with your BlackBerry that caught widespread attention (e.g. initial Tour 9630 trackball problems / Storm2 screen clicking issues, et cetera) ?

� Has anything unexpected happened with your BlackBerry, that you can not link to previous physical damage happened to the device itself (e.g. keyboard letters falling off, trackball/trackpad sensitivity issues, USB port malfunction, et cetera) ?

2. Software reliability & functionality

� Prior to purchasing your BlackBerry, did you research other platform options ? If positive, does the amount of applications currently available for the BlackBerry platform affect your experience ? If negative, what was the main reason you bought your BlackBerry (if you have a work issued device, please mention that).

� Are you satisfied with the reliability of the software running on your BlackBerry ? Have you ever experienced any random crashes or freezing not linkable to be the cause of 3rd party software ?

� Is there any important functionality previously available on a software revision that was omitted in a recent upgrade ? If positive, what functionality are you missing ?

� Do you believe it is beneficial to support the App World model for distributing software for BlackBerry devices or do you prefer downloading any 3rd party software Over-the-Air directly from the developer?

3. Battery life

� Have you ever had the need to purchase spare batteries for your BlackBerry ?

� Are you satisfied with the battery life you currently get with your BlackBerry ? If positive, please describe how much usage does your BlackBerry see for the better part of the day. If negative, do you consider yourself a 'power user' ?

� Would it affect you in case future BlackBerry devices will ship with a fixed, non-removable battery ? If positive, when have you had the need to swap or pull out the battery ?

����������

That's all for now, thank you very much for participating!
    05-02-10 12:03 PM
    I shall start, not? Here's an example of how to answer (keeping it clean and lean).

1. Build quality
    – Yes, I regularly purchase accessories to protect my BlackBerry.
    – Yes, I experience irregular clicking on my Storm2 at some occasions.
    – No.

– Yes, I have researched other platform options prior to purchasing my BlackBerry. No, current amount of applications available for the BlackBerry platform affect my experience minimally.
    – Software reliability is satisfactory and I have not experienced anything unusual.
    – Yes, in a previous software revision locking my Storm2 with a password was possible. Current software revisions have omitted that feature.
    – I personally prefer downloading OTA directly from the developer.

3. Battery life
    – No.
    – Most of the time battery life is good. My BlackBerry sees moderate use, which includes light Web surfing, interaction with social networks (Twitter/Facebook) and text messaging (5~10 texts per day on average).
    – No, I would not be affected in case the battery in my BlackBerry becomes fixed and non-removable.
    05-02-10 12:19 PM
    My vote is other.

I simply cannot view the Bold 9000 in the same class as the Bold 9700. The 9700
    blows that thing away in size, memory, battery life, build quality, screen
    resolution, speed and appearance.

it is also supremely more trouble free.
    05-02-10 12:36 PM
    @amazinglygraceless thank you for pointing out your opinion. I respect that much and this helps me get a rough idea of how to further continue my research. As far as poll options go, the maximum was 10 options, this led to 'corruption' in the system that forced me to put some devices on an equal level.
    05-02-10 12:44 PM
    I don't have the patience to format my answer like your example, but here's the short of it.

My current BlackBerry is a 9630 and my previous one was an 8330, both on VZW. I haven't had a bit of trouble with either one. As a matter of fact, I use the 8330 as a backup (which I haven't needed yet).

The 8330 was bulletproof. Just a rock-solid workhorse. It always did what I needed and I still look back on it with fondness (weird, I know). I have the Boost Mobile 5.0.0.580 OS on it, and it has 46 MB free before installing apps. With this OS, it is a little screamer. Very fast.

The 9630 is just an awesome device. It performs flawlessly and is very fast with the Driphter Dv8.2 hybrid. When I hold the 2 devices side by side, the build quality difference is like night and day, as well as the fit and finish. The screen resolution compared to the 8330 is in a world unto its own. I have never had the infamous trackball issue with the 9630. Over time, it developed a loose battery door which was quickly remedied with a shim. It took me much longer than expected to adjust to the compact keyboard on the Tour.

As far as OS's, I'm pretty much finished with official releases as I find hybrids to be much faster and more stable. I'll keep trying the official releases every now and then, but I don't have much faith in them.

As far as the BlackBerry platform goes, I am very pleased with it. I truly don't understand all of the people who call it archaic and clunky. I find it to be perfectly suited to getting the job done. That said, I've never been one for flashy trinkets or the latest fads. I've always had more of a utilitarian taste. In other forums I've compared it to cars. I see the BlackBerry platform as a Land Rover; utilitarian, classy and tough. Android I see as a Corvette; sporty, flashy and fast. IPhone I see as one of those little boxy trendy Scion Coupes; the kids like it and it looks good with a surfboard on the roof.

I'll stick with BlackBerry, thank you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-02-10 01:19 PM
    I agree with amazinglygraceless the Bold 9000 and 9700 should not be the same.... same with the Storm and Storm 2..... storm 2 is MUCH MUCH better then the Storm 1 was. The poll option for 4 of these phones are way off
    05-02-10 01:22 PM
    @travelingfool I appreciate your contribution nonetheless, 'formatting' isn't required, I can do that on my own. Thank you much!

@mjbesen310 again I am sorry for this, however it was a set limitation I couldn't get around, not my intention. In my opinion especially the two Bold devices shouldn't be considered equal as they are both physically feature wise rather different.
    05-02-10 01:30 PM
    8330 Curve

1. Build quality

– Yes, protective case and screen protector. Body Glove and Sprint, respectively.

– I went through a few Curves before I got a "good one," but once I did, it performed flawlessly up until the end, when it started rebooting itself when it felt so inclined.

– Aforementioned rebooting of itself, especially when I tried to get videos or other media to play. This only started occurring after about 1.5 years.

– I'm sorry, but reading this portion gave me ADD for some reason and I am unable to discern what you were asking.

– Mostly satisfied, aside from the rebooting.

– Not that I know of.

- I've never used it, but I like the idea of RIM having its own App World --- I never know what shady stuff is going on with 3rd party apps.

3. Battery life

– No. It lasted 3+ days without a charge if I put it in standby when not in use.

– Satisfied.

– I would not like a non-removable battery... What if I had to do a battery pull?!
    05-02-10 01:41 PM
    @CaraP I'm sorry for any confusion. Can you try answering this? Before you bought your BlackBerry did you have a look at other smartphones like the Palm Pre, iPhone or Droid? If you did, then do you believe you made a good choice by going BlackBerry and are you satisfied with how many applications there are available for you to download? If you didn't look at other smartphones, can you explain why did you buy particularly a BlackBerry device? For example could it have been personal preference, the fact it's a BlackBerry or anything else? Thank you much!
    05-02-10 02:14 PM
    @CaraP I'm sorry for any confusion. Can you try answering this? Before you bought your BlackBerry did you have a look at other smartphones like the Palm Pre, iPhone or Droid? If you did, then do you believe you made a good choice by going BlackBerry and are you satisfied with how many applications there are available for you to download? If you didn't look at other smartphones, can you explain why did you buy particularly a BlackBerry device? For example could it have been personal preference, the fact it's a BlackBerry or anything else? Thank you much!
    Thanks for clarifying!

No, I did not look at any other smartphones... to be honest, when I first got the idea that I wanted a Blackberry, I didn't even know about the existence of other smartphone devices. I wanted a Blackberry because I thought it looked cool and I was always too lazy to fire up my laptop (so I wanted something convenient for when I wanted to go online or check emails). Hope that answers your question!
    05-02-10 02:32 PM
    Personally, I have never had an issue with any BlackBerry smartphone. It is the reason I continue to buy them. I have had the 8330, 9000, 9700, and the 9630. No issues with any. Actually, the devices have become more solid in build, more features, and better performance with each new device. Battery life has been particularly good with all of the devices, especially the 9700. I like the selection of applications in App World. I have considered other devices/platforms, but they don't accommodate my needs like a BlackBerry smartphone. I use my device for work related tasks and leisure activities and am satisfied how my BlackBerry smartphone handles both. I'm not one for accessories, but the accessories I have bought were sufficient. Overall, I have no complaints about my BlackBerry experience.

05-02-10 02:36 PM
    @CaraP thank you very much, that is even more than I asked for, which is good!

@dwaynewilliams thank you too for your contribution!
    05-02-10 02:42 PM
    1. Build quality

� When purchasing a BlackBerry do you also consider purchasing protection for it (protective case / screen protector / pouch / holster) ?

*Always order a silicon case for light protection and non slick feel.

� Have you experienced 'common' problems with your BlackBerry that caught widespread attention (e.g. initial Tour 9630 trackball problems / Storm2 screen clicking issues, et cetera) ?

*Reload Software 552 errors
    Technical Issue error
    Loose battery door on original 9630

� Has anything unexpected happened with your BlackBerry, that you can not link to previous physical damage happened to the device itself (e.g. keyboard letters falling off, trackball/trackpad sensitivity issues, USB port malfunction, et cetera) ?

*No

� Prior to purchasing your BlackBerry, did you research other platform options ? If positive, does the amount of applications currently available for the BlackBerry platform affect your experience ? If negative, what was the main reason you bought your BlackBerry (if you have a work issued device, please mention that).

*Yes, researched other options.
    Applications available for BlackBerry is a positive for me. Useful and affordable.

� Are you satisfied with the reliability of the software running on your BlackBerry ? Have you ever experienced any random crashes or freezing not linkable to be the cause of 3rd party software ?

*No. 9630/5.0.0.591 official VZW OS unreliable. Previous VZW official OS also unreliable. Both OSs have bugs that causes errors.

� Is there any important functionality previously available on a software revision that was omitted in a recent upgrade ? If positive, what functionality are you missing ?

*No.

� Do you believe it is beneficial to support the App World model for distributing software for BlackBerry devices or do you prefer downloading any 3rd party software Over-the-Air directly from the developer?

*Prefer downloading from vendor site or CrackBerry App Store.

3. Battery life

*No

� Are you satisfied with the battery life you currently get with your BlackBerry ? If positive, please describe how much usage does your BlackBerry see for the better part of the day. If negative, do you consider yourself a 'power user' ?

*Yes, satisfied.
    5 hours heavy use
    9 hours medium use
    24 hours light use (no browser use)

� Would it affect you in case future BlackBerry devices will ship with a fixed, non-removable battery ? If positive, when have you had the need to swap or pull out the battery ?

*No

05-02-10 03:15 PM
    I've had an 8110, 9000, 9500 and 9530. To say any of them operated any better that the others would not really be possible. the other before the 9550 were not updated as much as this one. The build quality I found to be the same on all devices. well built. Even this device I have no issues other than OS issues. I might be lucky, I don't know. I never really paid attention to any of the criteria you are requesting so I might as well just be taking up space.

Sorry.
    05-02-10 03:24 PM
    @chrisy520 thank you for the detailed reply, much appreciated!

@MobileMadness002 no problem, your reply is actually of much use in my research. Do you mind if I at some point come back to you via PM for asking more questions? Thank you!
    05-03-10 09:34 AM
    TOUR 9630. Purchased roughly 3 weeks ago.

1. Build quality

Screen protector - Epik case - Bold9700 holster

None at all

None at all

I researched other platforms, but I love the Tour. I got no complaints

The reliability is great, granted there have been 1-2 crashes while on Viigo, but besides that, not a big deal at all

Nope

Hmm..as long as I can get my apps easily, there is no concern

3. Battery life

Nope
    Yes, so far I can go up to 10 hours with medium use
    05-04-10 03:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD