Ive never had a BB before until last month. My previous cell phones would be on a 3 year contract and they end up crapping out after the one year warranty

We all know how expensive BBs are over $400+, so if your BB craps out on you after a year or ends up being damaged for whatever reason and you didnt get the extended warranty, do you suck it up and buy a brand new BB and pay full price or did you insure it and have some coverage on it to save some money in the end?? Hope it makes sense
    09-08-09 03:27 PM
    Damn 3 year contracts?

I have had issues with my old 8320 curve such as dust under the screen, but t-mobile sent me a replacement because the phone has a 1 year warranty and had no insurance.
    I been good with my 8900 with no insurance, just have to be careful.
    09-08-09 03:44 PM
    I have had the insurance on all my phones regardless of cost. This is my first bb and it of course has the insurance as well. A lot of people say it's a waste of money but I am very clumsy so makes me feel better having it, case in point dumped my psp in toilet first 2 wks I had it. Was not a new psp, christmas gift from bro used and over a yr old though barely used. Thankfully I was able to revive it after many hours and times of tearing it apart wearing gloves of course lol
    Last edited by angelgirl_97868; 09-08-09 at 03:51 PM. Reason: clarification
    09-08-09 03:46 PM
    This is actually the first cell phone I've had insurance on, because honestly, it feels like the first time I'm truly invested in a device -- not just financially, but also because so much of my life is contained in the BlackBerry's innards. I'd rather pay the $7 a month and only have to pay a small deductible than to have to shell out a ton of money should something go wrong!

Hopefully, though, my 8330 will continue to be the solid little workhorse it's been so far.
    09-08-09 04:08 PM
    I have never had insurance on a phone and will never have
    insurance on a phone, regardless of cost. Which in the case
    of my current one was a whole whopping $7
    09-08-09 04:11 PM
    Never done the insurance thing either especially on Blackberry. I drop my
    phones so much that they still work anyway.

Recently I bought an iPhone and AT&T doesn't offer insurance on it. And I
    wasn't going to go through Apple's insurance otherwise that would mean a
    trip to the Apple store. Well this past Saturday I almost dropped the phone
    and I got to thinking of how easily it can break due to my history of dropping
    phones. I decided to take the the phone back eventhough I really didn't want to.

Bottom line, I would never get insurance for a Blackberry. For an iPhone, yes.
    09-08-09 04:32 PM
    A gentleman I work with accidently got his phone taken out with the trash this past weekend. $50 and two days later, he has a new phone thanks to insurance. It can really come in handy.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-08-09 05:38 PM
    I'm fully insured, which covers theft, damage and, the funny part, malicious damage. Which means I can throw it on the floor and get a new one! Not that I'd ever do that to my sweet BB

Worth the �6 a month.

Chris.

09-08-09 06:49 PM
    I have never had insurance on any of my phones either....but then again i take care of my phones and try to barely drop it
    09-08-09 06:58 PM
    I have had it on all my phones and on my 3G usb modem. Have had all replaced (except the BlackBerry, so far) at least once or twice. Sometimes it's been my own fault (damage caused by me), other times it's been the device itself which failed and was replaced promptly.

09-08-09 07:53 PM
    I've had insurance on my phones since I went to smartphones. My old Nokia phones were never insured but they were only 12 month contracts and the phones came with 12 month warranty so if it broke it would be fixed.

When I got the Sony Ericsson P800 I took out insurance and I've kept it on for every phone since.

It costs me �5 per month, I get a replacement phone couriered to any UK address in 24 hours so I'd much rather add �5 to my bill monthly and know I'm safe rather than gamble.
    09-08-09 08:19 PM
    I have never had insurance on any of my phones either....but then again i take care of my phones and try to barely drop it
    Oh, I'm the same way...but I just feel more secure in knowing I'm covered. Kinda like how I try so very hard not to get sick, but sure am grateful that I have insurance when I do! For me, the $7 is just peace of mind.
    09-08-09 09:05 PM
    Yes I have the asurion insurance that is optional on ur verizon account

09-08-09 09:18 PM
    Ive never had a BB before until last month. My previous cell phones would be on a 3 year contract and they end up crapping out after the one year warranty

We all know how expensive BBs are over $400+, so if your BB craps out on you after a year or ends up being damaged for whatever reason and you didnt get the extended warranty, do you suck it up and buy a brand new BB and pay full price or did you insure it and have some coverage on it to save some money in the end?? Hope it makes sense
    I'm a little confused since the fact that it hasn't even been a year since the BB 8900 came out. Enlighten me on how your warranty is over?
    09-08-09 09:45 PM
    Most insurance plans cost about an extra $5 a month multiply that by 12 months and then you always have to pay a deductible that ranges from $100 to $225 depending on the plan you have. It is not worth paying for the insurance because you are just giving them your money and still having to fork over some money. Most carriers will give you a partial discount after about six months of having service.
    09-08-09 09:46 PM
    I'm a little confused since the fact that it hasn't even been a year since the BB 8900 came out. Enlighten me on how your warranty is over?
    Sounds to me like she was just asking a general question about insurance, since she got her first BB last month. Though I dunno...can you buy insurance after a certain time period after phone purchase? I got my coverage immediately when I got my phone, but wasn't sure if there was a window of opportunity.
    09-08-09 09:51 PM
    My Asurion plan has been good so far. It's $7/month, and the deductible has been $50 ... If the damage was caused by me. If the unit just stopped working, there's no deductible. It's been quite worth it for me.

09-08-09 09:51 PM
    My Asurion plan has been good so far. It's $7/month, and the deductible has been $50 ... If the damage was caused by me. If the unit just stopped working, there's no deductible. It's been quite worth it for me.

Ha I guess I didn't read the post correct, but I think you have a limited time to add insurance and the phone has to be bought new from the store cannot be second hand owned.

T-Mobile gives you 14 days I believe before you are not qualified to add insurance, I know Verizon is even shorter.
    09-08-09 10:00 PM
    Yea, I seem to remember that now. When I first signed up with Sprint, I was going to decline it. The rep convinced me to add it, saying that the option would only be available for (I think) thirty days, that it would be better to take it, think about it, and then.cancel it if I didn't want it. I'm glad I took it and kept it.

09-08-09 10:08 PM
    Never had insurance, just isn't cost effective for me.
    09-08-09 10:16 PM
    Mine isn't insured.
    09-08-09 11:48 PM
    Yes it's insured.
    09-08-09 11:58 PM
    Yup, mine is insured.

Thnx, �Tripster�

09-09-09 12:24 AM
    no insurance, just don't feel it is worth it since I am usually very careful with my phone.

$5 a month over a 24 month contract = $120 + $125 deductable = $245
    I'd rather take the chance and if I happen to break my Bold I will buy a used 8310 for like $40 until I am up for a renewal.
    09-09-09 07:24 AM
    I don't have insurance on my Bold, but I take really good care of it, and I also keep my 8320 around just incase something was to happen to my Bold..
    09-09-09 07:33 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD