Hi guys. I been kinda free today at work and I did a bit of searching on the net for latets 2011 phones. I then came across superphones such as HTC and Motorola.

I wonder is RIM going to create a superphone(s)? Of course I am personally waiting to see how Dakota and Torch 2 works out but hey, can they be labelled as superphones?

Very worry-some for me as I don't want to see RIM losing the race! How about you?
    03-29-11 02:33 AM
    Why not get the playbok to hold u over til onx gets to phones?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-29-11 03:12 AM

I thought of getting a PB too but I will put that aside for the moment due to financial matters. However, my girl getting a tablet (god knows what) and I guess I can use hers for sometime
    03-29-11 03:42 AM
    I've been worried for a while now.... RIM doesn't seem to be keeping up in the phone catagory. I hope something pops soon or we'll all be using something else
    03-29-11 10:02 AM
    I'm not worried at all. If RIM doesn't come out with something that suits my needs then I will get something that does. I am not a one phone brand kind of woman. I will get what works for me on the network that works best for me. If it is a Blackberry then great. If it is an Android then great. If it is an iOS then great. Doesn't really matter to me as long as I can keep my self organized and in the loop for work and personal.
    SevereDeceit likes this.
    03-29-11 11:09 AM
    I don't think we'll all be using something else soon if RIM doesn't make what some perceive to be a superphone. RIM consistently produces solid devices that do, for the most part, what the buyers want them to do.

Besides... get a superphone and next thing you'll be worrying about is kryptonite, or at the least, where can I plug in to recharge?
    DAMION99 likes this.
    03-29-11 11:15 AM
    I don't know about anyone else, but my 9700 already is a super phone. What more do I need it to do?
    03-29-11 11:30 AM
    I'm extremely happy w/ my MyTouch 4G. It does tons that I never dreamed could be done on a phone. But, I'm really hoping that the future QNX BB devices will be something completely fresh & different.
    03-29-11 11:42 AM
    Yeah, I don't understand the hype about a "superphone". What does that even mean? If the device works for you, then it does. If it doesn't, get something else.

I don't need a toaster that also makes coffee. I just need it to make good toast.

And why is it a "race"? Totally, don't understand that at all.
    03-29-11 11:46 AM
    Yeah, I don't understand the hype about a "superphone". What does that even mean? If the device works for you, then it does. If it doesn't, get something else.
    This. If you're happy, that's all that should matter. The thing w/ evolving tech, though, is that most likely there's something out there that you don't even realize that would be beneficial to you. For example, when I had my Sidekick I thought it was a messaging beast. I couldn't imagine anything that I would like more. Then I got a blackberry & was introduced to BBM. After using a BB for several months (my main reason for leaving? my eyes needed a bigger screen) & moving to Android, I realized that this was the multitasking powerhouse that I was looking for. Of course I missed BBM, but everything else made up for it & then some.

This is just an example of what I've gone through. I know everyone won't have the same experiences.
    03-29-11 12:14 PM
    I can't WAIT till April First when I get my PlayBook!
    03-29-11 12:46 PM

Why would someone get a tablet when they are looking for a better smartphone? You are asking them to enter a completely different market.
    pantlesspenguin and howarmat like this.
    03-29-11 12:56 PM
    Why would someone get a tablet when they are looking for a better smartphone? You are asking them to enter a completely different market.
    I completely agree w/ this. Tablets are neat devices, but I have a relatively new laptop & a great smartphone. I'm not so much of a gadget geek that I feel the need to get things like tablets if I don't have a need for them in my day-to-day life.
    03-29-11 01:00 PM
    I'm not worried at all. If RIM doesn't come out with something that suits my needs then I will get something that does. I am not a one phone brand kind of woman. I will get what works for me on the network that works best for me. If it is a Blackberry then great. If it is an Android then great. If it is an iOS then great. Doesn't really matter to me as long as I can keep my self organized and in the loop for work and personal.
    +1 I'm going to get an Android based device next time out, RIM is falling farther and farther behind. CurveTouch isn't enough to keep me around.
    03-29-11 01:00 PM
    I completely agree w/ this. Tablets are neat devices, but I have a relatively new laptop & a great smartphone. I'm not so much of a gadget geek that I feel the need to get things like tablets if I don't have a need for them in my day-to-day life.
    Exactly. I'm a gadget geek and I have absolutely no interest in a tablet. My smartphones can do everything the tablet can, and I have a MacBook Pro.
    SevereDeceit likes this.
    03-29-11 01:13 PM
    The problem is, the "gadget geeks" often (wrongly) assume that everyone else wants/needs a superphone.

Losing the race? RIM is a business. How can you be losing the race when you are turning record profits every quarter?
    DAMION99 likes this.
    03-29-11 02:42 PM
    I still dont get that....Rim has been losing the race while putting up record number of sales every year......weird
    03-29-11 03:06 PM
    I still dont get that....Rim has been losing the race while putting up record number of sales every year......weird
    It is because people get confused. They are gaining more and more users and selling more and more devices. At the same exact time, the smartphone market in general is gaining more and more users, and other platforms are gaining more and more share more rapidly than RIM. For RIM, they are making more and more money every time, but in the smartphone world, they aren't gaining fast enough compared to say Google and Apple.

RIM is still making a ton of profit and that's all that matters. Until they start declining in profit, then their will be some problems.
    03-29-11 03:13 PM
    And part of the problem is that some self-selected group of users has decided for themselves what "the race" is independent of the direction that RIM wants to go. And RIM was never targeting that self-selected group anyway.

So that group then deems that RIM is "losing the race" and "failing" on the parameters that this self-selected group has dictated, when RIM was never even trying to go down that road in the first place.

RIM seems to be doing okay for themselves.

But if they "fail" and go out of business, then I will chose another device that meets my needs.

I certain won't "worry" about it now or then either.
    03-29-11 07:15 PM
    I really...really like this! +1
    03-29-11 08:27 PM
    It is because people get confused. They are gaining more and more users and selling more and more devices. At the same exact time, the smartphone market in general is gaining more and more users, and other platforms are gaining more and more share more rapidly than RIM. For RIM, they are making more and more money every time, but in the smartphone world, they aren't gaining fast enough compared to say Google and Apple.

RIM is still making a ton of profit and that's all that matters. Until they start declining in profit, then their will be some problems.
    And...I am confused

You have a very good point here. Some sort of 'opening' my eyes at RIM..for a bit.
    03-29-11 08:28 PM
    A phone is a phone. There are a few gripes (email truncation and lack of a decent free email client, though Logicmail is getting better and better), but man it's nice to have a 50-70% charge at the end of the day and if I did forget to charge my phone it's not the end of the world. You can't do that on a lot of Android handsets. I do wish the CPU were faster for better web browsing but they finally got the new devices this year with 1.2 GHz processors which with the current OS even would run very nice I know it. The webkit browser is not bad in itself but it's definitely needing a little more punch to run good. I'm sure even Adobe Flash will be coming sooner than later.

RIM learned a lot from their mistake of falling behind and really got smart buying QNX. But in the end, it's a phone! I mean it has a great keyboard, makes good quality calls, gets amazing reception, and has amazing battery life. I mean it may not be the flashiest but I can at least do a lot of the things I need to do finally.
    Last edited by MisterObvious; 03-30-11 at 06:30 AM.
    03-30-11 06:28 AM
    Minus the iOS just because I don't like apple and their environment. I haven't tried Android, is it that much different from linux? If it isn't I'm surprised it's doing so well since linux has never taken hold consumer computers. Linux is OK but still takes a lot more tweeking etc. to get things running.
    03-30-11 06:49 AM
    Very worry-some for me as I don't want to see RIM losing the race! How about you?
    It would suck to see RIM fall, but this definitely won't happen for a loooonnnggggg time if they did. They still have so many people that rely on their servers/business. This is just how the electronic world is, there is new smartphone technology coming out every few months.
    03-30-11 10:35 AM
    Not worried. Like many have said....I will buy what suits me best next go around....

Currently with the Torch and have realized that I may have outgrown it

Ill probably get the iP5 when it comes out...(depending on specs)
    03-30-11 03:05 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD