Nobody knows about the product. I meet lots of different people in my line of work and they have no clue about blackberry. They think these phones are just regular old blackberry devices. Most are shocked when you let them play around with a bb10 phone.

Posted via CB10
    Lawrie Sherratt likes this.
    04-04-14 12:19 PM
    Need to understand what you require in multitasking as I had a look at the Android way to do multitasking & thought it wasn't fluid or even natural. Si I decided to stay with BlackBerry 10 instead. I think it is alot more convenient to just swipe up & switch to the next app rather than press a button for a long time to wait for the list of open apps & then choose the one I want.

Posted via CB10
    "Press a button for a long time to wait for the list of open apps"? What Android did you use? Its instant.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    04-04-14 03:56 PM
    Are we talking about the company or the OS? The OS has come a long way. It still has a ways to go but is showing potential. The problem is do they have enough time?

I think everything points to them leaving behind, for the most part, the consumer handset business. They don't have the means to take on Apple and Google. They will focus on enterprise, BBM, security, etc.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    JeepBB and Drew808 like this.
    04-04-14 04:00 PM
    I like that they are committed to keeping existing customers happy. If that means bringing back the Bold, and they can make money at it, then great.
    Time will tell if BB10 ever catches on in the mainstream. And I believe time is BB's biggest challenge right now.

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums mobile app
    04-04-14 04:27 PM
    Focusing on their biggest money-maker ENTERPRISE is a unclear direction to you ? This means less focus to consumers for time being yes... but it's a clear path to keep the company alive.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    A clear path that runs head-first into the bring-your-own-device trend that has been accelerating for years.
    04-04-14 04:51 PM
    A clear path that runs head-first into the bring-your-own-device trend that has been accelerating for years.
    Yes?... how is that a problem ? BES10/12 is all about BYOD...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    04-04-14 04:56 PM
    A year ago, there was hope.

Now, only confusion left.
    04-04-14 05:00 PM
    The BB7 lingerers are hilarious.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    and yet, they're probably one of the most important sources of income for the company...
    JeepBB, th.1977 and TgeekB like this.
    04-04-14 05:03 PM
    My personal take is they've done a really good job in getting the OS to be as stable and functional as it is. It's not perfect, but neither are the other platforms.

With each platform, you just have to be able to live with whatever imperfections there are. My primary concerns and expectations from a device and platform are appropriately met by BB10's latest software. I don't crave for a bunch of apps, and other offerings that Apple of Android provide. I need it to do what it's currently doing.

Therefore from my perceptive, getting the OS to this point is a job well done. Minor tweaks here and there for sure, but overall from where it came...like night and day almost.
    04-04-14 05:12 PM
    a "guy who worked IT at Telus for years knew nothing about BB10"? He must be living in total isolation. I certainly won't want him to be my IT guy. Whatever happened to Professional Development Education courses for this guy? Doesn't he read Tech news? SMH
    As someone who works in the IT industry and as a BES Admin I can tell you I think you'll find, with BlackBerry in such dire straights the last few years, almost nobody in the IT industry is paying attention to what BlackBerry is doing, much less teaching people about it in professional development courses. BlackBerry only hits the headlines of the tech news media when its stock tanks or there's some kind of goof up like a mass NOC infrastructure outage - only negative reasons.

It doesn't surprise me at all that an IT guy who worked for a carrier didn't know anything about BB10. He's focused on his job and the technologies that matter to deliver what he has to do. Just shows you BlackBerry tech doesn't come in to that equation as much as people on CrackBerry might think, and beyond mobile push email and PIM services it never really did for most Enterprises over the last 12 years.

Posted via CB10 on Z30 STA100-2 /10.2.1.2141 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.1
    Flatman and JeepBB like this.
    04-04-14 05:12 PM
    and yet, they're probably one of the most important sources of income for the company...
    It is. But it's also their biggest problem. Continuous decline and they need companies on BES to offset the lost subs in BIS

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    04-04-14 05:15 PM
    I'm impressed. I was under the impression we'd never survive after the release of Storm and Storm II. But, here we are, Z10, Q10 and Z30 later, to name a few.

Now with Mr. Chen I charge, let's see what he helps deliver in the next 12 months.
    04-04-14 05:17 PM
    OS7..... They needed to kill it.
    What exactly have they "done" with it except negotiate a cheap run with old models (no new hardware) and put on an OS that hasn't been updated in years (no new software) except to grab a bit of cash.

Go into an apple store and try to buy something with IOS3 on it and they will look at you and then the door....
    No, but you can buy older iPads and older iPhones. Also, Apple's new products typically sell a ton in the first weekend/quarter, then level off to more normal demand which is robust. If BlackBerry 10 sales had such a giant spike and stayed high, I'm sure you wouldn't be able to buy 9900s either. Reality is that it didn't and there is enough demand that it's being made. It's a high return, low investment product for them at the moment because there is demand and they aren't really spending anything on it.

It's dead and they should have gone all in with bb10, by building new devices they are giving customers a reason not to upgrade, and that's a massive fail.
    I'm not sure they'd even be alive if that had happened. As much as I think BlackBerry OS needed to go as a platform, the service revenues are helping keep the company alive at the moment.
    JeepBB and BB_Junky like this.
    04-04-14 06:10 PM
    It is. But it's also their biggest problem. Continuous decline and they need companies on BES to offset the lost subs in BIS

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    Trouble is each device on BES10 only brings in as little as a quarter of the revenue that a legacy device on BIS or BES did. The revenue increases if the device is in a Regulated industry and has to be Work Space only, but it still doesn't make up the revenue they used to get.

BlackBerry actually need BES10 customers to start hooking up less secure iOS and Android devices in regulated Enterprises so they can get the mega bucks from the Secure Work Space container CALs. So far my sources indicate that BES10 CAL purchases of any kind are not happening in big enough numbers yet.

It was a high risk strategy expecting BES10 revenue to replace BIS and BES service revenue. I worry that they don't have much else up their sleeves for new revenue streams although I didn't see BBM Stickers coming I must admit. Whether that proves to be a high profit money spinner or not who knows.

04-04-14 06:46 PM
    a "guy who worked IT at Telus for years knew nothing about BB10"? He must be living in total isolation. I certainly won't want him to be my IT guy. Whatever happened to Professional Development Education courses for this guy? Doesn't he read Tech news? SMH
    Many IT professionals have a particular area that they cover. Being the "IT guy" doesn't mean you're up to speed on EVERY new technology, device, exploit, area of expertise, etc., that your company covers. There's too many possibilities. The guy could be a top level server guy. If he's focused on his job duties, why would you require him to know about a product that other people in the company work with. I work in IT for a law firm, would you expect me to be able to provide legal advice?
    johnnyuk likes this.
    04-04-14 06:58 PM
    I am very impressed with the devices and the OS, but the marketing is terrible.... I don't know a single person in my circle of co-workers or friends that would even consider BlackBerry.. When they see my Z30 that think it is great and a cool phone, but to get rid of their Iphone or Android for a BlackBerry??? Not a chance........They need to give people a reason to return to BB
    04-04-14 07:00 PM
    Yes

Posted via Q10
    04-04-14 07:02 PM
    I have mixed impressions:

2. Fairly frequent and significant updates on most carriers
    3. Reasonably good productivity features
    4. Battery life is better than many phones

Dislikes:
    1. UI is still not optimal, especially for the Q devices.
    2. Still too much reliance on Android or ported apps.
    3. Battery life appears inconsistent across models, and could be even longer.
    04-05-14 12:10 AM
    I am very impressed with the devices and the OS, but the marketing is terrible.... I don't know a single person in my circle of co-workers or friends that would even consider BlackBerry.. When they see my Z30 that think it is great and a cool phone, but to get rid of their Iphone or Android for a BlackBerry??? Not a chance........They need to give people a reason to return to BB
    Exactly.... Everyone assumes BBRY is that old outdated qwerty keyboard stuff that they grew board of as soon as modern day smart phones became available. At one time, we were the only ones reading emails on our phones...we had BBM, we could work on different doc. related items....etc.
    Now every phone does it with more and more coming up every month, what's App, txting, many do thing BBRY can't do yet properly like a simple link with outlook! Sure the old Bold device are "selling more than BB10" but once their existing contracts run out...do you think they will want to stick around....so many are two device carriers and looking to drop one device for a do all set up.
    It used to be a Status Quo to be seen using a BBRY, now it's just another behind device that wants to go backwards before "moving forward" like their theme.

Sent from my super secret shoe device using Tapatalk HD
    04-05-14 08:03 AM
    As someone who works in the IT industry and as a BES Admin I can tell you I think you'll find, with BlackBerry in such dire straights the last few years, almost nobody in the IT industry is paying attention to what BlackBerry is doing
    Absolutely true to the point where it looks like BBRY cant repair damage anymore.
    04-05-14 08:40 AM
    Are you really impressed with the strides BlackBerry has made in just over a year?-wp_20140402_002.jpg
    Here's the thing, from the UK, BlackBerry is virtually dead.
    Note the emphasis on ALL by foxtons. Neither a fad app, a fart app nor a game, but something prosumers would appreciate.
    04-05-14 08:45 AM
    Absolutely true to the point where it looks like BBRY cant repair damage anymore.

So the question is.... Do we hang on until the end? or do we cut ties and move on? I have an iPhone 5s and it does everything I need (and I'm sure everything most people need). My loyalty to BB comes from history, I have had BB's forever... It is strictly nostalgic at this point...

Let's be real, BB10 didn't cut it... plain and simple.... I have done my part.. I have purchased and used almost every BB10 device out there... I like it, but it just isn't making it....I always pull for the underdog and that holds true for BB.... We can (and will) have a million excuses... but at the end of the day... BB is toast...
    04-05-14 09:41 AM
    Agree! Chen's lack of marketing is becoming more and more conspicuous...And for those diehards who wouldnt try BB10 they're now giving them a trackpad...clever!...

Posted via CB10
    It's not just his lack of marketing. It's also his lack of focus and direction that are worrying me now. The BB7 thing and the no new high end touch for 2014 is concerning.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    04-05-14 10:25 AM
    Here's the thing, from the UK, BlackBerry is virtually dead.
    Note the emphasis on ALL by foxtons. Neither a fad app, a fart app nor a game, but something prosumers would appreciate.
    Trading Standards in the UK are going to have to clamp down on this kind of "all devices" lies, it's not in the Amazon Store either so it's not on any Kindle tablets.

However, I found the Foxtons app using Snap for BB10 and it runs (but the map feature crashes it, uses Google services perhaps?). So whether an app can be advertised as "available" or not on "all devices" is becoming one heck of a grey area. That's only set to get worse with other mobile platforms including Android VM runtimes of their own in future.

04-05-14 10:29 AM
    "Press a button for a long time to wait for the list of open apps"? What Android did you use? Its instant.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    It was my friend's Samsung S3. Don't know which OS build he is using but I guess it should be the latest as he used to be my IT Manager in a previous job.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-14 10:54 AM
119 12345