I have become someone that I never thought I would become; someone who is obsessed with new smartphones. And this obsession is only with smartphones but it is getting bad. Last year I actually created a thread "Why are we Updating Every Year". I teased people for updating their devices for incremental upgrades turned my nose up to those who switched carriers two, three, four times for the latest devices. But I have done exactly that. I'm obsessed. These aren't things that I am proud of, but I do think that the irony is hilarious. Some of the things I do:

I go to the local cellphone stores on a weekly basis. I make sure I hit all of them to check out the latest devices. But I do my homework first. I search the web for reviews on devices then check them out in the store. I will do this even if I have just bought a new device. I have so many business cards from cellphone salesman its crazy.

I have switched carriers three times in the last year. I have had four BBs, two Iphones, flip-phone, and Samsung Instinct. One of my New Year's resolutions is to keep the same smartphone for at least the remainder of this year.

Everyday, I check the tech websites for new devices. I check about a dozen of them. I read all of the reviews and spec sheets. Vocabulary like UMTS, Qualcomm, OTA, ETF, Android, push email, etc. Have found itself in my casual conversations.

I believe that I have a bug of some sort. I smile when the keys to my brand new 9700 light up when I'm up in the middle of the night posting threads like this in the dark. I'm smartphone obsessed. I even tried giving the smartphone up once. I lasted strongly for a week, but couldn't muster the energy to go on any further than that.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-18-10 05:30 AM
    What you have is called neophilia and I think a lot of us in the forums share it. Welcome to the new age of mental, brotha
    01-18-10 05:34 AM
    I'm feeling ya man! I got the bug too, but I don't have a crap load of devices like you, I'm pretty content with the storm 2 but I would love to try new stuff like that all the time. Unfortunately Verizon is the only carrier that will work in my area so anything GSM is out. I've heard AT&T is really sketchy anyway, but it would be awesome to try out an iphone.
    01-18-10 06:04 AM
    Much as I love new and different I am tied to reliable and functional. Function leads the way in my life. I will let others lead the way in new while I keep to what works until something comes along that works even better.
    01-18-10 06:51 AM
    I am obsessed with functional. The next crop of phones I already plan to ignore
    as they are really just retreads of what we currently have /had.
    01-18-10 08:42 AM
    I am obsessed with functional. The next crop of phones I already plan to ignore
    as they are really just retreads of what we currently have /had.
    How can you ignore them? I understand not buying them, but how are you not intrigued by the new devices coming out? They get better all the time.

01-18-10 09:10 AM
    How can you ignore them? I understand not buying them, but how are you not intrigued by the new devices coming out? They get better all the time.
    Very easily. Again, I care about function and reliability. New does not impress me.
    01-18-10 09:24 AM
    i have an obsession with "the new" ....i dont buy everything new that i see, but i really do like to investigate and find out all the info on whatever is new...so i guess im more so obsessed with the info
    01-18-10 10:19 AM
    Ever since I got my first BB I got hooked on new Smartphone technology. I'm not necessarily obsessed with getting the newest, best thing, but I love reading up on what's new, what each device can do, that sort of thing. I did switch carriers once though (from US Cellular to Verizon, I couldn't handle not having 3G anymore...) and I did get a new BB, which I'd been itching for.

I think more than anything I'm obsessed with BlackBerry. I can realize where it falls sort, and I have no problem voicing those downfalls. I want a strong messaging phone, that's what's most important to me, and the BB platform delivers. I understand it's not the best for everyone, but it's the best for me, so I want to know everything about it, learn as much as I can. Ever since I got started on this site, I can't keep away, all the information out there, my girlfriend doesn't understand it... she thinks I'm weird.
    01-18-10 11:03 AM
    I can definitely understand. I've switched from Tmobile (Curve 8320), to Sprint (Instinct), to Tmobile again (G1), then to Verizon (Storm), and then back to Tmobile. I love electronics: especially cell phones. I'm always on YouTube looking at anything from cell phones, to computers, and video games and systems. I have an EnV Touch right now but it's just not good enough after using smartphones, so I will be getting the Tour 2 and maybe the Storm 2 now thats its a better phone. Im also looking at the Droid and the Palm Pre Plus...decisions..decisions... Maybe I could use a little counseling. My friends sure think I need it
    Last edited by CelesteB; 01-18-10 at 11:08 AM.
    01-18-10 11:06 AM
    I have never switched carries just for a phone, but use to buy them at full price. Those were definitely the dumbest decisions I've made. All new smartphones pretty much have the same feature with a different form and brand. I like to check out what's upcoming and all the reviews. The only phone I'd consider right now is the Nexus One coming for verizon soon.
    01-18-10 11:59 AM
    i'm still immune to this new bug.
    01-18-10 12:09 PM
    wow u really are addicited to getting new phones every like month it seems thats crazy

01-18-10 12:14 PM
    I think the first time in over 2 years im finally satisfied with my phone this is something new for me considering I have had 4 devices in the past year
    01-18-10 12:32 PM
    I buy a new phone every 6 months. So i feel you. I just get bored with the 8330 so I bought the 8530 one month ago.

But I will never go to another carrier for a new phone. I love Verizon and did not have good experience with Sprint or AT&T.

This summer I think I will get the Tour 2 or Storm 2 or what ever cool new device Verizon has.
    01-18-10 12:40 PM
    As far as Blackberries go, after the 8900 my giddyness for new devices ended.

Right now I'm more giddy about the 4th gen iPhone that will probably be introduced
    on the 27th of this month.
    01-18-10 01:23 PM

Right now I'm more giddy about the 4th gen iPhone that will probably be introduced
    Where did you hear that?

01-18-10 02:01 PM
    Where did you hear that?

Ruh roh, it’s official: Apple is holding an event on January 27 Boy Genius Report

If not the hardware, probably OS 4.0
    01-18-10 02:52 PM
    Probably the itablet thingie. I, too, am obsessed. Have paid a small fortune in ETFs in the past few years. The very thought of a new device makes my heart pound! There's something about a very large screen with a digital clock and animated weather right under it...
    01-18-10 03:34 PM
    I won't switch carriers for a new device, but will upgrade to the latest blackberry if it is a substantial improvement over my current device. So, if T-mobile gets a new BB that is a significant improvement over the Bold 9700, I will purchase it, discount or not.
    01-18-10 04:06 PM

Where did you hear that?

that will not be scheduled for january, that will be in the summer
    (the dual core iphone)

os 4.0 will be introduced at the event, so will the tablet and ilife 2010 most likely
    Last edited by shankeith; 01-18-10 at 09:01 PM.
    01-18-10 08:57 PM
    I can totally understand. 6 years ago I wouldn't even be caught with a cellphone let alone a smartphone, but that changed and I couldn't help but constantly find myself checking out the new phones. Then I got my first Blackberry and my life was changed forever. It's extremely hard for me to get through a day without that phone stuck to my belt and like you even though the phone is still relatively new I can't help but look ahead at what's coming. Although I'm not going into stores once a week to check out the phones, lack of funds keeps me from doing that lolz.
    01-18-10 09:41 PM
    I have switched carriers once for a phone. But I just enjoy reading the info and finding out how to better my device and my knowledge how to use it. I do like reading and checking out new devices too, but I do not find myself going to the stores unless it is something really worth looking at.
    01-18-10 10:05 PM
    I have switched carriers once for a phone. But I just enjoy reading the info and finding out how to better my device and my knowledge how to use it. I do like reading and checking out new devices too, but I do not find myself going to the stores unless it is something really worth looking at.
    I go into the stores because I like to have an opinion about the devices I'm reading reviews of. I can't always trust reviewers, so I have to see for myself. I had gone into the AT&T store about a dozen times before I pulled the trigger on the Iphone. And maybe a half dozen more times before I got the Bold 9700. I need to get a feeling about the device first. I feel like I need to stay informed about these things or I could make a bad choice like so many others. But I also just like playing around with smartphones. I always compare other devices to the one I have. I never have more than one at a time. I need to give full attention to the one I have. I have also gone back to specific models multiple times. I have had several 8330s. Most of all, I like to see the hype actualized. You hear so many things about these devices and I just want to know if its true or not. Its like being able to test drive any sports car you want. Even if you can't afford it, you still want to take it through its paces if you can. Smartphones are only going to get better. That's the great thing. There are so many possibilities and the technology is advancing very quickly. It is easy to get caught up in all the innovation.

01-18-10 10:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD