While I love the traditional front facing keyboard, and know there is a big market for a tablet style touchscreen like the storm, I can't help but feel like RIM needs one more form factor to branch between those who like the idea of a touchscreen, but aren't willing to give up the physical qwerty. Anyone agree?

I would love them to do a "riverstone" style vertical sliding qwerty, a la the palm pre. Its the best of both worlds, you get a good sized touchscreen, slider keyboard, and don't lose that quick, efficient messaging feel that I think you do with a horizontal slider, where you have to move the phone, wait for the screen to shift, then type.

I mean I think touch+physical keyboard users probably make up the highest majority of users out there, some love the tradition BB setup, and others like iphone users love the touch only and never want another physical. But I think most of us would fall somewhere in the middle.
    12-21-09 09:05 PM
    Aside from the Magnum, hopefully, RIM will have some innovative form factors (...as in innovative for BlackBerries) coming out in the near future.
    12-21-09 09:31 PM
    i personally don't prefer the sliding form factor,infact I'm quite happy with the form factor of my current device- it just feels perfect in my hands.
    12-22-09 01:14 AM
    Sliders have their pros and cons. With sliders, you have to worry about the durability of the hardware. Sliders tend to become loose and awkward after much use. The greatness in the front facing keyboard is the convenience if it. There aren't a lot of extra moving parts or manipulations of the device to do what you have to do. Its one of the reasons that BlackBerrys are so popular. I would wonder how the suspension type touchscreen on the Storm would compliment a slider keyboard?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-22-09 02:15 AM
    Yeah, a lot of us are happy with the current form factors while others want more similarities with other devices. I'm not one of the "mad scientist" engineers at RIM, so who's to say what the future of devices will be in the next year or two. But, it's always good to have choices which was the point of my original post.

Last edited by Blacklatino; 12-22-09 at 06:30 AM.
    12-22-09 04:33 AM
    Don't want a touchscreen.
    12-22-09 04:50 AM
    Yes I am. And as long as RIM never makes a phone the size of the Bold 9000
    (that thing is entirely too big) I will continue to be.
    12-22-09 04:55 AM
    I think the Magnum/Dakota is supposed to be that same size- unless something changed.

12-22-09 06:34 AM
    I disagree. I think the latest BB's are too small. The size of the Bold 9000 is perfect, or should I say it's width is. If they made another Bold, same width but slightly thinner side-on, I wouldn't be disappointed.

12-22-09 06:40 AM
    I disagree. I think the latest BB's are too small. The size of the Bold 9000 is perfect, or should I say it's width is. If they made another Bold, same width but slightly thinner side-on, I wouldn't be disappointed.
    Exactly. I love the size and shape of the 9000 other than being a bit on the thick side. Otherwise just right for my fat thumbs.

And a keyboard without slider is wonderful. No touch screens for this boy.
    12-22-09 07:48 AM
    The form factor isn't bad but they just keep reusing the same molds over and over and over lol I want something new.
    12-22-09 07:53 AM
    "Taste Great! No, Less Filling!" Lol. I know I'm not the only one that is old enough to remember the old beer commercial debates.
    Back on topic.
    Anyway, I have both BOLDs and are happy with both of their form factors. Same with my 8300, 8310, and my Pearl. But, because of all of the comments surrounding the issues with the original Storm, I'll wait on purchasing the Magnum when it's eventually released. I would like to see the keyboard/touch screen device in action and let them get the potential issues worked out. Haven't had one yet that didn't have some type of issue- even if it's the OS.

12-22-09 08:05 AM
    Ill start of by saying the reason I believe RIM is so redundant in its form factor is that it holds 41% of the smartphone market share meaning little grunts and hick-ups from customers here and their isn't hurting them at all. They are the smartphone kings. A new form factor could indeed bring some new customers and depending on how RIM does in the chinese market maybe new form factors will come if the chinese don't like what RIM already has to offer, but we in the states still may never get them. I think the fporm factor is solid, and I also believe another bold size device will come soon. I myself am using the 8830 right now so I love big phones!!

12-22-09 08:56 AM
    If they took the Pearl Flip and turned that into a slider I'd be all over it.
    12-22-09 09:26 AM
    If they took the Pearl Flip and turned that into a slider I'd be all over it.
    That's actually not a bad idea lol

12-22-09 09:40 AM
    My Curve is an extremely beautifully designed, ergonomical instrument. If it ain't broke ...

12-22-09 11:00 AM
    +1 on the 9000 Bold form factor, just make it touch screen and trackball/pad.
    12-22-09 11:01 AM
    I hope they stick with the current keyboard non-touch screen for at least one of their line. A majority of power users don't want to deal with touch screen.
    12-22-09 11:05 AM
    Yes I am. And as long as RIM never makes a phone the size of the Bold 9000
    (that thing is entirely too big) I will continue to be.

See I am the oposite, I want Rim to actually make a phone slightly larger then the Bold 9000
    I would like it thinner, but slightly larger, I spend the better part of the day with a blue tooth in my ear, if the phone is in my hand I am typing or reading, so I want a bigger screen, I would love the screen to be touch as well, I don't want a slider, that makes phones thicker, and I often keep the phone in the breast pocket of my shirt, thinner is better

I think my "dream dimentions" would be
    120mm x 72mm x 11mm @ 140grams
    perspective on that is
    BB 9000 (Bold)
    114mm x 66mm x 15mm @ 136grams
    BB 9630 (Tour )
    112mm x 62mm x 14.2mm @ 130grams
    BB 9700 (Bold)
    109mm x 60mm x 14.1mm @ 122grams
    12-22-09 01:03 PM
    Yea I myself love big phones, I just bought an obamaberry (8830 WE verizon brand) because I love big phones, and yes I know its old but my primary is the bold 9700 now (it was the droid for about 2 weeks). So anyway big blackberries rock and I hope rim puts out another one.

12-22-09 01:07 PM
    Im content with the BB form factor.

Just not the software.
    12-22-09 01:15 PM
    I like my bb 9700 but I wouldn't mind a slide out keyboard like the 'droid or even the Sidekick. They could expand the keyboard and make it easier to type this way.
    12-22-09 01:30 PM
    I like my bb 9700 but I wouldn't mind a slide out keyboard like the 'droid or even the Sidekick. They could expand the keyboard and make it easier to type this way.
    that is arguable

I had side slide out Phones, and I find the BB easier to type on, the spacing of the side slide is too far for fast 2 thumb typing, but too small to ever use fingers.
    12-22-09 01:33 PM
    Well one known as the magnum is on the horizon so you won't have to wait to long for this.

12-22-09 01:35 PM
    Yes, I think their non-touch devices with full qwerty keyboards are the best ones. That's what makes a BlackBerry a BlackBerry.
    12-22-09 01:46 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD