mid march is still Q1
    01-31-13 08:54 AM
    If it was all carrier issues,
    - Why delay BB10 to say it was to get carriers on board, then say you can't launch when the carriers aren't on board.
    - If it's only carrier related, why is it not available Sim Free, like Android devices through the Play store?
    This is not all on the carriers, not by a long shot.
    Here is a quote from an interview with Thor.... it clearly shows that it's not on BB....

"WSJ: Why the delay in the U.S.? Was it due to price negotiations or only lab testing? Are you disappointed with the delay in the U.S.?

Enlarge Image

Close.
    Mr. Heins: Carriers are very professional organizations, they know how to separate these two things [pricing negotiations versus lab testing]. They know if they leverage the lab entry process vs. pricing they lose, because they'll be late to market. The pricing negotiations as far as I know from my team are settled already. It's purely the testing procedure. They do the best they can. Would I have loved to see it earlier? Absolutely. Make no mistake everyone's trying to pull the date in—carriers and us collectively."

link to the article - RIM CEO Thorsten Heins on the U.S. Delay and Marketing Costs - WSJ.com
    01-31-13 08:54 AM
    Here is a quote from an interview with Thor.... it clearly shows that it's not on BB....

"WSJ: Why the delay in the U.S.? Was it due to price negotiations or only lab testing? Are you disappointed with the delay in the U.S.?

Enlarge Image

Close.
    Mr. Heins: Carriers are very professional organizations, they know how to separate these two things [pricing negotiations versus lab testing]. They know if they leverage the lab entry process vs. pricing they lose, because they'll be late to market. The pricing negotiations as far as I know from my team are settled already. It's purely the testing procedure. They do the best they can. Would I have loved to see it earlier? Absolutely. Make no mistake everyone's trying to pull the date in—carriers and us collectively."

link to the article - RIM CEO Thorsten Heins on the U.S. Delay and Marketing Costs - WSJ.com
    Number 1, this still doesn't explain why the devices aren't available Sim Free.
    Number 2, TH also said the delay from last August was to get carriers onboard.
    01-31-13 09:04 AM
    Awwww.....poor baby....are you serious????? "Epic mistake"? Really? Has the thought even crossed your mind that the US carriers don't really WANT to
    support Blackberry? There is enough pressure from customers to get Blackberry products that they reluctantly (yes, you heard me) are going to carry the
    Blackberry products to give the illusion of choice. They will not be knowledgeable. They will steer customers away from Blackberry, and over to Apple (notice I didn't mention Android).

The smartphone market is cutthroat as it is, and the carriers are going to push the products they want. In the US, it will be Apple over everything else.

My suggestion would be to not wait for the Z10 or Q10, and head over to your friendly neighborhood iSheep store and pick up an I5. Or an I4s. Or an I4. Doesn't
    really matter...they are all they same. Leave the tools to the big boys.

Grow up, man.
    While I agree with everything you said, I disagree with the bolded statement. Verizon is a HUGE proponent of Android. Go into one of their stores and they will push you right to the droid section, not apple.
    01-31-13 09:07 AM
    I actually think part of the problem is not the people who are throwing a fit because they want it "now", but because for many, reality is now starting to set in.

The truth is, many here have been delusional for a long time about RIM's chances, what BB10 can and will do, and what the future will be. I think, after today, a lot of people, at least on some level, are starting to get a better understanding of what RIM is up against, and that their is no enchanted game-changer to sweep the world. One only has to go back through the threads for a few weeks to find innumerable proclamations to that effect. RIM is going to be in for a very tough battle just to survive...and this was all completely predictable...just unpalatable for many.
    disagree.. although a lot was left out, without actually using the device you cannot make this statement...
    a lot of people and reviews are loviong the fluid and speed of the OS as well as the transitions and the gestures..but still it'll take time for people to love it.. just like the iphone and android!

remember when android first came out.. OH GOSH THAT WAS HORRIBLE! i bought the G1 on launch day on tmobile cause i was visiting the states ....and i sold it after a month!

BB10 does have gaps at the moment.. but what BRAND NEW platform doesn't? doesn't everything work with windows 8? no.. did everything work with jellybean when it first came out? no...

what makes BB10 so different?

The Samsung Galaxy S3 was announced in early MAY and it didn't hit the market in N.A. till June 27th... that's almost 2 months!! i know i waited and bought it on launch day in Canada...

just cause it's Blackberry's come back show doesn't mean people need to have a different perspective.. it's technology.. technology is never perfect.. and you know what?? the People in the States get to skip that initial growing pains.. by the time you guys get it, it'll probably have whatsapp, Skype or all those games .. and you guys will probably have an update or two that has gone by that fixes issues that the Crackberry team mentioned in their review and that Blackberry is working on.

because you guys are going to see and influx of threads complaining about other things like "no ringer in bedside mode" and some integration gaps and bugs.. There is no satisfy anyone whether u have it or not!

Blackberry is gonna stay 3rd no problem.. WP8 is not going to take over.. so with that said i think BB10 will drive people to it over a 6 month period... people are afraid to adopt to a new platform since all the other ones are so stable now with a crazy amount of apps! but once they see that the apps are coming and the phone is solid and FUN to use people will start buying it more and more..

and before u ask .. yes i have seen and used it and it's very fun to use.. i peek just for the **** of it!
    RHDJEEZY and MasterOfBinary like this.
    01-31-13 09:08 AM
    I think a lot of the "dumb Americans" sentiment is due to misreading why US BB fans are disappointed or angry-

I can wait a month or two for a phone, whatever. The pivotal issue is that I want to see BB10 succeed, and treating the US as a secondary market (you know, the country with Wall Street and the ability to make or break a company) is a HUGE misstep for BB. This is why I am mad. I would like the Z10 to not be my last Blackberry phone.

Sure, you can think that the American consumer doesn't matter all that much to the survival of a company, but our media sure does.
    Exactly. BB's growth in recent years has been in markets where most people won't be interested in paying $550+ for BB10 when they're satisfied with a $100 Curve from 2009 and a BBM plan. Of the few markets where BB10 can make an impact, the US is by far the largest with 9 million ACTIVE BB accounts. We can say "78 million" until we turn blue in the face; it doesn't change the fact that BB10 will be affordable for maybe 25% of those subscribers.
    01-31-13 11:09 AM
    Lesson learnt: You cannot please everyone, not at the same time, that is.
    What bugs me is that people are throwing around the word "Delayed", that would alone will kill BlackBerry. It's not delayed at all. It's still within the Q1 timeframe and we all knew the Q10 would release shortly after the Z10.
    Everyone one CB expected too much from the launch (myself included)
    BB12MX likes this.
    01-31-13 11:18 AM
    What if its not about any of that for some people???

personally, i still love BB10 and cant wait to get it, but still wonder where more of the AMAZING features like BBM Video and screen sharing are? QNX gives BB so much potential and on the opportunity to make a amazing first impression, they just didnt accomplish showing that potential in my opinion...
    ummm...the demoed BBM video and screen sharing
    01-31-13 11:19 AM
    I agree with those that say it's too early to judge how things will end up.....
    ...Everyone would be well served to remember that HULU was advertised on / for Playbook.
    ...****, I watched a RIM rep demo HULU on his Playbook pre-launch.

The real test will be two months after the product is available - will Skype still function? Will it be like Hulu?
    ...The BB10 looks so far like a killer phone - I'm liking EVERYTHING I see so far.
    ...RIM knows better than any of us how far into the soup they are.
    ...And I think they have the right guy in the Captains chair to navigate the company through the bad water.

May or June will be the time we know if RIM will rise from near ash or not......
    ....It's not going to be that bad waiting for March or April to see the phones in the stores.
    ....But yeah, I was really hoping I would be wrong and could see the device in Sprint mid Feb!
    BB12MX likes this.
    01-31-13 12:11 PM
    Why does this have to be a Canada vs. U.S. thing? Not cool.

I think what the OP was saying was at least it got released instead of being delayed again, if they did that they'd be torn apart just as much as they are now. And who said 8 weeks? In my time zone March starts in 4 weeks.
    Here is how I look at it...

everyone wants netflix on phones bc it is so awesome... well, how long did CANADA wait for netflix?
    game. set. match.

Stop complaining. I cold easily be complaining that I have to wait until Feb 5th when UK got it already...

and yea... i never got why people are saying EIGHT weeks... its ONE month, 4 weeks ...
    01-31-13 04:19 PM
    clinto, it's true wall street didn't like that....but these are relatively knee-**** reactions anyways. Long-term, the stock was always in trouble....the 8 weeks wouldn't matter either way. Just as the future of RIM was always in trouble...8 weeks...yes, it can cause some short-term pain, but even if the phones were out tomorrow, the long-term forecast would be about the same. I agree, (as I stated in another thread) that they'd probably be better off announcing later, if that's the best they can do, but....even though I described it as "THE" big mistake of today, long-term, things were grim yesterday, today, and tomorrow.

People don't like to hear that of course, but I think the more thoughtful can see more clearly why I have been saying that now. :-(
    We had naysayers like richard one year ago, 6 months ago, 3 months ago, a month ago and now of course at launch he continues to beat the drum of Blackberrys demise.......Keep keeping on......if you wish hard enough, it just might happen then you can come on here and really celebrate.....and then hopefully that will be the end of your "contributions" to this site..........Infraction well taken......
    01-31-13 04:28 PM
    On top of that we get pump up so much that we set an unrealistic expectation about the apps, the availability and the usability of the device. Some of us just crash really hard.
    01-31-13 05:14 PM
    Here is how I look at it...

everyone wants netflix on phones bc it is so awesome... well, how long did CANADA wait for netflix?
    game. set. match.

Stop complaining. I cold easily be complaining that I have to wait until Feb 5th when UK got it already...

and yea... i never got why people are saying EIGHT weeks... its ONE month, 4 weeks ...
    You're comparing apples to oranges.

In nearly every business sector that does business globally, the US is the key market. We're the hub of product perceptions and consumer impressions.

My state alone has more people than Canada and a larger economy, to boot. If we use Netflix as an example, which market do you think they're going to enter into first? California or Canada?

California is the obvious choice between the two (minus the fact that Netflix is located in San Jose)- Netflix had to overhaul their entire streaming catalog to accommodate Canadian ISP data caps. Canada isn't the "tech capital" of the world- San Jose (which happens to be in California) is.

If you want to talk about market penetration, the areas where markets are strongest are more important. Stronger markets mean the market perceptions of products have a far wider reach. Do you think that if a revolutionary, new, gamechanging product were to be brought to market in Nunavut that anyone in BC or Ontario would necessarily care? No, because Nunavut's market influence is marginal at best.
    01-31-13 05:17 PM
    OK, I'm disappointed on some things and happy on others.

Wanted WhatsApp. Got it.
    Wanted Instagram. Didn't get it.

Wanted it at 549 off contract. It will be 600 - 650
    Wanted to get it right away - will have to wait to at least March.
    Wanted white, wished for red. White is only Verizon and I'm on AT&T.
    By losing BIS there is question as to how email will come in, with a possible fifteen minute delays. Dang it if my SGIII and my iPhone will get emails faster THAN A BLACKBERRY.
    Profiles have changed and won't have the depth of customisation as I have now.

This isn't a matter of being grateful or ungrateful. There was no grace to be got here. This is a product, not a present. This is a company that produces something that I want to purchase using money that I earned. This is not a gift. They are not doing me any favours. Gratefulness does not play into it.
    You can get a white one from Koodoo in Canada off contract for $550.

Sent from my vBlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    01-31-13 06:17 PM
    1 - Not available SIM free to get all carriers on board. If they did offer that, they wouldn't have had as many carriers interested.
    2 - All major carriers got the test devices at the same time. Apparently some are faster than others.
    01-31-13 06:21 PM
    The devices are not available sim free because BB does not want to risk angering the carriers when currently the carriers have the upper hand in their relationship.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    cjcampbell likes this.
    01-31-13 06:26 PM
    1 - Not available SIM free to get all carriers on board. If they did offer that, they wouldn't have had as many carriers interested.
    2 - All major carriers got the test devices at the same time. Apparently some are faster than others.
    The devices are not available sim free because BB does not want to risk angering the carriers when currently the carriers have the upper hand in their relationship.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    Come on guys.
    First it's not BlackBerry's fault.
    Now they're choosing not to release the phone simply to keep a relationship with the carrier.
    If it's their choice, it's their fault.
    Come on, this is becoming cartoonish.
    01-31-13 07:01 PM
    You're comparing apples to oranges.

In nearly every business sector that does business globally, the US is the key market. We're the hub of product perceptions and consumer impressions.

My state alone has more people than Canada and a larger economy, to boot. If we use Netflix as an example, which market do you think they're going to enter into first? California or Canada?

California is the obvious choice between the two (minus the fact that Netflix is located in San Jose)- Netflix had to overhaul their entire streaming catalog to accommodate Canadian ISP data caps. Canada isn't the "tech capital" of the world- San Jose (which happens to be in California) is.

If you want to talk about market penetration, the areas where markets are strongest are more important. Stronger markets mean the market perceptions of products have a far wider reach. Do you think that if a revolutionary, new, gamechanging product were to be brought to market in Nunavut that anyone in BC or Ontario would necessarily care? No, because Nunavut's market influence is marginal at best.
    Nunavut is a huge market.

... for whale blubber.
    CanAm89 likes this.
    01-31-13 07:16 PM
    While I agree with everything you said, I disagree with the bolded statement. Verizon is a HUGE proponent of Android. Go into one of their stores and they will push you right to the droid section, not apple.
    Well, since the Android market has a plethora of phones, it's only natural that the Android section would be bigger...possibly bigger profits?
    01-31-13 07:22 PM
    Come on guys.
    First it's not BlackBerry's fault.
    Now they're choosing not to release the phone simply to keep a relationship with the carrier.
    If it's their choice, it's their fault.
    Come on, this is becoming cartoonish.
    BlackBerry is not in any position to be demanding anything from the carriers. They NEED them. iPhone and Google can do what they want as the carriers need THEM. Different scenario. If you want to place blame on BlackBerry, go nuts man. That's your prerogative. Just trying to shed a little reality to the situation as the fact is, the US carriers have had the phones for testing for just as long as the UK and Canadian carriers.
    01-31-13 07:39 PM
    Regarding the title of this thread, not ungrateful, dissappointed. Blackberry doesn't deserve any gratitude from me. They just want my money. Not a problem because I want their product. This is business, not charity. No gratitude required. Now, if they told me they would give me a Z10 in March I would be extremely grateful. To those who find enjoyment in the fact that we Americans will have to wait, I say have fun. We all need something to help us feel good about ourselves.
    shaleem and rottonj like this.
    01-31-13 08:08 PM
    I don't think I've ever sworn in a text before, but wtf is up with this "haha you americans suck we're happy to see you upset" sentiment. Geez we are not all the same and just because a bunch are ungrateful doesn't mean we can't be disappointed that what we hoped for didn't come true. We don't all blame rim/bb or verizon, we're just as excited as you were and disappointed we can't get one. Yes, sure, we can wait, we are mature adults, our life isn't going to fall apart, but can't we be disappointed? /done
    To answer your question (but wtf is up with this "haha you americans suck we're happy to see you upset" sentiment).Unfortunately, it is fashionable in much of the world to blame the U.S. and Americans for all of the ills in the world. They think we're spoiled, arrogant, over indulgent and pushy. In other words, lots of projection from some people in other parts of the world. In my not so humble opinion, anyone who blindly lumps whole groups of people into particular categories, and/or dislikes whole groups of people or whole nations is either cognitively impaired or downright ignorant. The world has seen this type of attitude many times in its history and the results of this type of mindset were, more often than not, very unpleasant.
    Prince_Poppycock likes this.
    01-31-13 09:28 PM
    To answer your question (but wtf is up with this "haha you americans suck we're happy to see you upset" sentiment).Unfortunately, it is fashionable in much of the world to blame the U.S. and Americans for all of the ills in the world. They think we're spoiled, arrogant, over indulgent and pushy. In other words, lots of projection from some people in other parts of the world. In my not so humble opinion, anyone who blindly lumps whole groups of people into particular categories, and/or dislikes whole groups of people or whole nations is either cognitively impaired or downright ignorant. The world has seen this type of attitude many times in its history and the results of this type of mindset were, more often than not, very unpleasant.
    Thank you. It shows jealousy and envy if nothing else. Maybe a yearning to be American? I don't know honestly were it comes from but its left a bad taste in my mouth. I am glad to see some true colors though..that's always a good thing.

Sent from my BlackBerry by Choice using Tapatalk
    shaleem likes this.
    01-31-13 09:50 PM
    Thank you. It shows jealousy and envy if nothing else. Maybe a yearning to be American? I don't know honestly were it comes from but its left a bad taste in my mouth. I am glad to see some true colors though..that's always a good thing.

Sent from my BlackBerry by Choice using Tapatalk

Relax, my southern brother from another mother....we have just as many rednecks as you do....lol....the rest of us are lighting a candle in support of your pain
    and suffering in waiting the additional month.
    BigBadWulf and shaleem like this.
    01-31-13 09:58 PM
    Oh well, Americans do complain a lot! As if they're going to die now if they didn't get the BB10's ASAP. If you can no longer wait then go get yourself a new iPhone/Android/Windows. Stop winning geez..!
    02-01-13 07:09 AM
145 ... 3456