In the past 2 months I have been showing my friends pictures and news about BB10 and some of them are getting excited about BB10.

One case in point. One of my good friends is an iOS fan. He has the iPhone 4 and had the 3G before that. We used to get into a lot of BB vs iOS debates, but lately I stopped debating with him and instead starting agreeing with him on some points. Most of the negative things he had to say were about BB7, so I agreed with him on those points and told him that all that was changing with BB10. Little by little I showed him some of the upcoming features of BB10 and I could see he was impressed, but he kept saying that "it's too little too late". Fast forward to last week where we were sitting with other friends. One of them asked my friend if he was getting the iPhone 5 and he said that he will wait for BB10 to compare the two before making a decision. He didn't even look at me when he said that. At that point I felt proud that I had converted a BB skeptic to at least consider the phone for purchase.

The point is, I started thinking how many other BB fans are out there and how many people we Crackberians could convert from a Android and Apple.

Has anybody else had any success in converting people to BB?
    01-10-13 02:38 AM
    I'm an instructor for a software company. When I'm out and about training (which is most weeks), if the question of mobile phones comes up (which it reguarly does as I proudly display my Torch and open the discussion during down-time in the training) then I just show them the demo videos for BB10.

I guess about 99.9% are impressed.

I'm not saying they'll go and buy it, but they may, and it also helps in their future discussions if someone brings up BlackBerry.

When I get my Z10, EVERYBODY I know is going to know about it and see it!

Si.
    shellnsean likes this.
    01-10-13 03:21 AM
    Well, my friend, I have sure been trying...
    I have been evangelising far and wide, night and day, proselytizing on the prosaic beauty that is QNX, holding forth on the future that is the forthcoming BlackBerry 10, the changes that have made BlackBerry an innovating insurgency.
    I have converted one for sure and made many think hard. No small accomplishment in a world of sheep awaiting instruction from The Big Giant Head.
    I congratulate you on your success! One more saved from the fires of ****, er, blind conformity.
    #BB10Believe
    Zedi Master likes this.
    01-10-13 03:25 AM
    I've not been trying to convert iPhone & Android users to Blackberry, as I'm hard at trying to keep CURRENT Blackberry users from jumping ship.

So thank you RIM for making such low end devices that uninformed people go out and buy, so when I talk about my great BOLD 9900 hybrid work horse, people shrug their shoulders and compare my enthusiasm and look at me with disgust as they assume I am giving credit to a Blackberry Curve on OS5 with a spinning clock that runs 24/7, BECAUSE that is all they know of Blackberry phones, and they can't comprehend how or what I see in a Blackberry.
    01-10-13 03:55 AM
    I don't convert anybody...if they ask me I tell them if not I let them enjoy the device they choose. Hate it when somebody tries to talk me into a different device so why would I do that.
    jegs2, jon4400, howarmat and 4 others like this.
    01-10-13 04:11 AM
    People ask. I tell! People are drawn to others enthusiasm, so they ask. My entire family use BB. Many friends have bought. Only one friend that's ended up switching. But he's not happy with apples either.
    BB Voice has impressed everyone. They will all upgrade in time.
    BB10 Believe it.
    01-10-13 05:12 AM
    I wouldn't encourage anyone to endorse any platform. Primarily due to the moment in which something goes wrong, or there is any issue or discomfort, the weight of that issue will be planted firmly on your shoulders. You can certainly wager especially if there is no Skype or any particular application that is crucial to that person mobile needs not available (which is highly likely in bb10's case) , they will be coming to you like the bb endorsement slave you are.

Even as a person who works in retail, part of my sales regimen consist of allowing the decision to be much more of the purchasers than mine. Considering what a persons needs are with probing questions and providing a list of options is the best way to make a suggestion to someone. I find that it reduces remorse significantly and allows for any finger pointing to remaining with them and the platform/manufacturer, and never at me.

I don't not care about a platform/oem enough to stress over other people's problems they have, whom of which I rather not be bothered with in the first place really. Nor would I tirelessly debate someone out of a device they are absolutely content with, just to add dollars to a company that quite honestly has no idea I even exist.

Yeah, no.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by ynomrah; 01-10-13 at 07:33 AM.
    jegs2, vegetto_456, Saiga and 2 others like this.
    01-10-13 07:20 AM
    I showed an iPhone user the video of typing three different languages in the same body of text/e-mail. This person is French and she said that is "Fantastic" She will be switching to BB10 now. Enuf said!
    01-10-13 07:27 AM
    None here. Of my 200 coworkers not one will buy a bb10. They're basically all parroting the same types of negative things you read in the comments section of articles on BB10 on sites like en gadgets, verge etc. To them iphone is cool and hip and android is edgy and popular. In their eyes Blackberry's and WP8 are seen as either failing or old fogie phones.
    01-10-13 07:39 AM
    I'm no evangelist. When I get a BB10 device, I'll certainly explain its features to anyone who's interested, but my experience is that very few people are actually interested. I don't think the majority of people put that much thought into the matter. They have what they have, and aren't necessarily looking to switch, and certainly aren't waiting for someone to talk them into switching. If there's someone who's looking to get his first smartphone, or is actually looking to switch for some reason, then yes, I'd give them a pitch for BB10. But that's only after I own one and I'm happy with it. If I had the conversation right now, the most I'd do is recommend that they look into BB10 and consider waiting for it. There's no way I'm going to try to convert people to a device that I have no personal experience with.

In the past couple of years, I've had exactly one person ask me about smartphones. I explained why I had a 9900. He ended up getting an iPhone, because it has an application suite used by his company--something like Zimbra, but not that. BB didn't have it and that was the end of that.
    jegs2 likes this.
    01-10-13 07:46 AM
    I am trying but I also tried with the Playbook and have been reminded more than once about that.

Hopefully the new phones will give me something to show them (not only the phone but also all their favorite apps are available).
    bodjor, m1a1mg, jegs2 and 1 others like this.
    01-10-13 07:50 AM
    I do talk to my friends and family about BlackBerries in general, seeing my dad fumble with his samsung touch screen is hilarious, mostly because the screen doesnt respond to his touch half the time, the other is because everything is tiny and he cant see it (its an older model, but purchased within the last year)... he told me once that the guys at work said BlackBerry is bankrupt and not to buy one of their phones... thats when i made it a point to set him straight

My girlfriend is the real evangelist, shes gotten her family to all buy playbooks, talked many friends out of switching, and just last week she was talking to one of her good friends who said she was going that day to buy and iphone5, than she showed her the demo videos of BB10 on her playbook, and her friend went out that afternoon and bought a preorder for BB10 at rogers.

We try to stick to the same philosophy about talking to people about smartphones, if the iSheep are happy and have only good things to say about their phones, more power to them, theyre a lost soul.... but when we hear mis-information or people ask us our opinions, we share what we know. If the person we are talking to loves playing games, or is all about apps, than yes we say the iphone is their best bet in that case, unless you do any sort of communicating on your mobile, email, sms, etc... than we argue, do you want it to be great at games and apps and suck at what you own a phone for, connecting with people... just trying to make them think a little harder before they make their decision
    01-10-13 09:11 AM
    I say the phones are coming, and been burnt on two delays telling people they should wait. Won't be pushing hard till the BB10 phone is in my hand. I do tell vendors that they need to support it because of FIPS and Government use. Some vendors actually believe the BS the RIM is going to die and that the government will have to reduce restrictions to allow Android and iPhone. I tell them they are wrong and some agencies have lax security and some don't bend at all!
    howarmat likes this.
    01-10-13 09:35 AM
    I have kept atleast 4 or 5 current owners from jumping ship. As far as how many I converted I don't know as it's not out. I have had about 3 other people tell me they will be buying bb10
    01-10-13 09:45 AM
    I haven't converted anyone as such, I haven't actually got a working BB yet, er, see my previous thread

But in the process, my boyfriend, who has an android has been majorly impressed, going from I don't like BlackBerry I like touch screen, to wanting to buy my one that isn't working for me!! So there you go!! Also a couple of family members also have BB.

Seems we are all being converted!!
    Dapper37 likes this.
    01-10-13 09:58 AM
    I let my iOS and Android friends try my BlackBerry for couple of days. I exchange my phone with theirs for couple of days. Some ended up buying BB Bold 9900 after having used mine for only 3 days!
    01-10-13 10:10 AM
    Actually, I'm waiting to see if the phone converts me. Won't know until I have it in hand
    jegs2 likes this.
    01-10-13 10:20 AM
    Most of my friends are on iOS or Android. Very few even consider BBerry a smart phone that they would remotely consider. Many are AppAholics that need an app a day to keep the boredom away.

I've mentioned the 10 to a few and they say something like "BlackBerry is still around? I thought they were out of business." showing how far removed from the brand they really are. A few of my friends who used to have Berries are mildly interested, but will most likely stick with their iPhones or Droids.

I think 10 will win long term on its own merit. Word of mouth will certainly help a lot, but in the long run, it will be the 10 Smartphone itself that lures people back to the brand that started the smartphone trend.
    01-10-13 11:56 AM
    I showed an iPhone user the video of typing three different languages in the same body of text/e-mail. This person is French and she said that is "Fantastic" She will be switching to BB10 now. Enuf said!
    This feature is one of the most impressive in my opinion. Im from Montreal and I regularly type in both french and english. But we still have to see how it works in the real world.
    si001 likes this.
    01-10-13 03:26 PM
    I'd like to see RIMM succeed, but I'm not going to push it.

I loved my Storm 2 for a while, but I'm glad none of my friends listened to me about getting one.
    jegs2 likes this.
    01-10-13 03:43 PM
    Haha, it's a big deal in France to post in French but with English words on social platforms...at least for those who love the States
    01-10-13 03:47 PM
    Funny thread!

No, never. If it is well placed and if a person is interested, I can show features I like, explain what I love about the BB I have (or what I don't love), I give my ideas, but I'm truly curious about other phones as well and I like to play with different toys...
    01-10-13 03:50 PM
    love my Bold 9930, and my Playbook, and will upgrade to BB10, and I preach to who ever will listen. anyone that knows me knows my BB's are always with me. and I know of at least three that will be giving BB10 a try.
    dphjeff likes this.
    01-10-13 03:54 PM
    I have very few friends and no social life so it's not often I get a chance. The couple people who do know me know my particular obsession though and i've tried but they like their iOS or big screen Droids over my Bold. Ah well.
    Dapper37 likes this.
    01-10-13 04:10 PM
    Naw ... I hate when people do that to me. I was once on a plane ride beside this really obnoxious iPhone 3G user back in the day. For the first 20 minutes, he kept bothering me with this annoying sales pitch for his iPhone. "Have you seen this ... look what it can do ... it's soo cool ... it's so better" etc. His battery died and I popped the battery out of my BlackBerry, popped a new battery. I said, "can it do this?"

He shut up while I watched my movie on the flight and he read a book.

I really don't like pushy fanboys ... on any platform.
    jon4400 and jegs2 like this.
    01-10-13 04:17 PM
54 123