Well, on Nov. 19Th, after much thinking of whether I should switch or stay with T-Mobile, I decided to take on their Magenta Saturday "offer" and get myself an HTC Amaze 4G.

Fantastic phone overall, amazing camera, screen, loads of apps, fast both network wise and installing stuff. Thrashes my 9700 for these type of things hands down, but, it just can't replace my 9700 (for now) overall, and here is why, IMO... of course.

I know, there are loads of threads like these, but most are ANTI-BBs, whereas this one is a PRO-BBs, so to speak. Also, might be "useful" to those who wanna switch to another platform but are not sure.

1) Cell phones have to be... PHONES in the first place, and the call quality both incoming and outgoing on my 9700 is stellar, reception also. On the HTC Amaze, ABSOLUTELY terrible! I can not believe that they would put a device like this out when reception is below average, and most of all, when I talk, I literally hear NOTHING on "the other side", and so I have no idea if they hung up or what... Not to mention that when the person on the other line replies, the earpiece activates itself all of a sudden and "eats" the beginning of what they are saying, so you only hear part of what they are saying. 100% of the times.

2) Battery life. This one is no brainer, with the 9700 on 3G, full day +++. With the HTC on 4G, it literally eats up the battery in few hours with the same use.

3) Size. Sure, the screen is great, but I hate feeling this huge slab of screen of a phone in my pocket, so uncomfortable, whereas my 9700 fits great and does not bother me at all.

4) I hate how I have to be extremely careful with the HTC, because being all glass, I can't just toss it around as I do with my BB, and I hate that.

5) The blinking LED. Some might not care, but I love the LED notification on the BB. The HTC has one, but its a joke because you can't see it at all unless you are looking right at it, but from anywhere else, you won't see it as they placed this small small LED under the speaker grill!

6) Typing messages on the 9700 is fast, I make no mistakes, and its fun. On touchscreen, it SUCKS. I tried all combinations, it is a terrible experience.
    Not to mention email. No match.

7) The HTC, being a beast phone with 1.5 dual-core CPUs and all, becomes WARM really fast. Nothing to worry about I know, but it bothers me how literally after 15-25 minutes or so of playing Angry Birds say and a few messages, if I get a phone call the phone is WARM and I have to keep it to a distance from my ear while talking. Ridiculous!
    Nothing like this on the 9700, unless I am on the phone over an hour, of course.

8) Having apps on a phone is OK, but these android and iPhones are toys and for people who waste too much time on their cellphones. Plain and simple. I don't play games, I don't use nor download that many apps except the usual ones like weather Groupon Flixster etc, and for what I need, the 9700 is perfect. I am not saying they are the best phones, but they are the best phones for me, with Nokia's too I have to say. Never had issues with them either, so far.

So yeah... Trying to sell the HTC Amaze 4G on eBay now, and I already went to the T-Mobile store to switch back to a BlackBerry data plan, and I am loving it. If I can't manage to sell it, I guess I will use it since I am paying for it, but I just hate how I fell for the glitter of android, and I am paying $500 dollars for it when I could have saved them for something else.

Should have gotten the MT4GS if anything, and for sure I am not getting rid of my 9700!

So kids, you've been warned!

PS: Sorry for the long post...
    Last edited by Capitan Totti; 12-04-11 at 06:52 PM.
    up488, ekv, sapperuk and 3 others like this.
    12-04-11 06:47 PM
    I can tell you will prolly get slack for such a long read but I myself actually was very interested and entertained with what you had to say. I also would like to dabble in something different just to try out but would never give up my BB, I am lucky enough to have a working 9900 lol and I came from the amazing 9780 on the legendary evil .666 which I have to say was just amazing. Its only from trial and error that one learns though, glad to see that you now know and were able to share with others.
    12-04-11 06:54 PM
    I can tell you will prolly get slack for such a long read but I myself actually was very interested and entertained with what you had to say. I also would like to dabble in something different just to try out but would never give up my BB, I am lucky enough to have a working 9900 lol and I came from the amazing 9780 on the legendary evil .666 which I have to say was just amazing. Its only from trial and error that one learns though, glad to see that you now know and were able to share with others.
    Thanks!

Yes, trial and error of course.
    I wish I would have seen the other thread called "Mistake of Switching to Android"... I would have posted there, so if any mod can take my post there I am fine with it.
    12-04-11 07:02 PM
    Thanks for sharing. I'm due for an upgrade in a couple weeks, and was checking out the HTC Amaze. After some research, I think I will stay with BB and get a Bold 9900. Still, it makes me more secure in my decision reading a post like yours.
    12-04-11 07:05 PM
    Thanks for sharing. I'm due for an upgrade in a couple weeks, and was checking out the HTC Amaze. After some research, I think I will stay with BB and get a Bold 9900. Still, it makes me more secure in my decision reading a post like yours.
    Thanks!
    12-04-11 07:42 PM
    An interesting read. I just made the switch from BlackBerry to Android after 3 years and 3 different models of devices. I am a HUGE BlackBerry supporter, but I just couldn't take the problems & shortcomings of my 9650 anymore. The original plan was to get the 9930, but I changed my mind and got an HTC Rezound (I'm on Verizon).

The BlackBerry is much, much better with Sound Profiles and Notifications. There's no comparison. Android power users have recommended a few different 3rd party apps and I've tried them. Still, my Rezound is not capable of being tweaked the way my BlackBerry was and I'm a bit disappointed by that. RIM knows what they're doing with Profiles & Notifications!

BlackBerry's calendar kicks the crap out of the Android calendar - at least in one important area...Invites. We have two HTC Rezounds, both of us are using Gmail accounts and yet, when I create a new calendar event and send an "invite", she either receives it as an e-mail attachment...has to open it up, which fires up Google Calendar in the browser where she can then accept it, or it will sometimes allow her to accept it right within that email. I've properly set up Google Calendar on both of our accounts for "mobile" usage and it still occasionally goofs and brings us to the Google Calendar website to accept the invitation. Supposedly, there is another fix to try...but my point is, BlackBerry just works right out of the box - you can be sending an invite with you Gmail account or receiving it with your Hotmail account. It doesn't matter - it's just going to work and add/subtract that event from your calendar.

I never thought I'd be able to get over losing the awesome physical keyboard on my 9650. By the third day of owning my HTC Rezound I was already typing just fine on the glass screen. I typically switch it to landscape (just turn the device 90 degrees) when I know I'm going to be writing more than a sentence or two. Even in portrait mode, I'm doing just fine - no frustration at all. The only complaint I have is, I used to be able to type on my BlackBerry without looking at the keyboard. You can't do that when typing on a glass screen...or, atleast, I can't!

Personally, I'm not a huge app geek, but I do like to throw a few on my device. I love the extra screen real estate (4.3" display at 720x1280) when I use an app like ScoreMobile, Facebook, Google Talk. I'm blown away at how clear video chatting with Skype is on these devices. Also, I like to IRC and BlackBerry never had a good IRC client. Whether I use a dedicated IRC client, like AndChat or ConnectBot to login to my shell account and use screen & irssi - the Android device beats my old BlackBerry all day long. Overall, there is no comparison in the number of quality apps...although, BlackBerry has made significant improvements in this area. I spend a lot of time on IMDB when I watch TV/Movies and even over wifi it was absolutely dreadful to visit IMDB on my 9650. The web browser is just not good. Now, I use a dedicated IMDB app to get my information. Google Maps is exponentially better on the Android as well.

I'll be very brief comparing the two devices web browsing. On my Android device, I feel like I'm almost using a desktop web browser. It's that fast and renders pages awesome. Browsing of the BlackBerry was such a miserable experience. It's nice to be able to play embedded Flash videos too!

Another reason I chose this particular Android device over the 9930 was for the 4G LTE connection. It is mind blowing how fast it is. I'm not interested in games, but the overall speed of the device and the availability of different types of apps has allowed me to try out many new things that I never would have considered on my BlackBerry. I can record video in 1080p at 30fps of 720p at 60fps thanks to the 8mp camera. This device is fun - no question. I still have to charge my phone every night when I go to bed, so my new device and the 9650 both gave me the same amount of life. Now, I'm actually using this device a bit more, because I'm still in the honeymoon stage, so there are no complaints at all with the battery.

I am pulling for RIM to hit a home run with their BBX OS devices. I really am. There are things that I miss now that I've made the switch to Android...no question. When those new devices hit the market, I absolutely will be in the Verizon store on day one to see what they're like. Especially since they're going to be able to run Android apps. How could I not? It just became time for me to try something new and different and I'm very glad I did.

-ALB
    JR A likes this.
    12-04-11 08:05 PM
    Regarding your comment on the BlackBerry as an actual phone, I've heard a high number of complaints reported on HTC devices in particular as having spotty call quality. I remember reading about this back to the Tilt, G1 and Nexus One phones.

Do I have a poll, or a stat? No, not at hand. I'm sure anyone could Google it just fine. But I've noted that in passing more than a few times.

Glad you're enjoying your BlackBerry again. I'll be glad to see the first of the new year roll around! Because upgrade time is approaching swiftly. I have my eyes on a nice 9930.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by BergerKing; 12-04-11 at 08:09 PM.
    12-04-11 08:05 PM
    Probably a good decision. When you see the words "HTC" and "4G" in a name then you can be sure that the battery life will be awful.
    12-04-11 08:18 PM
    Good post alb123, and there goes another thing. Easiness of use. I hate all this syncing in android too. My brother is doing swell with his MT4GS so far, especially because owning a poker media site, he is active on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and what have ya, whereas I have none of these except for YouTube. But as far as email for example which he relies a lot on, he has a GoDaddy email for the site, and it took us 2 days to try out different settings to make it work on his android device, whereas when he had the 9000, literally just placed in name and password and was working within minutes.

Not to mention that it works as fetch, and not push.

Sure, all those things are better I agree, but I then think of how many times I use them per day, and compare say the camera or watching YouTube to how many times I type a message or make a phone call etc... no comparison. I have a PS3 for the few games I play, and I watch most YouTube on laptop, and rarely take pics and videos. Also, not worth carrying around this huge phone. IMO. So unconformable. Lucky you, I hate typing on touch screen!

Regarding your comment on the BlackBerry as an actual phone, I've heard a high number of complaints reported on HTC devices in particular as having spotty call quality. I remember reading about this back to the Tilt, G1 and Nexus One phones.

Do I have a poll, or a stat? No, not at hand. I'm sure anyone could Google it just fine. But I've noted that in passing more than a few times.

Glad you're enjoying your BlackBerry again. I'll be glad to see the first of the new year roll around! Because upgrade time is approaching swiftly. I have my eyes on a nice 9930.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    It is terrible, to the point where I hope I sell it just for that.
    I would hear static or low audio (even at max) in most settings, whereas my 9700 is great even when in a busy environment. But the worst part was having to hear half or so of what the other person says.

"(So, ye)ah, meet you at 11." WTH?

I am thinking of keeping my 9700 until a new BBX BB like device comes out like the Nevada one I read of, even if I am tempted by the 9900 and 9810, but I am wary of getting a 9900 with so many having issues so far, and the no autofocus does bother me... And I don't know if the 9810 is such a huge step up for me...

Plus, let's not forget this great community.
    No other forum is as active and cool as this one.
    XDA seems full of nerdy geeks with no lives who do nothing but "cook roms", or society rejects and weirdos with a lot of attitude used just to overcome their known and explicit life/social insecurities. Just my opinion...
    JR A likes this.
    12-04-11 08:33 PM
    Probably a good decision. When you see the words "HTC" and "4G" in a name then you can be sure that the battery life will be awful.
    No joke. Not to mention all that bloatware that works in the background, including, Carrier IQ!
    12-04-11 08:35 PM
    I made fun of someone the other day for a post that was long. This post was good though. Even though it was log it was well broken up and used appropriate spelling, punctuation, grammar, etc.

Thanks for the post.
    JR A likes this.
    12-04-11 08:45 PM
    I wouldn't say that. I think my HTC Sensation 4G is about equivalent to my 9900.
    12-04-11 09:26 PM
    lol, well...you're going to find geeks on every tech site/forum/blog. When it comes to Android, the XDA forum beats everything out there hands down.

I had an HTC Inspire and I got a lot of complaints on the call quality. I haven't had any complaints on my 8310, 9700, Captivate, or my Thrill. So I'm going to go with whoever said it's an HTC thing.

Battery life? Eh. 4.3 inch touchscreen vs. 2.7" non touch screen. I think that's enough said. lol By late 2012 with the new screen technology and low power using quad cores, you'll see battery life in the large touch screens get crazy amount of battery time. Right now they're testing a battery that is giving a tablet days of battery time, imagine this new battery technology in all phones. It'd be nice for battery life to not be an issue at all on any device.

I remember the wonderful transition of non-touch screen to touch screen. It wasn't too long ago I pulled out my old 9700, powered it up, and tried to send out some texts. My speed was horrible! I remember being so hesitant to go to a touch screen. I'm glad I did.

Really, I think you have about the same complaints that most of the Blackberry users do when they switch to a large touch screen device. Thankfully there's a billion devices out there so everyone can have what they want.

You should be able to sell the Amaze pretty easily. You might have to come down in price a bit though.
    I'm not sure what T-mobile has but AT&T gives a 30 days buyers remorse in which if you don't like it, bring it back.
    JR A likes this.
    12-04-11 09:32 PM
    Just played with my class mate's Exepria today. The screen may be bigger but not as crisp as my 9650 and both have QWERTY key board on themn but the camcorder+ browser beats me hands down. It boils down to what you want your phone to do. If you want a work horse then go for the Bold(any of them) and if you want a media rich phone then go for Android or iphone that what I say
    12-04-11 10:08 PM
    Great to hear about your experience. Very similar to mine: http://forums.crackberry.com/general...ndroid-673565/

I'm definitely gonna stay with BB for a long time!
    12-05-11 12:07 AM
    Great to hear about your experience. Very similar to mine: http://forums.crackberry.com/general...ndroid-673565/

I'm definitely gonna stay with BB for a long time!
    I actually would have posted there if I saw the thread before.
    The HTC, like other phones, might have its own flaws, but I'd like to point out that it is also android that I am not impressed with thus far. If I keep the phone, I hope ICS will be better.

PS: Forgot to mention one of the most annoying things on these kind of phones. Capacitive touch-buttons! I absolutely detest these. You try to type a message or browse the web, etc. If you accidentally touch these keys, you go back or to the home screen or what have ya... RIDICULOUS! Why can't they make physical buttons that are NOT so easy to press? I just don't get it...
    Last edited by Capitan Totti; 12-05-11 at 05:09 AM.
    12-05-11 04:22 AM

1) Cell phones have to be... PHONES in the first place, and the call quality both incoming and outgoing on my 9700 is stellar, reception also. On the HTC Amaze, ABSOLUTELY terrible! I can not believe that they would put a device like this out when reception is below average, and most of all, when I talk, I literally hear NOTHING on "the other side", and so I have no idea if they hung up or what... Not to mention that when the person on the other line replies, the earpiece activates itself all of a sudden and "eats" the beginning of what they are saying, so you only hear part of what they are saying. 100% of the times.
    Funny, I have the opposite experience with my Atrix. Don't know if it's the different device or the different carrier, but I recently was speaking to someone across the pond and he commented several times on how terrible by 9930 was. Tried the Atrix and it was perfect. Don't know whether it was the carrier or the device, but the difference was noticeable.

2) Battery life. This one is no brainer, with the 9700 on 3G, full day +++. With the HTC on 4G, it literally eats up the battery in few hours with the same use.
    Yup, no way can anything touch the 9700 for battery life. That said, I've recently made use of Task Manager on my Atrix and I find that it gives me just less than my 9930. I see it as closing out of BB apps instead of backing out. If it's not the same, I'd like to be corrected.

3) Size. Sure, the screen is great, but I hate feeling this huge slab of screen of a phone in my pocket, so uncomfortable, whereas my 9700 fits great and does not bother me at all..
    My Atrix is not huge, thank God. I could not carry one of those huge 4.3 inch monsters.

4) I hate how I have to be extremely careful with the HTC, because being all glass, I can't just toss it around as I do with my BB, and I hate that.
    I've got both my 9930 and my Atrix in Otterbox cases. I baby both my babies.

5) The blinking LED. Some might not care, but I love the LED notification on the BB. The HTC has one, but its a joke because you can't see it at all unless you are looking right at it, but from anywhere else, you won't see it as they placed this small small LED under the speaker grill!.
    In my opinion, NOTHING beats BB notifications and profiles.

6) Typing messages on the 9700 is fast, I make no mistakes, and its fun. On touchscreen, it SUCKS. I tried all combinations, it is a terrible experience.
    Wholeheartedly agree with you here.

7) The HTC, being a beast phone with 1.5 dual-core CPUs and all, becomes WARM really fast. Nothing to worry about I know, but it bothers me how literally after 15-25 minutes or so of playing Angry Birds say and a few messages, if I get a phone call the phone is WARM and I have to keep it to a distance from my ear while talking. Ridiculous!
    Nothing like this on the 9700, unless I am on the phone over an hour, of course..
    I've got Angry Birds on my Atrix and I've played it once. I must be the only person in the world who is not in love with Angry Birds. I have not downloaded one single solitary game other than Angry Birds. However, the phone does get hot when on a call. Not a bit hot, plenty hot.

8) Having apps on a phone is OK, but these android and iPhones are toys and for people who waste too much time on their cellphones. Plain and simple. I don't play games, I don't use nor download that many apps except the usual ones like weather Groupon Flixster etc, and for what I need, the 9700 is perfect. I am not saying they are the best phones, but they are the best phones for me, with Nokia's too I have to say. Never had issues with them either, so far...
    I sit on BBM the entire freakin' day. From the second I wake up to the time I - literally - fall asleep with the phone in my hand. Don't laugh, it's happened. Most of that time I'm just talking. What is the difference between spending the entire day chatting on BBM and playing Angry Birds - which I don't play - or watching YouTube videos? Aren't both forms of entertainment?
    Additionally I'm confused as to whether you play games or you don't.
    On number 7 above you discuss playing Angry Birds for 15 - 25 minutes, but on number 8 above you state you don't play games.

How is playing Angry Birds for 15 to 15 minutes different from me chatting with my friend about Victoria Secret's newest catalogue? In that context, different modes of entertainment, but entertainment nevertheless.

So yeah... Trying to sell the HTC Amaze 4G on eBay now, and I already went to the T-Mobile store to switch back to a BlackBerry data plan, and I am loving it. If I can't manage to sell it, I guess I will use it since I am paying for it, but I just hate how I fell for the glitter of android, and I am paying $500 dollars for it when I could have saved them for something else.

Should have gotten the MT4GS if anything, and for sure I am not getting rid of my 9700!

Agreed!!! people should always research and buy the device that suits.

No worries. I just made it longer!!!
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 12-05-11 at 11:18 AM.
    12-05-11 11:16 AM
    For me, I stuck with the 9900, was going to choose the 9810 but regardless, I just couldn't adjust to it at the time. Likely things are:

Javascript on some websites, it's SLOW when filling out the webform to submit. (A bit faster on the 9900, same as my 9700).

Slider, I used a UT starcom before. But that thing was nortorious for coming apart in my opinion, but the wifi on it was amazing. I made the decision to wait another three years or more for a slider until I feel I'm ready for it.

Extended batteries: The F-S1 extended battery would have been a boss, but I wanted the 3500 mAh for the 9900, which I already ordered from ebay. Waiting on that eCheque to clear still before the seller ships it out. I didn't care about the bricking issue or the battery life on the 9900, I just wanted the device regardless, not because it was the latest-greatest, but because of the easier keyboard. I don't have to press as hard to type on it as I did on my 9700. So that is a plus. For the autofocus, I decided I didn't care for or need it. The EDOF is fine and the pictures are great. I do have a digital camera which has excellent autofocus and 12MP including a few camcorders. I did however test out some android ones and then thought of the missing features, I thought, hmm, maybe 10 years from now, they'll vastly improve for my own needs. Windmobile threw it on the Tab+ for the 9900, I only paid $191. Audio quality for calls is great even though it's on AWS 1700, t-mobile's frequency.

Blackberry is what I enjoy, it's meant for me. I wouldn't even call any device a toy anyways. A phone is a phone.
    12-05-11 12:53 PM
    Folks from our Posting Rules & Guidelines.....

Post in the Right Forum
    We’ve done our best to layout the forum categories so they are logical and make sense. When you are creating a new thread, do your best to get it in the right category. We want these forums to be value added and educational. The General CrackBerry Discussion and General RIM/BlackBerry Discussion are good places to post if you have a serious question but are not quite sure where to put it. These forums are less stringently moderated, while specific forums (BlackBerry 8700 Series for example) are more strictly moderated to maintain their quality and usefulness.

And of course, we also have the Off-Topic Discussion forum. This is the place on the site to have fun and talk about whatever. From sports to the weather to what to buy your girlfriend for her birthday (buying her a new blackberry is always a good thing), anything goes in here. Just remember to keep it clean, keep it productive and keep it legal!

Make Meaningful Posts
    While CrackBerry.com is geared as much towards entertaining and connecting the Crackberry community as it is to helping solve problems and staying on top of news and rumors, all posts made within the site should be value added and on topic to the thread (even in the free for all). Hijacking a thread off-topic is a big No-No, and posts made for no reason other than to increase post count will be wiped from the site.

Personal Attacks
    Do not flame, insult or post personal attacks against other users. Be courteous, not rude. Any instances or reports of harassment of members will be treated seriously. CrackBerry.com has a zero tolerance policy against this kind of behavior, which may result with an immediate temporary or permanent ban at moderators' discretion. CrackBerry.com is a friendly place - treat members with respect at all times. If you don't have something nice to say, do not say it!

Reporting a bad post
    There is a "Report bad post" button on the top right side of each post (red/white triangle) or you can send a PM to a moderator.

We now return you to your regularly schedule thread already in progress!
    12-05-11 07:05 PM
    Well, on Nov. 19Th, after much thinking of whether I should switch or stay with T-Mobile, I decided to take on their Magenta Saturday "offer" and get myself an HTC Amaze 4G.

Fantastic phone overall, amazing camera, screen, loads of apps, fast both network wise and installing stuff. Thrashes my 9700 for these type of things hands down, but, it just can't replace my 9700 (for now) overall, and here is why, IMO... of course.

I know, there are loads of threads like these, but most are ANTI-BBs, whereas this one is a PRO-BBs, so to speak. Also, might be "useful" to those who wanna switch to another platform but are not sure.

3) Size. Sure, the screen is great, but I hate feeling this huge slab of screen of a phone in my pocket, so uncomfortable, whereas my 9700 fits great and does not bother me at all.

5) The blinking LED. Some might not care, but I love the LED notification on the BB. The HTC has one, but its a joke because you can't see it at all unless you are looking right at it, but from anywhere else, you won't see it as they placed this small small LED under the speaker grill!

Nothing like this on the 9700, unless I am on the phone over an hour, of course.

8) Having apps on a phone is OK, but these android and iPhones are toys and for people who waste too much time on their cellphones. Plain and simple. I don't play games, I don't use nor download that many apps except the usual ones like weather Groupon Flixster etc, and for what I need, the 9700 is perfect. I am not saying they are the best phones, but they are the best phones for me, with Nokia's too I have to say. Never had issues with them either, so far.

I hate that. Holding a warm phone to ear/head is annoying. It just makes me sweat and gets the phone all sweaty. Thankfully, my 8330, 9300, 9700, and 9930 don't get warm enough to irritate me
    12-05-11 07:22 PM
    For some reason, my reply got deleted.
    I guess people are much too sensitive these days...

Anyways, to make my reply shorter. I can't believe you are bringing me these examples, since my playing Angry Birds was just testing what the phone offers, and doesn't make me a gamer by any means. Which I think is only but obvious but.. oh well...

I hate that. Holding a warm phone to ear/head is annoying. It just makes me sweat and gets the phone all sweaty. Thankfully, my 8330, 9300, 9700, and 9930 don't get warm enough to irritate me
    Yep!
    12-05-11 08:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD