I have had so many people say this to me over the last month when they see my phone. I say yes I did why? They reply with I thought blackberry was going out of business or the salesmen at the store told them the same thing. It seems that RIM needs to get their PR department working harder because this attitude will surely bring RIM down.
    There have been several threads here where people have heard so many negatives about BB from sales people its going to hurt RIM success.
    I myself heard a Verizon salesmen tell a customer that BB was not the device to buy but Android or Apple were. I would think RIM is reading these posts but it docent seem like they are !
    09-21-11 06:20 PM
    I have had so many people say this to me over the last month when they see my phone. I say yes I did why? They reply with I thought blackberry was going out of business or the salesmen at the store told them the same thing. It seems that RIM needs to get their PR department working harder because this attitude will surely bring RIM down.
    There have been several threads here where people have heard so many negatives about BB from sales people its going to hurt RIM success.
    I myself heard a Verizon salesmen tell a customer that BB was not the device to buy but Android or Apple were. I would think RIM is reading these posts but it docent seem like they are !
    If you read the Q3 profits from RIM just released you will know that RIM is not hurting trust me money wise.

I think that RIM I suppose depending on the area you live do not do a very good job in the advertising department or they do not have a very good PR/advertising firm outside of house that they get together with to really do the ammount of pushing their new devices and what they are capable of doing as other companies and their OSs like Android and IOS.

RIM lies on it's laurels for business purposes where they shine because of what they are famous for and that is BES and push email.

It has already been mentioned that their new devices are moving very slow to the general public but the business sector is sucking it up.

Blame RIM for this but anything can be turned around once they figure out that they are going to lose the battleas well as the war if they try and go up against the bigger companies like Android and of course Apple.
    09-21-11 06:37 PM
    BES and the business sector have nothing to do with what the OP said. The average consumer is walking into carrier/mobile device shops and being told that BBs are not good to buy, going out of business or are just plain outdated.

No matter how good RIM does with the business sector, this will not help them in the consumer market one bit.

Also, you mention RIMs advertising and PR. Their advertising is good where you live? I think it is a pretty well known fact that RIMs marketing is absolute garbage and their PR seems pretty ****ty too.
    09-21-11 06:48 PM
    It is the same story here. The reps at Verizon say to stay away from Blackberrys. I think it is rather ridiculous as BB Devices are great. But it really does not matter because like others said, they are Business phones and will always lean that way in the market.
    Reps just push people towards Android and iOS because they are so widely popular to all types.
    09-21-11 06:53 PM
    BES and the business sector have nothing to do with what the OP said. The average consumer is walking into carrier/mobile device shops and being told that BBs are not good to buy, going out of business or are just plain outdated.

No matter how good RIM does with the business sector, this will not help them in the consumer market one bit.

Also, you mention RIMs advertising and PR. Their advertising is good where you live? I think it is a pretty well known fact that RIMs marketing is absolute garbage and their PR seems pretty ****ty too.
    I never said anything that RIM and their PR/advertising is good where I live. I know they are garbage and in as much as you busing on me because BES does not have anything to do with sales to the public, it does when they care more about the business sector than they do the average buyer like you and I so to a point it does have something to do whatthe OP was saying.

I think RIM is going to lose overall to all the other devices andthe operating systems. I was merely saying how I feel, You don't have to agree with me and it does not hurt my feelings.

PS The OP did bring attention to PR at RIM and do you think you might be a bit couded since you are using an iPhone and not a BB device? Although it does not matter to me.
    Last edited by Jaguarr40; 09-21-11 at 06:56 PM.
    09-21-11 06:54 PM
    I never said anything that RIM and their PR/advertising is good where I live.
    I never said you did. I asked a question.

I know they are garbage and in as much as you busing on me because BES does not have anything to do with sales to the public, it does when they care more about the business sector than they do the average buyer like you and I so to a point it does have something to do whatthe OP was saying.
    So basically, since they care more about the business, bad mouthing them in the consumer market will not hurt? They make most of their money from the consumer market AFAIK. Business is their bread and butter as well I'm not denying that or saying they can't be successful still if they just remain supplying to business needs.

I think RIM is going to lose overall to all the other devices andthe operating systems. I was merely saying how I feel, You don't have to agree with me and it does not hurt my feelings.
    I wasn't trying to hurt your feelings. Sorry if you thought I was. I didn't attack you at all so I don't know how you came to this conclusion. I just stated my opinion on the subject and it just happens to counter yours.
    09-21-11 07:00 PM
    I never said you did. I asked a question.

So basically, since they care more about the business, bad mouthing them in the consumer market will not hurt? They make most of their money from the consumer market AFAIK. Business is their bread and butter as well I'm not denying that or saying they can't be successful still if they just remain supplying to business needs.

I wasn't trying to hurt your feelings. Sorry if you thought I was. I didn't attack you at all so I don't know how you came to this conclusion. I just stated my opinion on the subject and it just happens to counter yours.
    Neither one of us are especially you are hurting my feelings... YOu are not at all, I agree for the most part with all of your comments and maybe the way I explained myself came out with you thinking I was hurt. I am using a new 9930 and love it.

You are using your preference an iPhone and I have no disrespect for your choice and for all I know you also have a BB I don't know.

I believe we are both trying to say the same thing in different ways, No harn no foul.

PS once again, I knew you were asking me a question about my area and the PR, it is no better here then it is in Waterloo Ontario where RIM headquarters.
    09-21-11 07:06 PM
    PS The OP did bring attention to PR at RIM and do you think you might be a bit couded since you are using an iPhone and not a BB device? Although it does not matter to me.
    I'm guessing you meant "clouded"?

My device has nothing to do with my stand on RIM. Back when my primary device was a BB I still thought RIMs marketing and PR was very bad.

I am a RIM fan. I want them to succeed. I just think they need to change their ways a bit.
    09-21-11 07:08 PM
    I believe we are both trying to say the same thing in different ways, No harn no foul.
    Agreed. It does seem like we were basically saying the same thing, just a different way of saying it.
    Jaguarr40 likes this.
    09-21-11 07:11 PM
    I can say from experience that Verizon salesmen push people away from BlackBerrys. On two separate occasions I've witnessed them try to push people that were very interested in BBs in to something else.
    09-21-11 07:12 PM
    I'm guessing you meant "clouded"?

My device has nothing to do with my stand on RIM. Back when my primary device was a BB I still thought RIMs marketing and PR was very bad.

I am a RIM fan. I want them to succeed. I just think they need to change their ways a bit.
    YES a typo and I did mean clouded andthe rest of your statement I agree with you 100% and also why I made the statement that it did not matter what device you choose to use, You have your reasons and I know mine. Lastly once again No harm done and no foul created.

A healthy dialog there is never anything wrong with having and keeping it civil.
    09-21-11 07:15 PM
    If you read the Q3 profits from RIM just released you will know that RIM is not hurting trust me money wise.

I think that RIM I suppose depending on the area you live do not do a very good job in the advertising department or they do not have a very good PR/advertising firm outside of house that they get together with to really do the ammount of pushing their new devices and what they are capable of doing as other companies and their OSs like Android and IOS.

RIM lies on it's laurels for business purposes where they shine because of what they are famous for and that is BES and push email.

It has already been mentioned that their new devices are moving very slow to the general public but the business sector is sucking it up.

Blame RIM for this but anything can be turned around once they figure out that they are going to lose the battleas well as the war if they try and go up against the bigger companies like Android and of course Apple.

Q3 is not over yet. Do you mean Q2?

Jim and Mike have had 4 years to react to the Apple threat.

Q2 results were just a continuation of the sllllooowww slide. Hope Jim and Mike enjoy the ride. Hopefully someone will stop the ride and toss the bums off..

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry
    09-21-11 07:18 PM
    I think this "buy apple and android" don't buy blackberry and nokia" sentiment is stronger in the US than rest of world. Why? apple and android are both United States of A (Apple, Android) companies...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    09-21-11 07:22 PM
    Agreed. It does seem like we were basically saying the same thing, just a different way of saying it.
    I will agree to that again 100%, No harm done on either side.

Q3 is not over yet. Do you mean Q2?

Jim and Mike have had 4 years to react to the Apple threat.

Q2 results were just a continuation of the sllllooowww slide. Hope Jim and Mike enjoy the ride. Hopefully someone will stop the ride and toss the bums off..

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry
    Yes I did mean Q2,either way I don' think it means much. I am out of this thread and have nothing else to really add to it so thank you for the conversation.
    09-21-11 07:27 PM
    I havent seen a BB commercial in months in the US. I cant speak for the rest of the world, but in the US I have seen nothing but droid and apple commercials. For that you only have Rim to blame. Wheres the marketing?
    09-21-11 07:45 PM
    I can say from experience that Verizon salesmen push people away from BlackBerrys. On two separate occasions I've witnessed them try to push people that were very interested in BBs in to something else.
    The same happened to me in T-Mobile (my carrier) and Sprint. I think the sales commission is higher for Android devices.
    09-21-11 07:53 PM
    When I went into a Verizon retailer store I was asking about the 9930 they didn't have one on display and he had to go to the back to get one out. I think most of the bad rap comes from the Reps themselves since they're only going for the money(most of them). I chose the Thunderbolt cause I wanted something different for now and I always switch between Android or BB. Just never cared for the iPhone ecosystem which is neither here nor there.
    09-21-11 08:22 PM
    Some of the salesmen ( and I use that term loosely) probably saw this headline and got confused

R.E.M. Breaks Up After Three Decades | Music News | Rolling Stone
    09-21-11 08:55 PM
    The salesman are clueless. The night before I bought my 9930 a sales girl at a local vzw store tried to act all techie on me. She went on a tangent how the new os7 devices had a dual core processor and were as fast as anything out. I said thanks for your help and turned and showed myself to the door....although she was pro bb, she was an absolute blowhard!

Always do research before proceeding to the store!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-21-11 09:09 PM
    So RIM has a bad image... how they can fix it?
    Well i'm sure they are thinking about that very much...

Sometimes inventing yourself is working, i think this is what they try to do with the PlayBook.

The problem of the loyalty of the formers users. for example, users of Storm devices that moved to iphone / android... they feel that RIM failed them and IPhone saved them.
    I think that RIM already knows that... first development and then advertising... when they will have many good devices sold world wide i think that they will start massive advertising.. maybe now the money goes more for keeping the costumers happy and keep on going with the technology and new devices development.

I think that the key to RIM successes is luck and laying on that lock - when the iphone 5 will be out, if it will fail somehow, RIM should have the right devices as a good alternative - then they need to do massive advertisement. where Apple puts their ads RIM should invest there also - so people to see they have the option.

Anyway this is what i think.
    09-21-11 09:16 PM
    I have a very different experience ... which also is "Oh, you got a BlackBerry and PlayBook".

The story is that my friends started moving to smartphones in past couple of years, exclusively iPhone and Android, while I have been on all platforms except WebOS in past 7 years. Having some tech background turned into providing tech support for friends (for free ), tweaking, setting up, and jailbreaking their devices, including iPads.

Funny is when moved to BlackBerry (from iOS and Symbian - E71 is/was great phone), the reaction was - WOW, you so professionally play with smartphones that you even got BlackBerry. Trying to explain that BB is in fact very easy and joy to use, do not works - the understanding is that it is toooo professional device for them. Well, sometime is hard to compete with Angry Birds.

Do concider my biggest failure on the subject, my attempts to convert *the better half*. She enjoys her Android, even not having a clue what's that Angry Birds, and considering BB too professional. And every early afternoon getting calls from her, angry ones, that the battery is down, and "how you (again) forgot to remind me to get the charger with me"
    09-21-11 09:49 PM
    Lol I don't here this a lot near my workplace except about android. And it isn't it's to professional its to technical for them. Now when I go home to visit around family and friends I here the total opposite. I hear you have a blackberry too man you must be balling those phones are nothing but business I wouldn't even know how to start one or what to do with it. Very comical how different my world back home is compared to my work place.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC
    09-21-11 10:33 PM
    Advertising is not key to bring RIM back to its former glory or saving it. Advertising can only influence so much. What RIM needs is to beef up its user interface, customer support, in short, make thing simple and not so techny..let me give a few examples:

1. After you downloaded something, why it needs to pop out things like "do you want to grant bla bla bla approved status", "do you want to give it. Bla bla bla permission". WTF, it is redundant, add no value but confusion. When someone downloaded it, pretty sure he already "approved" it.

2. Blackberry ID. This is very poorly implemented, and confusing like **** for someone who just enters into Blackberry world. Instead of saying blackberry ID, it should add a short note that says use any of of email address to be your BB ID. Some people thought you must HAVE a BB ID to continue but wtf where to GET this ID.

Many more, lazy to write..

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    lssanjose likes this.
    09-21-11 10:47 PM
    1. After you downloaded something, why it needs to pop out things like "do you want to grant bla bla bla approved status", "do you want to give it. Bla bla bla permission". WTF, it is redundant, add no value but confusion. When someone downloaded it, pretty sure he already "approved" it.
    I disagree with this. This can save you some trouble if you see an app asking for fishy permissions.
    09-21-11 10:52 PM
    I think that the key to RIM successes is luck and laying on that lock - when the iphone 5 will be out, if it will fail somehow, RIM should have the right devices as a good alternative - then they need to do massive advertisement. where Apple puts their ads RIM should invest there also - so people to see they have the option.
    They will need luck alright. iPhone 5 fail? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Hahaha. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. The fact is iPhone 5 will be perfect. I bet this was meticulously overseen by Jobs himself. The iPhone 4 was almost a fail with the antenna issue and they still managed to sell a few of those. IPhone 5 will be perfect. I forecast iPhone 5 will be the straw that breaks the camels back for RIM. It will clean up the few remaining scraps of all but the super loyal. I considered myself to be fairly loyal to RIM and I am leaving. I can't be the only one. Battery pulls, failed OSes (OS7), lies about Playbook, half finished products (Playbook), bad keyboards (stuttering 9780), all my friends leaving BBM, slow browser, not to mention many other things have left me throwing in the towel.

iPhone 5 fail, that is a good one. Anyone ever wonder why RIM's stock is getting crushed near the iPhone 5 launch? The street knows what I feel.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-22-11 04:59 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD