Hi, im a bit confused whether my Yahoo Messenger for BB (not the mobile version you can use for any phone with an internet browser) uses dataplan even if I am connected to a wifi router.

I am saying this because i downloaded and installed the YM for BB before I even applied for a BB data plan and tried using it to no avail getting an error notice saying "Data Plan Not Available" even though i was connected to a wifi router. I was only able to use the YM after my BIS was activated. However, after calling my carriers CSR and inquired about this concern, they informed me that YM for BB connects to a wifi router/hotspot and does not use the data plan unless it is disconnected from the connection to the router/hotspot.

If this is true, why could'nt i use the YM before when I didnt have a dataplan?

Need to straighten this out so I can monitor my usage. TIA!!!
    01-07-10 04:04 AM
    Yes the app is written by RIM and requires BIS/BES to operate. Even if you are on WiFi it must go through RIM servers. If you don't have BIS/BES you are not allowed access to any RIM services.
    01-07-10 06:03 AM
    Thanks for the quick response. So does this mean, its pointless to connect to a wifi when using YM as it is still using BIS? Would the charges be similar to that of the BB Messenger?
    01-07-10 07:44 PM
    You're going to have to use a 3rd party yahoo client if you want to go straight through wifi without using BIS (there are several, beejive, instango, etc).

The RIM clients use the BIS server to push messages so you don't get a ton of battery drain leaving them running all the time.

So the short answer is yeah, wifi is pointless for the RIM app. Use a 3rd party solution.
    01-07-10 07:46 PM
    Much appreciated answers. I guess it all boils down to a BB unlimited plan then so these concerns wont matter anymore.

Thanks again!
    01-07-10 07:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD