seriously? playing that card NOW?

Amazing how quiet this thread is. Makes me wonder who was ******** on the skype is not coming threads.
    it's a valid card to play.
    01-30-13 11:38 PM
    it's a valid card to play.
    Skype was seen on playbook screen but didnt end up being there.

Skype was seen on z10 screen and DID end up being there.

How is it valid to say skype was seen on playbook screen, and skype was seen on z10 screen, and skype was confirmed on z10, but it may not be on z10?

Thats what you are saying
    01-30-13 11:40 PM
    Considering WP8 is fighting BB10 for third place, it was probably a pretty difficult negotiation with MS to get Skype to even commit. Obviously, the sooner the better, but the fact that they are committed is great. All the more reason for me to ditch Android.....I just need Skype, Whatsapp, and Netflix on the platform when my LE arrives
    01-31-13 12:36 AM
    Considering WP8 is fighting BB10 for third place, it was probably a pretty difficult negotiation with MS to get Skype to even commit. Obviously, the sooner the better, but the fact that they are committed is great. All the more reason for me to ditch Android.....I just need Skype, Whatsapp, and Netflix on the platform when my LE arrives
    ok just because microsoft is in 4th place does not mean they are "fighting" for third. They are way behind.Its not a fight, its a hopeless struggle. This is a major misconception.

Ditch android bud!!!
    SK122387 and Acumenight like this.
    01-31-13 01:00 AM
    I saw a tweet by Skype and it sounds like it's going to be an android port.
    Can't get on twitter to find the tweet since they're overcapacity.
    Last edited by Andrew4life; 01-31-13 at 09:50 AM.
    01-31-13 09:32 AM
    I saw a tweet by Skype and it sounds like it's going to be an android port.
    Can't get on twitter to find the tweet since they're overcapacity.
    Skype ‏@Skype
    Skype plans to offer Skype for #Android on #BlackBerry10 devices. Learn more at: BlackBerry 10 Re-designed Re-engineered and Re-invented - #BB10

That one?
    01-31-13 09:48 AM
    Skype ‏@Skype
    Skype plans to offer Skype for #Android on #BlackBerry10 devices. Learn more at: BlackBerry 10 Re-designed Re-engineered and Re-invented - #BB10

That one?
    Yes
    01-31-13 09:51 AM
    Yes
    When you click on the link though there is no mention of it being an Android port?
    01-31-13 09:59 AM
    When you click on the link though there is no mention of it being an Android port?
    I know, but the tweet clearly says "Skype for Android".
    I hope it's not true and that we get a native app. Or at least we get a native app eventually if they want to do a quick port and then update later.
    01-31-13 10:02 AM
    Amazing how quiet this thread is. Makes me wonder who was ******** on the skype is not coming threads.
    Skype has been known to take their time, remember when there was an app coming to the Bold 9000 running OS5? There was even a leaked skype BETA app, I installed it myself back then, and we never hear anything else about it after that.

It's nice to hear so & so is committed, great news don't get me wrong, and it sounds like they will have a good app in the works with some neat features:

* voice calling
    * video calling
    * instant messaging
    * text messaging!
    * send files (pics/vids/docs)
    * call landlines AND mobiles

With all the above, is there any point in mobile network calling minutes and text bundles??
    01-31-13 10:03 AM
    With all the above, is there any point in mobile network calling minutes and text bundles??
    Don't say it. If carriers got a wind of it, they'd strong arm BlackBerry into killing or crippling VOIP as they did before.
    01-31-13 06:24 PM
    I haven't been through all of the "When is Skype coming to BlackBerry" threads, but I received a tweet from Alec Saunders that says by the time the new BB10 phones are released in the United States Skype will be available.

@asaunders Skype will be there by the time you can buy the phone.....
    02-01-13 12:09 PM
    As long as it's there and working, who cares if it's android port or not.

Surprised that @asaunders gave such a concrete answer. Hopefully that is the case!
    Last edited by greatwiseone; 02-01-13 at 12:33 PM.
    02-01-13 12:15 PM
    As long as it's there and working, who cares if it's android port or not.

Surprised that @asaunders gave such a concrete answer. Hopefully that is the case!
    I agree. I have seen nice android ports and less nice ones. The less nice ones are not on my PB anymore.
    Some of the ones I have are nice enough that I can hardly tell that they are not native, or not at all.

I quiet don't undestand some of the hostility against android ports. Not all of it is bad. They did enhance my PB experience quiet a bit.
    02-01-13 12:49 PM
    I haven't been through all of the "When is Skype coming to BlackBerry" threads, but I received a tweet from Alec Saunders that says by the time the new BB10 phones are released in the United States Skype will be available.

@asaunders Skype will be there by the time you can buy the phone.....
    This is very informative tweet. SKYPE BY MARCH EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!
    Andrew4life likes this.
    02-01-13 12:54 PM
    Here's a copy of the tweet, question came from someone from the US:

Alec Saunders ‏@asaunders
    @Mark_JHS Skype will be there by the time you can buy the phone. Don't know timing on rest, but already have many good substitutes 4 them.
    02-01-13 05:11 PM
    btw, if I remember correctly, Skype wasn't seen actually installed on a PlayBook, it was seen in a mockup of App World.
    02-01-13 05:13 PM
    I've confirmed that the Skype App will NOT be native, and as from the other tweet, it will be an Android Port!

Lets just hope it's a good port.
    Attached Thumbnails YES there will be Skype on blackberry 10 (coming soon)-skype.png  
    02-01-13 07:23 PM
    I wrote previously about the importance of the Android app player, and this is another instance in which BB10 without the critical mass of users can attract applications. Yes. We would all prefer a nice cascades version of Skype, but fact of the matter is that these big app vendors won't dedicate resources to a platform that doesn't have a lot of users. As long as the Skype port is functional (I think BlackBerry needs to open up some apis in the ad app player for Skype), I don't really care. Apps that have their own unique ui don't really look like android apps anyways, and the users can't really tell (like flipboard).
    spike12 likes this.
    02-01-13 11:50 PM
    Skype was seen on playbook screen but didnt end up being there.

Skype was seen on z10 screen and DID end up being there.

How is it valid to say skype was seen on playbook screen, and skype was seen on z10 screen, and skype was confirmed on z10, but it may not be on z10?

Thats what you are saying
    And you have a BB10 device right now to prove that it DID show up and is functional. Like I just posted on a Netflix thread, believe it when you are using it, until then it is speculation.
    Last edited by playboldbook; 02-02-13 at 02:11 AM. Reason: Spelling
    phylez likes this.
    02-02-13 01:04 AM
    I wrote previously about the importance of the Android app player, and this is another instance in which BB10 without the critical mass of users can attract applications. Yes. We would all prefer a nice cascades version of Skype, but fact of the matter is that these big app vendors won't dedicate resources to a platform that doesn't have a lot of users. As long as the Skype port is functional (I think BlackBerry needs to open up some apis in the ad app player for Skype), I don't really care. Apps that have their own unique ui don't really look like android apps anyways, and the users can't really tell (like flipboard).
    Other android apps have access to camera and hub on bb10, what else is needed?
    02-02-13 02:06 AM
    Other android apps have access to camera and hub on bb10, what else is needed?
    Various people have tried sideloading skype to no success on playbook and dev alpha's. I forgot where I read it, but the Android Player isn't allowed to access certain things in bb10 because of security reasons. Only rim and skype know what is needed. By the sound of Alec 's tweet, looks like they know what needs to be done and are already doing it.
    02-02-13 02:16 AM
    I quiet don't undestand some of the hostility against android ports. Not all of it is bad. They did enhance my PB experience quiet a bit.
    I think it comes from poorly ported apps and sideloaded apps that end up glitchy. There is a difference between just converting the android app to a .bar file as is and sending on its way or side loading it and actually doing a little work to optimize the port for BB10. It sounds like skype and blackberry are trying to do the latter, and make a stable well made port. If it loads, works and doesn't crash, who cares?
    02-02-13 04:12 AM
    I know I seen it
    02-02-13 04:19 AM
    Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't they say committed?
    Which means it will come, but we don't know when...
    I don't care about Skype but this "coming soon", "committed", and other weasel words covering the missing applications which BlackBerry said would be available for BlackBerry 10 devices has to end. The launch of BlackBerry PlayBook deja vu. And it is strange, in my opinion, that Password Keeper has to be downloaded from BlackBerry AppWorld instead of being pre-installed on the smartphone as in the past. Will the BlackBerry OS 10 app situation mirror that for BlackBerry OS 7 at launch?
    phylez likes this.
    02-02-13 06:18 AM
50 12