They all have limitations, no? Again, it's personal choice. Calling something a POS doesn't make it so.

Posted with my Q
    I think he meant actually using the phone for phone calls was a sub-par experience.

Personally, the lack of file manager and similar built-in utilities, plus the typing experience on iPhone is enough to prevent me from liking it. If those things don't matter to OP, maybe he'll enjoy it.

Posted via CB10. Join C001A8DC6 for bento-inspired lunch ideas
    03-30-14 07:43 PM
    Oh man, you guys going to have that same discussion again? :P

Posted via CB10
    03-30-14 07:45 PM
    Dude... TgeekB... I'm a phone guy.
    I've been a phone guy for 35 years. I may not be the be all end all phone guy but I have a huge amount of experience. My ears are very well tuned and trained for phone calls. I notice things that many others wouldn't care to notice. I work in the technical aspect of telephony.
    Go ahead and disagree. iPhone call quality is worse than BB.
    How has apple stayed in business if their phone quality is soooooooo poor? I won't argue with which is better, you may be technically correct. People seem to be getting by and are repeat buyers. Doesn't seem that bad.

BTW, I'm 52 and have used most phones out there. Have spent more tech money than I care to admit. I'm not an expert either but a pretty knowledgeable guy.

Posted with my Q
    bbq10l likes this.
    03-30-14 07:47 PM
    I think he meant actually using the phone for phone calls was a sub-par experience.

Personally, the lack of file manager and similar built-in utilities, plus the typing experience on iPhone is enough to prevent me from liking it. If those things don't matter to OP, maybe he'll enjoy it.

Posted via CB10. Join C001A8DC6 for bento-inspired lunch ideas
    You're correct.

Posted with my Q
    03-30-14 07:49 PM
    How has apple stayed in business if their phone quality is soooooooo poor? I won't argue with which is better, you may be technically correct. People seem to be getting by and are repeat buyers. Doesn't seem that bad.

BTW, I'm 52 and have used most phones out there. Have spent more tech money than I care to admit. I'm not an expert either but a pretty knowledgeable guy.

Posted with my Q
    The Apple phone is secondary to the app launcher. It is an iPod with a crappy phone slapped onto it.
    You're promoting it wrong.
    03-30-14 07:55 PM
    Im with iPhone 5s and my last blackberry was 9900 ( I had z10 for 1 day, so it doesn't count).
    The best thing on apple is apps. They turn everything easier. I can't make a bank transfer on a blackberry, or use my tv remote...tomorrow I'll get a z10 to see how things are going on blackberry... Good luck to you. Post after using it.
    I can make bank transfer every day. And I've got no iphone.

Posted via CB10
    Q10Bold and NinjaB like this.
    03-30-14 08:04 PM
    The Apple phone is secondary to the app launcher. It is an iPod with a crappy phone slapped onto it.
    You're promoting it wrong.
    I don't promote anything. I use what I like and if people ask what I think of it I give them my opinion. I don't wear a blackberry hat, an apple shirt......though I do like the little android guy. don't know why.

Posted with my Q
    03-30-14 08:07 PM
    I don't promote anything. I use what I like and if people ask what I think of it I give them my opinion. I don't wear a blackberry hat, an apple shirt......though I do like the little android guy. don't know why.

Posted with my Q
    I recently recommended to my lead guitarist that he get another iPhone. He hates the ecosystem but is a somewhat technophobe.
    It's an OK entry level device.
    03-30-14 08:10 PM
    IPhone4 is definitely one of the worst for call reception and drop calls. My friends and family complain constantly about this issue. Most are on Bell and Rogers in Toronto which are both highly regarded for signal strength quality. Apple has such a strong ecosystem and imagine, people let the most important asset of a smart phone slip by.....an actual phone for conversation. I'll never understand why anyone would want a device that frustrates them when making a simple phone call.....but there you have it.

Powered by BlackBerry
    Last edited by xBURK; 03-30-14 at 08:53 PM.
    03-30-14 08:16 PM
    I've been a phone guy for 35 years. I may not be the be all end all phone guy but I have a huge amount of experience. My ears are very well tuned and trained for phone calls. I notice things that many others wouldn't care to notice. I work in the technical aspect of telephony.
    I have two friends with the iPhone 4s and call quality is poor. One uses BBM Voice chat. That makes a huge difference. We can only speak from experience and everyone is different.

Loving my Zed 10!!
    ghundiraj and canuckvoip like this.
    03-30-14 08:22 PM
    You decide to hate the phone before you start with it, you will hate it so start the experience how you want it to go. iOS and a slab phone is not your old phone but don't let it give you an ulcer. It's a phone you are using for free.

And if calls are important, you have a good data plan, and the others at work are on iPhones, set up Apple IDs and use FaceTime audio between iPhones. The call quality is excellent.
    03-30-14 08:22 PM

Posted with my Q
    The cool factor!!!! Not call quality. My z 10 NEVER had a call drop or lose signal in a conversation. Work issued iPhone 4s, drops all the time and find it easier to let my cients call and let it ring through to voice mail so I can stand a better chance of getting the message.

There's no arguement, if you argue it you have never used a blackberry or your in here to dispute the truth just to cause trouble.

Posted via CB10
    xBURK, ghundiraj and canuckvoip like this.
    03-30-14 08:52 PM
    Got a new job, and they're issuing me an iPhone (4s I think) through AT&T. Asked about getting something else, but I'd have to pay extra for it, and free is always better. And they don't want me using my personal phone for business.
    A job is more important than a phone.
    03-30-14 09:06 PM
    If you're talking about the iPhone 4/4s I might agree, because I heard that when it first came out there was some serious reception problems.

However, I'd have to disagree if you include the 5/5s with it. They both have multiple microphones and the call quality is amazing, you barely can hear any background noise. On top of that, there's been problems on the Z10 with busted speakers. At the very least I can't imagine them being worse than the legacy devices.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-14 09:15 PM
    Got a new job, and they're issuing me an iPhone (4s I think) through AT&T. Asked about getting something else, but I'd have to pay extra for it, and free is always better. And they don't want me using my personal phone for business. Since I hardly ever use my personal phone anyway, except for chatting with my wife ... it would remain mostly dormant, sucking up money.

Up until now, I'd been able to crow about never having used a slab-phone, with the exception of messing around with my wife's Note II.

Well, my trusty 9930 will go into hibernation shortly, since I can't justify keeping it active.

iPhone.

Oh well, guess I'll have to do what ever other twelve-year-old on the planet has done and learn how to use the thing.
    And they say that people from other platforms are too quick to judge. You hated it because of the iPhones childish 'uncool' factor. Then no one can say that those 'children' are wrong for buying something because of the 'cool' factor.

Posted via CB10
    bbq10l likes this.
    03-30-14 09:21 PM
    If you're talking about the iPhone 4/4s I might agree, because I heard that when it first came out there was some serious reception problems.

However, I'd have to disagree if you include the 5/5s with it. They both have multiple microphones and the call quality is amazing, you barely can hear any background noise. On top of that, there's been problems on the Z10 with busted speakers. At the very least I can't imagine them being worse than the legacy devices.

Posted via CB10
    5/5s has HD calling like BB. You must be in an LTE area and speaking to someone in the situation with a HD phone. If that is not available an iPhone is just not as good voice quality-wise. IMHO
    03-30-14 09:22 PM
    Guys, guys, .... I think the OP left the building. It's done.

Posted via CB10
    canuckvoip, ghundiraj and eldricho like this.
    03-30-14 09:26 PM
    Got a new job, and they're issuing me an iPhone (4s I think) through AT&T. Asked about getting something else, but I'd have to pay extra for it, and free is always better. And they don't want me using my personal phone for business. Since I hardly ever use my personal phone anyway, except for chatting with my wife ... it would remain mostly dormant, sucking up money.

Up until now, I'd been able to crow about never having used a slab-phone, with the exception of messing around with my wife's Note II.

Well, my trusty 9930 will go into hibernation shortly, since I can't justify keeping it active.

iPhone.

Oh well, guess I'll have to do what ever other twelve-year-old on the planet has done and learn how to use the thing.
    Did you do something wrong at work? Seems like a very harsh punishment.
    03-30-14 09:37 PM
    After using a BlackBerry going to iPhone is going to make you go insane.

Z30 10.2.1.537
    Totally agree. I don't think I could ever go back

Posted via CB10
    03-30-14 09:43 PM
    att has the Z10 for free or Q10 for $50 with a 2 yr commitment for non business consumers, can't imagine it is much more expensive for your business, but perhaps wait for them to pickup the Z30 or next device released. You can also use bbm on the iphone to keep supporting blackberry.
    That's a pretty good idea. Know they've already ordered and shipped the iPhone though, so yeah - it'll have to wait.

They must have a deal with AT&T. I'm a new hire, and all managers get i-devices, unless they want to shell out some coin.
    03-30-14 10:07 PM
    Don't worry, iPhone's are really simple to use. They are basically toys.

Posted via CB10
    Johberry likes this.
    03-30-14 10:12 PM
    That's a pretty good idea. Know they've already ordered and shipped the iPhone though, so yeah - it'll have to wait.

They must have a deal with AT&T. I'm a new hire, and all managers get i-devices, unless they want to shell out some coin.
    Well... it sucks to be an iPhone user...
    It's an entry level device, and here are 15 reasons it's not as good as a Z30...

1) Miracast – This is a nifty feature that can broadcast your phone screen and audio wirelessly peer to peer to another Miracast enabled device such as a TV or Miracast Dongle. Apple has Apple TV, which is similar, but in it’s usual fashion only works with other Apple devices. Miracast is much like having wireless HDMI.

2) WiDi – Similar to Miracast, WiFi Direct can mirror your screen and audio to another WiDi capable device. This Intel directive uses a “soft AP” (Access Point) in the sending device, usually a laptop or other portable device.
    3) NFC – Near Field Communications allows the transfer of files between devices, electronic payments at point of sale, and easy manipulation of device features with the use of tags.
    4) USBOTG – USB On the Go allows the connection of numerous 3rd party peripherals to your BlackBerry 10 phone. The list includes hard drives, memory sticks, keyboards, mice, and many more. This, plus a connection to a large flat screen gives you almost work station like performance. Amazing!
    5) SD card – The SD card slot allows up to 2 TBs of extra file storage. At the time of this writing, users have successfully installed 128gb SD cards. I have a 64gb card in my Z30, which in addition to the built-in 16gb, gives me a whopping 80gb phone!
    6) DLNA – Digital Living Network Alliance is a standard in wide use for streaming multimedia files over a WiFi network. Unlike Miracast, DLNA requires a wireless LAN in order to function as opposed to the peer to peer nature of Miracast. The advantage of DLNA is that once you start streaming a movie or song, you are free to use the phone for other things such as BBM or email. Were you to do this with Miracast, the TV would be showing you messaging someone.
    7) Stereo speakers – Not needing much of an explanation the iPhone is mono only. The Z30 stereo speakers are second to none. Beautiful sound.
    8) 4 mics – This allows for natural sound in HD phone calls, BBM voice and video calls, and stereo video recordings.
    9) Flash – Flash makes for a much more rich and enjoyable web browsing experience. There are thousands of sites that use flash content and this is one reason why BB10 users don’t need “an app for that”.
    10) 5″ screen – Poor iPhone… stuck with a tiny 4” screen. Both the Z10 at 4.2” and the Z30 at 5” are larger making for a much better experience.
    11) HDMI out – I’ve used the native HDMI out countless times in the boardroom and at home to show presentations and watch movies. People are amazed seeing the 1080p quality coming from such a small device.

12) Wireless charging – Available to some Z30 models, wireless Qi is a convenient and un-tethered way of charging your phone. Available from Verizon.
    13) A file system – So many BB10 users take this for granted. Being able to place music, documents, pictures, and video files in any existing or newly created folder. You cannot say that you have “mobile computing” without this basic feature. Plus, on BB10 you can manipulate and move those files wirelessly from a laptop or desktop.

14) RFA – Remote File Access. Toobs reminded me of this little gem (thanks Toobs). Imagine being able to access any file on your laptop or desktop from anywhere in the world! It’s like having your own little (or big) cloud storage. Any drive that your PC is mapped to including NAS, USB, servers, etc. All accessible in your hand. Many Terabytes await you!
    15) And… you know what? It’s the year 2014 and if I send an iPhone user an email, they can’t even reply to it with an attachment! That in itself is the most ridiculous lack of efficiency I’ve ever seen.
    03-30-14 10:17 PM
    Well... it sucks to be an iPhone user...
    It's an entry level device, and here are 15 reasons it's not as good as a Z30...

1) Miracast � This is a nifty feature that can broadcast your phone screen and audio wirelessly peer to peer to another Miracast enabled device such as a TV or Miracast Dongle. Apple has Apple TV, which is similar, but in it�s usual fashion only works with other Apple devices. Miracast is much like having wireless HDMI.

2) WiDi � Similar to Miracast, WiFi Direct can mirror your screen and audio to another WiDi capable device. This Intel directive uses a �soft AP� (Access Point) in the sending device, usually a laptop or other portable device.
    3) NFC � Near Field Communications allows the transfer of files between devices, electronic payments at point of sale, and easy manipulation of device features with the use of tags.
    4) USBOTG � USB On the Go allows the connection of numerous 3rd party peripherals to your BlackBerry 10 phone. The list includes hard drives, memory sticks, keyboards, mice, and many more. This, plus a connection to a large flat screen gives you almost work station like performance. Amazing!
    5) SD card � The SD card slot allows up to 2 TBs of extra file storage. At the time of this writing, users have successfully installed 128gb SD cards. I have a 64gb card in my Z30, which in addition to the built-in 16gb, gives me a whopping 80gb phone!
    6) DLNA � Digital Living Network Alliance is a standard in wide use for streaming multimedia files over a WiFi network. Unlike Miracast, DLNA requires a wireless LAN in order to function as opposed to the peer to peer nature of Miracast. The advantage of DLNA is that once you start streaming a movie or song, you are free to use the phone for other things such as BBM or email. Were you to do this with Miracast, the TV would be showing you messaging someone.
    7) Stereo speakers � Not needing much of an explanation the iPhone is mono only. The Z30 stereo speakers are second to none. Beautiful sound.
    8) 4 mics � This allows for natural sound in HD phone calls, BBM voice and video calls, and stereo video recordings.
    9) Flash � Flash makes for a much more rich and enjoyable web browsing experience. There are thousands of sites that use flash content and this is one reason why BB10 users don�t need �an app for that�.
    10) 5″ screen � Poor iPhone� stuck with a tiny 4� screen. Both the Z10 at 4.2� and the Z30 at 5� are larger making for a much better experience.
    11) HDMI out � I�ve used the native HDMI out countless times in the boardroom and at home to show presentations and watch movies. People are amazed seeing the 1080p quality coming from such a small device.

12) Wireless charging � Available to some Z30 models, wireless Qi is a convenient and un-tethered way of charging your phone. Available from Verizon.
    13) A file system � So many BB10 users take this for granted. Being able to place music, documents, pictures, and video files in any existing or newly created folder. You cannot say that you have �mobile computing� without this basic feature. Plus, on BB10 you can manipulate and move those files wirelessly from a laptop or desktop.

14) RFA � Remote File Access. Toobs reminded me of this little gem (thanks Toobs). Imagine being able to access any file on your laptop or desktop from anywhere in the world! It�s like having your own little (or big) cloud storage. Any drive that your PC is mapped to including NAS, USB, servers, etc. All accessible in your hand. Many Terabytes await you!
    15) And� you know what? It�s the year 2014 and if I send an iPhone user an email, they can�t even reply to it with an attachment! That in itself is the most ridiculous lack of efficiency I�ve ever seen.
    Can we stop with the comparisons? It's not helping anyone at all. I can guarantee you that there's a compelling list on why an iPhone is better than the Z30 as well. Just enjoy the device.

Posted via CB10
    bbq10l and TgeekB like this.
    03-30-14 11:09 PM
    4S? No wonder it's free.

I'd take the 9930 over that phone any day. I'd PAY extra to use something else. It's not even the newest iPhone or the 5. I hope it's not a 4S. I hate seeing the 4 and 4S. Apple has done a great job of making their other phones feel dated. At least try and get a 5....
    03-30-14 11:43 PM
    LOL. Fun stuff.
    03-31-14 12:06 AM
109 1234 ...