Just an idea for a key3. Basically a little more screen and a little more modularity . Resulting in no need for multiple keypad models. Maybe even some water Resistance. Ignore the motomod connector. But imagine keypad just clicks in place. Use sim tool to remove it . Would make repairs super easy. Oh you have a worn out key. Here's a new keypad replacement . 10 seconds and presto. Or if you sell the device to someone in a different region you could get local specific layouts. Instead of making seperate devices. What do you think ?
    Attached Thumbnails yay or nay?-143163.jpg  
    BigBadWulf and Mecca EL like this.
    05-15-19 11:03 AM
    just another part to break IMO. not sure it would really be "attached" as tight as i want either.
    spantch101 likes this.
    05-15-19 11:06 AM
    with a spring mechanism that is on the keypad itself. it could be as tight as you want as log as the shell it's clipping into is rigid enough without needing to worry about another part breaking. As the shell on the phone part would have no moving parts
    05-15-19 11:18 AM
    just another part to break IMO. not sure it would really be "attached" as tight as i want either.
    And let's be honest. The keypad already has over 30 buttons . We don't seem too concerned by having a few parts that can break already
    05-15-19 11:21 AM
    Just an idea for a key3. Basically a little more screen and a little more modularity . Resulting in no need for multiple keypad models. Maybe even some water Resistance. Ignore the motomod connector. But imagine keypad just clicks in place. Use sim tool to remove it . Would make repairs super easy. Oh you have a worn out key. Here's a new keypad replacement . 10 seconds and presto. Or if you sell the device to someone in a different region you could get local specific layouts. Instead of making seperate devices. What do you think ?
    Not sure where the savings would come in for BBMo.... You'd still have different sku's for different varriant with different keyboards - your just moving at what point the keyboard is "included". In the end for the modularity... it might cost more.

If done right I think consumers would appreciate the modularity capabilities.... but let's face it, they killed off the replaceable battery, not sure making other items like keyboard, 5G Modules, Speakers or Cameras is really viable... at lest not with the niche BBMo is dealing with.
    05-15-19 11:34 AM
    i wasn't thinking modular in the sense of other attempts. basically having easier to replace keypads. of all my BlackBerry devices over the years have eventually had to have keypads replaced. I have carried out repairs on my own. but not without its issues in getting quality replacement parts. basically wouldnt need to have seperate device runs in manufacturing. all devices would be exactly the same physically with keyboards made in accordance to the target audience. and allowing for a genuine replacement part to be purchased in secondary market.
    05-15-19 11:40 AM
    when the key2 first came out a ton of people here on the forums complained about the sound of their keypads. the uneven backlighting etc. just thought this method would allow those issues to be mitigated without a need for all the devices people sent back. I've heard stories of people returning multiple devices til they got one they were satisfied with.. if they were designed to be user replaceable. a keypad swap could have been an easier and less expensive option.
    05-15-19 11:44 AM
    when the key2 first came out a ton of people here on the forums complained about the sound of their keypads. the uneven backlighting etc. just thought this method would allow those issues to be mitigated without a need for all the devices people sent back. I've heard stories of people returning multiple devices til they got one they were satisfied with.. if they were designed to be user replaceable. a keypad swap could have been an easier and less expensive option.
    They complained about the camera too...

I do get that the keyboard is moving parts and that it's more likely over the life of the phone that a user will have a problem with the keyboard. I do think it is a good idea.
    05-15-19 12:00 PM
    yay
    spantch101 likes this.
    05-15-19 12:23 PM
    I'd say yay.

Anything that is geared more towards ease of replacement/repair is a very good thing in my opinion.

I'm not even sure this would cost a ton more in R&D, but at least a little bit yes.

If BBMo could figure out how to make 1 universal variant of the KEY3 (kind of like the Pixel phones, right?) And then have this system for ease of assembling different regional keyboards, it could potentially save quite a bit of time during assembly process.

You could even go a step further and they could have the same system but for the display, as in you could remove the 4.5" display module as well as the keyboard as mentioned above and stick in a full touch 6" display for slab fans.
    That way, you either have the 4.5" + PKB as two separate modules, or the 6" display as one module that covers the entire front of the phone.

Everyone wins...

...if the R&D isn't too expensive to put such a thing in place.
    05-15-19 04:38 PM
    I'd say yay.

Anything that is geared more towards ease of replacement/repair is a very good thing in my opinion.

I'm not even sure this would cost a ton more in R&D, but at least a little bit yes.

If BBMo could figure out how to make 1 universal variant of the KEY3 (kind of like the Pixel phones, right?) And then have this system for ease of assembling different regional keyboards, it could potentially save quite a bit of time during assembly process.

You could even go a step further and they could have the same system but for the display, as in you could remove the 4.5" display module as well as the keyboard as mentioned above and stick in a full touch 6" display for slab fans.
    That way, you either have the 4.5" + PKB as two separate modules, or the 6" display as one module that covers the entire front of the phone.

Everyone wins...

...if the R&D isn't too expensive to put such a thing in place.
    Lol. That was exactly what I was hoping from the original phonebloks would be A great way to cater to all bb fans. If it wasn't too expensive.
    05-15-19 05:21 PM
    Lol. That was exactly what I was hoping from the original phonebloks would be A great way to cater to all bb fans. If it wasn't too expensive.
    No just BB Fans... if it were practical I think many wold love that option.
    05-16-19 01:38 PM
    Moved to concepts with a couple days of redirect.

I'm digging it! Imagine if the keypad was flippable, and another language or touchpad lay underneath. Also, accessories like a HiFi speaker would be possible.
    05-16-19 09:22 PM
    05-17-19 02:55 PM
    Moved to concepts with a couple days of redirect.

I'm digging it! Imagine if the keypad was flippable, and another language or touchpad lay underneath. Also, accessories like a HiFi speaker would be possible.
    Lol, thanks for moving to the appropriate section, I posted in general just to make sure a few eyes saw it. The forums are a much quieter place these days. Glad to see you're still here helping keep the ship on course.

Posted via CB10
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    06-08-19 07:38 AM