A very nice article:

RIM's BlackBerry Smartphone Demise 'Greatly Exaggerated'

Yankee Group, the Boston-based research and consultancy firm, contends that the so-called "death" of RIM in the smartphone market has been "greatly exaggerated."

In a December report outlining predictions for 2012, Yankee Group forecasts that RIM will remain one of the top three smartphone suppliers at the expense of Microsoft the proprietor of the Windows Phone operating system and its partner Nokia, the world's largest handset maker.
    Looks like even the analysts can see a brighter future for RIM. The closer BB10 phones get to market, the more nervous the doomsayers seem to get
    Blackberry_boffin likes this.
    12-07-11 05:20 PM
    well bb10 is their last saving grace for a lot of crackheads.

but RIM strives in many other economies, and well look at the Indonesia riots.

They only struggle in the western urban markets and sadly that's where the stock and many analysts are.
    12-07-11 05:30 PM
    We're starting to see BB10 phones, and OS2 for the pb looks like it'll make the February deadline...I'm excited
    12-07-11 05:36 PM
    I would like to see RIM give us release dates. No rumors etc. An official statement from RIM
    12-07-11 05:42 PM
    As a project manager I have mixed feelings on dates.

The final delivery MUST have a date. That's how it goes. Prototype will be ready in 30 days, production units in 300 days.

Release dates thou, need to take logistics, marketing and a whole lot more stuff into account... Those constraints usually get messy and RIM could (again) make a fool of themselves if they try to give us specific timeframes... Let's not forget carriers like AT&T (9900 anyone?)...

The impression I get thou is that deliverables don't really have dates attached to them. Prototype will be ready when it is ready and production may take anything between 30 and 900 days. Oh, make it 1000, we may need to do testing.

I hope I'm wrong, but it feels like RIM has good product managers, which they call project managers, but no real project manager (or project management methodology) at all.
    12-07-11 06:37 PM
    A very nice article:

RIM's BlackBerry Smartphone Demise 'Greatly Exaggerated'

Looks like even the analysts can see a brighter future for RIM. The closer BB10 phones get to market, the more nervous the doomsayers seem to get
    So an analyst who is upbeat on RIMM is an analyst, and everyone else is an "analcyst", is that how it goes?
    purijagmohan likes this.
    12-07-11 06:50 PM
  7. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    We're starting to see BB10 phones, and OS2 for the pb looks like it'll make the February deadline...I'm excited
    I agree ... Playbook 2.0 release in february will be .. and must be .. very solid and epic! .... that will go a long way on the tablet front .. and the new phones must be imaginative and awesome too! .. and released q1!
    12-07-11 06:51 PM
    So an analyst who is upbeat on RIMM is an analyst, and everyone else is an "analcyst", is that how it goes?
    you do know this is the CB forums right? the reality distortion here is on par with that of the late Steve Jobs.
    12-08-11 01:44 PM
    I agree ... Playbook 2.0 release in february will be .. and must be .. very solid and epic! .... that will go a long way on the tablet front .. and the new phones must be imaginative and awesome too! .. and released q1!
    So this is all RIM has to do to recover? Yep, they're in great shape.
    12-08-11 01:51 PM
    I would like to see RIM give us release dates. No rumors etc. An official statement from RIM
    No, I'd much rather they use a window, and I don't mind if it's a little vague.

Setting firm dates causes problems when those dates slip, and there can be a million reasons for that to happen. Many of those reasons don't have anything to do with the quality of the product itself.
    12-08-11 01:57 PM
    you do know this is the CB forums right? the reality distortion here is on par with that of the late Steve Jobs.
    Aw come now. You cannot match Mr Steve Jobs.
    12-08-11 02:09 PM
    As a project manager I have mixed feelings on dates.

The final delivery MUST have a date. That's how it goes. Prototype will be ready in 30 days, production units in 300 days.

Release dates thou, need to take logistics, marketing and a whole lot more stuff into account... Those constraints usually get messy and RIM could (again) make a fool of themselves if they try to give us specific timeframes... Let's not forget carriers like AT&T (9900 anyone?)...

The impression I get thou is that deliverables don't really have dates attached to them. Prototype will be ready when it is ready and production may take anything between 30 and 900 days. Oh, make it 1000, we may need to do testing.

I hope I'm wrong, but it feels like RIM has good product managers, which they call project managers, but no real project manager (or project management methodology) at all.
    Very interesting. Being a PM myself, I've never looked at RIM this way. I'm sure they have some kind of methodology; but like many large organizations, it's probably bogged down in so much governance and red tape that it can't move its own bloat. I'd sure like to know what their PMO looks like ... if they even have one. That'd make for one he11 of a case study.
    12-08-11 02:28 PM
    PMO? You must be joking, LOL. Have you been keeping track of RIM's deliverables in the last few years?

Fashionably late would be kind way of saying it.

Very interesting. Being a PM myself, I've never looked at RIM this way. I'm sure they have some kind of methodology; but like many large organizations, it's probably bogged down in so much governance and red tape that it can't move its own bloat. I'd sure like to know what their PMO looks like ... if they even have one. That'd make for one he11 of a case study.
    12-08-11 07:11 PM
    If the trend of BB beating MS holds true look for the Carriers in the US to give more support to RIM. Even a small bump now will be a big deal.
    12-09-11 01:17 AM
    PMO? You must be joking, LOL. Have you been keeping track of RIM's deliverables in the last few years?

Fashionably late would be kind way of saying it.
    Bring this back to reality, external factors is always a variable that cannot be accounted for.

As a developer and one who has to carry a PM role as I manage a team you can ask anyone that resources (such as people) are something hard to manage.

We can see RIM trying to do many things at once.

For example the whole outage probably caused developers, testers and support techs to drop their deliverable duties and fix an issue at hand. Also with the Alec Saunders joining I am sure he changed a few deliverables.

These are all variables that will affect a timeline. And all businesses are affected by it. It doesn't mean they do not have PMO. Places who do not have a project management usually never deliver anything as they are constantly dealing with feature creep.

Reality is sh** happens...
    12-09-11 09:34 AM
  16. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Expecting 2012 to be a great year for RIM... starting with major 2.0 release for the Playbook .. and followed by amazing new smartphones BB 10 based ...
    12-13-11 12:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD