I understand people's panicked initial reaction to the news that Yahoo scanned emails, but the details are different than the perception.

From what has been published it appears that a specific small data string ('signature') was identified as being connected to terrorism, and a court order was properly issued to scan emails for that string. Yahoo then complied with the request.

This is how the system is supposed to work. Government employees were not allowed to go "fishing" for information. They had to present evidence to a legally sanctioned court documenting exactly what they were looking for (down to the exact byte, in this case). An automated scan was performed, and only communications with the specific signature were returned for further investigation.

All.of this is allowed for in users' terms of use with Yahoo email.

If this isn't legal and appropriate, we should just fire all law enforcement and stop making laws.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-16 08:22 AM
    Wrong.
    Period.
    10-06-16 08:57 AM
    And what if it stopped a major terrorist attack and saved 100's of lives?

Could something like this be used against us under some tolatelarie regime... sure (but then we'd have other things to worry about).

If you want real privacy.... well if you read the TOS or Privacy Policy for most Service Providers.... you'll known that no such thing exists.
    10-06-16 09:06 AM
    An automated scan was performed, and only communications with the specific signature were returned for further investigation.
    More accurately, all they did was ad a rule/trigger to the current anti-spam/malware system in place. People freak out at news when they hear their email was being scanned, when it's always being scanned anyway.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    10-06-16 09:07 AM
    Wrong.
    Period.
    Naked assertions without argument are unconvincing.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-16 09:30 AM
    Not trying to convince anyone, no need to.
    BUT, if you would like to share all of your e-correspondence with me, I'm sure there would be no problem.
    Just "cc"/forward all to me.
    No issues........
    10-06-16 09:58 AM
    How's that old saying goes anytime you send out any information via text or email, just remember the whole world is reading it.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-16 11:11 AM
    Nevertheless, deleted two email accounts which I had since 1999!
    By by...

Because of several reasons :
    1. Yahoo is a Yank company
    2. Lot's of junk mails
    3. Bad and inconvenience to use on BlackBerry devices
    4. Was fed-up anyway
    5. Got much better email host with better encryption and PGP options elsewhere

Posted either via -Passport SQW100-1 or -Classic SQC100-1 / 10.3.++
    Carl Estes likes this.
    10-06-16 02:48 PM
    I understand people's panicked initial reaction to the news that Yahoo scanned emails, but the details are different than the perception.

From what has been published it appears that a specific small data string ('signature') was identified as being connected to terrorism, and a court order was properly issued to scan emails for that string. Yahoo then complied with the request.

This is how the system is supposed to work. Government employees were not allowed to go "fishing" for information. They had to present evidence to a legally sanctioned court documenting exactly what they were looking for (down to the exact byte, in this case). An automated scan was performed, and only communications with the specific signature were returned for further investigation.

All.of this is allowed for in users' terms of use with Yahoo email.

If this isn't legal and appropriate, we should just fire all law enforcement and stop making laws.

Posted via CB10
    Yahoo tried stopping them. There was NO court order. It was large scale surveillance. There was a previous court matter that was lost by Yahoo under more specific circumstances, that Yahoo loss spurred their inaction . They had grounds to fight this time around but decided to bend. A senior executive left, resigned and went over to FB. Knowing the fallout for Yahoo would be bad. At least FB pretends to respect your privacy.

I feel so much safer now after having my emails probed. I feel so warm and fuzzy inside.
    Posted via CB10
    Carl Estes likes this.
    10-06-16 02:52 PM
    Yahoo tried stopping them. There was NO court order. It was large scale surveillance. There was a previous court matter that was lost by Yahoo under more specific circumstances, that Yahoo loss spurred their inaction . They had grounds to fight this time around but decided to bend. A senior executive left, resigned and went over to FB. Knowing the fallout for Yahoo would be bad. At least FB pretends to respect your privacy.

I feel so much safer now after having my emails probed. I feel so warm and fuzzy inside.
    Posted via CB10
    Your name wouldn't be Eric Cartman, by chance would it?????
    10-07-16 08:57 AM
    Your name wouldn't be Eric Cartman, by chance would it?????
    Why yes. How did you know?

Posted via CB10
    10-07-16 09:11 AM

Posted via CB10
    What did they do to you? *eek* =8-o

TSA or NSA,
    you're getting probed any-way...

;-D

�   "Chenterprise. We are the future. Resistance is futile. Prepare to BBe... "   �
    10-08-16 06:24 AM
    Nevertheless, deleted two email accounts which I had since 1999!
    By by...

Because of several reasons :
    1. Yahoo is a Yank company
    2. Lot's of junk mails
    3. Bad and inconvenience to use on BlackBerry devices
    4. Was fed-up anyway
    5. Got much better email host with better encryption and PGP options elsewhere

Ugh, just ugh.
    10-08-16 10:11 PM
    Ugh, just ugh.
    Ook, Ook...
    That's how the Librarian would spell it...
    Lol...

10-09-16 04:12 AM