on another note. the sony xperia Z looks like a pretty good phone.
    i see there are still stupid people in these forums claiming android as laggy and buggy. wish they would do some research before commenting on things they clearly have no clue about. as if android will fall this year. clueless fools
    still it looks like there will be a lot of choice for consumers this year. new iphone, new s4, the xperia z, new blackberries.
    variety is the spice of life, this can only be a good thing
    Variety is a good thing. As far as this video goes, its a well put together video. The phone looks good, but they don't show much of the software at all.

The water resistant part is really nice. I drive truck and lean over my 9810 in a light rain to protect the phone if I need to check it. I like that feature. But that feature and a great camera would not make me buy an Android phone. I know many like it but I have used it on 3 or 4 devices and I'm not a fan.

James
    01-20-13 03:23 PM
    Learn how to spell (proper case and punctuation) and we might take you seriously. Your knowledge of the English language is not the issue.
    Agreed. Your posts are almost intangible, especially WiTh tHe ConsTanT TyPiNg liKe ThiS..
    I don't see any forum rules that state one shouldn't type LiKe ThiS or like that. Not everyone here has had English as their first language or even their native language. I would rather concentrate on the matter being communicated than be an English language/grammar tutor.

Coming back to the topic, Apple has consistently shown better specs don't mean $h!t, it's the software that matters. Some people are kinder to a certain software; and each one of us should realize that our preferences will be vastly different. As a few posters have pointed out, each OS would have some limitation; either in the form of battery pulls, memory hogs, or the fact that you need to skin a software to make it different from other vendors.
    01-20-13 03:27 PM
    For what the OP said...

Well, the hardware side of things sounds great. Personally, I don't really need a full HD screen in my pocket. I'm big on specs, yes, but I don't personally need 1080P in my pocket. The processor in there and the camera options sound incredible. I think it will be one heck of a phone. Will the Z10 be playing catch-up as BlackBerry has historically done? Perhaps, but in my personal and humble opinion only if BB10 doesn't live up to its hype.

Wading into the OS argument that was here, I will say my piece. Android has a ton of potential, with new features constantly being added and improvements to the speed and fluidity of the OS itself also coming forward. That said, my problem with android is that it never behaves the same way from one manufacturer (or even model sometimes) to the next. A lot of that has to do with the OEM and what they have done to tweak the OS and "make it theirs". I have had bad apps come into my device and it's taken quite literally a week or two to figure out which app is causing my device to become completely non-responsive even when it isn't running (yeah that was fun), and had apps that had disagreements with security features of my device (yeah that was even MORE fun, thanks Skype....). Upgrades do take quite some time to come down the pipe, and some never come. My Amaze 4G has incredibly similar specifications to the One S, but will not receive a Jelly Bean 4.1 update more than likely, despite most likely being able to run it without issue. The solution for most of us is fairly simple, yes... flash stock android on (I'm a smart guy, but messing around with the software of my phone isn't something I like to do unless it's an official update... sorry) or buy a Nexus (none of the Nexus devices really appeal to me for some reason... sorry). If I want the latest features of Android, or in some cases even the latest bug fixes / security fixes... I basically have to buy a new phone. Not to mention, with so many different versions of Android STILL floating around (Gingerbread being the most predominant still at last check being a little under 50% of all devices... not even starting to count OEM modifications), Apps that issue bug fixes for one version of the OS may inadvertently create problems for another version of the OS. Great examples? Skype and Rdio (still waiting for Rdio to work properly on my Amaze 4G after their last fix). I'm not saying Android is horrible, like I said, it's got great potential and it does do things that perhaps even BB10 won't do out of the gate. But it's not without its drawbacks.

This is where I'm hoping BB10 will be different, and RIM actually has been different in the past anyways. A device from RIM is given support for quite some time, not just until the latest OS comes out. A good example in my opinion is the 9000, and any current OS7 device (yeah I know... just hear me out). The 9000 came out with 4.6.xx (or maybe it was 4.5.xx). After OS 5 came out, not only were maintenance updates issued for OS 4.5 and 4.6 devices, apps were still being created to work properly (as properly as possible anyways) on 4.5 and 4.6. OS 5 even came out for the Bold 9000. As for the OS 7 devices, not only have they all received OS 7.1 (not just a handful, but every single one), but it sounds like they will continue to receive security / bug fixes well into the life of BB10, which is a far cry different from the Android approach (if it can upgrade, upgrade it, if it can't, leave it behind and ignore it). Now this is all just observation, and I'm aware I could be wrong, and if I am I'd love to know so I am better educated. In bringing up updates, though, while BB10 does still have to receive authorization from carriers before being pushed out, it sounds like the carriers themselves will have less of a hand in the actual OS itself, leading to hopefully less bloatware.

Now I will say that the BlackBerry OS has typically been more power/memory efficient than Android (again, personal observation), and it looks like with BB10 it should be that way again, only even more so. I haven't had a chance to compare directly with a device of the same age as my playbook, however I believe one would argue that the playbook's methods for multitasking, while yes somewhat "borrowed" from webos, function a good bit better than how they would on Android. Ignoring the cool features of the latest high-end Samsung devices, if you switch away from something you are working on or watching, it generally pauses while you are off that screen. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, per say, and it's not like music suddenly stops when you switch to another app or another screen, background processes are still existent. But BB10 seems to be much more capable at multitasking in comparison. This is despite the hardware being essentially equal to the North American variant of the S3 from Samsung. I think one dev also may have said something at one time about QNX on the Playbook running a natively coded app more smoothly than an equivalent spec Android device with the same natively coded app, and it was an article here on CrackBerry. If that is completely true, then I believe that it will help people see that it's not all about hardware, or all about software, it's the right combination of both.

Oh... and I do say good things 'bout my torch 9810's browser speed up against my Amaze 4G :P lol sorry I just had to throw that in there.
    01-20-13 03:32 PM
    sonys xperia z? yeah its a nice phone, and I love sony, but still it has android(not bashing android, but I mean who likes being "watched" 24/7). I was looking trough the android market in my phone, never seen so many useles apps asking for location based services, or being able to record audio I mean it didn't even need those features. there is tons of better apps in that market its just I don't trust google since they are the ones changing the world wide web x). more like big brother universal xD
    01-20-13 03:35 PM
    Thanks for those with constructive responses guys, found like 6 that actually answered my question lol...

There's still hope for BB10 as we know nothing of actual specs but lots of software.
    01-20-13 03:47 PM
    Thanks for those with constructive responses guys, found like 6 that actually answered my question lol...

There's still hope for BB10 as we know nothing of actual specs but lots of software.
    Yeah, I think your thread was hijacked a bit by the android "misinformation" police. They spend a lot of time on here. The general message is that anyone who had an experience on android that is not similar to their own is misinforming the masses. At any rate I liked the video. It would be nice if all phones were waterproof. That is a cool feature. I don't think BB will entertain serious spec races any more than iphone or windows/nokia do. The spec race seems to be a way for various android manufacturers to one up each other.
    01-20-13 04:07 PM
    Yeah, I think your thread was hijacked a bit by the android "misinformation" police. They spend a lot of time on here. The general message is that anyone who had an experience on android that is not similar to their own is misinforming the masses. At any rate I liked the video. It would be nice if all phones were waterproof. That is a cool feature. I don't think BB will entertain serious spec races any more than iphone or windows/nokia do. The spec race seems to be a way for various android manufacturers to one up each other.
    I think to an extent even Windows Phone will begin to run into a spec race, or at least an "added features" race. All they control with Windows Phone is the base specs of the device, from there the manufacturer can decide things like how many cores (WP8 requires a minimum 2 cores I think, but can handle more), camera specifications, battery size, screen size, screen resolution, build style.... you get the idea. In fact, Windows Phone is even more restrictive than Android because the UI is identical, and the experience really can only change depending on the device specifications and whatever little extras the OEM is able to throw in (Nokia with their Nokia Drive functionality, Samsung has their own hub in there too I think). Take for example music. HTC devices have their exclusivity on Beats Audio technology built into the phone, meaning people who love their music and want the best audio experience on a Windows Phone device should automatically look at the HTC 8X. Nokia devices have audio almost as good (depending on who you ask), but have a significantly better camera. With Windows Phone, the main place the OEM can differentiate is in the hardware... that's it.

You are right, though, in saying that RIM will probably not enter into any serious spec races, just as the iPhone doesn't really enter into any major spec races beyond the "it will load this X-times faster than the last generation iPhone". How the software behaves on the hardware will be what helps people decide in the end, and then as more models come out the differentiation between them will be the hardware, but as it's (at least for now) all from the same manufacturer not competing with itself the primary feature set of the software will remain the same..... I hope I'm making my point at least somewhat...
    01-20-13 04:24 PM
    sonys xperia z? yeah its a nice phone, and I love sony, but still it has android(not bashing android, but I mean who likes being "watched" 24/7). I was looking trough the android market in my phone, never seen so many useles apps asking for location based services, or being able to record audio I mean it didn't even need those features. there is tons of better apps in that market its just I don't trust google since they are the ones changing the world wide web x). more like big brother universal xD
    That's why I very rarely download anything from the Play Store that doesnt have the editor's choice or top developer distinctions. Star rating and reviews can be good indicators of app quality too, but those can always be padded/skewed. And I never sideload apps from other sites. Keeping an Android safe requires the same bit of common sense as keeping a Windows PC safe. Know what you're downloading, don't fall for phishing scams, run a reputable antivirus (avg is awesome), and just be smart.
    01-20-13 04:51 PM
    Yup. I use an Android device as my primary device now. I use a 9930 for work and a 9900 for BBM.

I spend time here because I am a BB user.

I call out misinformation on any of the three platforms I use.

That's just the way it is.
    01-20-13 05:27 PM
    Yup. I use an Android device as my primary device now. I use a 9930 for work and a 9900 for BBM.

I spend time here because I am a BB user.

I call out misinformation on any of the three platforms I use.

That's just the way it is.
    Good for you. So do I. I think most try to. Some label misinformation as not having the exact same experience as they claim to have had. I consider that life while using electronics. But I don't usually call that misinformation. It is usually user experience and preference.
    01-20-13 05:42 PM
    Good for you. So do I. I think most try to. Some label misinformation as not having the exact same experience as they claim to have had. I consider that life while using electronics. But I don't usually call that misinformation. It is usually user experience and preference.
    I am thinking of misinformation such a claiming that a device or OS cannot do something that it clearly can, but the poster is absolutely misinformed. I am speaking of facts. There are two threads right now that are examples of this.
    When it comes to preference I leave it alone because it is subjective.
    randall2580 likes this.
    01-20-13 05:45 PM
    I am thinking of misinformation such a claiming that a device or OS cannot do something that it clearly can, but the poster is absolutely misinformed. I am speaking of facts. There are two threads right now that are examples of this.
    When it comes to preference I leave it alone because it is subjective.
    What I am speaking to is lag or similar type experiences. The two types of issues tend to get combined. That is another type of misinformation. I'm tired of the word misinformation. Let's call misinformation kittens from now on.
    01-20-13 05:56 PM
    I agree. Get 10 users who have tried various devices on any given platform and you know you're going to get 10 different accounts of the experience. The error is when someone assumes that their experience is what everyone who tries the platform will have. You had instances of the 99xx bricking itself, for example. You wouldn't want people going around claiming that all 99xx's, or worse, all BlackBerries in general will brick themselves, right?

For me, I try to stick with what I know. I don't make outrageous claims about operating systems I know nothing about. If I don't know about something, I'll preface it as such before I make the claim. And that's how I learn. When I'm proven wrong I don't skirt around that fact or start making other claims. I woman up to my mistakes and thank the person for teaching me something. I wish others could grant me the same courtesy. And D_March I'm in no way pointing that at you. We've had our differences and have always been able to remain respectful .
    Last edited by pantlesspenguin; 01-20-13 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Typo
    grover5, Djlatino, jakie55 and 2 others like this.
    01-20-13 06:04 PM
    I agree. Get 10 users who have tried various devices on any given platform and you know you're going to get 1 different accounts of the experience. The error is when someone assumes that their experience is what everyone who tries the platform will have. You had instances of the 99xx bricking itself, for example. You wouldn't wantpeople going around cclaiming that all 99xx's,or worse, all BlackBerries in general will brick themselves, right?

For me, I try to stick with what I know. I don't make outrageous claims about operating systems I know nothing about. If I don't know about something, I'll preface it as such before I make the claim. And that's how I learn. When I'm proven wrong I don't skirt around that fact or start making other claims. I woman up to my mistakes and thank the person for teaching me something. I wish others could grant me the same courtesy. And D_March I'm in no way pointing that at you. We'vehad our differences and have always been able to remain respectful .
    Well said PP.
    Djlatino and pantlesspenguin like this.
    01-20-13 06:15 PM
    Still getting the Z10 no matter what.
    Xperia
    uuuuumm....this looks just like a Z10. Nothing exciting apart from it's water proof.
    01-20-13 07:42 PM
    I think the hardware race the android OEMS are currently embarking on can only be of benifit to the rest of the smartphone market. Iphone releases an iteration every 12 months (Some might argue too short a time period) But regardless when they do they want to be seen as competitive on the hardware front. Same thing for everyone else. If everyone had their own independent OS and that was the difference between manufacturers, the hardware might mature at a slower rate.

Of course this is all just speculation and my opinion
    01-20-13 07:59 PM
    Sorry Bud But I Have An S3 And One Asus transformer Prime And Both Still Have Laggy And Freezes When Theres A lot of Process Runin No matter The hardware or The OS version Android Always Buggy A lot Of Times A have APPS crashin Of Even Unresponsive ,Its Only U search In the WEB even In YouuTube U will See S3 Freezin Slown S3 Whatever Android Is still An Buggy OS ....
    Okay, sorry, but:

1) I had to read this a few times to decipher what you said. Punctuation and making that apparently huge and taxing step of spelling out massive 3 letter words are your friend. Even if you had a valid point (and owning 2 different SGS3's and doing the updates on my mothers, not a single one has EVER had a lock up, freeze, app crash or slowdown unless I was running a custom ROM which can get unstable. On stock, it's reliable, stable and fast) the fact that you expressed the way you did means I can't take you seriously. Sorry.

2) There really wasn't a second point other than the English language is crying right now.

Someone who speaks a primary language that isn't English isn't generally able to butcher it with shortform textspeak as well as you do.

Back to the OP, I have wanted to give a Sony a shot for a while, the Xperia line (especially of late) has been really beautiful. I wish the OEM's would start doing the waterproofing during the assembly process, the nano tech that they could add to the assembly line can only be a plus. I know it works against them in the long run as people won't need to replace a phone after a toilet dunking as often, but people are generally flipping their phones on a more frequent basis anyway just because they can, so I don't think it would be as big a hit as we think...
    01-20-13 08:32 PM
    To all of you guys that are impressed about the waterproof part, check this out. You will be more impressed. Any phone(gadget) could be waterproof.
    BBC News - Gadgets 'made waterproof in an hour'

The phone seems nice though but it's android.
    01-20-13 08:38 PM
    Okay, sorry, but:

1) I had to read this a few times to decipher what you said. Punctuation and making that apparently huge and taxing step of spelling out massive 3 letter words are your friend. Even if you had a valid point (and owning 2 different SGS3's and doing the updates on my mothers, not a single one has EVER had a lock up, freeze, app crash or slowdown unless I was running a custom ROM which can get unstable. On stock, it's reliable, stable and fast) the fact that you expressed the way you did means I can't take you seriously. Sorry.

2) There really wasn't a second point other than the English language is crying right now.

Someone who speaks a primary language that isn't English isn't generally able to butcher it with shortform textspeak as well as you do.

Back to the OP, I have wanted to give a Sony a shot for a while, the Xperia line (especially of late) has been really beautiful. I wish the OEM's would start doing the waterproofing during the assembly process, the nano tech that they could add to the assembly line can only be a plus. I know it works against them in the long run as people won't need to replace a phone after a toilet dunking as often, but people are generally flipping their phones on a more frequent basis anyway just because they can, so I don't think it would be as big a hit as we think...
    So many personal attacks and so few attacks of substance. You should apologize.
    01-20-13 08:53 PM
    Wasn't aware that pointing out the butchering of the English language to the point of being unintelligible was a personal attack, and since I wasn't the only one who mentioned it, I find it curious you aren't demanding apologies from everyone.

Any comment on the entire back half of my post about whether OEM's should add the waterproofing nanotech to the assembly process?
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-20-13 09:08 PM
    I hate android for ruining Sony's great mobile brand.
    01-20-13 09:13 PM
    Trust me guys android is pathetic only bb will release bb10 will buy qwerty handset

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
    01-20-13 09:17 PM
    you know I am shocked that we haven't been looking at Japanese smartphones. They have been on the waterproof bandwagon for quite some time now.
    01-20-13 09:28 PM
    I hate android for ruining Sony's great mobile brand.
    Do you think they would have survived this long without Android? I know Sony have very deep pockets, but it may have even been too hard for them to stay afloat with their old OS.
    01-20-13 09:34 PM
    i still have my old Sony clie...
    works like a charm except for the battery which lasts 30-45 minutes.
    and my favourite tv remote app is still functioning now...
    amazing device..

Sent from my unsliding slider BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    01-20-13 09:36 PM
155 ... 34567