This is the same perception problem most people don't understand when they replace anything with a new model. With regular exposure the old inadequacies become normal and slow creeping degradation is accepted. New car.... quieter, no rattles, less fuel, better seats, perfect. New bed... more comfortable, perfect. New computer... faster, better display, perfect. New kids... much better behaved They also said exactly the same "perfect, great improvement" when they got the old one.
    True but I find a lot of BB owners do speak warmly of their older phones, 8300s especially and the 9700 for some. They all had nifty little features that got lost in the updates, like the browser push where if I tried to access a webpage when signal was too low or gone that Web Page would be delivered to my Inbox when back into signal. Or how accuweather used to deliver the weather link to my Inbox and many more.
    01-20-13 05:19 AM
    Cool... great display, and waterproof... (that's actually really nice). But outside of that, what's the attraction? That's the problem here with Android OEM's. They all have the SAME OS and the only thing they can do to differentiate is to work on hardware or display... not user experience. It's a shame really. Their all relying on one source to make them better as opposed to actually taking it upon themselves to innovate. I'm soooooo glad RIM didn't decide to take the easy route!!!
    I could not have stated it better myself. Too many ill informed posters including analysts believe it's all about hardware. It's not. It's the operating system. The only way Android OEM's can differentiate is to launch a harware war. Bigger screen; anything that won't fit into my trouser pocket is an inconvenoence.
    Sony's solution? A water resistant phone? That might be OK if you sit on the bog playing with your phone but with outbreaks of winter vomitting virus that probably not a great idea!
    01-20-13 06:24 AM
    Don't take this the wrong way but I've noticed a pattern where nobody talks warmly of their previous Android phone, after they get a new one all the problems of the old one come out(lag, lack of updates, gps problems, re booting etc) but if you ask them at the time it never had a problem and it was the best thing ever. Am I the only one seeing this?
    When a device is as problem laden as the Vibrant, anyone experiencing those problems wasn't saying it was the best thing ever. It had potential and people were waiting to see if the updates would fix anything...but there was just so much I could take and I got the MT4G just 3 or 4 months later.

Perception plays a big part. Think about the 9700 and 9900. After the 9900 was released, didn't you notice how much your 9700 had lagged in comparison? Likewise, sometimes you may not know how something is supposed to work until you see it done the correct way. For example, the carousel home screen effect on my Sensation. It worked, but it took a couple tries and it would stop after a couple rounds even if I was still flicking the screen. Then one day I was in sprint with a friend and started playing with an Evo 3D. I did the carousel thing and was amazed at how much more fluid it was. It was off in one light swipe and kept going as long as I was flicking the screen. It made me wonder if there were other sources of lag I wasn't recognizing in my Sensation.

ETA: Also, wouldn't the same be true for people going from 7 to 7.1 on the 99xx? I haven't exactly heard people speak fondly of 7 since upgrading to 7.1.
    Last edited by pantlesspenguin; 01-20-13 at 09:03 AM.
    01-20-13 07:18 AM
    Interesting that the promotional video states water and dust resistant.. This doesn't mean it waterproof.
    That's just covering themselves. If you say waterproof then it's an absolute and people will leave it under water for a week and then come back and say "look, it failed, you lied". "Water-resistant" removes that problem by quantifying it.
    01-20-13 07:22 AM
    Yep. And I remember the big old fat sony experia x10 that my ex had. Same bloodline. They dont stand the test of time
    Right...because companies never change or innovate their products. We can expect the same from the z10 as we could the Storm because it's the same bloodline, right? Be fair. You sound like my boss when she said she was looking to get a new phone and I mentioned that BB10 was coming out soon and will be great. She wrinkled her nose and said "Oh I'm not interested in another BlackBerry." I explained it won't be the BlackBerry she's expecting. Who's to say this new Xperia will be like its predecessors?
    Rello likes this.
    01-20-13 07:24 AM
    That's just covering themselves. If you say waterproof then it's an absolute and people will leave it under water for a week and then come back and say "look, it failed, you lied". "Water-resistant" removes that problem by quantifying it.
    Lol, do you remember when that reporter broke the "unbreakable" casio phone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcdtpIYJhMI&sns=em
    01-20-13 07:41 AM
    Unlike the video leaks of BB10, you can see what's new on the platform specially the gestures, unlike this video all i see is photo and video capability (yes in HD). I'm am expecting new innovations on this model.
    01-20-13 07:46 AM
    I could not have stated it better myself. Too many ill informed posters including analysts believe it's all about hardware. It's not. It's the operating system. The only way Android OEM's can differentiate is to launch a harware war. Bigger screen; anything that won't fit into my trouser pocket is an inconvenoence.
    Sony's solution? A water resistant phone? That might be OK if you sit on the bog playing with your phone but with outbreaks of winter vomitting virus that probably not a great idea!
    If you saw the sheer number of dead phones we have brought in daily for repair due to water damage...the way you talk the well known rice trick half of crackberry has used isn't even necessary unless the entire board "sits on the bog". I think that if this was a Z10 video, you'd think this was the bees knees.

And I've seen a Note 2 fit into a skinny jean pocket. Just saying.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by reeneebob; 01-20-13 at 10:46 AM.
    01-20-13 09:11 AM
    And it continues. Day after after after day. At some point some individuals must admit its more then just fair play of trying out all devices, and its really just blatant defending of the android platform at all costs.
    01-20-13 10:37 AM
    And it continues. Day after after after day. At some point some individuals must admit its more then just fair play of trying out all devices, and its really just blatant defending of the android platform at all costs.
    Yes. Ignore that I have in my home right now for my use webos, ios, android and bbos devices. Yep. I'm a fan girl.

It's called correcting rampant misinformation. You keep posting it, and some will keep having to correct it. If one is going to bash, at least understand what you're bashing. *RME*

kevinnugent likes this.
    01-20-13 10:45 AM
    True but I find a lot of BB owners do speak warmly of their older phones, 8300s especially and the 9700 for some. They all had nifty little features that got lost in the updates, like the browser push where if I tried to access a webpage when signal was too low or gone that Web Page would be delivered to my Inbox when back into signal. Or how accuweather used to deliver the weather link to my Inbox and many more.
    In my personal experience, for the time that it was released, the 9700 was the best smartphone I have ever owned. It is the standard I judge all subsequent phones to because I have never felt as productive as I did on that phone, and I couldn't tell you why, just liked everything about it, including the ability to do everything with one hand when I had to. Connected to everything seemlessly no matter where I was, and there were times I was "nowhere" and that phone still worked when others didn't.

If you get the opportunity, I saw the screen for what is supposed to be the next GSIV watching "The Tech Guy" yesterday. If you can find it take a look - folks won't be saying Samsung doesn't innovate for much longer...
    01-20-13 10:55 AM
    Yes. Ignore that I have in my home right now for my use webos, ios, android and bbos devices. Yep. I'm a fan girl.

It's called correcting rampant misinformation. You keep posting it, and some will keep having to correct it. If one is going to bash, at least understand what you're bashing. *RME*

And I have here an iPad 3, iMac 27",ipods,android 10" tablet built into my treadmill, windows computers, and blackberry stuff. I can do pictures of the items with my blackberry in it like the watch thread if you doubt I have it/have experience with it. It appears I have just debunked the implied fanboy accusation. Uh oh!!!

I said that android is essentially the same generic system under the skin for the android devices currently being sold. No kidding they aren't all exactly the same. Blackberry has os6 and os7, they aren't all the same either. So you are denying that android is essentially the same on devices being sold? Hmmm
    01-20-13 11:00 AM

Agreed. Once the misinformation and double standards stop, the discussions of other platforms will stop. But one thing obviously needs to happen before the other.
    reeneebob and darkehawke like this.
    01-20-13 11:01 AM
    I said that android is essentially the same generic system under the skin for the android devices currently being sold. No kidding they aren't all exactly the same. Blackberry has os6 and os7, they aren't all the same either. So you are denying that android is essentially the same on devices being sold? Hmmm
    You seem to be downplaying the skin an awful lot. Both the OEM skin and the version of Android (JB, ICS, Gingerbread, etc) play a huge role in the user experience. The only thing that's the same on all android devices is basically the icon grid and the notification tray. The skin and Android version determine the content and functions of those and everything else. Take Q for example. She stopped with the anti-Android rhetoric and tried the Atrix out for herself. She thought she hated it until someone (Rickroller, I believe) pointed out that everything she said she hated about it was regarding Motoblur, and not Android. She froze Motoblur, slapped on a different launcher, and it was a whole new animal. "Generic Android" seems to be an oxymoron due to all the ways you can customize it.

Now, with that said. I'm here on CB because I'm excited for BB10. I've been excited for BB10 for...well, years technically. But it's really difficult to be here these days with all the needless mudslinging. You can't just bait someone into correcting mistakes and then cry foul that all we want to do is talk about Android. That's not fair.
    kevinnugent, reeneebob and Drew808 like this.
    01-20-13 11:19 AM
    One thing I am getting kind of tired of is comparing every new device or OS to BB10 and asking how it will affect BB10 sales. Anything anyone could say about it right now is pure speculation. BB10 hasn't even been unveiled yet, and these new devices we see are just leaks and will be released further out than BB10 will. Sure, keeping informed of new tech is fun, but why think that everything coming out will be a direct threat to BB10? If anything this Xperia Z will be a threat to the SGS4.
    01-20-13 11:33 AM
    Its Watter Proof But It will LAggy And Freeze Proof Too ? ahahah
    never minds The Hardware Specs It Still Have The Same Laggy And Buggy OS on It ... so ?
    01-20-13 11:44 AM
    The only OEM i ever hear speak about software to differentiate their device is Samsung, everyone else just tells you they have the next best specs and that's about it...What are some SONY exclusive features?? To me, that's why Samsung is winning in the android race because they have software features in addition to their skin. They didn't mention anything about their android features in this video
    01-20-13 11:48 AM
    never minds The Hardware Specs It Still Have The Same Laggy And Buggy OS on It ... so ?
    Yes. This is so factually correct. /sarcasm

01-20-13 12:13 PM
    eh you can pay 70$ to get your entire phone waterproof. rather do that and run BB10 then keep using Android t[-.-] I hate android i cant wait to drop it for BB10!
    01-20-13 12:15 PM
    Actually a lot of what makes up the UI in Android is the skin. Compare devices with vanilla Android, HTC Sense, and Samsung Touchwiz and you'll see how different Android can look and act. The skin affects the stock browser, stock email client, stock calendar, stock widgets, extra functions available in the notification tray and app drawer, etc. I've never used a Sony Android device so I'm not sure what its UI is like.
    Their skinning is fairly lightweight, aesthetically pleasing, and high performance.

But the person you quoted is ignorant of the advances Sony has made in their Screen and Camera Tech, among other things. The camera in those phones are some of the best on the market in a smartphone, if not the best ever - even those just released or announced (other than maybe the Lumia 920, N8, and PureView). The Samples speak for themselves. Their camera software with its Intelligent Auto (taken from their point and shoot cameras) is also incredibly well-developed. Their screen tech is top notch. Their media players are also very well-developed, and Sony supports their devices rather well these days (since digesting that business from Erickson), so I feel much more comfortable going with them than RIM these days (even if both ran BB10, I'd pick the Sony over the RIM device because RIM hasn't shown it is willing to support their devices over the long term with MAJOR software updates, like ... ever)..

There's a lot of innovation here, and the Blackberry's specs are a bit late give where the market is moving these days, but it is what it is. Personally I won't buy a 1st gen BB10 device. I need to know what the ecosystem will look like in a year or more from now to really see if it's worth it. I might get the Xperia Z, though... It's worth it just for the camera, IMO.

The only thing I like better about the Blackberry 10 device is the size.

Also, taking so damn long to get it out the door has really made me disinterested in BB10. It's like the Playbook all over again. They raved about it so much and tried to hype it so badly that waiting for it has bored me to tears and I almost don't even want to her about it at this point.
    01-20-13 12:42 PM
    There hasn't been a laggy high end Android device since at least mid-late 2011, and that includes those initially released with Gingerbread like the GS2/Skyrocket, Vivid, Amaze 4G, Rezound, etc.

Pantech just released a $50 mid-range device with specs exceeding this "flagship" BB device in many areas, and it doesn't lag, either...

And I'm not sure why anyone would try to lambast Android for being laggy when RIM's entire current line-up underperforms.

Didn't people also rave about how (EDIT: Playbook OS's) QNX's micro-kernel architecture (laughs) would blow Android away before it released and had a ton of performance issues, as well. I'd hold my breath, if I were you.
    Rello and Drew808 like this.
    01-20-13 12:47 PM
    But the quality of the actual phone is what matters..... right? I mean that's been our excuse for the past years with our blackberrys, I'm sure others will do the same with the Xperia Z, after all, a lot of people don't mind android.

On a smaller note, funny how they're also calling it the "Z". Since when did this "Z" come into account with naming phones, it used to be "X" :P
    Sony have been using the letter designations a while now.
    your comment should read its funny how blackberry are also using letters, especially as the first sony ericcson flagship android phone was the x10
    01-20-13 12:50 PM
    Why wouldn't someone debunk myths and errors about something one uses???
    If the misinformation would stop there would be no need to correct.
    Like the absolutely ridiculous Android is dead thread. Really think that wasn't going to get what it got? Unless the intent WAS provocation.

Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    randall2580 likes this.
    01-20-13 12:50 PM
    One thing I am getting kind of tired of is comparing every new device or OS to BB10 and asking how it will affect BB10 sales. Anything anyone could say about it right now is pure speculation. BB10 hasn't even been unveiled yet, and these new devices we see are just leaks and will be released further out than BB10 will. Sure, keeping informed of new tech is fun, but why think that everything coming out will be a direct threat to BB10? If anything this Xperia Z will be a threat to the SGS4.
    It's because the BB10 devices won't be out before February and if the Z releases 2-3 months later and people find it attractive it does heighten their chances of NOT buying a BB10 device and waiting for the Z, or the GS4, or HTC's new flagship, or a new Nexus, etc. That's how it works. Not everyone buys on impulse, and while some people like to stay informed, it doesn't mean their necessarily waiting for it to hit the shelves to instantly buy it.

Also, some people may still be on contract and by the time they can upgrade both phones may be on the market. Because of the nature of the Android ecosystem, there's a chance the Z may even cost less on contract than the high end BB10 devices, which can eat into their sales further.

Why would I buy this BB10 device for $200 when I can get an HTC One X on the same carrier for $50 on contract, for example, for basically the same spec configuration running a proven platform/ecosystem? Those are the types of questions an informed customer asks themselves before making a purchase. All platforms have their fanatics that will buy whatever the company puts out. Some just have more than others. Oh well.
    01-20-13 12:53 PM
    on another note. the sony xperia Z looks like a pretty good phone.
    i see there are still stupid people in these forums claiming android as laggy and buggy. wish they would do some research before commenting on things they clearly have no clue about. as if android will fall this year. clueless fools
    still it looks like there will be a lot of choice for consumers this year. new iphone, new s4, the xperia z, new blackberries.
    variety is the spice of life, this can only be a good thing
    kevinnugent likes this.
    01-20-13 12:54 PM
155 12345 ...