03-01-11 03:34 PM
50 12
tools
    Flash is so over rated. I don't want it on any device. Not even the Playbook but it looks like the whole damn UI is flash...
    02-21-11 09:24 PM
    Flash is so over rated. I don't want it on any device. Not even the Playbook but it looks like the whole damn UI is flash...
    lmao yeah the PB is consentrated on adobe air and some flash.
    02-21-11 11:14 PM
    AFAIK not yet, software update

i can see the logic behind that, although surely having 10.1 initally then doing a software upgrade (say at the same time as the 4G upgrade so both can be done in the swap) would be far better from a saleability point for inital launch, especially when you burden your device with a comparitively high price point leaving whats a core differentiator out (wether it be for a month or whatever) isnt a good idea

unless the truth is that honeycomb doesnt play nicely with 10.1 (in which case they shouldnt of announced it). thats the only other logic, because dual core isnt a factor
    one thing i am curious about is where the hangup occurred. I know in the official promo material it mentioned flash but it was 10.1 i think. so who dropped the ball here in getting 10.2 on the device and leaving 10.1 off, adobe or google i wonder
    02-21-11 11:15 PM
    They just wanted to release before ipad2, playbook, etc. but it might be smart marketing, who knows? At least get it out there and promise flash and people will purchase based on its specs.

While I think it should have been released with Flash, I also believe it won't tank either.

Then again, many college students need flash and more are using tablets as their laptop. I guess it is just in time for the spring semester for some.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-21-11 11:52 PM
    I am curious to see what all the android supporters will say now. They have been comparing it to the playbook all along. Now that is a plus on the PB's side. I am still curious to see what Honeycomb brings to the market.
    You can see what they're going to say nothing. Hence why none of the usual suspects have posted. But you better believe if it was just announced that the PlayBook was shipping without Flash support they'd be in here(would have already been in here hours ago) dogging out the PlayBook. Typical but not surprising...
    There's really nothing to say. So Flash 10.2 will be available for it a couple/few weeks after the Xoom is released, not a big deal. It'll still be an Android Tablet with Flash on it by the time the Playbook even hits the market, so it's a non-issue. If on the other hand the Xoom simply couldn't ever support flash... well then that would be something to note.
    Last edited by rmjones101; 02-22-11 at 03:00 AM.
    02-22-11 02:53 AM
    There's really nothing to say. So Flash 10.2 will be available for it a couple/few weeks after the Xoom is released, not a big deal. It'll still be an Android Tablet with Flash on it by the time the Playbook even hits the market, so it's a non-issue. If on the other hand the Xoom simply couldn't ever support flash... well then that would be something to note.
    Weird how so many keep jumping on Rim for their q1 date and are happy to translate the even more vague spring '11 into it will arrive in a couple of weeks and to assume that this is just a 10.1/10.2 problem as well.
    02-22-11 05:02 AM
    They just wanted to release before ipad2, playbook, etc. but it might be smart marketing, who knows? At least get it out there and promise flash and people will purchase based on its specs.

While I think it should have been released with Flash, I also believe it won't tank either.
    oh i dont think it`ll tank, but they have set themselves up for some consumer `hurt`. look at it this way, i was at the superbowl, i was wowed by the advert, so i went online, checked it all out and said `yup, i want` so it comes out and i go straight to the store, iv not seen this mention of 10.1 not being installed, because i read the `full` specs after the superbowl. now its changed from what they spent a shedload advertising and i think that some people who dont read blogs/webnews so much are gonna be disapointed and return it.
    02-22-11 06:48 AM
    I just get a chuckle about the silence from all the usual suspects who love to dump on the PB. The noise from the crickets is deafening....
    valorian and homer1475 like this.
    02-22-11 07:12 AM
    I just get a chuckle about the silence from all the usual suspects who love to dump on the PB. The noise from the crickets is deafening....
    I hope a few people do return them, I love the price of open box items at BB. Looks like a win, win to me.
    02-22-11 08:20 AM
    So in other words, "The Xoom will support Flash after the PlayBook is launched."
    02-22-11 10:36 AM
    02-22-11 11:05 AM
    Who cares..... I'm getting an iPad 2 anyway

But in seriousness, I like Android but too many of the products seem rushed to the market or unfinished/raw. The OS is very powerful and has much potential but I couldn't sit around and spend hours everyday trying to figure out the potential and get devices where updates take too long to come. I really don't see any good reason why this device wouldn't have flash at launch. You can't pride yourself as being the OS that does everything without "limitations" and then do an Apple and release something without features to be updated at a later date. But I'm not disappointed because I wasn't interested anyway.
    02-22-11 12:20 PM
    Weird how so many keep jumping on Rim for their q1 date and are happy to translate the even more vague spring '11 into it will arrive in a couple of weeks and to assume that this is just a 10.1/10.2 problem as well.
    Except that in this particular instance, it has been confirmed by Adobe that Flash actually will be an auto-update within 2-3 weeks of the Xoom's launch. They didn't give a vague "Sometime in <insert annual-quarter here>" statement.

So in other words, "The Xoom will support Flash after the PlayBook is launched."
    No... it will be available before. I think you read it wrong.
    02-22-11 12:28 PM
    Except that in this particular instance, it has been confirmed by Adobe that Flash actually will be an auto-update within 2-3 weeks of the Xoom's launch. They didn't give a vague "Sometime in <insert annual-quarter here>" statement.

No... it will be available before. I think you read it wrong.
    I think Spring 2011 was the language being used in the article.

I just don't see how it's ok for one company, Motorola, to say Spring 2011 (March 20 - June 20) but it is not ok for another company, RIM, to say Q1 (January 1 - March 31).
    Both companies are basically saying, "you will get what you want within this period of ~90 days."
    Last edited by Steve Rizla; 02-22-11 at 01:03 PM.
    02-22-11 12:49 PM
    I can read just fine.

Sounds like an excuse to me.
    Enjoy the iPhone
    So it is an excuse because I don't care about it? I've had flash on my smartphone for over a year now. It is not that big of a deal. It may be a big deal to you because RIM is finally releasing something that supports it.

I don't want a tablet either, so if I say I don't care about it, is that an excuse as well?

And I am enjoying the iPhone, thanks. Your sarcasm is pointless.
    Last edited by avt123; 02-22-11 at 03:19 PM.
    02-22-11 03:15 PM
    I think Spring 2011 was the language being used in the article.

I just don't see how it's ok for one company, Motorola, to say Spring 2011 (March 20 - June 20) but it is not ok for another company, RIM, to say Q1 (January 1 - March 31).
    Both companies are basically saying, "you will get what you want within this period of ~90 days."
    Spring 2011 was initially being thrown around..but in the article Adobe says it will be available "within a few weeks" Update for Flash Player 10.2 Support on Tablets (Adobe Flash Platform Blog)

RIM has been saying Q1 for the release of a device..whereas Moto is saying a feature will be available not necessarily at launch..but within weeks. Two seperate things imo..

Everyone's on RIM because this is what RIM has been famous for lately..stalling launches and unable to get things out in a timely fashion..to the point where people lose interest. The Xoom was shown for the first time (i think) at CES..and is being launched this month..whereas PB has been touted since September..and is still a month or more away from launch. Sure..its great if RIM's making sure it's great for release time..but people get tired of waiting.

Whether the Xoom has flash or not on launch won't be a deal breaker to most who were going to buy it anyways..the initial price would be what would keep most consumers away. For me personally..I will be getting a tablet (mostly just to have one..don't really need it for anything)..and I will check out the Xoom..but I think i'll be trusting CX on this one when he says the PB is hands above better than anything else. Hopefully RIM won't disappoint me on this one
    02-22-11 04:57 PM
    Spring 2011 was initially being thrown around..but in the article Adobe says it will be available "within a few weeks" Update for Flash Player 10.2 Support on Tablets (Adobe Flash Platform Blog)

RIM has been saying Q1 for the release of a device..whereas Moto is saying a feature will be available not necessarily at launch..but within weeks. Two seperate things imo..

Everyone's on RIM because this is what RIM has been famous for lately..stalling launches and unable to get things out in a timely fashion..to the point where people lose interest. The Xoom was shown for the first time (i think) at CES..and is being launched this month..whereas PB has been touted since September..and is still a month or more away from launch. Sure..its great if RIM's making sure it's great for release time..but people get tired of waiting.

Whether the Xoom has flash or not on launch won't be a deal breaker to most who were going to buy it anyways..the initial price would be what would keep most consumers away. For me personally..I will be getting a tablet (mostly just to have one..don't really need it for anything)..and I will check out the Xoom..but I think i'll be trusting CX on this one when he says the PB is hands above better than anything else. Hopefully RIM won't disappoint me on this one
    funny that you are comparing RIM with a sweatshop like Motorola who is rushing an utterly incomplete product(half baked SD card integration, 4G tablet but with 3G antenna, not even flash 10.1) with fear of getting beaten up by 100 other Android sweatshops. We need to understand RIM is building a brand new platform with the playbook and they need to announce it ahead time to gain developer traction and consumer interest. They are rather playing it very well(their stock gained more than 60% since they announced playbook) and by looking how the Playbook has shaped up I have no problems in waiting for some more time. If they hadn't have announced on Sept 27th I would have long bought the iPad and I am glad they had announced it.
    Last edited by sf49ers; 02-22-11 at 08:50 PM.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    02-22-11 07:28 PM
    I get it. I will agree that RIM has been behind as of late and has a history of poorly launched products. But let's not forget the title of this thread. Which is the Xoom ships without flash support. While some will write it off as no big deal, they can wait, the bottom line is Motorola promised "The full web". That my friends includes flash support. So yes it's a big deal they're not delivering on what they promised. It just goes to show all manufacturers have their problems.
    02-22-11 08:32 PM
    anyone find out any info on why the delay?
    02-23-11 12:59 AM
    anyone find out any info on why the delay?
    Nope, I've been looking around the internet but so far found nothing.
    02-23-11 07:38 AM
    funny that you are comparing RIM with a sweatshop like Motorola who is rushing an utterly incomplete product with fear of getting beaten up by 100 other Android sweatshops.
    According to this survey its not Moto or Android thats running the worst sweatshops..so I'm not sure what that has to do with anything..

http://forums.crackberry.com/f40/rim...-again-587789/
    Last edited by Rickroller; 02-23-11 at 08:54 AM.
    02-23-11 08:49 AM
    This will make the Android community happy.

Motorola Xoom to feature unlockable bootloader | TG Daily
    02-23-11 11:33 AM
    The BB faithful in the thread keep saying where are all the PB haters. I have yet to see much Playbook hate. I think the device looks great. I have seen posts stating that until it is a real device on sale many things are speculative, such as QNX being the best tablet OS ever. That one remains to be seen but things look quite promising. I am still bummed about the initial need to tether, which rules me out. I think that part sucks.

I do see a lot of BB hate or disappointment on Crackberry. I also see expressed disappointment that BB fanboys then turn into huge arguments or polarized views, a lot. It also goes the other direction. I am tired of getting attacked because I don't love all things RIM. I do get tired of people that only attack RIM as well. It is sad.

In regards to the Xoom and Honeycomb, I think they both look to have great potential, just like the PB. My guess is Motorola rushed out the Xoom to beat the other competitors with half done software. Not supporting Flash and the SD card slot out of the gate is embarrassing. Honeycomb is no doubt new, but it looks intriguing to me.

In regards to price, $600 for a WiFi 32GB, 10" tablet is competitive with the iPad and Galaxy tab. The $800 price for the 4G, or soon to be 4G, version seems quite high. I think all of these tablets prices are subject to change in the first few years anyway. Things will probably decrease quickly.
    Last edited by dbw1000; 02-23-11 at 04:37 PM.
    02-23-11 11:58 AM
    Its true they are rushing this tablet out the door because the ipad2 is just around the corner And they are not the only android tablet shipped with honeycomb. I just saw an article honeycomb barely got released officially to developers.

So Motorola is trying to beat ipad2 lg and Samsung to the punch. Consumers are ready to purchase right now for those that waited and want an alternative other than apple. For me its either the three tablets. Lg, Samsung, or the xoom wifi version. I will have to wait a little longer since they want to sell the tablets with 3/4g radios first.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-23-11 02:00 PM
    The next update for Gingerbeard will have Flash support. Its a smart move. One can also speculate as to Flash being the delay for the Playbook. It's not Google nor RIM who magically adds Flash. It's Adobe who has to redevelop flash in a way so that it plays nice on all these new OS' and versions. Adobe has been promising flash to every single device that comes out cause they know its to there benefit.
    03-01-11 03:34 PM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD