Greetings folks, I have a question ref IMAP Gmail and /bis. I know, yes, I've refused the merge since IMAPs inception, but I guess I can't fight it anylonger, so I'm trying the merge.

Is it slower than POP? How much slower?

The instructions in Gmails own FAQ -> imap -> blackberry aren't very comprehensive. All they say is log in and set up your account. Which is the same as what was always done.

Someone told me that if you enter the email address WITHOUT PWD, and click next, you get another series of menus where you can manually set up the account. (Though I can't find this set of instructions anywhere, anybody know where they are located??)

I've tried both methods and both 'seem' to be setting up imap poperly regardless. Does this mean you can't set up POP anymore??

I receive an email. I read it on the BB, it updates (though not nearly as fast as I have the patience to wait out before clicking [inbox] on the browser ) on the server. So..what's the difference?

Follow-up Questions:
    What does 'sync deleted items' do? I don't really understand this? I tried it with it enabled and disabled. Neither time does any email become deleted if I delete it on the BB. I've also tried forcing a reconcile, but still won't be deleted. I've also tried deleting FROM server...and FROM device., neither reconciles with the other. I also enabled 'delete on mailbox and server'., doesn't help.

If the img isn't displaying like it isn't for me now (Yfrog - lambo133km.jpg)

What does reconcile do? (Do you need to configure anything else to get this working?) This is pretty self-explanatory to me, but I tried deleting an email and then waiting....then gave up and manually did reconcile now., but the server still showed the email. Do you need to set up the above 'sync deleted items' thing for it to work?

How do the 'on handheld/on both/on server' options for email come into play? It almost seems that some of these over-lap in functionality.

Would really appreicate some expert definitive explanations please . I want to be an Uber Eliteist, a-la-Gmail-IMAP
    07-19-09 08:35 PM
    Going once,
    07-20-09 08:33 PM
    Last call.

Gotta be someone that can shed a light or twoooo.
    07-29-09 09:40 PM
    Mine works fine, the push is literally withing a few seconds. When I go to delete something I get the pop up that asks to delete on handheld or delete on handheld and server. If I select the later it is gone from the server. I don't have time right now but if you don't get a reply here shoot me a PM and I'll take a look at my gmail settings and see if I can find where you went astray. I am not sure what guide I used to set it up as I did it ages ago trying to get it to work with my old Diamond. I still haven't figured out what reconcile does.
    07-29-09 10:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD