RIMs ads and what they say always have me shaking my head, because they say they are targeting business users, but it seems more like a cop out because they can't seem to draw consumers in. Their commercials don't seem to cater to business but more to the avg consumer, but they aren't pulling in enough according to the media (and some earnings reports).
    10-03-11 01:29 AM
    RIM's ads tell a different story from who they say they are targeting which is pretty clear. Like the PlayBook for instance was said to be targeting the business community but when you look at the commercial, it definitely seems to be targeting avg consumers.
    10-03-11 01:31 AM
    RIM's ads tell a different story from who they say they are targeting which is pretty clear. Like the PlayBook for instance was said to be targeting the business community but when you look at the commercial, it definitely seems to be targeting avg consumers.
    RIM is ******** with their Adds, and even as a Business device which is my primary use for the PlayBook it comes up lacking in many ways. of which I have written to RIM, on both their business blogs, and via email, because Documents to go on the BlackBerry is fantastic!! on the PlayBook it sucks!

RIM did NOT launch the PlayBook well, they have ZERO idea of advertising, seriously every ad talks about bloody flash!, ya it's great to have, but really it has only helped me maybe a total of 10 hours of Business since getting it by having flash support for customers websites, I didn't buy it for flash, and I don't think many people would, it has so much to offer and they aren't even showing it!!

RIM's North American ad agency is STUPID!
    10-03-11 07:16 AM
    the iPad is limited by it's hardware completely as it has more app support than anything, the hardware is pretty, and well built, but it is grossly under powered compared to rivals,
    The same arguments were made about the Nintendo Entertainment System and the VHS VCR.

the PlayBook has the most potential ( Windows 8 maybe has more...)
    I read this a lot on these boards. "Well, the PlayBook has potential." A lot of things have potential, much of which is never realized. If RIM drops another 60% in sequential quarterly shipment volume, all that "potential" will be meaningless when they kill the device.

The iPad, and arguably all iOS products ONLY have their large App library going for them,
    Oh come on now. You know better than this.

everyone else is making more versatile hardware products, and should they get a sizable fraction of iOS app support they will be formidable competitors,
    How are those "more versatile hardware products" working out for them? The Xoom flopped. Honeycomb tablets have flopped so far. 200K PlayBooks shipped in its first full quarter makes it a flop. Now this argument is being made about the Kindle Fire. And so it goes.

not that I think Any tablet in the next 3 years will topple the iPad in sales, I don't think it has much longer as the best tablet due to apps, because more apps are gonna get ported to other systems.
    They'll only get ported to other systems if there's some business advantage. It's why, 6 months in, the PlayBook still has less than 4K apps, while the iPad hit 10K apps in just 2 months. It's why App World has less than 40K apps after 2 years, which is less than WP7's store, even though the WP7 store has been open less than a year and lacks BB subscribers. Tablets as a market may well take off, but there's no reason to believe the PlayBook will be along for the ride. The unit sales just aren't there.

RIM did NOT launch the PlayBook well, they have ZERO idea of advertising, seriously every ad talks about bloody flash!, ya it's great to have, but really it has only helped me maybe a total of 10 hours of Business since getting it by having flash support for customers websites, I didn't buy it for flash, and I don't think many people would, it has so much to offer and they aren't even showing it!!

RIM's North American ad agency is STUPID!
    So in addition to the flawed PlayBook launch, RIM can't choose a decent ad agency? Is it any wonder they're struggling now that they'e moved beyond phones? The company doesn't seem prepared to put its best foot forward. IT people will do their own research, but consumers don't care to go hunting for the basics on a product, and the fact that most of them don't even seem to be aware the PlayBook exists doesn't help. For those people, OS 2.0 is meaningless, as are price cuts (unless you get down to $99).
    10-03-11 08:43 AM
    I read this a lot on these boards. "Well, the PlayBook has potential." A lot of things have potential, much of which is never realized. If RIM drops another 60% in sequential quarterly shipment volume, all that "potential" will be meaningless when they kill the device.
    Agreed!
    The PlayBook isn't a success yet, the potential could never be realized, or they could finally get their heads out of their butts, and learn how to market it,

Oh come on now. You know better than this.
    I MEAN it fully
    I feel Samsung does a MUCH better job at producing hardware than Apple does.
    Apple just has their ecosystem

How are those "more versatile hardware products" working out for them? The Xoom flopped. Honeycomb tablets have flopped so far. 200K PlayBooks shipped in its first full quarter makes it a flop. Now this argument is being made about the Kindle Fire. And so it goes.
    They are all competing with eachother in a Market that was first populated by the iPad, as I believe I said in this thread, maybe another that I believe the iPad will remain dominate for a few more years because of it's first to market, and most marketing. I'm not trying to paint a picture of success for the others, I'm just looking forward saying that as the App argument becomes less, Apple needs more than just apps

They'll only get ported to other systems if there's some business advantage. It's why, 6 months in, the PlayBook still has less than 4K apps, while the iPad hit 10K apps in just 2 months. It's why App World has less than 40K apps after 2 years, which is less than WP7's store, even though the WP7 store has been open less than a year and lacks BB subscribers. Tablets as a market may well take off, but there's no reason to believe the PlayBook will be along for the ride. The unit sales just aren't there.
    Part of the Reason the PlayBook has so few Apps is because RIM was stupid enough to never put out a Native SDK, which STILL is not out, Apple was much smarter here, it isn't volume of devices that is the issue for App developers and RIM, it VERY MUCH is the issue that RIM doesn't yet know how to make tools for developers, and the horrible Java environment for BBOS was not App friendly, They CAN change that, they are trying, though we'll see with the PlayBook SDK/IDE if they managed

So in addition to the flawed PlayBook launch, RIM can't choose a decent ad agency? Is it any wonder they're struggling now that they'e moved beyond phones? The company doesn't seem prepared to put its best foot forward. IT people will do their own research, but consumers don't care to go hunting for the basics on a product, and the fact that most of them don't even seem to be aware the PlayBook exists doesn't help. For those people, OS 2.0 is meaningless, as are price cuts (unless you get down to $99).
    Oh RIM has more failures IMO than just a flawed PlayBook Launch, and crappy ad agency in North America (Their UK ad agency is beautiful FYI)
    RIM's VP structure is BAD, well arguably their CEO structure is also bad, but thats a different topic,
    I agree OS2 is meaningless without RIM getting it's head out from it's rear with adversing who the F cares about Flash to make it a critical buying choice? It's a perk, not a feature, and yet that is All RIM in its limited ad's talk about.
    10-03-11 09:02 AM
    Actually, the iPad does 1000x more than the PB does - especially for business users. You can spin it all you want, but the iPad's apps help it do more than the PB ever will. But don't let the truth and reality prevent any spinning of the PB's shortcomings.
    Okay you win. The iPad does more. Satisfied?

Because the iPads email handling is superb I'm using webmail not the native email app.
    10-03-11 01:44 PM
81 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD