As the title states, I am writing an article for the technology section of the school newspaper and this month I chose to write about BlackBerry. I would like to see the feedback of the CrackBerry community. Also, if there are any ideas or ways to make the article better they would be greatly appreciated.

Here is what I have so far ;
    "In a world dominated by iPhones and Androids, is there a third place for what once was the King? BlackBerry is fighting for a place in the mobile world with its newly released BlackBerry 10.
    I remember walking around the halls and everyone was on their BlackBerry, but now it�s once in a blue moon you see one. In its last attempt, BlackBerry is coming in hard with features and a user experience that�s unlike any other. A whole new BBM with video chat and screen sharing, a gesture based operating system, big name apps, best in class onscreen keyboard, and a Time Shift camera that allows you to choose the perfect moment. After surveying 100 people in Fordson, 76% would switch back to BlackBerry after showing them demo videos about the Z10 and some even asked when they will be available so they can go and buy one. This is what BlackBerry needs and its what BlackBerry has, a legacy, that�s what differs it from Windows Phone which unfortunately no one know what that even is�"

Thank you.
    02-16-13 05:10 PM
    _ 'BB is fighting to reacquire its earlier place at the top...'

_rework the last line ...make it more generic why mention it if no one even knows it exists !
    ".... differs it from other industry product providers.." ?

_ have ya tried to acquire a quote from either TH himself or at least their media dept. ...if doable, if even before your deadline.

_ location usofa ? if not, people surveyed live on diet of video games, reality shows, appletv ? ....not to know BBZ10 is already being rolled out outside the continental usa .... appropriately the reverse of the fruit tree product

good luck with your assignment.
    Last edited by Cracklen; 02-16-13 at 06:51 PM.
    02-16-13 06:32 PM
    Dont forget QNX

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    02-16-13 06:38 PM
    _rework the last line ...make it more generic why mention it if no one even knows it exists !
    ".... differs it from other industry product providers.." ?

_ have ya tried to acquire a quote from either TH himself or at least their media dept. ...if doable before your deadline.

good luck with this
    That's the exact line I was skeptical about. And I was thinking about including a Thorstrn Heins quote that shows the potential of BB10 like when he said "BlackBerry 10 is for the socially hyper connected"
    02-16-13 06:48 PM
    Dont forget QNX

I would, but I don't want to confuse them.
    02-16-13 06:49 PM
    The QNX Neutrino RTOS is what makes BlackBerry 10... a BlackBerry 10! It's like mapping the human body and leaving out the heart!
    02-16-13 06:52 PM
    The QNX Neutrino RTOS is what makes BlackBerry 10... a BlackBerry 10! It's like mapping the human body and leaving out the heart!
    Let's just say the students aren't as tech obsessed as me and the rest of crackberry, I have dumb it down a bit. If I included that they'd be lost..
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    02-16-13 07:41 PM
    Needs to focus on 2 things. It needs these specifically and nothing more.

Explain the new features. Go into detal about the camera, the hub and general interface, the keyboard.

Dispell myths about apps and the like.
    02-16-13 08:58 PM
    Be very clear that Blackberry 10 is an entirely different platform and that experiences with previous BB phones cannot be used to judge BB10. Not one single line of code from the old platform made it onto the new one.

Good luck with your article
    HKain7 likes this.
    02-16-13 09:58 PM
    Let's just say the students aren't as tech obsessed as me and the rest of crackberry, I have dumb it down a bit. If I included that they'd be lost..
    Exactly, ignore this advice and write about what is cool and interesting for you.
    Timeshift? The keyboard? Hub? Whatever, it doesn't matter. Just write what you want to write and edit from there.

People don't care about specs, firmware, or app count. They care about the impact that the device has on their lives.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    HKain7 likes this.
    02-16-13 10:30 PM
    I think you should demo sideloading. Show them screens and whatever info is needed to get Google Maps loaded onto a Z10.
    02-16-13 10:36 PM
    Needs to focus on 2 things. It needs these specifically and nothing more.

Explain the new features. Go into detal about the camera, the hub and general interface, the keyboard.

Dispell myths about apps and the like.
    Thanks for the advice, people were interested a lot in the camera so I'm thinking about going into detail and showing a demo.

Be very clear that Blackberry 10 is an entirely different platform and that experiences with previous BB phones cannot be used to judge BB10. Not one single line of code from the old platform made it onto the new one.

Good luck with your article
    You're right, I need to stress that it has nothing to do with the old BlackBerrys. Thank you.

Exactly, ignore this advice and write about what is cool and interesting for you.
    Timeshift? The keyboard? Hub? Whatever, it doesn't matter. Just write what you want to write and edit from there.

People don't care about specs, firmware, or app count. They care about the impact that the device has on their lives.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    Appreciate the motivation and advice. You're right about the specs and firmware. They want to know what the phone can do. Not how and what makes it do that.
    02-16-13 10:50 PM
    I think you should demo sideloading. Show them screens and whatever info is needed to get Google Maps loaded onto a Z10.
    The average person isn't going to know what side loading is. All they care about is twitter instagram and Facebook. Hopefully instagram will be here at the US launch.
    02-16-13 10:52 PM
    The average person isn't going to know what side loading is. All they care about is twitter instagram and Facebook. Hopefully instagram will be here at the US launch.
    It is obvious that you "get it", you don't really need more direction. At this point I would recommend just posting your final article here for editing purposes so we can help you with the basics.
    HKain7 likes this.
    02-16-13 11:48 PM
    Dont forget QNX

...what dhat ? BB hire some grass roots rapper as commericial/ad producer, or maybe another 'creative director' ...... so they may say. imho.
    02-17-13 03:01 PM
    It reads a bit more like an advertising piece than factual article. What kind of article is it supposed to be?
    02-17-13 03:09 PM
    It also means nothing to the average user and to go into it would be to bore them
    02-17-13 03:26 PM
    agreed. sideloading is not a feature for the general consumer. Its a chore and 1 they will think they shouldnt have to do
    02-17-13 03:27 PM
    What I would suggest is to focus on one plot or more specifically a certain vision of what BlackBerry is envisioning itself as to where this company see itself in this ever evolving landscape in the near future. Right now it has developed a new OS from scratch rather than simply stripping down an existing desktop OS to use as a mobile OS. This is what differentiates Blackberry 10 OS from the competing mobile operating systems. See BlackBerry eyes future beyond its new line of devices | Reuters

In this article Thorsten Heins states "The architecture we have built is true mobile computing architecture. It's not a downgraded PC operating system. It is a whole new innovation built from scratch. It's built for mobile."

While speaking at the Empire Club of Canada on Tuesday, Heins reiterated his message: "BlackBerry 10 is not just a device. It is a whole new mobile computing platform," he said."

IMO 'innovation' and 'mobile computing' are now the buzz words at BlackBerry! The sky's the limit in this new exciting OS! Innovation! We haven't seen innovation in the mobile smartphone industry in a while as it had stalled or more accurately it had plateaued out basically. Admittedly this plateauing is based upon my anecdotal observations but still I myself have the last while been rather meh about it. Not anymore!

Good luck with your assignment HKain7!
    HKain7 likes this.
    02-17-13 03:56 PM
    It reads a bit more like an advertising piece than factual article. What kind of article is it supposed to be?
    It's an informational article, to enlighten the readers about the newest tech in the month that passed.

What I would suggest is to focus on one plot or more specifically a certain vision of what BlackBerry is envisioning itself as to where this company see itself in this ever evolving landscape in the near future. Right now it has developed a new OS from scratch rather than simply stripping down an existing desktop OS to use as a mobile OS. This is what differentiates Blackberry 10 OS from the competing mobile operating systems. See BlackBerry eyes future beyond its new line of devices | Reuters

In this article Thorsten Heins states "The architecture we have built is true mobile computing architecture. It's not a downgraded PC operating system. It is a whole new innovation built from scratch. It's built for mobile."

While speaking at the Empire Club of Canada on Tuesday, Heins reiterated his message: "BlackBerry 10 is not just a device. It is a whole new mobile computing platform," he said."

IMO 'innovation' and 'mobile computing' are now the buzz words at BlackBerry! The sky's the limit in this new exciting OS! Innovation! We haven't seen innovation in the mobile smartphone industry in a while as it had stalled or more accurately it had plateaued out basically. Admittedly this plateauing is based upon my anecdotal observations but still I myself have the last while been rather meh about it. Not anymore!

Good luck with your assignment HKain7!
    Thanks man, really appreciate it.
    And yes, the smartphone industry hasn't been innovating lately, just adding a couple of features to the new iteration of the opposing system year after year. I'm pretty confident BlackBerry is about to change that.
    02-17-13 06:50 PM
    "Would you like to know what powers BlackBerry 10? QNX. QNX is very stable, in fact, so stable that it is used to power nuclear power plants and space shuttles. That means, all of that lag you remember from your older BlackBerry smartphone is no longer there, this operating system is rewritten from the ground up."
    Hope that helps...
    HKain7 likes this.
    02-17-13 06:56 PM
    In a world dominated by iPhones and Androids, is there a third place for what once was the King? BlackBerry is fighting for a place in the mobile world with its newly released BlackBerry 10.
    Let us be honest, the smartphone world has been calm lately with manufacturers only including minor features and gimmicks with every new iteration of their phone and as a consumer, that gets pretty obvious and boring. The industry needs to step up its game and BlackBerry isn’t sitting back on this one.
    “BlackBerry 10 is not just a device. It is a whole new mobile computing platform” said Thorsten Heins (CEO of BlackBerry) while speaking at the Empire Club of Canada on Tuesday. In its last attempt to be recognized as an innovator again, BlackBerry is coming in hard with features and a user experience that’s unlike any other. A whole new BBM with video chat and screen sharing, a gesture based operating system, big name apps, best in class onscreen keyboard, and a Time Shift camera that allows you to choose the perfect moment.
    It doesn’t stop there; it isn’t just targeting the smartphone market this time, with BlackBerry 10 its going after car integration, household integration, and changing the way we do things. After surveying 100 people in Fordson High School, 76% would switch back to BlackBerry after showing them demo videos about the Z10 and some even asked when they will be available so they can go and buy one. This is what BlackBerry needs and it’s what BlackBerry has, a legacy and that’s what differs it from other phones trying to make an impression. Keep in mind though, a comeback like this doesn’t come over night, it’ll take about a year for people to make the switch. Competition is good as it leads to innovation which benefits us consumers, lets wish BlackBerry the best of luck.

Updated version of the article after taking the CrackBerry community's advice.
    02-17-13 10:34 PM
    I would really suggest that in a future article you discuss QNX. The computing science story is very cool and one that started in academic circles 40 years ago. It is a completely new way of looking at computer engineering and one at odds with the traditional Linex framework. If BB10 pulls it off, this platform has the capacity of revolutionizing mobile computing and M2M applications. We are just getting a glimpse of its capabilities in the multi tasking area, video chatting/screen sharing and car integration. Apple and Android devices are currently struggling to achieve even this rudimentary level of functionality. There are a couple of thread that discuss the computer side of this story.
    02-17-13 11:52 PM
    I would really suggest that in a future article you discuss QNX. The computing science story is very cool and one that started in academic circles 40 years ago. It is a completely new way of looking at computer engineering and one at odds with the traditional Linex framework. If BB10 pulls it off, this platform has the capacity of revolutionizing mobile computing and M2M applications. We are just getting a glimpse of its capabilities in the multi tasking area, video chatting/screen sharing and car integration. Apple and Android devices are currently struggling to achieve even this rudimentary level of functionality. There are a couple of thread that discuss the computer side of this story.
    I still didn't publish the article, I'll see if I should include that. As the crowd I'm writing for is a high school crowd
    02-18-13 12:07 AM
    That is it?
    When I went to school, it use to be 5 or 6 pages long.

You get an F-
    02-18-13 11:42 AM
31 12