Oh yeah I agree as stated in my first post, there's an app that I wish BlackBerry had that iOS has.
    But since my preference is the KB which BlackBerry offers I forgo using that app on my iOS device.

Posted via CB10
    12-27-13 05:03 PM
    BlackBerry did promote themselves as a phone for the artist. Nobody remembers Neil Gaiman and his 12 Tales? He wrote a story for each month on his BB10 and they were all based on ideas he received from fans - all promoted by BlackBerry. It was quite good, though it seemed a bit lowkey (which could be a pun if you've read American Gods).

Anyway - I don't actually write on my Z10 - but I love the Writer app for jotting my ideas down with. The stories I write out by hand or type them on my PlayBook.

Posted via CB10
    Jerale Hoard likes this.
    12-27-13 05:41 PM
    There is no way I could seriously write on a smartphone because formatting, etc. on screens that small is pretty terrible. You'd have to be writing some relatively simple documents compared to what people do on a PC.
    If you are writing content which will be marked up later for LaTeX processing there is no reason you couldn't write and edit the material on a BlackBerry smartphone, especially with a physical keyboard. Sharing a document or manuscript via Box, DropBox, etc. allows for collaboration. The only thing missing is version control. A git client or rcs client available for BlackBerry 10 would be handy.

Posted via the BlackBerry Q5 using CB10.
    12-27-13 06:54 PM
    "Real" writers wouldn't write a book on a phone. Not to criticize anyone out there but cmon. This isn't something that BlackBerry should focus on marketing/promoting. This still screams "I AM A WORK PHONE!" which is what BlackBerry needs to break.
    Maybe you're absolutely right, maybe you're not and your perception is too linear, I honestly don't know. I wrote a book on a BlackBerry, published it, it is a real product, regardless of whether or not it ever sells a single copy. I certainly do not make any claim other than being a wannabe writer, it's more an enjoyable hobby rather than a serious pursuit, which is still accomplishing more of an attempt at creativity than a lot of average joe's ever attempt to engage in.

I can't agree though that it is silly to be writing on a BlackBerry or any mobile for that matter, since writing only requires a word processor and an input. What if I enjoy laying back and writing this way instead of on a laptop or desktop? Doesn't change what I'm writing at all. In the meanwhile, I'm happy, occasionally some poor souls read and every great once in a while subscribe to my blog, and whether or not it's sensible, it works for me as well as any other means of writing, except it's 'more' comfortable for me. To each his own I guess

I wouldn't make it a primary marketing angle or anything, but they could toss the ability to write well in there.

Posted from BitPusher's Q10
    Last edited by BitPusher2600; 12-27-13 at 11:56 PM.
    12-27-13 11:27 PM
    Pad and a lamy 2000!!!!!

It's true that the phone is a device that is always with us, so would be usable wherever we are.

I was at a book signing (Poirot and Me by David Suchet and Geoffrey Wansell) and they were both nice enough to talk about their collaborative effort - Lumia 920's, the in built office app and skydrive - and Wansell used a Surface Pro 2 to type, edit and submit the draft.

So use what you want and feel comfortable with.

Oh - Neil Gaiman won book of the year (Here in the UK) and he's back on his beloved iphone.

If you're creative then you will create and not care what you use to do it.

But the Q10 kb sure helps some

Sent from Tapatalk
    12-28-13 07:31 AM
    I guess it doesn't necessarily have to be written itself, but like the BB Keep moving projects, Neil Gaiman used His Z10 to compile stuff and ideas.. I think that's pretty cool actually. More of these kinds of projects would really help marketing I think!
    12-28-13 07:56 AM
    Thanks and I hear you I'm thinking the combination of killer tools + the physical keyboard and + putting their emphasis on the workflow of documenting thoughts, in writing, sounds and images.
    12-28-13 06:32 PM
    I think it should be the musician's phone. Sound quality on the low latency QNX kernel can't be beat. And flac support = awesome audio experience.
    12-28-13 06:40 PM
    I guess it doesn't necessarily have to be written itself, but like the BB Keep moving projects, Neil Gaiman used His Z10 to compile stuff and ideas.. I think that's pretty cool actually. More of these kinds of projects would really help marketing I think!

Except the Keep Moving Projects were never really used as marketing. They were never advertised. The only way people could really find them is if they went to BlackBerry's website and what are the chances of that? They were just a huge waste since nothing was done with them. I have a few other problems with the Keep Moving Projects but I'll keep it to the point.
    Poirots Progeny likes this.
    12-29-13 07:50 AM
    If you are writing content which will be marked up later for LaTeX processing there is no reason you couldn't write and edit the material on a BlackBerry smartphone, especially with a physical keyboard. Sharing a document or manuscript via Box, DropBox, etc. allows for collaboration. The only thing missing is version control. A git client or rcs client available for BlackBerry 10 would be handy.

Posted via the BlackBerry Q5 using CB10.
    Makes no sense. Its like asking a programmer to write code on a phone. It takes abreast twice as long, and that's being generous and the tools simply are terrible compared to real PC software. The only reason to suffer through this is for props or "cause you can/want to."

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    01-11-14 01:56 AM
    Makes no sense. Its like asking a programmer to write code on a phone. It takes abreast twice as long, and that's being generous and the tools simply are terrible compared to real PC software. The only reason to suffer through this is for props or "cause you can/want to."

Not totally true good sir. I re-state that I enjoy a high speed on my BlackBerry keyboard and my favorite time to do any writing, which involves being highly relaxed, is laying back and clacking away. I'm dead serious, I'm far more relaxed slouched back into the couch or laying on my side in bed than I am sitting upright in a computer chair behind a keyboard. I'm excluding the fact though that I'm not a "real" writer

Namwan likes this.
    01-11-14 03:59 AM
    Not totally true good sir. I re-state that I enjoy a high speed on my BlackBerry keyboard and my favorite time to do any writing, which involves being highly relaxed, is laying back and clacking away. I'm dead serious, I'm far more relaxed slouched back into the couch or laying on my side in bed than I am sitting upright in a computer chair behind a keyboard. I'm excluding the fact though that I'm not a "real" writer

If you say so.

I type fast on my phone but I'm not going to write a book on it. I go to my PC to make longer forum posts. Everything a phone can do, a PC can do better.

I find no discomfort in putting a notebook on my lap to type. Better than squinting at a tiny 3 inch phone screen real estate.

01-11-14 04:06 AM
    "Real" writers wouldn't write a book on a phone. Not to criticize anyone out there but cmon. This isn't something that BlackBerry should focus on marketing/promoting. This still screams "I AM A WORK PHONE!" which is what BlackBerry needs to break.
    People will use whatever tools usable at hand. I've met artists that have recorded whatever lyrics and vocals they wanted / somehow got the inspiration to sing a certain line a certain way, all recorded via phone.

DJs synthesizing entire music out of 2006-era laptops in 2008.
    With whatever degree of success (fail / big time okay), it does not matter.
    Musicians adopting the phones as synthesizing equipment (debateable, yes, but whatever works).

It does not mean that sort of creativity will translate into financial success, but... there's a niche for that.

Handphone written stories, read in handphone format, does have its niche. May not be that of a financial success in USA, but it does have a solid and strong base in Japan where there are writers that can become full time phone novel authors, or making a part time living about that.
    Sure, Japan itself can be odd for Americans, or their models, but doesn't discount that these writers using phones to write novels are not "writers enough".
    01-11-14 04:11 AM
    I write my articles on my BlackBerry on some days when I am too lazy to bring my laptop with me. Or when I'm on the bus. I was never able to do that on an iPhone, as typing was too slow and I had a deadline.

Posted via CB10
    01-11-14 10:27 AM
    People will use whatever tools usable at hand. I've met artists that have recorded whatever lyrics and vocals they wanted / somehow got the inspiration to sing a certain line a certain way, all recorded via phone.

DJs synthesizing entire music out of 2006-era laptops in 2008.
    With whatever degree of success (fail / big time okay), it does not matter.
    Musicians adopting the phones as synthesizing equipment (debateable, yes, but whatever works).

It does not mean that sort of creativity will translate into financial success, but... there's a niche for that.

Handphone written stories, read in handphone format, does have its niche. May not be that of a financial success in USA, but it does have a solid and strong base in Japan where there are writers that can become full time phone novel authors, or making a part time living about that.
    Sure, Japan itself can be odd for Americans, or their models, but doesn't discount that these writers using phones to write novels are not "writers enough".
    That's cool but we already know people will use poor tools if they want to or they're the only thing available. That doesn't really debunk the post that you responded to.

And yes a smartphone is a poor tool compared to a PC or Mac. iPhones have nothing to do with that. The same applies there, they just tend to have better apps for their still poor form factor for writing long form documents.

01-11-14 01:30 PM
    Your choice of wording is subjective. What's poor to you apparently isn't to some others because people are doing it and enjoying it. I kind of thought the idea of using an iPad to entirely produce a studio album sounded asinine until I saw it in motion, like that album the Gorillaz did on theirs. Because it's so personal a preference to an individual, you're no more likely to validate your argument that it's a poor choice than I am to validate it's a good choice because again, there are people like you and there are people actually accomplishing these things with a real product resulting. I just wish I could understand why the aggressiveness? Unless of course I'm misreading your "tone".

Vorkosigan likes this.
    01-11-14 08:55 PM
    I do a bit of writing and I can not use my z10 to write effectively. Even a q10 would not cut it. It's great for jotting notes down and ideas. But any prolonged writing will require something bigger.
    Just my opinion but I don't think that any phone can be described as a writer's phone

Posted via CB10
    01-13-14 12:49 AM
    It doesn't sound like she wrote an entire book on it, and she does a bit of self-deprecating about owning one in the very same thought (which I suppose is testament to its usefulness as a writer's phone, as it indicates she sticks with it despite knowing what everyone else is thinking), but it seems like this is exactly the sort of thing Sloane Crosley (whom I absolutely adore, author of I Was Told There'd Be Cake and How Did You Get This Number) uses her Blackberry for.
    02-17-14 07:09 PM
    Just as everyone THINKS they are a photographer, everyone THINKS they are a writer. That is why there are so many bad photographs and bad books, blogs and reviews. The last thing we need is an app to encourage these people that think they can write. Not having an app with which to write will stop a good writer as much as not having the best phone camera will stop a good photographer.
    02-17-14 07:22 PM
    Just as everyone THINKS they are a photographer, everyone THINKS they are a writer. That is why there are so many bad photographs and bad books, blogs and reviews. The last thing we need is an app to encourage these people that think they can write.
    Sloane Crosley is not just a writer, but a NYT best-selling author. Careful with everyone; that, mind you, is a lot of people, including every veritable writer—whatever you may define that to be.

Not having an app with which to write will stop a good writer as much as not having the best phone camera will stop a good photographer.
    No app will transform a lousy writer into a talented writer. Not having an app with which to write, on the other hand, will turn even the most talented writer into, well, not a writer at all.
    02-18-14 09:19 PM
    Sloane Crosley is not just a writer, but a NYT best-selling author. Careful with everyone; that, mind you, is a lot of people, including every veritable writer—whatever you may define that to be.

No app will transform a lousy writer into a talented writer. Not having an app with which to write, on the other hand, will turn even the most talented writer into, well, not a writer at all.
    I understand that not "everyone" thinks they are a writer. And not "everyone" is a bad writer. It only seems that it's everyone since there are so many badly written articles, blogs, reviews, newspapers, magazines and books. I also understand that there are a lot of great writers. The proliferation of great writers is the reason I can pick out "too many" writers that believe they are writers when they are merely, at best, bloggers with an opinion but without the slightest talent for writing.

Lack of an app will not prevent a talented writer from writing. It will prevent the ***** that thinks they can't write without the help of an app from writing and that's a good thing. That's my point. If you are a talented writer you don't need or even desire an app in order to write well.
    02-18-14 10:54 PM
    I understand that not "everyone" thinks they are a writer. And not "everyone" is a bad writer. It only seems that it's everyone since there are so many badly written articles, blogs, reviews, newspapers, magazines and books. I also understand that there are a lot of great writers. The proliferation of great writers is the reason I can pick out "too many" writers that believe they are writers when they are merely, at best, bloggers with an opinion but without the slightest talent for writing.

Lack of an app will not prevent a talented writer from writing. It will prevent the ***** that thinks they can't write without the help of an app from writing and that's a good thing. That's my point. If you are a talented writer you don't need or even desire an app in order to write well.
    It's scary sir. You don't know me yet you know me so well Kudos.
    02-19-14 01:52 AM
47 12