Tell me something, if you had the greatest screen spec but a lousy or mediocre OS, would you pay $600 - $700? You make it sound like screen specs is everything.
    You may be surprised that for some people the OS is more important. I will pay top dollars for top-notch OS anytime over screen specs. Yes, that's why I'm loving my Z30 for productivity.
    If BB10 were such a great selling point, Blackberry sales would be much better right now.

The problem is that consumers greatly prefer their quad core processor Android devices with 5" 1080p displays over a small device with mediocre PPI and processor running BB10.

It's time to accept either:
    a/ BB10 isn't that great or
    b/ Android isn't that mediocre or...
    c/ OS doesn't really have much of a material impact on sales

Admittedly, I think it's a combination of the three; but, regardless of whether one agrees or not, I think most would be behind BBRY offering a feature consumers are asking for.
    10-21-13 09:51 AM
    I saw a Z30 over the weekend. Its ppi is puke worthy. Screen sharpness is a step down from its touchscreen predecessor. I thought "How can they have such a poor quality screen for such a nice quality device?"

It's kinda like putting on cheapest brand Wal-Mart tires on a Corvette.
    MarsupilamiX and Etios like this.
    10-21-13 10:43 AM
    Lol!! My friend, BlackBerry is in what's similar to a marathon race and it's pretty safe to say that everyone would agree that it stumbled royally after the opening gate and as a result the pack (Apple & Samsung) is currently way ahead. Apple and Samsung are not easing off and BlackBerry is trying very hard to catch up.
    It would be rather naive or foolish to think that BlackBerry would magically catch up with Apple & Samsung, overnight. What BlackBerry has been doing is consistently making incremental gains. Thus far, BlackBerry has made a solid OS platform, it is gradually catching up on the visual esthetic looks of the phone and displays (for instance Z30), and also the user experience has been vastly improved. Yes it has quite a lot catching up in the apps sector. BlackBerry just needs time to catch up with Apple & Samsung. Look at what BlackBerry has done (within a short period) with the sound system (the "Natural Sound") and now its arguably at least on par with the top high end phones. I can safely bet you that the BlackBerry's next high end phone will smoke the competition in the specs war.

Finally most of the consumers that I know don't know much about specs and only cares about how the phone looks, feels and operates. Maybe the consumers you know are all geeks. The consumers you are talking about like Android and Apple because of their robust apps ecosystem, so don't kid yourself.

If BB10 were such a great selling point, Blackberry sales would be much better right now.

The problem is that consumers greatly prefer their quad core processor Android devices with 5" 1080p displays over a small device with mediocre PPI and processor running BB10.

It's time to accept either:
    a/ BB10 isn't that great or
    b/ Android isn't that mediocre or...
    c/ OS doesn't really have much of a material impact on sales

Admittedly, I think it's a combination of the three; but, regardless of whether one agrees or not, I think most would be behind BBRY offering a feature consumers are asking for.
    10-21-13 10:54 AM
    While I think a 1080p screen is unnecessary on the Z30 for practical reasons (cost and the fact that you need to have some seriously above-average visual acuity to tell the difference at normal viewing distances), I think BB should have released the Z10 with its 768x1280 resolution, and had the future touch screens at 1080x1920, if only due to competitive reasons, and the fact that the larger screen Z30 shouldn't have less PPI than the Z10. They should have aimed for where the industry was going.

Having said that, I'd be satisfied with the Z30 anyway, and I'm sure most people would be. In fact, I don't think the Z30 would sell any better with a full HD screen, since most enthusiasts would simply focus on the lesser processor compared to the Android high-end. When the Z10 came out, people were still saying the specs were 2 years old (an exaggeration) even with 2 GB of RAM. Should BB just release a phone with ultra high-end specs simply so that the naysayers wouldn't have anything on specs to pick at? Then it'd be a cost issue or just revert to an apps issue. BB just can't win in that game. To me, BB10 is an awesome OS and is their differentiator, and it runs great on my Z10.
    Fr3lncr likes this.
    10-21-13 03:37 PM
    While I think a 1080p screen is unnecessary on the Z30 for practical reasons (cost and the fact that you need to have some seriously above-average visual acuity to tell the difference at normal viewing distances), I think BB should have released the Z10 with its 768x1280 resolution, and had the future touch screens at 1080x1920, if only due to competitive reasons, and the fact that the larger screen Z30 shouldn't have less PPI than the Z10. They should have aimed for where the industry was going.

Having said that, I'd be satisfied with the Z30 anyway, and I'm sure most people would be. In fact, I don't think the Z30 would sell any better with a full HD screen, since most enthusiasts would simply focus on the lesser processor compared to the Android high-end. When the Z10 came out, people were still saying the specs were 2 years old (an exaggeration) even with 2 GB of RAM. Should BB just release a phone with ultra high-end specs simply so that the naysayers wouldn't have anything on specs to pick at? Then it'd be a cost issue or just revert to an apps issue. BB just can't win in that game. To me, BB10 is an awesome OS and is their differentiator, and it runs great on my Z10.
    I agree with you, that one could be satisfied with the Z30 and that it's not a bad phone per se.

It's just a bad phone for the price it sells for.
    Which was an issue for the Q5/10 and the Z10 at launch as well.

The Z10 will be retiered, the Q10's price was nearly halved and the Q5... Well the Q5 is still a bad joke pricing wise.
    The whole BB10 pricing strategy was/is atrocious, abysmal and lunatic.

BlackBerry's issue is, that the market corrects such mistakes, because consumers vote with their wallet and a new price of equilibrium will be established.
    In BlackBerry's case, the market already has decided that their prices are too high.

One reason can be found in this topic:
    Instead of adopting the new industry standard for displays in flagships, called 1080p, BlackBerry still sticks around with the past.
    It would be fine in a mid-range phone and there wouldn't be any complaints, but for a flagship this is unacceptable.
    (The same goes for the 32 bit dual-core CPU and the mediocre camera)

As long as you aren't Apple (and they have a 64 bit CPU, the best ecosystem, the best retail network etc...) selling specs from yesteryear, will not work.

Posted via CB10
    10-21-13 05:35 PM

And there is a reason for that.
    http://www.displaymate.com/Smartphone_ShootOut_3.htm
    ^
    "From the above discussion, there are lots of good and technically sound reasons for moving up to Full HD in a 5 inch Smartphone display. People with reasonably good vision will be able to see and appreciate the higher resolution, additional sharpness and image detail that it provides."

Posted via CB10
    10-23-13 05:11 AM
81 ... 234