What does all this prove? People become proficient on the device they use everyday. Other than that it means nothing.
    It's a mixture of both proficiency of the user and efficiency of the device.

Try doing this on an iPhone and see how you go
    04-11-14 07:28 AM
    It's a mixture of both proficiency of the user and efficiency of the device.

Try doing this on an iPhone and see how you go
    It has nothing to do with proficiency. People can be proficient on all platforms.

Posted with my Q
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-11-14 09:43 AM
    What does all this prove? People become proficient on the device they use everyday. Other than that it means nothing.
    I agree with this. I've used SwiftKey for years, so I became proficient on the BB10 keyboard in no time. A few weeks ago someone was talking about an awesome keyboard on Android and I decided to check it out. I uninstalled it within a couple hours because it was so different from SwiftKey. Also, sometimes on my Nexus 7 the keyboad reverts back to the stock keyboard. I try to use it for a bit, but I always turn SwiftKey back on after sending a few messages. I guess I don't like having to get used to something new if I don't have to. However, when something is the ONLY OPTION, then I try to make it work as best I can. I hated the BB physical keyboard at first because it was so different from the Sidekick keyboard that I had been using for 3 years prior, but since the BB keyboard was my only choice I stuck with it and learned how to use it. Same thing happened when I was forced to get used to a virtual keyboard when I switched to the Samsung Vibrant after using BlackBerry.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-11-14 11:43 AM
    All of this yakking back and forth about various words and phrases is The pointless issue. My previous phone was an HTC 8X running WP8. My current phone is a Z10. My Z10 is much faster when typing emails, texts, etc., in the real world. That should be the only test of typing speed.
    04-11-14 12:29 PM
    All of this yakking back and forth about various words and phrases is The pointless issue. My previous phone was an HTC 8X running WP8. My current phone is a Z10. My Z10 is much faster when typing emails, texts, etc., in the real world. That should be the only test of typing speed.
    Windows Phone 8.1 has a new sliding keyboard, which was the point of the world record. In all likeliness, you have never used Windows 8.1 because it has not been released.

I don't think it should actually be difficult to believe that sliding keyboards would be faster than the BB10 keyboard IRL. Many always preferred original Swiftkey; though, some BBRY enthusiasts have avoided acknowledging this by saying Blackberry has the best "default" keyboard. Now, the claim will be more difficult for BBRY and BBRY fans to make.

The old WP8 keyboard had no sliding or flicking so of course it was slower.
    Laura Knotek and dolco like this.
    04-11-14 01:28 PM
    So for all the doubters: try to start typing "Pygocentrus" on your BB10. Bet you have never typed that on your phone before, so go ahead and see what happens.

WP having the fastest keyboard in the world? No, BlackBerry is faster :)-img_20140412_001106.png

Holy Cow! What the hell is this?

Posted via CB10
    irweezyy likes this.
    04-11-14 01:41 PM
    Nice, thank you all guys for your opinions. Me and BlackBerry Czech are glad that we stirred up the hive a lil bit about this.

Now, how about breaking the world record with a stock BB10 device?

Posted via CB10
    04-11-14 04:47 PM
    P-y-g brings up a lot. P-y-g-o brings up Pygocentrus on both BB10 keyboard and Swype.
    I tried it and with just py, it gave me Pygocentrus. I never used that word before.
    southlander likes this.
    04-11-14 05:14 PM
    I tried it on my phone and my Z10 keyboard knows those scientific words. Even the last sentence. I just swipe all the way. It's really cool that our BlackBerry devices learn the way we type. This is really a big advantage of BlackBerry to other platforms.

And to all haters, do you think the Windows guy who used the Windows phone to type didn't practice at all? How could you even join a contest without practice?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by rhon3g; 04-11-14 at 05:31 PM.
    04-11-14 05:16 PM
    BB10 has a great keyboard but that video is laughably bad.
    04-11-14 05:20 PM
    So for all the doubters: try to start typing "Pygocentrus" on your BB10. Bet you have never typed that on your phone before, so go ahead and see what happens.

Not impressive at all. And that's using the Samsung Keyboard (admittedly based on SwiftKey).

And it's not learned because I don't use those learning functions on my keyboard as it can cause it to make incorrect predictions based on what I type before, like acronyms that I had to force through...

The Windows Phone keyboard has good predictions, so coupled with gesture typing it is very fast.

Additionally for these records you can simply give the typist a clean phone. They aren't using their personal device for this. Microsoft used a Lucia 520 with Beta WP8.1 software on it to get the record.

So that video isn't even comparable to what Microsoft did.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk
    dolco likes this.
    04-11-14 06:00 PM
    Can he do it on a fresh BB10 device with GBOWR staffers vetting it?
    For Guinness, starting with a fresh phone might be useful but in the real world, how many times are you typing on a fresh out of the box phone? In real world usage, the learning is a key part of BB10's efficiency. I can type my entire 25+ character firm name in about five swipes. And it only took entering it once or twice.
    04-11-14 06:04 PM
    cut the arguiing out or both of you will get slapped
    Bluenoser63 likes this.
    04-11-14 09:07 PM
    I tried typing the phrase that was in the windows video and BBs predictions were bang on, even the scientific nomenclature. And no, I have never typed most of those words before.
    That video is so pointless. Even in the video you can see that the words he typed on the BlackBerry had already been typed before. Who knows how many times he has typed it in to get the word prediction to do that.

It proves absolutely nothing except for that guys has enough spare time on his hand to enter a phrase over and over. I'm pretty sure my Android keyboard would do that also if I spent the time typing only the same thing all day long.

Try timing the phone again with a randomly generated phrase or a fresh out of the box phone and it won't be nearly as impressive.
    Bluenoser63 likes this.
    04-11-14 09:14 PM
    I tried typing the phrase that was in the windows video and BBs predictions were bang on, even the scientific nomenclature. And no, I have never typed most of those words before.
    Same here. The only ones who doubt the video are ones who probably don't have a BB10 device. It is pretty impressive and the best screen keyboard out there.
    04-11-14 09:17 PM
    im curious but who does the predictive text for Microsoft?
    04-11-14 09:26 PM
    I don't know, but it's something I'd also like to know.
    04-11-14 09:33 PM
    They do it for themselves:

http://blogs.windows.com/windows_pho...-keyboard.aspx

They have enormous amounts of R&D in this area, and can carry on investments from their other software like Microsoft Office and Microsoft Windows to improve it as well.
    Laura Knotek and dolco like this.
    04-11-14 10:43 PM
    In my opinion, the keyboard and speed are only as good as the person doing the typing.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    04-11-14 11:05 PM
    Lmao, great video. All you envious souls here it's ok to gripe. The point here is how fast the keyboard is and yes overtime it learns how you type so yeah......in a real world situation this is spot on, loves it!

It's so great to type long sentences with such little effort and super speedy, it's like my BlackBerry is reading my mind or something

Here is another rigged video for yallz, lmao!

Photos captured using BlackBerry devices - C00016D81
    04-11-14 11:32 PM
    I don't think it should actually be difficult to believe that sliding keyboards would be faster than the BB10 keyboard IRL. Many always preferred original Swiftkey; though, some BBRY enthusiasts have avoided acknowledging this by saying Blackberry has the best "default" keyboard. Now, the claim will be more difficult for BBRY and BBRY fans to make.

The old WP8 keyboard had no sliding or flicking so of course it was slower.
    The main property of a virtual keyboard is how easy it learns user dictionary and offers appropriate suggestions.
    The input style - flick or swipe - is irrelevant if the machine tries to push you the word you don't want to type.
    BB10 (as well as some other keyboards) peek into user data to grab the style and user dictionary.
    I was amazed how my Z10 picked up the most difficult words such as my postal index which consists of numbers and letters, some techincal terms we use, etc.
    BB10 contains a beast called PIM Services that has access to most user messages - Email, Facebook, Twitter, SMS, BBM and so on.
    The message doesn't have to be typed on the device - PIM builds user dictionary after activating an account with messages; or if the message originated from another device, i.e. desktop.

Both videos are far from reality, IMO.
    They show that there are some common interconnected words in literature but if I don't use those words then it's of no value for me.
    04-11-14 11:52 PM
    The main property of a virtual keyboard is how easy it learns user dictionary and offers appropriate suggestions.
    The input style - flick or swipe - is irrelevant if the machine tries to push you the word you don't want to type.
    BB10 (as well as some other keyboards) peek into user data to grab the style and user dictionary.
    I was amazed how my Z10 picked up the most difficult words such as my postal index which consists of numbers and letters, some techincal terms we use, etc.
    BB10 contains a beast called PIM Services that has access to most user messages - Email, Facebook, Twitter, SMS, BBM and so on.
    The message doesn't have to be typed on the device - PIM builds user dictionary after activating an account with messages; or if the message originated from another device, i.e. desktop.

Both videos are far from reality, IMO.
    They show that there are some common interconnected words in literature but if I don't use those words then it's of no value for me.
    That's not unique to Blackberry, in fact they were pretty late to that.

The Google Keyboard does the same thing IRT your Google Account.

Swype does it now and SwiftKey has been doing it for quite a while.

I think some OEM keyboards like those from Samsung and HTC have been doing it for a while now as well - the Samsung Keyboard in the Note 3 clearly does it from my screenshot, but I keep that stuff off because I prefer stock predictions and don't want odd tech phrases, acronyms, hashtags, etc. added to my keyboard's dictionary.

Much of those other keyboards have been doing this since before Blackberry 10 was even on the market.

Microsoft already has all the tech to do this. They can leverage tech from software like Microsoft Word and repurpose it in Mobile (i.e. offering suggestions based on position, context, frequency, etc.)

The whole "learn from your other sources" stuff is old news. That is 2011-era innovation.

Lacking gesture typing at this point is a strike, IMO. It can be toggled on or off, so there is no gain in not having it there.

And I'm not sure what an iPhone 5S' word prediction has to do with either the Windows Phone keyboard or the Blackberry keyboard. iOS' predictions have been a source of entertainment since the iPhone was released (hi, DYAC). It's hasn't been a selling point of the phone since other OEMs/Platforms finally implemented Multi-Touch Software Keyboards..
    TgeekB, pantlesspenguin and ubizmo like this.
    04-12-14 02:25 AM
    To be fair, I agree. I think for it to man something, it would be done on fresh device. That was how it was explained to me a while back when Swype owned the record; prediction can be manipulated.
    That's ridiculous. The device should have been used for a while so that the actual keyboard functionality can be tested. Otherwise it's like comparing the apps on bb10 and android on fresh devices without allowing time for downloads.

However, I agree that the text typed should be random to prevent specific preparation.
    04-12-14 05:24 AM
    I agree with this. I've used SwiftKey for years, so I became proficient on the BB10 keyboard in no time. A few weeks ago someone was talking about an awesome keyboard on Android and I decided to check it out. I uninstalled it within a couple hours because it was so different from SwiftKey. Also, sometimes on my Nexus 7 the keyboad reverts back to the stock keyboard. I try to use it for a bit, but I always turn SwiftKey back on after sending a few messages. I guess I don't like having to get used to something new if I don't have to. However, when something is the ONLY OPTION, then I try to make it work as best I can. I hated the BB physical keyboard at first because it was so different from the Sidekick keyboard that I had been using for 3 years prior, but since the BB keyboard was my only choice I stuck with it and learned how to use it. Same thing happened when I was forced to get used to a virtual keyboard when I switched to the Samsung Vibrant after using BlackBerry.
    This. The awesome prediction that people refer to when talking about the blackberry keyboard is all SwiftKey.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    04-12-14 05:32 AM
    Interesting. "Py" for me and it was there. Definitely never typed that before. Lol.
    04-12-14 06:41 AM
67 123