I believe the commercial was meant to leave people going.."huh? I need to go look that up and see what BB is doing."
    I think many people miss this point. The Superbowl commercial is not meant for us people who are already well aware of BB10 and its features. It's meant to raise the awareness of those who have probably not even heard that there's a new BlackBerry. That's why my opinion on this particular commercial really doesn't mean jack squat. I'm not going to tell BB that they should show so and so because I think it's cool and therefore other people who have no idea about this phone will think it's cool too. I'm not paid to do that anyways.

Second of all, it's a commercial. I don't like commercials (except those "banned" IKEA commercials on YouTube. Those are hilarious). I don't like watching TV because of commercials.
    02-03-13 09:35 PM
    Here's a challenge for you armchair marketing managers:

Put together three 30 second marketing spots, covering the following:

1. Ad A - shows that BlackBerry the company is alive and ready to do business;

2. Ad B - shows off the benefits of the BlackBerry 10 operating system.

3. Ad c - Talks about the benefits of the Z10

The ads can be no more than 30 seconds long.

Go ...
    Do I get the $4m fee too?
    02-03-13 09:35 PM
    $4M was to air the commercial, not make it.
    Do I get the $4m fee too?
    02-03-13 09:37 PM
    $4M was to air the commercial, not make it.
    Um, no, it was $3m to air it.

I want the fee that Blackberry paid to make it.

I'd guess with the level of CGI used, it was expensive. $4m is my guess.
    richardat likes this.
    02-03-13 09:39 PM
    Well I think the ad agencies are really missing out on all the talent that can be found on Crackberry.
    Maybe the people in CrackBerry are too busy shouting out strategies from their living room chairs instead of sending them cover letters and resumes?

One thing that will be interesting is to see if and how this one commercial connects to other parts of the campaign.
    Here's a challenge for you armchair marketing managers:

Put together three 30 second marketing spots, covering the following:

1. Ad A - shows that BlackBerry the company is alive and ready to do business;

2. Ad B - shows off the benefits of the BlackBerry 10 operating system.

3. Ad c - Talks about the benefits of the Z10

The ads can be no more than 30 seconds long.

Go ...
    You know, I think this is a really silly response. Are people claiming to be Marketing experts, because AS CONSUMERS--the TARGET of Marketing, they don't see the ad as effective?

Stop trying to deflect people's honest criticism with "Oh yeah, you couldn't do it better," nonsense. First--you may be surprised at how good some people CAN do, and secondly, it totally misses the point.

What if someone DID put that together? It's not like it will change what DID happen.

KAM
    Most of what I have read on BB forums especially is critisism in the guize of oppinion.... for me I try to ciritque things... which is look at the issue... state the issue....possible solutions and open it up for discussion.... those who criticize simply state the issue and blame it on something. or someone with no interest on how to help the problem they see.... not terribly productive...but many love to do it....
    02-03-13 09:41 PM
    When I log onto the forums now I half expect to hear "Like sands through the hourglass.... So are the days of our lives" there is so much drama on here
    I'm just glad people are noticing... For a minute there I thought I was going crazy
    BlackStormRising and jakie55 like this.
    02-03-13 09:43 PM
    Here's my opinion. The ad was a waste of money BBRY doesn't have. I doubt any stockholders would be happy with it. They could have spent 30 seconds doing something silly with the Timeshift camera. I can think of plenty ways to do that in 30 seconds.

That what forums are for. Obviously some opinions will be childish and idiotic but again, that's what a forum is for. Just ignore the ones you don't like or address it.
    02-03-13 09:46 PM
    I couldn't imagine anything worse than a THREAD DEDICATED to complaining about some generalized group of people (who allegedly are the majority).

I agree there is an awful lot of poor reasoning, hypocrisy, and histrionic reasoning going on here, though we apparently disagree on the mindset of the type of people who are producing the majority of it. My advice, and what I certainly think would make the board a better place - rather than what is tantamount to an emotional "hate/complaint" thread (I hope you see the hypocrisy inherent in that) - is to deal with specific posts you disagree with, in a detached, logical, unemotional way.

However, your posts strongly suggest that you don't mind opinion or emotionalism, you simply don't like it when the opinion or emotion differs from your own. Your final prescription: that people only be allowed to "root" for BB, may well make you - and some others -happy, but it will kill any meaningful discussion, and any intellectual truth, the board may have.
    kevinnugent, cckgz4 and Drew808 like this.
    02-03-13 09:48 PM
    At a superbowl game? MY ad design would have consisted of copious amounts of smooth, curvaceous scantily clad flesh, scenes of fast cars, city nightscapes, maybe a shot of a really sexy office suit business woman with a z10, and have the background music be ACDC back in black. Major shameless emphasis on using sex to sell.
    02-03-13 09:50 PM
    I love that everyone was expecting features, and they literally showed nothing! Its hilarious people, lighten up. Stepping away from the literal commercial to the message "here is 30 seconds not showing anything the phone can do", thats comedy gold. Americans still have a sense of humor right? Much more to come with their Keep Moving campaign.
    Too many people are too worked up over this. Im not sure many people get it, considering the number of people unaware that there is a full campaign coming (and already underway) that show off BB10.
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    02-03-13 09:52 PM
    It is frustrating to be a Blackberry user in the US. Sales reps at every carrier store treat you like an ***** for even mentioning Blackberry. Co-workers continually making comments that Blackberry is dead. The frustration has built up and where else is a Blackberry user gonna vent. I think Blackberry is managing market conditions as best they can but many of us are still very frustrated. I would love to see Blackberry be far more aggressive and take on Samsung and iphone directly. Just like THEY do to their competition and to blackberry I might add. If Thors was asked, behind the scenes, what his vision for the company vs the competition would be, this is what I think his answer should be......
    What is best in life? - YouTube
    02-03-13 09:56 PM
    The ad was aimed squarely at the Crackberry core audience because they know it took a super human effort to stick with them after you've been flamed and trolled for the past THREE years on your OWN damn fansite! They are saying thanks for sticking with us guys.
    02-03-13 09:58 PM
    I have spent hours and hours on this site and have never seen the wide range of nonsense that has turned this place into a bunch of toddlers kicking and screaming because they do not get their way. The forums as of lately have been FILLED with people crying foul over the US release date in numerous posts and even in posts that had NOTHING to do with that subject. Now the Superbowl commercial comes out and people are complaining once again. Saying "Oh the non official commercial showed off the Z10 better" WELL OF COURSE IT DID IT WAS OVER 3 TIMES LONGER!!!

Believe me I know this is the internet. The land where everyone could do a better job than everybody else. Where the average Crackberry forum member suddenly turns into a marketing genius, where a mechanic can be a financial analyst and everyone could be a better CEO and run a billion dollar corporation. It's getting ridiculous. When I log onto the forums now I half expect to hear "Like sands through the hourglass.... So are the days of our lives" there is so much drama on here.
    And now we have a thread complaining about people complaining. Nothing wrong with that. As I periodically tell my graduate students and postdoctoral fellows, bad data is better than no data - imagine if everyone stop posting...
    02-03-13 09:59 PM
    At a superbowl game? MY ad design would have consisted of copious amounts of smooth, curvaceous scantily clad flesh, scenes of fast cars, city nightscapes, maybe a shot of a really sexy office suit business woman with a z10, and have the background music be ACDC back in black. Major shameless emphasis on using sex to sell.
    LOL.. You don't want any women to buy a BlackBerry?
    02-03-13 10:00 PM
    i don't think the negativity is new, when RIM announced the delay in September there were actually threads claiming
    RIM would get sued for delaying and those complaints have calmed down, so probably the current tide or tsunami
    of negativity will ebb again till the next end of the world event....
    Masahiro likes this.
    02-03-13 10:00 PM
    Right. You need to 1) think of people as blackberry users and not even mention nationality. If you were a huge fan of the device and didn't get it you'd be miffed too. 2)Understand the purpose of a commercial is to inform and showcase the product. The BB superbowl commercial did nothing. 3) People are allowed to have their opinions. 4) Are allowed to be mad that features that differentiate BB from the competition have dwindled to the point where the z10 is basically an iPhone clone to the average user.
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
    02-03-13 10:04 PM
    It is frustrating to be a Blackberry user in the US. Sales reps at every carrier store treat you like an ***** for even mentioning Blackberry. Co-workers continually making comments that Blackberry is dead. The frustration has built up and where else is a Blackberry user gonna vent. I think Blackberry is managing market conditions as best they can but many of us are still very frustrated. I would love to see Blackberry be far more aggressive and take on Samsung and iphone directly. Just like THEY do to their competition and to blackberry I might add. If Thors was asked, behind the scenes, what his vision for the company vs the competition would be, this is what I think his answer should be......
    What is best in life? - YouTube
    I personally don't care one bit what someone thinks of me for using a Blackberry, but you're right. Idiots giggle about us "dinosaurs."
    I went to a Verizon Store today and stated plainly I was interested in their Data plans, because Sprint was dragging their feet on the Z10. The sales person was helpful, but didn't know much about BB10, and asked why I wanted a Blackberry (instead of an iphone or android). I didn't bother getting into a debate about it, but said simply, that was the phone I wanted and that I learned a lot about it.

cpsquires here is talking about how funny this is. Um...yeah, that's EXACTLY what Blackberry needs...a joke. They're ALREADY a joke in the minds of the uninformed and if anything this will reinforce this uninformed (but broad) mindset.

Inside jokes are NOT what will spread the word. We fans are ALREADY begging for this, and are upset at Carriers delays.

KAM
    02-03-13 10:05 PM
    I have been a Blackberry owner since the storm, I bought the Playbook first week it came out and am using my 9900 as some of the buttons are literally falling off. I have browsed these forums though excitement and disappointment and tried my best to hang in there, till I could finally get my hands on what I have been waiting for. I have spent hours and hours on this site and have never seen the wide range of nonsense that has turned this place into a bunch of toddlers kicking and screaming because they do not get their way. The forums as of lately have been FILLED with people crying foul over the US release date in numerous posts and even in posts that had NOTHING to do with that subject. Now the Superbowl commercial comes out and people are complaining once again. Saying "Oh the non official commercial showed off the Z10 better" WELL OF COURSE IT DID IT WAS OVER 3 TIMES LONGER!!!

Believe me I know this is the internet. The land where everyone could do a better job than everybody else. Where the average Crackberry forum member suddenly turns into a marketing genius, where a mechanic can be a financial analyst and everyone could be a better CEO and run a billion dollar corporation. It's getting ridiculous. When I log onto the forums now I half expect to hear "Like sands through the hourglass.... So are the days of our lives" there is so much drama on here.

I think a lot of you have really missed the whole point here. Blackberry has a new phone...... even if you have to wait one month to get it........ its not a dream anymore. Our team is not in the superbowl yet, but we have a great new quarterback. You can all be arm chair coaches and think could could do a better job but we all know how annoying that is. Or you could just root for your team.
    If you didn't know bb had a new phone and only saw the ad, you still wouldn't know they had a new phone
    KAM1138 likes this.
    02-03-13 10:05 PM
    Icpsquires here is talking about how funny this is. Um...yeah, that's EXACTLY what Blackberry needs...a joke. They're ALREADY a joke in the minds of the uninformed and if anything this will reinforce this uninformed (but broad) mindset.

Inside jokes are NOT what will spread the word. We fans are ALREADY begging for this, and are upset at Carriers delays.

KAM
    I dont see it as an inside joke at all. No matter what features they showed, it wouldn't have been good enough. So they went in the opposite direction. If this ad upsets people, then they have bigger issues than the ad. It is just my opinion, I loved the ad, and love all the attention it is getting. They are following up with so much more advertising as well.
    Prince_Poppycock likes this.
    02-03-13 10:10 PM
    the ad was simply stunning. seth and paul were hilarious.
    02-03-13 10:13 PM
    You know, I think this is a really silly response. Are people claiming to be Marketing experts, because AS CONSUMERS--the TARGET of Marketing, they don't see the ad as effective?
    There are some that just say, "I didn't like it". There are others that say "RIM should do ______"

It's the second group I challenge.
    What if someone DID put that together? It's not like it will change what DID happen.
    I'd love it if some clever folks did.
    02-03-13 10:13 PM
    I have been a Blackberry owner since the storm, I bought the Playbook first week it came out and am using my 9900 as some of the buttons are literally falling off. I have browsed these forums though excitement and disappointment and tried my best to hang in there, till I could finally get my hands on what I have been waiting for. I have spent hours and hours on this site and have never seen the wide range of nonsense that has turned this place into a bunch of toddlers kicking and screaming because they do not get their way. The forums as of lately have been FILLED with people crying foul over the US release date in numerous posts and even in posts that had NOTHING to do with that subject. Now the Superbowl commercial comes out and people are complaining once again. Saying "Oh the non official commercial showed off the Z10 better" WELL OF COURSE IT DID IT WAS OVER 3 TIMES LONGER!!!

I think a lot of you have really missed the whole point here. Blackberry has a new phone...... even if you have to wait one month to get it........ its not a dream anymore. Our team is not in the superbowl yet, but we have a great new quarterback. You can all be arm chair coaches and think could could do a better job but we all know how annoying that is. Or you could just root for your team.
    USA! USA! USA! Whahhhh? Drama? Here? Nawwwww....next thing you know trash shows like TMZ, Jerry Springer, Big Rich Texas and Bad Girls Club will be popular....oh....yeah. Nevermind. We're sooooo cerebral in the US. LOL
    However, ultimately, I agree. I like to give constructive criticism, but it's getting a little out of hand. I guess this is what happens when a large group of people are told to be patient for 2 1/2 years + 6 weeks
    02-03-13 10:15 PM
    There are some that just say, "I didn't like it". There are others that say "RIM should do ______"

It's the second group I challenge.

I'd love it if some clever folks did.
    Well, I hope you get some good responses then.

However, even if someone says: I think Blackberry needs to reach a wider audience and be more clear about what their new product is. It doesn't mean that they as CONSUMERS have the skill to produce the thing that they think will be effective.

I can DESCRIBE a product I would love, but it doesn't mean I can make it.

KAM
    02-03-13 10:21 PM
85 1234