Sooooooo, Android doesn't have this feature after all, we never asked in the first place and I certainly don't care what app you might or might not be using. Goodbye!
    06-07-12 01:44 AM
    Sooooooo, Android doesn't have this feature after all, we never asked in the first place and I certainly don't care what app you might or might not be using. Goodbye!
    So, BBOS can't block specific / only unknown numbers?
    06-07-12 01:47 AM
    So, BBOS can't block specific / only unknown numbers?
    What do you care? You didn't even know what Unknown numbers were until a few minutes ago.
    06-07-12 02:02 AM
    What do you care? You didn't even know what Unknown numbers were until a few minutes ago.
    And you confused call barring settings with call blocking settings

Anyway, I am just wondering how good the newly discovered call blocker is and why so much excitement
    Last edited by kennyliu; 06-07-12 at 02:06 AM.
    Heliogabalus likes this.
    06-07-12 02:04 AM
    Blackberry was around like 8 or 9 years before Android even existed. I would hope they'd have features first!
    And now blackberry is 8 or 9 years behind android, funny that.
    06-07-12 02:07 AM
    And you confused call barring settings with call blocking settings

Anyway, I am just wondering how good the newly discovered call blocker is and why so much excitement
    I didn't, I confused the poster, it was N8ter that posted the screenshot.

Edit- it's exciting because out of the box, it ensures no stranger can text, pin, bbm, email and now call my kids.
    Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 06-07-12 at 02:16 AM.
    kennyliu likes this.
    06-07-12 02:09 AM
    I didn't, I confused the poster, it was N8ter that posted the screenshot.
    Are you sure? Because I see call reject settings in both my and his/her post.

Besides, you wrote "blocking unknown numbers and creating your own list is NOT the same as blocking ALL numbers not in your Address Book," which definitely pertains to my post.
    06-07-12 02:13 AM
    Are you sure? Because I see call reject settings in both my and his/her post.

Besides, you wrote "blocking unknown numbers and creating your own list is NOT the same as blocking ALL numbers not in your Address Book," which definitely pertains to my post.
    Dude, go enjoy your Android somewhere else.

Ps, I edited above why it's exciting.
    06-07-12 02:20 AM
    Edit- it's exciting because out of the box, it ensures no stranger can text, pin, bbm, email and now call my kids.
    OK, good point.

Out of curiosity, are parental control settings password protected?

If so, can your child add a contact on his/her own with parental control enabled?
    06-07-12 02:32 AM
    OK, good point.

Out of curiosity, are parental control settings password protected?

If so, can your child add a contact on his/her own with parental control enabled?
    It's protected by a 4 digit password. I don't know yet but that's not the point really, this is protection against strangers, perverts, bullies not against a boyfriend I might not approve of lol.
    kennyliu likes this.
    06-07-12 02:38 AM
    Sounds like if the child makes a contact card for that other person the call will come through, no?

If that's the case, the feature is pretty much useless.

It will be useful for blocking telemarketers, though...

Doesn't seem to work on VoIP, SMS/MMS (other than a blanket block), BBM, and IM apps, either. So I fail to see why you guys are acting like it's the second coming. You actually have children who use their phones more for talking than texting and data services? Lol.

Newsflash: Any child doing anything on a phone that you don't want them to do will do it using a data service, not something you can easily track on your phone bill or at your carrier website (or in their little app).
    Last edited by N8ter; 06-07-12 at 02:46 AM.
    06-07-12 02:42 AM
    Sounds like if the child makes a contact card for that other person the call will come through, no?

If that's the case, the feature is pretty much useless.

It will be useful for blocking telemarketers, though...

Doesn't seem to work on VoIP, SMS/MMS (other than a blanket block), BBM, and IM apps, either. So I fail to see why you guys are acting like it's the second coming. You actually have children who use their phones more for talking than texting and data services? Lol.

Newsflash: Any child doing anything on a phone that you don't want them to do will do it using a data service, not something you can easily track on your phone bill or at your carrier website (or in their little app).
    Newsflash, a Blackberry also has a built in firewall where you can block sms, pins and emails, BBM has it's own blocking feature.

You must understand this is protection against strangers, perverts or bullies that could otherwise contact your kid.
    06-07-12 02:49 AM
    I love how almost everything is made into a competition and argument around here.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    06-07-12 02:53 AM
    @kennyliu

Dude, seriously let it go. This thread has nothing to do with Android, no need to bring it up. By the way, i just picked up a Galaxy Nexus which is a pure Android device and it doesn't have that feature. I use Google Voice, which has this feature but not everyone uses google voice. You have an HTC device so HTC or any other OEM that skins android can and does add its own features so you can't just say "android has this feature" because you can't be sure if it was added by HTC or part of pure android.
    06-08-12 10:18 AM
    Thanks op, call blocker lite. Does the job for me.
    06-08-12 10:28 AM
    You have an HTC device so HTC or any other OEM that skins android can and does add its own features so you can't just say "android has this feature" because you can't be sure if it was added by HTC or part of pure android.
    This is actually one of my pet peeves of Android. When I got a Samsung phone after over a year of using high end HTC devices, I realized that most of the features I enjoyed were actually baked into Sense and not pure Android. It was a disappointment, because I WANT to like Sammy devices. I need to start preparing myself for the BB10 learning curve, lol.
    06-08-12 11:09 AM
    I noticed that too, OP. I can't remember seeing it on 7.0 though.

Too bad the usual suspects decided to bash your thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    06-08-12 11:17 AM
    Great. "Android had this feature forever" /said in a sniveling, whiny voice. You know what else Android had forever? Data mining of all your personal information.

Thanks for passing this along.
    Android is also a data sieve. So enjoy the overage charges on your android data plan since all of the vendors are going away from unlimited data. That is why they are giving them away
    Last edited by dbollman423; 06-08-12 at 11:27 AM.
    06-08-12 11:25 AM
    @kennyliu

Dude, seriously let it go. This thread has nothing to do with Android, no need to bring it up. By the way, i just picked up a Galaxy Nexus which is a pure Android device and it doesn't have that feature. I use Google Voice, which has this feature but not everyone uses google voice. You have an HTC device so HTC or any other OEM that skins android can and does add its own features so you can't just say "android has this feature" because you can't be sure if it was added by HTC or part of pure android.
    Call blocking IS in pure ICS as well. It's part of Contacts settings.

In any case, I was not responding to the OP per se, but rather to the poster who said that call blocking is "something quite advanced". I used to use call blocking on my first Symbian phone aeons ago.
    06-08-12 01:44 PM
    WOW!!!! So the latest Android OS now has something that was part of Symbian eons ago?!? WOW!!!! Shame it's taken Android so long!!!!!

Heehee

Sorry, couldn't resist,,,,, Peace. Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    06-08-12 04:17 PM
    OMG, can we stop talking about Android now? Who the f***k cares?
    I am just happy BlackBerry has this feature now out of the box.
    06-08-12 04:46 PM
    w00t can't wait.
    06-08-12 06:13 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD