05-21-16 09:02 AM
89 1234
tools
    Chen's "profitable" number has been adjusting downward as cost have been cut. Last time he said 3 Million in sales with the ASP of about $315. But he has since hinted that their are other options for cutting cost and even raising ASP... looking like they are moving to a direct sales model.
    They had better make then verizon compatible or they'll regret it.

Passport SE, "The BlockBerry" - Cricket Wireless
    05-12-16 04:33 PM
    Also, I get that the Passport's screen dimensions are not conducive to running Android, but it looks to me like they could modify the CAD drawings slightly to run a screen down where the current model's capacitive keyboard is, perhaps lengthen the unit at the top, stuff in more battery, and have an Android winner with low development cost. They could call it the Passport Plus, charge a premium price, and compete straight-up with the Note, which is popular but looks like crap.
    I like the way you think, lol. I feel the same way, love the form factor of the Passport.
    05-12-16 06:13 PM
    Actually BlackBerry runs a pretty clean Android. Chen used to say that he needed to sell about 10 million BB10 units just to break even. Running Android is so much cheaper that I think that the break even point may be half of that or less. I think that a reasonably priced all touch and PKB have the potential to keep BlackBerry in the phone business.
    He said 3 million recently, but that was based on the ASP of the Priv at $315 if memory serves. Then again, manufacturing the Slider mechanism was likely costly so maybe 4-5M units at $400 USD?
    05-12-16 06:15 PM
    Hello friends,

This question has been in my mind after the release of the rumored leaked image of BlackBerry Hamburg device.

So please what's your say
    Hate to burst your bubble but we have a sub 400 dollar Android. The Priv is at 375 for an unlocked AT&T version.

Woof!
    05-12-16 06:24 PM
    Why, yes. Does anybody else manufacture Android (or iOS, or Windows) phones with a PKB? No? Then it's got to be BlackBerry
    05-12-16 06:29 PM
    "Would You Be Willing To Pay $400 For Blackberry’s New Android Device?"

No.
    05-12-16 10:39 PM
    "Would You Be Willing To Pay $400 For Blackberry’s New Android Device?"

No.
    Would you be willing to pay $400 for any new Android device, lol.
    PantherBlitz and ssbtech like this.
    05-12-16 10:43 PM
    Would you be willing to pay $400 for any new Android device, lol.
    Maybe Samsung or LG, but not BlackBerry.
    05-12-16 10:46 PM
    Maybe Samsung or LG, but not BlackBerry.
    Interesting, I've used Sony and find their build quality to be excellent, and the new HTC 10 looks pretty good. The S7 looks pretty good as well, much better than the S6 which was a complete DUD imho (google ebay listings for confirmation).

You seem pretty set on not BlackBerry, had a bad experience in the past?
    05-12-16 10:54 PM
    Interesting, I've used Sony and find their build quality to be excellent, and the new HTC 10 looks pretty good. The S7 looks pretty good as well, much better than the S6 which was a complete DUD imho (google ebay listings for confirmation).

You seem pretty set on not BlackBerry, had a bad experience in the past?
    Nah, I just personally prefer to stick to BlackBerries running OS 10. That said, the "Rome" and "Hamburgh" look great, but won't be my cup of tea. My alternate choices at this point would be an LG V10, note 4 or Lumia 950XL.
    05-12-16 11:11 PM
    No keyboard, no BB10 then I won't buy. Really simple. Why should I downgrade from my Q10? I need a solid, reliable communication device. So far no 'droid device fits the bill, I don't care who's brand is on it.
    05-12-16 11:30 PM
    Nah, I just personally prefer to stick to BlackBerries running OS 10. That said, the "Rome" and "Hamburgh" look great, but won't be my cup of tea. My alternate choices at this point would be an LG V10, note 4 or Lumia 950XL.
    So, all touch and not pkb is your preference? Just curious.
    05-12-16 11:45 PM
    No, not interested. Price is not the issue. It is, what for me, are the shortcomings of Android.
    05-12-16 11:49 PM
    They had better make then verizon compatible or they'll regret it.

Passport SE, "The BlockBerry" - Cricket Wireless
    I agree... they need to copy exactly what Google did with the NEXUS phones.

Of course some have been able to use the GSM PRIV on Verizon without issues. Now I imagine the coverage area would be limited to only areas that have LTE coverage and has HD Voice in place.

But yeah, in the US... Verizon is a HUGE supplier of cell coverage for business.
    05-13-16 08:02 AM
    No, not interested. Price is not the issue. It is, what for me, are the shortcomings of Android.
    So it's iOS for you?
    Bbnivende likes this.
    05-13-16 08:48 AM
    I'd buy the Rome, if it looks like a good value. It doesn't have to, and of course won't, have top-end components.

At the moment, I'm enjoying my $40 Lumia 640. Makes me wonder whether the Rome will be 10x better...
    Uzi and TgeekB like this.
    05-13-16 09:27 AM
    I don't care if it was free, I wouldn't use it, it is Android.
    05-13-16 09:43 AM
    So it's iOS for you?
    For me, I have a 950XL that will be my next device. I have tried it and I like it better than iOS and Android, but not as much as BB10. Continuum is great.
    TgeekB likes this.
    05-13-16 09:44 AM
    don't think I would pay 400 for an android device...I don't think so.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-16 10:10 AM
    Also thinking about getting the Lumia 950...

Posted via CB10
    05-13-16 10:11 AM
    So it's iOS for you?
    At this point in time, unknown. For a number of reasons. My group has a stock of Q's, so can ride out the wave. And who know what may happen in the future . . . . However, if I had to make a decision at this very instant, as your statements appears to demand, I would answer, "yes".

1. Bulk pricing is cheap as cheap as chips - certainly much more so than Blandroid.

2. Updates are controlled and consistent.

3. Can LOCK down the phone.

4. Works well out of the box.

5. Based on our experience when we set iPhone up for a couple of 1,000 phones for an acquired, Apple was responsive and extremely helpful.

Also, on a personal note, as I wrote elsewhere today, I am less than impressed with the supposed "high end" or "flagship" quality of the BB slider. I was expecting at the least a slider mechanism on par with the the 8800 or even the 8910 of decade ago: tight, smooth, crisp and so much a joy to play with that one was always fondling and playing with the device. Just my personal observation.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    05-13-16 11:00 AM
    For me, I have a 950XL that will be my next device. I have tried it and I like it better than iOS and Android, but not as much as BB10. Continuum is great.
    When the new flagships were starting to be rumored (almost a year ago). That's the direction I was leaning too. As I expected Windows 10 was going to give Microsoft the userbase so that the Windows Store would grow. I've been using a Windows Tablet now for 18 months and I really like... Windows, and being able to run a few real programs has been great.

But Verizon opted out of the Windows 10 line for now, and no developers aren't supporting Windows 10 yet. Most the apps I've been using on Windows 10 (and Windows 8.1) have been there the whole 18 months I've been using it... without an update. But phone choice was dictated by Verizon and work, so I went Android (Droid not PRIV). Maybe as Windows expands, maybe if the Surface Phones actually comes, maybe if developers see Windows as a viable platform... maybe one day. But I'm not buying into another platform hoping it will get better.
    05-13-16 11:10 AM
    Maybe as Windows expands, maybe if the Surface Phones actually comes, maybe if developers see Windows as a viable platform... maybe one day. But I'm not buying into another platform hoping it will get better.
    If I'd had to pay real money for a Windows phone, I wouldn't be using one. But being able to get a $40 phone that works pretty well is a different story. I get to see what I like and don't like, without feeling like I've been suckered.

From what little I've read, Microsoft is still treading water in the mobile space: making improvements to W10M, trying to get UWP apps lined up for the Surface line first. They're betting a lot on a coattail effect from that. I don't know if it will work, but there does seem to be some kind of strategy in place.

That said, I am seeing some app updates, although there do seem to be quite a few that have been lying stagnant for quite a while.

But for anyone else curious about W10M, I'd strongly suggest doing what I did: Pick up a cheap unlocked 640, don't expect high performance, and play with it for a while. They're cheap enough that you don't have to take the word of any reviewer as to what the experience is like. If you don't like it, donate it to a charity.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and ppeters914 like this.
    05-13-16 12:26 PM
    However, when you speak in terms of the general public, I feel the $400/mid-range devices are a great move...
    Providing they have a flagship praised by mainstream media...

No mid range phone has ever achieved market success without a strong footprint in the high end market from the same brand, not even Huawei Xiaomi and OnePlus, who was considered to be low-mid end providers. Their measurable successes came after they made repeat effort to tackle high end market.
    Ernest Xiang likes this.
    05-13-16 01:59 PM
    $ 849 cdn... and plus all that sales tax out there in Halifax!
    05-13-16 04:42 PM
89 1234