Short answer is: yes.

I want to replace my wife's Z10. I have already a PRIV, and she should join android as well.
    05-15-16 04:14 AM
    Sure, but few are buying his Priv. Even fewer than those who are buying 2-year old bb10 and even older BBOS phones even now.

So, his strategy isn't working. That's why Louks is gone and that's why BlackBerry apps In Google playstore have only 100000-500000 downloads while Chrome has ten thousand times more: 1B to 5B downloads. Yes ten thousand times more downloads.
    That tells you everything about the catastrophic failure android by BlackBerry has been.
    You're correct that Priv isn't selling well, but you're comparing 1 Blackberry/Android phone to many BB10 and BBOS phones so it's an unfair comparison. If these 2 new midrange phones don't increase sales then I'm with you. It's probably time to bail on hardware at that point.
    05-15-16 06:48 AM
    You're correct that Priv isn't selling well, but you're comparing 1 Blackberry/Android phone to many BB10 and BBOS phones so it's an unfair comparison. If these 2 new midrange phones don't increase sales then I'm with you. It's probably time to bail on hardware at that point.
    Someone might buy the hardware division and make PKB'S is another alternative.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-16 07:21 AM
    Someone might buy the hardware division and make PKB'S is another alternative.

Posted via CB10
    Well, they were already up for sale and no one was interested. You never know though, it could happen.
    Ronindan likes this.
    05-15-16 07:23 AM
    Well I shelled out $480 with tax for the Oh No We're Doomed Passport knowing all its limitations, and I'm happy with it (day fourth with the same battery charge), but brands like Blackberry need to understand the equation: it's 2016 and you can get a Nexus 5x on sale for $250, new, so to charge more you need to establish what you offer for a premium: how much is a good physical keyboard worth to your consumer? $50? $100? That makes it a $350 phone. More security? Prove it. In my case it was still too much money but I didn't want to miss out again on a mythical device, so the rest of the money is explained by what remains of my geek side, accumulated after years of making do with decent but also merely ok devices.

Given the security mess for most big companies, it's something they could offer, and there are still lots of opportunities for productivity, but this may be something they haven't really invested in: not generic office apps but specific workflow solutions, available to individuals and small companies at affordable prices, with monthly payments.
    05-15-16 12:17 PM
    About the only android device I would pay over $400 for is the Black phone.
    05-15-16 12:52 PM
    BlackBerry don't design chips.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2876
    Of course not. They don't seem to do software either. They just buy it from qualcomm and google...
    05-15-16 07:22 PM
    I made a mistake by buying an android device that wasn't BlackBerry. I'd pay more than 400 $ for BlackBerry to find out how somehow BlackBerry can make any difference

Posted via CB10
    05-15-16 08:48 PM
    Of course not. They don't seem to do software either. They just buy it from qualcomm and google...
    They do software, it was just too late. Chen only helped everyone to see that.
    05-19-16 07:09 AM
    My comments were about the drivers for Qualcomm chips which a lot of people here claim are too expensive to develop. I disagree.

If you cannot develop drivers cheaply, you can't claim you can develop software or that you are good at it.

Secondly, when you abandon your OS to use somebody else's you cannot claim you are good at writing software. Your are a champion at failure in software.

Third, when you acquire software companies for their products and customers and you haven't developed any new software product other than some android apps, you are a failure as a big software company.

At least they have developed new hardware under Chen, but software, none, zilch...
    Last edited by sorinv; 05-20-16 at 10:24 AM.
    Bluenoser63 likes this.
    05-19-16 07:27 AM
    I disagree with you though.

I think BlackBerry is strong software company lost in ecosystem war. It's like Apple lost the war against Wintel alliance back in 90s. Apple designed great software on desktop systems but they just didn't have the apps and accessories PC offer. Steve took that loss as an huge asset and used it in Smartphone market when BlackBerry had no idea about the importance of ecosystem.

You can say Apple was a bad company back in 90s but you can't say they were bad software companies.

It's the same thing here. BlackBerry 's BlackBerry 10 is still a great piece of software, it just doesn't have the ecosystem the market needs. They lost because their leaders were not experienced enough to compete in consumer electronics market, not because they developed bad software.

And the cost of developing driver is expensive for them because they can't sell in volumes. It's not expensive for Apple when Apple 's volume and profit margin are both on a different level.

05-19-16 08:30 AM
    I disagree with you though.

I think BlackBerry is strong software company lost in ecosystem war. It's like Apple lost the war against Wintel alliance back in 90s. Apple designed great software on desktop systems but they just didn't have the apps and accessories PC offer. Steve took that loss as an huge asset and used it in Smartphone market when BlackBerry had no idea about the importance of ecosystem.

You can say Apple was a bad company back in 90s but you can't say they were bad software companies.

It's the same thing here. BlackBerry 's BlackBerry 10 is still a great piece of software, it just doesn't have the ecosystem the market needs. They lost because their leaders were not experienced enough to compete in consumer electronics market, not because they developed bad software.

And the cost of developing driver is expensive for them because they can't sell in volumes. It's not expensive for Apple when Apple 's volume and profit margin are both on a different level.

Blackberry WAS a software company when they developed bb10.
    All of that ironically stopped with Chen who claims he is steering the company towards becoming a software only company while not developing ANY NEW software product other than some android apps.
    He has actually developed MORE hardware products than software products, albeit not selling them for obvious reasons: BlackBerry name and poor marketing and pricing.
    Bluenoser63 likes this.
    05-20-16 10:28 AM
    I wouldn't. Once upon a time I would but after the Priv's shortcomings, I don't think I would pull that trigger. I think they should just stick to software. Maybe if they made a Passport 2 type of device, I would consider it.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-20-16 01:26 PM
    400 means I could get a 2 year tab probably for 150 or so, so if the phone had a PKB then yes. Would love something in a passport format.

I don't need the newest specs, but I want a descent camera.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-16 09:02 AM
89 ... 234