Why Not
    05-13-16 04:48 PM
    I wouldn't pay $400 for anything with Android on it.

That pretty much leaves only WinMo, which suffers from many of the same ailments that Android does, and offers far fewer apps as well.
    05-13-16 04:54 PM
    Yes, $400 is not a lot of money.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-16 05:51 PM
    I do, if I have $400. I don't have them. I'm just a student on semester break sitting on my parents couch doing nothing. So Priv is not for people like me. Unless I win some contests of course but that would only be in my dreams. LOL

Posted via CB10
    05-13-16 05:51 PM
    Keyword : drivers.
    Would cost a ton...

Posted via CB10
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying to reinvent the wheel or revise the plans for BlackBerry 10 ( although I would like to).
    But, there are folk who have older BlackBerry 10 devices. And they have stated that they're willing to use those devices till they're no longer supported. That being the case, if BlackBerry would bring a new device spec'd and priced with in reason, with an optional OS platform, I believe there would be buyers.
    As far as old software or updates; BlackBerry 10 users have been successfully dealing with app gaps, push backs and delays, yet the Passport is still selling relatively well. So the question is ; for the next 2 years ( give or take) if I'm willing to purchase the Passport on BlackBerry 10, why wouldn't I be willing to run BlackBerry10 on a more updated device using a different Form Factor. Was that ever an option given?
    So, the option could be for those willing: to run BlackBerry 10 (for as long as it exists with the previously planned updates) using a more updated device priced to sell.
    If their going to make the device anyway, make it available to more buyers. And if the OS is chosen by the uesrs, (on basically a blank slate device) , is there any agrees saying that could not be done. I really don't know.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by KNEBB; 05-14-16 at 09:34 PM.
    05-13-16 08:07 PM
    I don't buy the idea that drivers are overly difficult and expensive to develop...
    05-13-16 08:10 PM
    I don't buy the idea that drivers are overly difficult and expensive to develop...
    They probably aren't outrageously expensive to actually develop, test, and deploy. But the chip manufacturers charge a lot for them because they can - it is a major revenue source.
    05-13-16 08:31 PM
    Driver development is time consuming and requires a special skill set to get it right. And this skill set is in high demand, so yeah, it's expensive to develop drivers

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2876
    05-13-16 08:46 PM
    So, all touch and not pkb is your preference? Just curious.
    Physical keyboards are my preference, but it's too bad that there's no 6" phone with a trackpad, keyboard, 4K camera and removable battery currently available. That said, I'd probably still take a BlackBerry Passport if it were given to me.
    anon(9353145) likes this.
    05-13-16 10:03 PM
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying to reinvent the wheel or revise the plans for BlackBerry 10 ( although I would like to).
    But, there are folk who have older BlackBerry 10 devices. And they have stated that they're willing to use those devices till they're no longer supported. That being the case, if BlackBerry would bring a new device spec'd and priced with in reason, with an optional OS platform, I believe there would be buyers.
    As far as old software or updates; BlackBerry 10 users have been successfully dealing with app gaps, push backs and delays, yet the Passport is still selling relatively well. So the question is ; for the next 2 years ( give or take) if I'm willing to purchase the Passport on BlackBerry 10, why would I be willing to run BlackBerry10 on a more updated device using a different Form Factor. Was that ever an option given?
    So, the option could be for those willing: to run BlackBerry 10 (for as long as it exists with the previously planned updates) using a more updated device priced to sell.
    If their going to make the device anyway, make it available to more buyers. And if the OS is chosen by the uesrs, (on basically a blank slate device) , is there any agrees saying that could not be done. I really don't know.

Posted via CB10
    If there were many many enterprise users wanting BB10, it would happen but they don't and it won't.
    05-13-16 10:21 PM
    Physical keyboards are my preference, but it's too bad that there's no 6" phone with a trackpad, keyboard, 4K camera and removable battery currently available. That said, I'd probably still take a BlackBerry Passport if it were given to me.
    That would be one monster sized device, ha.
    05-13-16 10:36 PM
    I am willing to pay 1000 dollars for a new high end BB10 Os Passport II or full touch one.

Posted via CB10
    Asvertus and Alain_A like this.
    05-14-16 04:02 AM
    When the new flagships were starting to be rumored (almost a year ago). That's the direction I was leaning too. As I expected Windows 10 was going to give Microsoft the userbase so that the Windows Store would grow. I've been using a Windows Tablet now for 18 months and I really like... Windows, and being able to run a few real programs has been great.

But Verizon opted out of the Windows 10 line for now, and no developers aren't supporting Windows 10 yet. Most the apps I've been using on Windows 10 (and Windows 8.1) have been there the whole 18 months I've been using it... without an update. But phone choice was dictated by Verizon and work, so I went Android (Droid not PRIV). Maybe as Windows expands, maybe if the Surface Phones actually comes, maybe if developers see Windows as a viable platform... maybe one day. But I'm not buying into another platform hoping it will get better.
    Windows developers are supporting Windows 10 and since Windows 10 apps can run on XBOX, Surface, and PC, they will be supporting the phone too. Windows has it right with cross device programming.
    TgeekB likes this.
    05-14-16 05:49 AM
    Neither do I. There are specifications for these chipsets. Chipset manufactures need to compete against each other and if they don't publish the calls to the chips, then no one will develop for them. The driver cost was another BS statement by Chen.
    05-14-16 05:51 AM
    $ 849 cdn... and plus all that sales tax out there in Halifax!
    so? Less than a iPhone with comparable features. I rather pay that than free for an Android.
    05-14-16 06:00 AM
    so? Less than a iPhone with comparable features. I rather pay that than free for an Android.
    Sure whatever floats your boat. Added advantage will be true exclusivity in Canada.

Windows 10 phones remind me of BlackBerry circa 2014 after the first major OS upgrade.
    05-14-16 08:48 AM
    Neither do I. There are specifications for these chipsets. Chipset manufactures need to compete against each other and if they don't publish the calls to the chips, then no one will develop for them. The driver cost was another BS statement by Chen.
    Indeed. This driver cost BS keeps popping up too frequently on crackberry.
    05-14-16 10:07 AM
    They generally release drivers for popular OSs such as Windows, Linux, OS X, Android, etc., for unpopular ones, it's actually not that easy to port it over and test it thoroughly. Sometimes you would rather do it over yourself from scratch. I know this because I lead a team of firmware developers, this is my domain.
    Ernest Xiang likes this.
    05-14-16 07:12 PM
    Yes, but driver design is a tenth of the cost of the chip design, at best.
    So it's nothing, even for BlackBerry.
    05-14-16 09:01 PM
    Obviously BlackBerry feels that they can make a profit with Android phones. It is their decision and risk.

The Android BlackBerry smartphone will cost less to bring to market than smartphones on the BlackBerry 10 operating system, Chen said. "Because a lot of the drivers for all of the chip sets are already in place, I don't have to spend any time, energy and money for drivers."

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    05-14-16 10:49 PM
    Obviously BlackBerry feels that they can make a profit with Android phones. It is their decision and risk.

The Android BlackBerry smartphone will cost less to bring to market than smartphones on the BlackBerry 10 operating system, Chen said. "Because a lot of the drivers for all of the chip sets are already in place, I don't have to spend any time, energy and money for drivers."

Posted via CB10
    Sure, but few are buying his Priv. Even fewer than those who are buying 2-year old bb10 and even older BBOS phones even now.

So, his strategy isn't working. That's why Louks is gone and that's why BlackBerry apps In Google playstore have only 100000-500000 downloads while Chrome has ten thousand times more: 1B to 5B downloads. Yes ten thousand times more downloads.
    That tells you everything about the catastrophic failure android by BlackBerry has been.
    05-14-16 11:36 PM
    BlackBerry don't design chips.

Superfly_FR likes this.
    05-15-16 12:49 AM
    Sure, but few are buying his Priv. Even fewer than those who are buying 2-year old bb10 and even older BBOS phones even now.

So, his strategy isn't working. That's why Louks is gone and that's why BlackBerry apps In Google playstore have only 100000-500000 downloads while Chrome has ten thousand times more: 1B to 5B downloads. Yes ten thousand times more downloads.
    That tells you everything about the catastrophic failure android by BlackBerry has been.
    Android strategy is probably the best option they had at the time, it was clear to them BB 10 strategy was a dead end... Going Android they may have a chance.

I wish they picked a high end full touch design as their first Android... in that case I would have jumped in right away.

Alain_A likes this.
    05-15-16 12:55 AM
    That makes it very expensive especially when you check it in a country like India. Plus the high taxes... India is a very price sensitive market.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-15-16 02:29 AM
    wouldn't even spend a penny on Android, not even for an App if someone would give me a Google-OS for free!

actual, before someone ask, no wouldn't do so for iOS or M$ either!

Posted either via -Passport SQW100-1 or -Classic SQC100-1 / 10.3.++
    05-15-16 03:04 AM
89 1234