The logical endpoint of device convergence is a single pocket computer that can be used anywhere. Neither iOS or Android are robust enough to meet that need. Windows, MacOS, and Linux are.

Posted via CB10
    Maybe, also a pocket computer with 5g cellular capabilities, running say - a Blackberry 11 os !!!!
    Also i read somewhere that Google is merging Android & chrome.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    08-15-16 02:43 AM
    How's HP's build quality with phones? As bad as most of their laptops?

If, then, no thanks. Any info? :-)

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    Well, i hav a hp core i5 laptop. Bought it from the US, its been 5 years i guess, no issues yet.
    But that's my only hp experience.

08-15-16 02:49 AM
    No. Just another weak mobile OS, like BB10, Android and iOS, but without the apps.

I'll happily buy a Windows phone when it runs true Windows software, not a gimped version that just looks like it.

Microsoft is on the right track, but they need hardware to improve to run real windows on mobile. 2-3 years, I estimate.

Posted via CB10
    So you have ruled out iOS, Android, Windows, and even BB10. May you share with us this wonderbread OS you are using?
    I like Windows Mobile OS but I cannot seriously use it because of the lack of apps. It is even worse than BlackBerry 10; and I actually checked their app store to see if I can get by.

There are also some apps on BlackBerry 10 that are not found else where that I would like to keep with my BlackBerry too.

Posted via CB10
    I'm interested. Like which ones?
    08-15-16 03:33 AM
    So you have ruled out iOS, Android, Windows, and even BB10. May you share with us this wonderbread OS you are using?
    I'm using all three of them, with BB10 as my primary. And not one of them can hold a candle to MacOS, Windows 10, or Linux. That's my point. For now, due to hardware limitations, we're stuck with mobile-only OSes that force us to use dozens of single purpose apps that don't interoperate well. That's why I prefer to keep my mobile phone simple. It's just for communication and Web browsing when away from a real computer.

Posted via CB10
    08-15-16 03:41 AM
    Maybe, also a pocket computer with 5g cellular capabilities, running say - a Blackberry 11 os !!!!
    Also i read somewhere that Google is merging Android & chrome.

BB 11 OS? Where have you been for the last few years.
    08-15-16 04:14 AM
    I'm using all three of them, with BB10 as my primary. And not one of them can hold a candle to MacOS, Windows 10, or Linux. That's my point. For now, due to hardware limitations, we're stuck with mobile-only OSes that force us to use dozens of single purpose apps that don't interoperate well. That's why I prefer to keep my mobile phone simple. It's just for communication and Web browsing when away from a real computer.

Posted via CB10
    It will be a while until we can see the full power of PC OSs on phones, but we're getting there quickly. If windows on phones is half what it is on PCs, I would never use anything else.
    08-15-16 04:16 AM
    BB 11 OS? Where have you been for the last few years.
    Well, i mean v never can b sure wot d future holds. And i want to be absurdly optimistic where BB is concerned.
    Before 2007, Bb & nokia were the iphone & android of today.
    Bb has now become a software company (according to Chen) & one can expect an Os from a sw company.
    Maybe they start licencing their security sw to Chinese phones, that give 'flagship' specs at half the price.
    And with an updated Android runtime, slowly replace Android with a new Os.
    I just mock-named this new OS's as BB11.
    China is not all that Google friendly, and may welcome a new os, another contender is the Sailfish Os.
    All this is just hypothetical.
    But miracles do happen.
    Anyway, do check out - Oneplus 3.

08-15-16 05:24 AM
    Ill have my eye on it. Android is not an option so its iOS or Windows only. I much rather NOT iOS but MS really needs a surface phone and some major refinements in the OS.
    08-15-16 07:21 AM
    Ill have my eye on it. Android is not an option so its iOS or Windows only. I much rather NOT iOS but MS really needs a surface phone and some major refinements in the OS.
    What MS needs is 3rd party developer support... and support from Carriers.

Sadly like BlackBerry... they have taken too long to get a product to market. And their stumbling along the way has given their mobile product line a very negative perception.

The SURFACE line has helped... but I don't know if that is more of a Laptop replacement and not seen as a mobile solution? But the simple truth is the app store is dying...
    skinnymike1 and MikeX74 like this.
    08-15-16 07:54 AM
    I highly doubt that Microsoft will try to muscle its way into the current Android/iOS consumer space the way BlackBerry did. Blackberry had very little choice at the time, as it was trying to regain dominance (many would say relevance!) in its core market. But Microsoft doesn't have to force the equation in the same way. That's why they have dialed back their current Windows Mobile efforts, based on the legacy of Nokia, to "life support" levels.

However, in my opinion it's an inescapable fact that we are approaching the end of the first generation of smartphone OSes, and that the future belongs to a convergence of mobile and full-featured "anywhere" computing. The likely players will be MacOS/iOS, Android/Chrome, and Windows 10.

Notice that only one of those is currently a) a single product with an existing convergence path; b) not conflicted by worries of a negative impact on an existing "cash cow" app store.

I believe for both these reasons that Microsoft will be first to market with a fully converged single OS model by 2018-2019, and that, if done properly, it will be a game changer.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by bb10adopter111; 08-15-16 at 09:10 AM.
    08-15-16 08:48 AM
    Well, i mean v never can b sure wot d future holds. And i want to be absurdly optimistic where BB is concerned.
    Before 2007, Bb & nokia were the iphone & android of today.
    Bb has now become a software company (according to Chen) & one can expect an Os from a sw company.
    Maybe they start licencing their security sw to Chinese phones, that give 'flagship' specs at half the price.
    And with an updated Android runtime, slowly replace Android with a new Os.
    I just mock-named this new OS's as BB11.
    China is not all that Google friendly, and may welcome a new os, another contender is the Sailfish Os.
    All this is just hypothetical.
    But miracles do happen.
    Anyway, do check out - Oneplus 3.

Indeed BB is a software company and you can expect software and apps but you can't expect a newer OS when the old one is not making the phones attractive enough to sell.. The move to android emphasizes what I'm saying. BB OS won't get the company anywhere due to the lack of apps.. They've been there, they've tried in all ways possible (Which actually made it worst).. If they had given up on BB OS earlier on, the brand wouldn't have been washed up like now.. But hey, Hats off for trying, now we move on and hope for the best with android so we can still see devices.. Maybe, just maybe we see another BB10 device who knows, but BB11?.. Even My wildest dreams don't go there.

All the prominent Chinese brands sell android phones, doesn't get more friendly than that.. Companies aren't into liking and disliking.. Companies are into $$.. They get an open source OS and all they've to do is the hardware.. Doesn't get easier than that.. This allowed the fierce competition we see right now.. Ladies & Gents if Android didn't exist, even the Chinese won't be able to give you cheap high range phones like we see now..

Now if they go crazy and adopt it, this still won't get developers & companies to develop the apps for it.. The Chinese are content with what sells.. Android sells.. Why leave an OS with millions of apps and go with one that doesn't even have FB.. They won't be deviating from the android course unless something radical happens.. The phone market is quite unpredictable but I can see the status quo remaining for a long time... Android Vs iOS.

Ik all about the OnePlus 3, Great hardware but a very generic design for me.. Design, Performance & battery are the most important factors for me.. OnePlus 3 fails in design.. Axon 7 is a better option.
    08-15-16 08:59 AM

I'm interested. Like which ones?
    My bank CIBC
    Pebble smartwatch app
    Brother printer
    Kakaotalk messaging
    BBM messaging

Posted via CB10
    08-15-16 09:14 AM
    I highly doubt that Microsoft will try to muscle it's way into the current Android/iOS consumer space the way BlackBerry did. Blackberry had very little choice at the time, as it was trying to regain dominance (many would say relevance!) in its core market. But Microsoft doesn't have to force the equation in the same way. That's why they have dialed back their current Windows Mobile efforts, based on the legacy of Nokia, to "life support" levels.

However, in my opinion it's an inescapable fact that we are approaching the end of the first generation of smartphone OSes, and that the future belongs to a convergence of mobile and full-featured "anywhere" computing. The likely players will be MacOS/iOS, Android/Chrome, and Windows 10.

Notice that only one of those is currently a) a single product with an existing convergence path; b) not conflicted by worries of a negative impact on an existing "cash cow" app store.

I believe for both these reasons that Microsoft will be first to market with a fully converged single OS model by 2018-2019, and that, if done properly, it will be a game changer.

Posted via CB10
    That's a very interesting explanation & quite similar to my version.
    Just that, i feel there are more candidates in the game than those mentioned by you.
    Ubuntu & Sailfish r there very much.
    And H5OS is being developed, it advertises to be the os of the IoT era.
    And the most unique one - the Phantom Os- from Russia, it has a completely different approach to computing, or so the developers boast.
    It wud b interesting 2 follow the game of Os-s.
    And then there is BB10 .

08-15-16 09:22 AM
    That's a very interesting explanation & quite similar to my version.
    Just that, i feel there are more candidates in the game than those mentioned by you.
    Ubuntu & Sailfish r there very much.
    And H5OS is being developed, it advertises to be the os of the IoT era.
    And the most unique one - the Phantom Os- from Russia, it has a completely different approach to computing, or so the developers boast.
    It wud b interesting 2 follow the game of Os-s.
    And then there is BB10 .

Honestly, regardless of their technical merits, it seems very unlikely to me that and of the other OSes you mention will be able to steal marketshare from the three major players I mentioned. It's not nearly enough to build a great product. The winners will be the companies with the most robust partnerships with manufacturers, developers, consultants and customers.

Both Apple and Android have huge mountains to climb already (Apple has to integrate iOS with MacOS. (If it was easy they would have done it with the iPad Pro!). And Google has to both integrate Android and Chrome AND demonstrate that Chrome is suitable for tasks beyond browsing and running lightweight apps.

Linux's problem is that there is not enough money in distribution to attract the partners needed to give it a mainstream presence. I suspect the same is true for the other players you mention.

Posted via CB10
    08-15-16 09:45 AM
    I've used Windows Phone in the past, and I thought it was great until they stopped supporting my device. I don't tend to use many apps, so that wouldn't be a problem for me, but all that being said, I still wouldn't switch to this device because, among other things, Windows 10 lacks any degree of control over app permissions.
    08-15-16 10:05 AM
    I've used Windows Phone in the past, and I thought it was great until they stopped supporting my device. I don't tend to use many apps, so that wouldn't be a problem for me, but all that being said, I still wouldn't switch to this device because, among other things, Windows 10 lacks any degree of control over app permissions.
    Windows Phone has had app permissions since 8.1 update 2
    08-15-16 10:18 AM
    No HP products in my house!!!

Posted via CB10
    haha a former palm user with reasons - webOS 4 ever
    08-15-16 11:45 AM
    Passport slider,with the best camera on the Market!!:-)

Sent from my 5 star BlackBerry Passport
    blackmass likes this.
    08-15-16 12:32 PM
    If only Continuum wasn't so useless. If it ran full Windows programs it might actually be interesting. Oh and that price is ridiculous.
    08-15-16 02:14 PM

Posted via CB10
    I see what you mean, but I think that is the problem. You are holding mobile OS and desktop OS to the same standard when they are clearly different from each other. I wouldn't compare a hybrid and wonder why it doesn't perform as a Mustang car.

But I don't know what I can't accomplish on my Q10 that I wouldn't on my laptop. I could type papers if I wanted to, I check my banking, I log onto my school websites and view PowerPoint slides for class, I actually can edit pictures better and faster on my phone, etc. I can scarcely think what I can't do on my Q10 that I could do on my laptop. But again I am not that an extensive user of computers though I do agree on your interoperating comment.

My bank CIBC
    Pebble smartwatch app
    Brother printer
    Kakaotalk messaging
    BBM messaging

Posted via CB10
    Huh, I didn't even know BlackBerry had smartwatch apps. You learn every day. Thanks for sharing.|

But wait, you can get BBM on Android now. It's not exclusive to BlackBerry devices anymore.
    Last edited by skinnymike1; 08-15-16 at 06:32 PM.
    08-15-16 06:14 PM
    I see what you mean, but I think that is the problem. You are holding mobile OS and desktop OS to the same standard when they are clearly different from each other. I wouldn't compare a hybrid and wonder why it doesn't perform as a Mustang car.

But I don't know what I can't accomplish on my Q10 that I wouldn't on my laptop. I could type papers if I wanted to, I check my banking, I log onto my school websites and view PowerPoint slides for class, I actually can edit pictures better and faster on my phone, etc. I can scarcely think what I can't do on my Q10 that I could do on my laptop. But again I am not that an extensive user of computers though I do agree on your interoperating comment.
    I'm not equating the two. My situation is almost the opposite of yours. I spend 4-6 hours a day doing work that can only be done on a real PC, and I see the current mobile OSes as simple communication tools for times when a real computer is unavailable or inconvenient. That's why BB10 (running no Android apps) is still the best option for me, and why I'm not at all excited about any of the developments in iOS or Android.

I'm happy that BlackBerry is investing in Android so that I'll have a phone to go to alter my z10 dies. But I won't get excited about any phone until it can run "real" software applications.

Posted via CB10
    08-15-16 07:53 PM
    Okay, I see what you mean. That is granted. So do you work in IT or a software developer? Because even then there are some apps you can use to help mitigate the lack of using a real PC.
    08-15-16 08:11 PM
    I had to look the phone up.

It looks like a BOSS.

I haven't even played with a Windows 10 phone but my understanding from others is that they have a buttery smooth UI, play well with Windows 10, and don't require as much battery and spec as android phones... sounds like a BlackBerry to me.

BUT I'm pretty dependant on BlackBerry everything and apparently you have to spend a few hundred more to get a PKB (which is the size of a laptop) so while I wish Microsoft luck, I may have to pass.

I haven't seen anything yet that puts my Priv in a drawer.

Ride or die:  PRIVelege-acy
    08-15-16 08:40 PM
    HP has come up with a Windows 10 Mobile phone, with full enterprise features - the Elite x3.

That's interesting. Take a look at this vid. If MS is working on this then it's a true game changer. I hope it happens soon. It will be my next device after my SE Passport.

TMO  PP SE,SQW100-4/10.3.2.2876
    Last edited by mrlahjr; 08-15-16 at 10:07 PM.
    08-15-16 09:15 PM
    Okay I watched both videos. Pretty amazing setup.

I bought a hp12c in college. That was in the late 80s and it still works and I think they are still sold. I bought an hp laptop in the early 2000s and it was a heap of junk when it came out of the box and throughout its short life.

So I need a tie breaker. But not one 6 inches diagonal. There are limits. I don't want to be the first guy who gets hit by a bus because his cell phone blocks 180 degrees of his visual field. That's Darwin award territory.

So, still holding onto my Priv. Clicky screen and all.

Ride or die:  PRIVelege-acy
    blackmass likes this.
    08-15-16 09:33 PM
61 123