I have been using smartphones for some years now, and my Bold and Iphone have just about replaced my laptop in the last year. Now I am thinking of ditching my smartphone and getting a netbook. They are small enough to travel with, more memory, more power, better web experience, video calling, text messaging, GPS, the works. Has anyone put away their smartphone for a netbook? Any downfalls/issues I'm not seeing?
    11-12-09 10:19 AM
    Not no but h.e.l.l. no.

Not into carrying more than one device unless I absolutely have to.
    11-12-09 10:24 AM
    IMO, no. I can't put a netbook in my pocket or hold it up to my ear and talk to people (comfortably). Smartphones are so small and portable and do just about everything so why give that up for a larger screen/keyboard? Now if you're watching movies all day on a plane, then maybe.
    11-12-09 10:32 AM
    Not no but h.e.l.l. no.
    I second that.
    11-12-09 10:34 AM
    I'd get a netbook if I wanted/needed a netbook but it wouldn't replace my phone.
    11-12-09 10:37 AM
    I went the other way; I used to have a netbook and a cellphone, but after getting a Blackberry I found that I didn't need the netbook anymore.
    I've found each device has it's strengths.
    My personal preference is to travel lightly.
    11-12-09 10:50 AM
    Not no but h.e.l.l. no..
    Agreed

When I had my Sony Ericsson P800, P900, P910I and P990i I would have made the swap but the Blackberry is far more powerful and does everything I need it to so there'd be no swapping for me.

I have a laptop for when I went a computer and my Blackberry serves as my phone and my mobile on-line device.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-12-09 11:02 AM
    Not no but h.e.l.l. no.

My first thought exactly. I carry one device today for the convenience and the size.
    11-12-09 11:04 AM
    A netbook wouldn't even replace my laptop, much less my phone.

Surely one day we will all have one device that does it all but until then, I'm gonna stick with a few gadgets that perform different actions flawlessly.
    11-12-09 11:07 AM
    No, my Blackberry keeps me online when I travel.
    11-12-09 11:07 AM
    I use both for different reasons. My netbook goes with me on trips that require heavy note taking or standards reviews. While I can do them on my smartphone, it just isn't as comfortable or easy. I find I will resort back to Dead Tree Form before doing long work on the smartphone (even with a bluetooth keyboard).
    11-12-09 11:18 AM
    I have both. Netbook was first for work. Then I got my first BB. I would give up my netbook for a Berry but never the other way around.
    11-12-09 11:28 AM
    I don't think a netbook was really designed to replace your phone? I see the netbook as an option for the frequent traveler with an option to replace the heavy laptop and yet still give them the on the road or in flight ability to get work done. I would like to see the phone replace the netbook and just have more hook up options to display what you need or want at a job site or whatever it is. Portable displays and keyboards that bluetooth to my blackberry would be very ideal for me to bring to a business presentation. Or if I was working of site. Just my thoughts!
    11-12-09 11:37 AM
    Maybe I should have been clearer. I was thinking of using just my plain flip phone that I got from work and a netbook. I would still make calls on my cell, but use the netbook for everything else. I rarely make calls. I use about 200-300 minutes per month. I was wondering if the netbook was something that people enjoyed over just having a smartphone.
    11-12-09 11:42 AM
    Not no but h.e.l.l. no.

I wouldn't carry both devices either. When I am at work, I usually leave my work cellphone in my car because that is the only time I would use it. At home, I'm really not carrying my devices. So, for me, it wouldn't seem like I was carrying two devices everywhere. But I see your point.
    11-12-09 11:45 AM
    No need for the netbook, especially the associated bill that comes with it.

Almost anything I've ever really needed a computer for can be accomplished on my BB.

Besides, it would be pretty hard to make a call on a netbook from underneath a frozen trailer.

11-12-09 11:53 AM
    IMO, no. I can't put a netbook in my pocket or hold it up to my ear and talk to people (comfortably). Smartphones are so small and portable and do just about everything so why give that up for a larger screen/keyboard? Now if you're watching movies all day on a plane, then maybe.
    I agree. I think a netbook is a great compliment to the smart phone if you are a business person, a writer or something along those lines that you would need to carry a device like that. I think laptops are great but now the netbooks are the perfect size for a small "manbag" or a neoprene case to carry by hand. They are very easy to carry around...thinking about getting one myself so that I can use it with a money app that will work for both my BB and laptop...I currently own a Mac and there aren't any money programs that will work with both and I really don't want to put windows stuff on my Mac.
    11-12-09 12:10 PM
    I wonder 1) How easy it would be to have the Netbook for internet access anywhere. 2) Making phone calls anywhere from the Netbook. 3) Battery Life.

The main issue I see is that you would have to have a wireless card of some sort. You could go around and use WiFi hotspots, but that means having limited access sometimes. If you get a wireless data card for your Netbook, they usually have a 5GB limit and additional charges per MB after that. A BlackBerry rarely goes over 5GB with its smaller amount of data transferred - I would think it would be easy to go over 5MB on a NetBook, making it much more of an expensive switch.

I'm sure you could do Skype, or another SIP app from your NetBook, but that would mean having the netbook running all the time, and having either wifi or wireless data running all the time. How long does a NetBook battery last?

Personally, I like all the features that are on my BB. I can do more now with my Tour than I could with my 8830WE. The only limit I see right now is lack of Wifi on the Tour (until the essex comes out), and doing some of the more intensive apps that I use on my BB (payroll, business accounting, image editing...). For that, I either carry my laptop with me, or in a pinch, use RDM+.

I like having all that capability right on my hip.
    Last edited by Xopher; 11-12-09 at 03:22 PM.
    11-12-09 03:20 PM
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

11-12-09 03:22 PM
    No ways I love my phone
    11-12-09 04:22 PM
    Never. I had a HP Netbook for a while and sold it about a year later. Yes, it was a great size and convenient...but I simply didn't like it - too many sacrifices from a regular laptop..but then again nothing compares to my macbook I can't even imagine giving up my phone for it!
    11-12-09 04:29 PM
    Nope I wouldn't either . Phone wins over netbook

11-12-09 04:36 PM
    Never. I had a HP Netbook for a while and sold it about a year later. Yes, it was a great size and convenient...but I simply didn't like it - too many sacrifices from a regular laptop..but then again nothing compares to my macbook I can't even imagine giving up my phone for it!
    You made more sacrifices going from your laptop to a netbook than you would from a laptop to your smartphone?
    11-12-09 06:45 PM
    I second that.
    I 1,000,0000 that
    11-12-09 08:30 PM
    Oh yeah, no by the way
    11-12-09 08:31 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD