Yes. It would be pretty awesome

standalone wouldn't pick up that much, but as BB10 extension (fully costomized for desktop, running from a phone) would be awesome
    01-27-14 02:37 AM
    Absolutely not, the os is not even remotely close to being powerful or flexible enough to be a desktop.
    01-27-14 02:48 AM
    Mods - shut this down. The realists around here know this would never happen. Shut it down before it turns into "trending now".

Posted via CB10 on 10.2.1.1898
    01-27-14 02:50 AM
    I'd love to have BlackBerry support Linux, but I know they can't - too many flavours of Linux, plus security issues, since Linux is open source. Which is why my desktop and laptop are both dual boot - I need Windows for BB Link.

The last thing BB needs to do right now is create its own desktop OS - they've learned their lesson that without an app ecosystem, the best technology gets left behind. I think what they're aiming for is to do away with desktops altogether - plug your phone into a monitor and a keyboard and type away. They need to offer a full Office suite and something like QuickBooks, and they'll move a lot of people away from the clunky boxes on or under the desks.
    Linux is secure, I'm not sure what you mean by security issue, unless you mean security issue if blackberry run something on Linux, but still, doesn't mean Linux is open source, that everything that run on it need to be open source too. I would say Linux is one of the most secure os on the market that's why lots of server are using it.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-27-14 04:33 AM
    You mean a playbook hooked to a screen with HDMI out, bluetooth keyboard, bluetooth mouse? And when you go on the road you just disconnect everything drop the playbook in your bag and go?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9330
    01-27-14 06:01 AM
    No need to hate on my post because it's popular. This is DISCUSSION. I didn't say "BlackBerry is making a desktop" I just asked what if. So I'm not spreading any rumors.

I ordered a microhdmi to hdmi and also micro hdmi to vga. With bluetooth keyboard and mouse, I don't see howbb can't do this. Sure it won't be a powerhouse but I could see some low level work getting done. Look at evernote presentation mode.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using CB Forums mobile app
    01-27-14 06:52 AM
    I guess if it was possible to hook up my phone to a USB hub and an external drive then maybe. I know that the Z30 can do it, but not as efficient as it will be in the future. Also, I would require a full Office Suite and Torrent / Video support.

I guess what I'm saying is no to desktop O/S, but once phone hardware and software are advanced enough then I would not buy another computer because the phone would do 95% of what I need.

Posted via CB10
    01-27-14 07:00 AM
    As it is now it would be less useful than a chrombook and I'd never get one of those.

What is this desktop gong to offer over windows and mac's? Or even Linux for that matter?
    01-27-14 07:08 AM
    Not in Balckberrys current state of .....everything
    01-27-14 07:13 AM
    No, but I may be interested in a low-power mobile thin client, with built-in radio etc., if the price was right. Something like the wyse x90m7, but with better battery life thanks to a super-efficient ARM chip.
    01-27-14 07:26 AM
    OP might as well have asked if anyone would buy a Hyundai desktop...or maybe a Chef Boyardee desktop, because those are just as likely as a Blackberry desktop.
    01-27-14 08:13 AM
    I would, but only if they investment time and money into a desktop operating system. If they could get the whole BB10 feel in a Desktop OS environment I would switch in a second. Oh, and if it could support most of my games I play haha.

Even if BlackBerry released another 7" or 10" tablet, I would buy it for sure. I love BB10 and it made me sad that they didn't deliver on there promise to bring BB10 to the tablet.
    01-27-14 08:28 AM
    At this point, no. Windows and Mac are better supported. A BB10 desktop OS wouldn't offer much over them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    01-27-14 08:36 AM
    The PlayBook killed the computer for me, only use it at tax time and find it cumbersome and outdated, I think a full featured tablet that can run full tilt without a hiccup would be great with bb10 as the baseline and some killer productivity apps.

Posted via CB10
    01-27-14 08:40 AM
    I would absolutely look at a BlackBerry Desktop/laptop. I'm constantly swiping gestures on my windows 8 laptop already. A seamless BB experience from phone to Laptop sounds pretty great to me!
    01-27-14 08:41 AM
    I don't think I'd want a BlackBerry desktop computer.

What I would like, however, is a BlackBerry web suite, complete with blackberry.net email, calendar, contacts, etc. I'd certainly use that. Before BB10 was released, I really hoped that something like this would be coming: a BlackBerry PIM cloud ecosystem. I'd pay for it, too, to keep it ad-free.

That seems to be something BlackBerry could do to improve its position without getting into another hardware venture. After all, the "desktop" is all about what you can do on it.
    kbz1960 and BlackBerry Guy like this.
    01-27-14 08:45 AM
    What I would really like is some sort ability to project my hub onto a desktop and then use a keyboard and mouse to reply. I know BlackBerry is working on this and if they can pull this off, it would be brilliant. It would be a great way to differentiate themselves from the rest of the pack.

Posted via CB10
    For the hell of it, I ordered a USB adapter cable (couple of euros) and inserted the logitech wireless receiver into my Z30. In 2 seconds, my wireless mouse was working fine! I imagine that I could have an HDMI cable to a big screen and a wireless keyboard/mouse combo connected to the Z30 and do a lot of serious HUB driven messaging!

It's a start towards mobile computing, anyways. Docs2Go is OK for viewing, but for editing I would need more, so to truly replace a laptop, it would need more powerful software (and hence, more powerful hardware, 64-bit maybe, even). But it is a start and I will have to devote some time to exploring this angle.

But a real, powerful desktop (can be a regular hardware thing) that I could manage with a QNX/BB10 software environment and that would support the applications I need (Adobe Creative Suite, MS Office, some Audio production tools) could be a winner. But a lot would have to happen to make that a reality...
    01-27-14 08:56 AM
    No I wouldn't BlackBerry can't even get BBM right what makes you think they can make a desktop

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry has BBM right.....oh you mean the free service to non paying customers....ie non BlackBerry users and mainly BlackBerry haters? Who cares!

Posted via CB10
    01-27-14 08:58 AM
    I don't think I'd want a BlackBerry desktop computer.

What I would like, however, is a BlackBerry web suite, complete with blackberry.net email, calendar, contacts, etc. I'd certainly use that. Before BB10 was released, I really hoped that something like this would be coming: a BlackBerry PIM cloud ecosystem. I'd pay for it, too, to keep it ad-free.

That seems to be something BlackBerry could do to improve its position without getting into another hardware venture. After all, the "desktop" is all about what you can do on it.
    So, a blackberry.net email service? Could be nice! For a small fee, have it do wireless syncing like Gmail but better and make it secure and ad-free. If they could pass on the data-mining, I would gladly pay for that. Connect that to BBM, with Voice and Video, social via BBM Channels and some productivity suites and I would go for that in a heartbeat!
    01-27-14 08:59 AM
    Absolutely. As long as it works like my z30. Cannot stand my Windows 8 computer.

Posted via CB10
    01-27-14 09:00 AM
    Most of the time I'm fine with all my Internet use being on a phone. So when I have to switch back to my droid tablet, I must fight the urge to smash itinto little pieces and bury it in the yard. Same thing when I'm on my imac. Sometimes I just want to kick through that beautiful 24 inch display with work boots.

Linux is actually my favorite os, but like blackberry, it lacks some serious features to make people want to dive in100%

Sent from my GT-P3113 using CB Forums mobile app
    It would be interesting.
    01-27-14 09:04 AM
    No, I wouldn't see the point in it. What would BB10 possibly have to offer in a desktop experience. the hub would be pointless on a desktop and the best thing about BB10, being the keyboard wouldn't even be needed.

I'd settle for a great tablet running BB10 that could work with a BB10 device or be a stand alone product.

It's a mute point anyway because BlackBerry isn't ever going to get into the desktop game.
    Rello likes this.
    01-27-14 09:12 AM
    BlackBerry has BBM right.....oh you mean the free service to non paying customers....ie non BlackBerry users and mainly BlackBerry haters? Who cares!

Posted via CB10
    BBRY does or they wouldn't be attempting it.
    01-27-14 09:14 AM

Posted via CB10
    Seriously? BlackBerry better care because these "non-paying" customers who want a good BBM experience are one of the hopes the company is pinning it's future on.
    01-27-14 09:58 AM
    Yes most def, BB10 is very stable, as long as there's no app gap!
    01-27-14 09:59 AM
68 123