There is a difference; I did not intended on convincing anyone to buy a Playbook. If I saw that the guy was not interested, I would have left.
    I wouldn't worry too much about some of the replies here. If you look at the most vocal detractors' post history, you'll see that they have absolutely nothing good to say about RIM and BB and look for any opportunity to be negative and disruptive. It's even more agenda driven than they claim your attempt to help someone out was.

The funny part is that we are not sitting here asking for iOS and Android info or even looking confused, but they spend day after day here giving us that info...
    up488 likes this.
    12-28-11 10:12 PM
    The funny part is that we are not sitting here asking for iOS and Android info or even looking confused, but they spend day after day here giving us that info...
    I can't stop smiling about this. How true, how true.
    12-28-11 10:23 PM
    I talk to pretty much anyone and everyone, especially when I'm in tech stores (especially Best Buy, because IME the employees there are either clueless or too lazy to care - sorry to any Best Buy employees here). So no, I don't think it would be creepy.
    12-29-11 12:29 AM
    Well, to be honest, one must be prepared before hand as to what gadget are you going to purchase. For it, a lot of internet research is mandatory as it will help you get a good grasp over the product before hand. Blackberry being an advanced gadget, is for those who can make the best use of it. So to deal with it, check out the specifications and also go prepared before you actually lay hands on it.
    12-29-11 12:49 AM
    Not creepy! No one person can speak for the whole population on this matter but imo it looks as though you answered a question he had about a product he was looking at. Who knows if any employees could've answered it. You stepped in and helped, he was open to your help, he left the situation with more knowledge than coming in. The fact that he was in there looking at the playbook and brought up bridging to his 9700 indicates that he was already thinking about it anyways. I don't see harm, he's a big boy and could've ignored you if he wanted. The end!
    12-29-11 01:19 AM
    To me, I don't think it is creepy at all

But I generally am a Happy helpful person, I pick up 10-15 Hitch Hikers a year, I hold doors open, I offer my couch to strangers, I provide advice both solicited and unsolicited and have made friends due to unsolicited advice.

I would hate to live in the world some of the posters in this thread paint, and am glad others are on the same spectrum as I am, I don't tend to interfere if a sales person is having a conversation with a person unless I hear blatantly wrong statements, then I might chime in, if the Customer looks annoyed I'll step back, but most often (all but 1 time) the customer has proceeded to ask me more questions that the Sales person did not know.

My Job is mostly sales and training and has me meeting new people daily in many new cities, and I am in places on my own often so reaching out and having a conversation is good for me, and usually I help a person save some time/money/heart ache. which makes me feel good.

I'm glad there are still good helpful people in the world.
    12-29-11 01:38 AM
    Oh geez. Most guys are hard wired or taught that they should ask women if they need help. Chrissy, it's not that guys think you're helpless. I'm 34, and most guys my age and older were taught to open a door/hold open a door for a lady (and anyone coming in behind you). I (and most guys my generation) were taught to pump fuel into the car, take the trash out, carry in the groceries, open jars, etc. While it's not true of every guy, it certainly isn't unusual. Same goes for the elderly.

The younger generation seems to have less of these manners or it's less common place...not all but it's a fair generalization.

So, Chrissy you're not being singled out for being some helpless female, people are trying to be polite. Maybe I'm wrong but I can't help but feel you've exaggerated a bit with how much you've made it a point to point out how often it happens...so much so you have to wear headphones. And I don't mean any of this as an insult. But you're making it sound like people are falling all over each other to run out of their way to compete to do things for you. Then again, maybe you're incredibly hot.

Now would I want some person showing me features of an electronic device and that it can do this and that...nope. With that, I'd be annoyed.

Occassionally if I see someone that looks unsure of a device and I konw it's a good one, I'll do a 'walk by' "That's a good device. I really like it." Then if they want more info, they'll ask. If not, usually they say, "Okay, thanks!". And everyone is happy.

And for those of you that do get annoyed with someone talking longer about a product than you like, just throw them a polite, "I appreciate the info. But I'm gonna browse." and be done with it.
    sleepngbear and dodger_moore like this.
    12-29-11 01:48 AM
    If you want to legit help people buy a PlayBook, apply at BestBuy.
    Selling Electronics for a living on such a small scale as a Best Buy Employee can't pay the bills,

Also the sales people have more of an Agenda than the stranger, the sales people are there to close sales,
    When I am in a meeting with a distributor I am there to close the sale, the information put out is carefully selected, the marketing material is chosen based on the clients needs, and the information is given in a manner to best obtain the sale, when I am doing a conference, my agenda is education so the information is far different, lighter, open, showing multiple sides to a story,

When I am in a retail outlet or any place I am being sold, I am well aware the bulk of the information I am being given is being given from a sales point of view, not a teaching point of view, and it is nice to hear other peoples who's agenda isn't getting my money, though it could be to get another fan on their "team" but that agenda is even more obvious than money grabbing usually
    12-29-11 01:49 AM
    Seriously?!?!!? Offering assistance or making small talk in a store is considered to be an attempt to sell a product, or that the person offering assistance has a personal agenda, or is an evangelist coming to invade a person's home? REALLY???!?

I am a female. I don't mind being approached my men or women. I don't mind well behaved children or well behaved dogs coming up to me. Damn, I don't mind a nose nudge from a well behaved horse. I don't consider infringing personal space if someone smiles at me, talks to me, opens the door for me. I am perfectly capable of opening the door for myself, thank you very much, but it is not offensive to me to have someone open it for me. I don't mind being allowed into an elevator first, I consider that an example of good manners.

What do I consider creepy? To have someone question my offer for assistance by assuming that I have a personal agenda to sell them a product or to invade a personal space by saying "Hi! I've got one of those! It's great! If you're interested I can show you how it works!" REALLY?!?!?!!? Are we so callous these days and so self absorbed and so paranoid that simple polite societal niceties are considered creepy?

OP - I would have done the same thing. I would have assisted. And if the person would have said "Thank you, but I'd like to be left alone" I would have said "OK, happy holidays to you and yours."

But hey, I like people. I am gregarious by nature. And at the very core of me, I am a helper. I assist people in need.

Isn't that what is at the core of all major religions in the world? Isn't that the antidote for alienation in our frenetic paced society? Are our only social interactions through Facebook and through the Internet? Not mine. Thank God.

Edit: and no, my desire to help is not that I need to be validated. It simply is a desire to help. It *DOES* exist....a simple desire to help people.

(To those creeped out by being approached by helpful strangers don't ever come to Ireland. The place is LOADED with people offering assistance. It's part of the culture. It's taught to young ones. You'll even find TEENAGERS trying to steer you the closest bus stop and little old men trying to help you with your suitcase as you walk down the street looking lost, trying to find your B&B in Dublin. You'll be miserable there. Avoid it like the plague.)
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 12-29-11 at 05:13 AM.
    12-29-11 04:23 AM
    Again, I think you people are reading way too much into this! It's not like the OP tied somebody down against their will and forced his own preferences on them until they submitted. Seriously. You see somebody in a store with a phone similar to your own looking at a tablet that you already own, looking curious, quite likely already interested in the thing by virtue of the fact that they're examining it, where is the crime in starting up a conversation to at least see if they're interested in learning more about it? And what's with this talk of an agenda??!! Like the guy is going to single-handedly reverse RIM's downward spiral by informing ONE potential buyer from his own experiences? The guy has exactly nothing to gain from making a sale other than helping somebody out. What planet are you people from??!! What's next, calling a cop for making casual eye contact?

And as for berrybook boasting of his 'conquest', I have no problem with that, either. The way the PlayBook is continually raked over the coals everywhere you look, including here on these forums, yeah, I'd say it's a noteworthy accomplishment when you're able to enlighten somebody that it isn't the total piece of crap the entire tech-blogging world would have you believe it is. Good lord people, take a chill pill and lighten up.
    I seriously wish there were a way to multi like this.
    12-29-11 04:43 AM
    Oh geez. Most guys are hard wired or taught that they should ask women if they need help. Chrissy, it's not that guys think you're helpless. I'm 34, and most guys my age and older were taught to open a door/hold open a door for a lady (and anyone coming in behind you). I (and most guys my generation) were taught to pump fuel into the car, take the trash out, carry in the groceries, open jars, etc. While it's not true of every guy, it certainly isn't unusual. Same goes for the elderly.

The younger generation seems to have less of these manners or it's less common place...not all but it's a fair generalization.

So, Chrissy you're not being singled out for being some helpless female, people are trying to be polite. Maybe I'm wrong but I can't help but feel you've exaggerated a bit with how much you've made it a point to point out how often it happens...so much so you have to wear headphones. And I don't mean any of this as an insult. But you're making it sound like people are falling all over each other to run out of their way to compete to do things for you. Then again, maybe you're incredibly hot.

Now would I want some person showing me features of an electronic device and that it can do this and that...nope. With that, I'd be annoyed.

Occassionally if I see someone that looks unsure of a device and I konw it's a good one, I'll do a 'walk by' "That's a good device. I really like it." Then if they want more info, they'll ask. If not, usually they say, "Okay, thanks!". And everyone is happy.

And for those of you that do get annoyed with someone talking longer about a product than you like, just throw them a polite, "I appreciate the info. But I'm gonna browse." and be done with it.
    I'm speaking from personal experience. Yes, I like to be left alone. I used to pick up hitchhikers too. Had a pretty bad experience twice. So, no, I don't pick them up anymore.

I haven't had the pleasure of avoiding all the pitfalls of helping or being helped by folks I don't know. Unfortunate maybe. But I learned a lot and what I need to do for myself to stay out of harms way.

Why is that such a big deal and turn into a speech about society today? Hopefully your wife or daughter always has good luck with strangers.

You speak like you know me, or anything about me. You do not. I'm friendly and anyone IN REAL LIFE would describe me as open and free spirited. However, I prefer to be left alone. It's not a big deal. It's a choice and my right.

And yes, I'm good looking. That's both an advantage and a disadvantage at times. I'm old enough to know which and when.

Someone holding the door open isn't the same as getting unsolicited advice or convo. There's comparsions being made in this thread that don't make sense.

I said I would think it's annoying. To the OPs question. That's it. I would find it creepy. So what.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 12-29-11 at 05:48 AM.
    12-29-11 05:46 AM
    The name of this thread is a bit misleading and has led to this train wreck of a discussion. This is not about a stranger giving you advice about a BB. That happens here everyday in the proper context for such advice. It also assumes that you asked or otherwise sought the advice of a stranger about BBs. None of that is the case for the OP.

The thread should be called, "Is it creepy for a non-employee to approach a total stranger in a store and give him a full sales demo of a product, even though the stranger did not request any information?" Another title might be, "I sold a PB to a total stranger who didn't even ask for my help. I rock! Please validate me." Either of these titles would be more honest, especially the second one as it does not make a disingenuous request for opinions as does the current thread.

Many are happy to provide that validation because they have the same agenda. Great! But, If you were really interested in helping based on what we now know to be true, you, OP, would have suggested he look at an iPad. Over 50% of BB owners interested in a tablet prefer an iPad according to recent surveys. We also know that customer satisfaction with the iPad is much higher than with anything else. So, with that in mind, let's just be honest about the agenda and the purpose of this thread.

One more thing, I find the disingenuousness of this thread a dead giveaway when people who think that the behavior is out of line are attacked for giving their opinion in a thread that asked for opinions, and are labeled antisocial, dystopian, freaks. If we do not agree with the OP and give proper validation, then we are socially dysfunctional. What a crock!

Please, carry on with the validation fest. But stop pretending that the OP was just acting as a good Samaritan, or that people who disagree represent the end of civilization as we know it.
    Chrisy likes this.
    12-29-11 07:30 AM
    There's no way to address comments made, without it turning personal, which this has. I'd prefer not close the thread, but my crystal ball tells me it's not long for life.

Me, I tend to go out of my way to talk to and help people. Probably why I enjoy the forum as much as I do. When someone does the same to me, I don't turn it into an introspective moment. I presume kindness until evidence proves otherwise.
    dodger_moore likes this.
    12-29-11 07:31 AM
    There's no way to address comments made, without it turning personal, which this has. I'd prefer not close the thread, but my crystal ball tells me it's not long for life.

Me, I tend to go out of my way to talk to and help people. Probably why I enjoy the forum as much as I do. When someone does the same to me, I don't turn it into an introspective moment. I presume kindness until evidence proves otherwise.
    I suspect most of us are the same way. The difference is that when we legitimately try to help someone, we do not go on fan sites to pat ourselves on the back and brag of our conquest and openly ask for validation from others. That kind of suggests that something more than a simple human interaction was the motivation.
    12-29-11 07:36 AM
    Didn't read the thread but yeah it kind of is. Maybe creepy is the wrong word, but it's definitely odd.
    12-29-11 07:38 AM
    I suspect most of us are the same way. The difference is that when we legitimately try to help someone, we do not go on fan sites to pat ourselves on the back and brag of our conquest and openly ask for validation from others. That kind of suggests that something more than a simple human interaction was the motivation.
    Maybe I didn't make myself clear enough. Psychoanalyzing. the intent of the OP, or those that offer help, is pointless. So what if he wanted to gloat? This is exactly the direction that will get this discussion shut down, and points awarded for fueling fire.
    12-29-11 07:57 AM
    The name of this thread is a bit misleading and has led to this train wreck of a discussion. This is not about a stranger giving you advice about a BB. That happens here everyday in the proper context for such advice. It also assumes that you asked or otherwise sought the advice of a stranger about BBs. None of that is the case for the OP.

The thread should be called, "Is it creepy for a non-employee to approach a total stranger in a store and give him a full sales demo of a product, even though the stranger did not request any information?" Another title might be, "I sold a PB to a total stranger who didn't even ask for my help. I rock! Please validate me." Either of these titles would be more honest, especially the second one as it does not make a disingenuous request for opinions as does the current thread.

Many are happy to provide that validation because they have the same agenda.
    This is what I find objectionable; the premise that an attempt to assist presupposes an agenda. As if I personally am on a crusade to have people purchase RIM or Android devices as opposed to Apple. If I see someone looking at a product that I own and I like it, I will strike up a conversation and an offer to assist. There is no agenda. I would be more suspicious of someone whose job is to sell a product and possibly gain a commission from the interaction. I gain nothing. That person gains money by virtue of a sale. I have no agenda. The salesperson has an agenda....to do his/her job.

Great! But, If you were really interested in helping based on what we now know to be true, you, OP, would have suggested he look at an iPad. Over 50% of BB owners interested in a tablet prefer an iPad according to recent surveys. We also know that customer satisfaction with the iPad is much higher than with anything else. So, with that in mind, let's just be honest about the agenda and the purpose of this thread.
    I do not own an iPad. Therefore I would not assist with one since I don't know the device. I would not assist someone considering a Thunderbolt because I don't own a Thunderbolt. I would assist someone considering an Atrix because I own an Atrix. And I personally do not prefer an iPad, regardless of what the numbers say, so in my instance, satisfaction level for the iPad would be exceedingly low.

One more thing, I find the disingenuousness of this thread a dead giveaway when people who think that the behavior is out of line are attacked for giving their opinion in a thread that asked for opinions, and are labeled antisocial, dystopian, freaks. If we do not agree with the OP and give proper validation, then we are socially dysfunctional. What a crock!

Please, carry on with the validation fest. But stop pretending that the OP was just acting as a good Samaritan, or that people who disagree represent the end of civilization as we know it.
    Actually, I disagreed with the premise that offering assistance is creepy. I disagree with opinions, not with people. I never stated that a poster is an antisocial, dystopian freak. I attacked the premise that the offering of assistance is tantamount to invading personal space, pursuing an agenda, and a need for validation. And I further stated that I find it abhorrent that simple societal norms are now looked upon as an imposition on a person's space. Or that being approached by a man is so distasteful. Unless a man is coming on to me I don't assume that his motives are anything other than simple friendliness. Really, very few women are so hot that they elicit an instant response from a man. God knows I'm not.
    And this may not be the end of civilisation as we know it, but it certainly seems to be a disdain for graciousness as some of us practice.
    jivegirl14 likes this.
    12-29-11 08:00 AM
    Maybe I didn't make myself clear enough. Psychoanalyzing. the intent of the OP, or those that offer help, is pointless. So what if he wanted to gloat? This is exactly the direction that will get this discussion shut down, and points awarded for fueling fire.
    I'm not trying to get the thread closed. I'm responding to the thread as it exists. The OP asked for analysis. He brought up his previous thread, making that a valid part of the equation. If you say the behavior is not creepy, you are still psychoanalyzing the intent of the OP. You just judge his intent to be pure. You can't read the thread title and his post without analyzing intent. That is why I think the thread is misnamed. If he didn't want to be analyzed, he shouldn't have asked for a peer review. He already has a thread about this exploit in the forum. He wanted a more detailed response. Now he's getting it. The commenters are not to blame for that.

Perhaps we should limit our answers to a simple yes or no. Better yet, let's make it a poll. Then, he can collect the votes and enjoy the results without the commentary he seemed to ask for.
    12-29-11 08:25 AM
    Didn't read the thread but yeah it kind of is. Maybe creepy is the wrong word, but it's definitely odd.
    No more creepy or odd than CrackBerry members coming to the forums to share their knowledge, skills, experience.

Having said that, those posting against the OP have become too vitriolic and the thread will close.
    up488 likes this.
    12-29-11 08:48 AM
119 ... 345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD