A little OT but as an owner of RIM stock I have heard that the Palm Pre, due out June 6, is the "Blackberry killer". If you own RIM would you sell now. Friday's close was around $80.00. If this is not the proper forum please re-direct me.
    Thanks
    05-24-09 12:50 PM
    I would never sell a stable stock b/c a new product is rolling out.. RIMs niche is the business world and others are way behind. Competition is healthy...
    05-24-09 12:53 PM
    its good to buy now, but sell early. Its only short term investing when it comes to dow stocks. Electronics can really sink you, especially when RIMM was at $150 a share, and then tanked to aout $30 when the Storm rolled out. lol. But right now it's sitting at what, $78 a share? In April it was at $35, so its very risky, but worth it right now since their products are rolling very healthy. Don't worry about Apple, they aren't really doing too well anyway, since thier smart phone still can't overcome the push email technology. Worthless.
    05-24-09 01:01 PM
    Don't worry about Apple, they aren't really doing too well anyway, since thier smart phone still can't overcome the push email technology. Worthless.
    We'll see how worthless it is when they sell 2 million+ iPhones in one weekend. The iPhone hate by some of you people is hysterical. You should be happy it exists, it makes RIM try harder.
    05-24-09 01:46 PM
    We'll see how worthless it is when they sell 2 million+ iPhones in one weekend. The iPhone hate by some of you people is hysterical. You should be happy it exists, it makes RIM try harder.
    I am not a fan. I could care less if they exist or not. I could care less how much it makes people so jolly to try a phone that they can put a finger on and makes things move to make you much smarter than you look. I could honestly, not care any less how hard Apple pushes their phones to the brink of usability, i will still call it worthless. I have no love for touch screen devices, let alone an Apple product. RIM does enough for me than any iPhone can do.
    05-24-09 02:04 PM
    I am not a fan. I could care less if they exist or not. I could care less how much it makes people so jolly to try a phone that they can put a finger on and makes things move to make you much smarter than you look. I could honestly, not care any less how hard Apple pushes their phones to the brink of usability, i will still call it worthless. I have no love for touch screen devices, let alone an Apple product. RIM does enough for me than any iPhone can do.
    Your attitude is horrible. Who cares if it's an Apple product? The damn device is driving RIM to produce better products. You think the HTC Touch Pro would have accomplished this type of influence on RIM? I think not. Just because you hate the phone does not mean respect shouldn't be given where respect is deserved. If you want better phones, you need actual competition.
    05-24-09 02:12 PM
    Your attitude is horrible. Who cares if it's an Apple product? The damn device is driving RIM to produce better products. You think the HTC Touch Pro would have accomplished this type of influence on RIM? I think not. Just because you hate the phone does not mean respect shouldn't be given where respect is deserved. If you want better phones, you need actual competition.
    Don't base my statement off of attitude assumption, im only basing the realism of how someone can perceive fanboy craze of a phone that is all hype. A good base of RIM owners know what they want in their product, and same goes for Apple owners. Competition will always be there, but you can't miss the fact that there are those that know what they want their phone to do, and there are those that KNOW what they want their phone to do. I don't want a toy, I want a powerhouse.
    05-24-09 03:44 PM
    Just a toy you say? Ok. I never said people didn't know what they want in their phone and that there isn't other competition. All I said was that the iPhone was the biggest competition, now a long with the Pre. That's not being a fanboy, that's just the truth.

The iPhone is not all hype. The hype is over, people know what to expect of the iPhone.
    05-24-09 03:55 PM
    We appreciated an exchange of viewpoints, but please keep it civil and confined to the topic.
    05-24-09 03:59 PM
    Sorry for going off topic. At least it was civil though.
    05-24-09 04:09 PM
    Your attitude is horrible. ...
    'nuff said.

Research in Motion, one of my favorite investments. Fortunately, that was several years ago and I am still way ahead of the curve.

Is this a good time to buy? P/E 21.84

Are they making money and growing in challenging times? Yes, records continue to fall.

Is free advice worth the pixils it occupies? No, talk to a qualified financial consultant.
    05-24-09 04:17 PM
    A little OT but as an owner of RIM stock I have heard that the Palm Pre, due out June 6, is the "Blackberry killer". If you own RIM would you sell now. Friday's close was around $80.00. If this is not the proper forum please re-direct me.
    Thanks
    Absolutely not!!! The Pre is 1 product, and RIM has several in the pipeline. One product isn't going to jeoporadize RIM's market share in any way. I am up over 50% with RIM in the last 4 months. I will be selling some shares just to take some profit, but it has nothing to do with the Pre. I am definitely long RIMM and will be buying more once the market goes down a bit.
    05-24-09 05:30 PM
    its good to buy now, but sell early. Its only short term investing when it comes to dow stocks. Electronics can really sink you, especially when RIMM was at $150 a share, and then tanked to aout $30 when the Storm rolled out. lol. But right now it's sitting at what, $78 a share? In April it was at $35, so its very risky, but worth it right now since their products are rolling very healthy. Don't worry about Apple, they aren't really doing too well anyway, since thier smart phone still can't overcome the push email technology. Worthless.

WHO CARES WHAT IT CAN/CANT DO FOR YOU. That has nothing to do with this thread.

If youre evaluating a stock, you should base it on the fact of what other people are doing. Iphones are still selling quite well.

Your one sale, wont make a difference on it's stock price.
    05-24-09 10:35 PM
    I'm still kicking myself for not buying it at $37.xx. Was waiting for it to hit $35 which of course it never did. Was at $75 just the other day. Grrrrrrr
    05-25-09 08:50 PM
    Well My broker is E.F. Hutton and E. F Hutton says:

05-26-09 11:47 AM
    I wouldn't sell because of another phone's release. They should only see a small decrease if anything when the Pre comes out and they'll jump right back up soon thereafter.
    05-26-09 12:53 PM
    if the stock drops during the time that the pre comes out and what not then buy more.. because it will go back up when the new berrys come out
    05-26-09 04:51 PM
    Dude u need to learn how to read charts. I know there are some players here
    that might helpp u. I would love to here what they have to say.
    05-26-09 06:49 PM
    Ok I see where this is going. As far as the stock market goes.
    Never love anything that cannot love u. Trade without emotion
    if u can.
    Some people may disagree. But u are better off with options. Unless u are
    in it for the long term.
    U need to learn to read the charts; let the stock tell u the direction it wants to go.......

Ok I just looked at the charts. RIMM just broke above the 200 day moving average. The mkt was up strong. It is at about 76.00 and going sideways.
    If u are gonna do the mkt. U better learn it. Before it does u.

So hold tight for a bit
    05-26-09 07:01 PM
    If it opens at or above 76.86 stay with it; also u have to take into acct the overall mkt it went strong today. Also looks like on a 6 month chart it is trying to form a W pattern which is up. Double top; M pattern is down.
    those are just the basic there are many more patterns. I need to brush up on
    but u are looking good.
    Trad without emotion and you will be fine.
    05-26-09 07:09 PM
    Just some thoughts, as RIMM is one of the stocks I currently have a long position.

If you are long here, it is a good idea to set some tight stops. You can set this up as either a dollar amount or a percentage amount. If you have some experience, you can try to buy some calls (one contract is much cheaper than buying 100 shares), just be careful though you can get crushed fast. Good luck everyone.
    05-26-09 08:03 PM
    Just some thoughts, as RIMM is one of the stocks I currently have a long position.

If you are long here, it is a good idea to set some tight stops. You can set this up as either a dollar amount or a percentage amount. If you have some experience, you can try to buy some calls (one contract is much cheaper than buying 100 shares), just be careful though you can get crushed fast. Good luck everyone.

I knew there had to be some true playas out there. Nice advice
    05-26-09 08:14 PM
    Don't worry about the Pre. Its release is already "baked" into Palms, and RIMs stock prices. As for a buy/sell/hold recomendation, that depends on why you bought the stock in the first place and if you still think that is true today.

BUT if you bought around the $40 level, you should at the very least keep a tight stop-limit under your profits. I think RIM is a good buy long term, but don't get greedy if you are sitting on a nice profit.

Honestly, I think the Pre isn't going to do nearly as well as everyone seems to expect. Apple has the consumer market locked up, while RIM has the business side of things locked up. Whats the Pre to do? It can't be all things to all people, and I find it hard to beleive a new device/OS can be as good as the Apple/RIM offerings for their market segments.

As we are starting to see, consumers want apps, they goto Apple and don't look back. As for businesses, I don't see them spending the money to upgrade their network and all their phones to use a single system unless there is a killer reason to do so.

Thanks
    05-26-09 08:28 PM
    I highly doubt anyone asking for stock advice here has an account approved for options trading, nor would I suggest that route for anyone that didn't have that idea themselves (IE knew wtf they were doing) lol

One contract also has an expiration unlike stock, so while cheaper, you can have the direction move right and still be wrong. If you are using options to go long I would suggest an ITM (In the Money) or a deep ITM LEAPS call so you don't get burned on the declining time value.

Looking at the chart today I see a nice 6+% pop, to me, thats a sell or at the least a TIGHT stop.

05-26-09 08:42 PM
    I highly doubt anyone asking for stock advice here has an account approved for options trading, nor would I suggest that route for anyone that didn't have that idea themselves (IE knew wtf they were doing) lol

One contract also has an expiration unlike stock, so while cheaper, you can have the direction move right and still be wrong. If you are using options to go long I would suggest an ITM (In the Money) or a deep ITM LEAPS call so you don't get burned on the declining time value.

Looking at the chart today I see a nice 6+% pop, to me, thats a sell or at the least a TIGHT stop.
    I do agree with your advice.
    U see 6% where and how are u drawing that conclusion.
    I would appreciate the answer; the more knowledge the better.
    Thanks
    05-26-09 10:28 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD