So I was looking into what it takes to setup a BES-X server and you have to have a minimum of Windows Small Business Server Software ($500), server hardware of at least $2000, the free BES-X software, then you have to go and install all that mess. Now I've never been a fan of Windows Servers and always run mission critical items on some form of UNIX/Linux or even OS X since it has a free BSD back-end. So since BB10 is going to be a mobile computing platform, I'd love to see RIM release a 1 RU device that looks like a Cisco or Avaya Branch Office router running BB10 to act as the BES/Mobile Fusion "Server". The device would have a port to connect to the Internet, multiple ports to connect to corporate network and/or DMZ, and possibly a T1/E1 port for some MVS type functionality with legacy PBX systems. Flash Memory only with no Hard Drive, but support for external drives for logging if needed.

The device would be a simple setup logging in via a web browser to configure it where you would configure the IP addresses for the Internet and your internal network, your domain info, etc., and could start building accounts and connecting BB10 devices to the network very fast. The device would be its own firewall, only allowing the ports needed to the encryption between BB10 handheld and the enterprise, handle all of the encryption/VPN aggregation and compression. RIM could also look at adding the capability to allow these same devices to be placed at branch office and provide VPN and compression capabilities from device to device for branch office VPN functionality. Maybe also add the capability to build SIP trunks to an internal IP PBX for corporate to mobile comms. Other possiblity of adding BBM to other IM bridge, or maybe even allow it to be a BBM server for a corporate PC BBM client.

I think that the pieces to make this happen are all available for RIM to put together: QNX running high end Internet Routers, QNX cryptographic Kernel, etc. Outsource the hardware manufacturing to some company and have it run BB10. Basically it would be BB10 Mobile Fusion Router. Make it competitively priced, and you own the entire BB10 enterprise solution from handheld to Mobile Fusion Router without having to rely on Microsoft and Server Hardware. Of course also make it available on a VMWare package for people who want to run it on Server Hardware. Make a PC/MAC client that could connect to it for corporate access and maybe throw in some BBM support too via the PC. All FIPS approved of course!

I think that something like this could help RIM sell more hardware, and have more control of the support and total experience with the corporate offering. I think that they should be making bringing BB10 into the corporate network as simple as possible and not require someone to be able to support Windows and Blackberry Software to setup the server. Anyway just something that I would like to see RIM do with the "BB10 Platform" other than a handset. I know that for me personally if I could just go buy a box with Blackberry written on it that supported X number of remote BB10 users and I could have it up and running in 10 minutes out of the box I'd be able to sell management on it so easy. Throw in some BB7 support and it would be a no brainer.

Oh I would also like a little home router version of the above device that would allow you have a Mobile Fusion for your families VPN and access your home network, or maybe even a small business network (think Apple Airport Extreme running a home version of Mobile Fusion).

So what do you guys think, and what are some other things you would like to see RIM do with the "BB10 platform" beyond just the handsets?
    Last edited by lnichols; 07-13-12 at 08:23 PM.
    07-13-12 08:10 PM
    Yes I would like to see rim make a bb10 router. I think your ideas are very good. I especially like the idea of a home router since security for me is very important.
    07-14-12 12:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD