Title says it all.

This is assuming im not using location service, just having on. Its not going to run in the background of something and chew my data is it?
    02-24-13 12:09 PM
    definitely eats battery. not sure about data, i shouldnt imagine so, unless you have a mapping service running too
    02-24-13 01:57 PM
    GPS in and of itself doesn't use mobile data. It's a separate direct connection to the GPS satellite system. Not part of your carrier's mobile system.

Does it use up the battery? Yes. The GPS radios need juice to communicate the coordinates back and forth.

The only time it would use mobile data is when using the GPS data in an app that would them post that info somewhere - like checking into someplace on Foursquare or Facebook. Or while using it in a mapping app that constantly downloads the map info in the background while you move like Google or BB Maps.
    darkehawke and Alex_Hong like this.
    02-24-13 02:04 PM
    Answers to a question involving "location services" which focus solely on GPS are likely to be wrong... or at best cover only part of the picture.

The device doesn't sit there monitoring the GPS constantly just in case you move. It's wayyyy smarter than that. Among other things, it can use data gathered from monitoring nearby cell towers (triangulation), as well as some of the wifi networks that may be nearby (effectively using a database of locations for known networks).

Chances are you will not be able to notice any significant difference in battery life between having location services turned on all the time, and having it turned off all the time.

Easy enough to measure, but don't assume that having it turned on means GPS reception is continuously active: that's definitely not the case, and would certainly exhaust the battery quickly if it were.
    02-24-13 02:21 PM
    Idk but they are watching your each and every move. They will know more about u than anyone in your life including yourself....

Jk. It eats battery but not a noticeable amount like wifi or bt. It's been around ong enough for them to handle that and make it efficient
    02-24-13 06:58 PM
    Idk but they are watching your each and every move. They will know more about u than anyone in your life including yourself....

Jk. It eats battery but not a noticeable amount like wifi or bt. It's been around ong enough for them to handle that and make it efficient
    It's been around ong enough for them to handle that and make it efficient
    Way to copy and paste paotxdju0 haha
    02-24-13 07:14 PM
    Does it use up the battery? Yes. The GPS radios need juice to communicate the coordinates back and forth.
    Just a quick note to say that the GPS in phones never send anything, they only listen to gps signals, they do not have enough power to send anything back to the satellites !
    02-25-13 07:24 AM
    Answers to a question involving "location services" which focus solely on GPS are likely to be wrong... or at best cover only part of the picture.

The device doesn't sit there monitoring the GPS constantly just in case you move. It's wayyyy smarter than that. Among other things, it can use data gathered from monitoring nearby cell towers (triangulation), as well as some of the wifi networks that may be nearby (effectively using a database of locations for known networks).

Chances are you will not be able to notice any significant difference in battery life between having location services turned on all the time, and having it turned off all the time.

Easy enough to measure, but don't assume that having it turned on means GPS reception is continuously active: that's definitely not the case, and would certainly exhaust the battery quickly if it were.
    ^^^^^Yup.....

I used to turn off location services, then a mod (Branta) explained to me how leaving location services on has only neglible impact on battery life. Browsing or streaming media while on a poor signal does kill your battery.
    peter9477 likes this.
    02-25-13 07:31 AM
    Just a quick note to say that the GPS in phones never send anything, they only listen to gps signals, they do not have enough power to send anything back to the satellites !
    Thanks for the correction. Makes sense that the phones don't actually radio back to the satellites.
    02-25-13 08:30 AM
    On my 9900 I kept location services ON because they were only used when needed. When they are needed depends on how you configure things. For example, if you have geotagging turned on in the camera app, it will use the GPS. I always kept it turned off. If you want FaceBook updates and Tweets to have location data, they'll use GPS, but you weren't obliged to do this. I even kept the BeWeather app on a manually chosen location, since most of the time I'm in and around Philly. It's pointless to have it take a GPS reading every time it updates unless I'm traveling somewhere. Obviously, some apps, like Maps and Poynt, need location to function at all.

I never experienced a battery problem from leaving location services ON.

On my Android phone I keep GPS OFF because I'm less confident that it'll be used in a "need-only" way. Rather, I think Google's needs and mine may not always converge.

I have no idea how BB10 handles it, though.
    02-25-13 10:04 AM