Ok guys i have the worst phone you can ever have right now. It is like 5 years old and for some reason i still have it. I have never had a touch screen phone. I think its time to get on this year. I know the Storm 9570 is coming out. And its basically the same thing as a storm 2. Thats the phone i always wanted. Im just want some opinions on what i should do. Get this 9570 or wait for the storm 3?
    11-24-10 06:08 PM
    If the Storm is what you're wanting then I'd wait for the Storm 3 to drop. If anything,
    maybe you can come up on a cheap 8330 Curve on eBay or something to hold you
    for a while. At least this way you can become accustomed to a BB before you get
    the Storm 3...

You can find 8330 Curves on eBay used for under $100
    11-24-10 06:29 PM
    I mean i can wait for the storm 3 as long as its not too long.
    11-24-10 06:43 PM
    9570 or odin Refresh was cancelled. Next you will see is the S3 which drop either before Xmas or sometime early next year. We know next to nothing about this device due so many inconsistent rumors. RIM has been very tight lipord on this one.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-24-10 07:35 PM
    I guess ill wait. If its early next year i can wait the 4-6 months.
    11-24-10 07:54 PM
    I just suggested the 8330 to hold you for that span of time since you're saying that
    the phone you currently have is pretty bad.
    11-24-10 08:02 PM
    I hate the 8330. I dont like any bb phones except the bold. My current phone is the blackberry pearl haha. Ive had it for so long and nothing is wrong with it but i just feel embarrassed to pull it out when all these kids have all these touch phones.
    11-24-10 08:15 PM
    New Curve2. Go with that for the time being if you need a hold-over device. Or find a used 9550 on the cheap. The 9550 is not bad at all compared to the 9530. It's not worth it to pay full price or even waste an upgrade on it, but if you can score one on the low... it's a good choice.
    11-24-10 09:40 PM
    9570 or odin Refresh was cancelled. Next you will see is the S3 which drop either before Xmas or sometime early next year. We know next to nothing about this device due so many inconsistent rumors. RIM has been very tight lipord on this one.
    It clearly won't be showing up in either timeframe you mention, it is already too late for for anything new to turn up before Xmas and early next year will be taken up with the playbook.

Realistically speaking, probably the earliest we are going to see any new phones is the end of q1 or the start of q2 so March/April time.
    11-24-10 10:37 PM
    It clearly won't be showing up in either timeframe you mention, it is already too late for for anything new to turn up before Xmas and early next year will be taken up with the playbook.
    If it isn't Xmas yet then its not too late is it? Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure there are some days between now and then no?

11-25-10 01:28 AM
    If it isn't Xmas yet then its not too late is it? Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure there are some days between now and then no?

We would have seen leaks if the S3 were going to drop this year.
    The storm2 refresh was scrapped... So now we wait for Q2 next year for the real S3 (hopefully with the qnx OS).

According to almost any leak we have, we won't see a qnx device until after playbook, hopefully before April.
    11-25-10 01:48 AM
    Stores have lead times and anything that was going to be in the shops before xmas would be there by now, it is just the way they work, not to mention that a device launching in under a month would have definitely been leaked and almost certainly announced officially because there would be no benefit to keeping stuff secret until after everyone had finished doing their holiday shopping now would there?
    11-25-10 03:40 AM
    Do I need to add a "JK" to my original post guys? Comeon now. Geez.

11-25-10 06:35 AM
    I agree we should have seen more on S3 now, especially if it is in carrier testing. But that's an assumption we are making. How much was leaked about the playbook before we saw it? If they didn't decide to show it at DevCon months before a release I bet we still wouldn't have any info. RIM has locked down the info on these devices and we just font know anything. There has been some chatter about BB releasing something big for Xmas. So who knows. Could drop tomorrow could be 6 months out.

11-25-10 06:50 AM
    I'm with Engine on this one.� while I understand everything points to the complete opposite, I'm starting to have a feeling we may see something here. More and more people are coming out the woodwork hinting at stuff but they won't say what. If the S3 was originally supposed to be released in Jan before they cancelled the 9570. I feel like they couldve pushed it a month ahead after they decided to cancel the refresh.
    Also back to Engines point about the Playbook. We were so in the dark with that also. We were making up OS and specs and all kinds of other stuff about the Cobalt when we knew nothing. Everything was based on rumors cause we thought they were working on it, exactly like the S3. Then BAM RIM pulls out the PB and not only shows it off but has a pretty good OS developed on it already and seems it be pretty much a lot further ahead in development then ANY of us predicted or expected.
    The S3 has been in development for a long long time I think, even a lot longer then the PB. So while I'm obviously not sure that's it finished, my belief regardless of rumors and release date BS is that it is and they could drop it on us whenever they wanted. That is also why I feel Lazaridis is gonna show it in 2 wks at that conference he will be interviewed at, so let's hope I'm right

makaveli28 likes this.
    11-25-10 07:31 AM
    Verizon is launching their LTE network in December.
    It would make sense for them to reveal their LTE devices, such as the Storm3
    And just SCREAMS Storm LTE.
    11-25-10 10:20 AM
    My Storm 1 contract expired yesterday November 24th (Vodafone, UK). I've been on tenterhooks for months, cursing the unresponsive letters on my virtual keyboard and the insistent Cut 'n Paste default mode whenever I swipe some text or try to scroll down a web page. This is with OS 5.0 by the way. Faulty screen/digitiser? I don't know. Anyway I've been breathlessly awaiting firm news of the S3, and nothing has happened apart from a handful of rumours. It's a wonder I haven't defected to iPhone or Android.

But I like the Storm form factor. The bits that work, work very well indeed. I can't live without it. It never leaves my side. I was tempted by the Torch, but I don't want to get locked into another long contract with a phone that might be made obsolete overnight, and just miss my dream phone Storm QNX (and matching Playbook).

So this morning I went for a SIM-only deal, on a one month rolling contract at �15 per month including unlimited texts and 1 Gb data. Pretty good I thought. I'll keep my Storm 1, warts and all, until S3 drops in the UK. I don't know how long that will be, it could be many, many months. S3 might not even exist, although the albeit scanty evidence suggests otherwise. But I'll say this to RIM; after all the hassle I've had with various aspects of the S1, especially in the early days, the rumoured Storm 3 had better be good.

Postscript; by pure chance, when I woke up this morning my phone was dead. Dead as a doornail. Oh no I thought, Vodafone have remotely killed my phone at the stroke of midnight, when my contract ran out. What do I do? How can I get it reactivated? Panic mode ensued; I can't live without my phone. All those missed emails! And I can't monitor my overnight eBay sales or even bid! Frantic switching on of my bedside PC and looking at the upgrade options on the Vodafone website.

Then reality kicked in. No, they wouldn't kill the phone stone dead, just stop the phone and data service. Anyway I phoned up Voda, said my contract is up, my phone is dead, what do I do? The response was something like this:

"Oh dear sir, your two-year contract expired at midnight. It's now 9am the day after, and your phone is now out of warranty. You are stuffed. If it went dead yesterday, we 'd have replaced it. But now you'll have to pay �55 + VAT to get it repaired. Anyway, let's get you on a new SIM-only contract while you decide on your next upgrade ".

Which he proceeded to do, in a very nice helpful manner I might add, but still leaving me wondering what to do about my totally dead, deceased Storm.

Well, it turned out that the battery was dead. Or more precisely, my Blackberry mains charger was dead (it's happened before, they don't last forever). Even though the phone had been "on charge" all day, it hadn't been, and I never noticed. So overnight it went completely flat. It was a complete coincidence that my contract expired the same night.

Anyway, phone was charged up via my PC, and it's working perfectly again. I feel such a fool!
    11-25-10 01:11 PM
    I'm with Engine on this one.� while I understand everything points to the complete opposite, I'm starting to have a feeling we may see something here. More and more people are coming out the woodwork hinting at stuff but they won't say what. If the S3 was originally supposed to be released in Jan before they cancelled the 9570. I feel like they couldve pushed it a month ahead after they decided to cancel the refresh.
    If you assume that the 9570 was intended to be out by now, then it simply wouldn't have made sense for the S3 to have been out in january and it almost seems like some people are gearing themselves to hate rim for not delivering on some schedule that has never been the case.
    11-25-10 04:13 PM
    What carriers will offer storm 3? Im currently with t-mobile and id like to stick with them.
    11-25-10 09:24 PM
    What carriers will offer storm 3? Im currently with t-mobile and id like to stick with them.
    Verizon, Verizon Wireless, VZW, you name it.
    11-26-10 12:16 AM
    ^^^ Wow that is so stupid. So im going to have to spend like $600 on it just to have it for tmobile?
    11-26-10 09:55 AM
    ^^^ Wow that is so stupid. So im going to have to spend like $600 on it just to have it for tmobile?
    Actually, you'll have to pay possibly a million dollars to RIM in order to commission the design of a T-Mobile - compatible Storm3.
    11-26-10 10:41 AM
    VZW commissioned the Storm from RIM. They probably paid some $$4 on the R&D, or guaranteed certain sales, etc. Just as ATT did with the torch. Those aren't exactly Exclusive contracts as they are custom orders. Either way the result is the same. You can't get a 9530 or 9550 on any other NA carrier. Of course that has to do with the S1 and S3 and we all have no idea how long or how far that Exclusivity deal goes.

I think it is safe to assume that the S3 will only be on VZW.

However with an LTE radio I wonder if it will support HSPA once unlocked on T mobile. Who knows?
    11-26-10 01:12 PM
    Any idea how much the S3 will cost without any contract?
    11-26-10 03:20 PM
    Verizon is launching their LTE network in December.
    It would make sense for them to reveal their LTE devices, such as the Storm3
    And just SCREAMS Storm LTE.
    Verizon is launching LTE in December but only for wireless laptops. 4G won't be available for handsets until mid-2011.

Cellphones: Faster 4G wireless networks are coming, slowly - latimes.com

This should cast some serious doubt on a storm3 with LTE being released before about June 2011.
    11-26-10 04:14 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD