Work supplied me with a Palm Centro. I'm already on my second battery and I'm not happy. I used a blackberry for years at my prior workplace so I want to switch. I purchased an unlocked 8700 and inserted the SIM and the phone works fine. I called AT&T to have them activate the data (right now says data connection refused) and this is what they said.

Cost of the plan is exactly the same. However, I have to have my IT professional call and make the switch- OR - he can put in the switch on the backend- but that takes 7 days.

Now I know some people at my company use a blackberry so I know they are experienced with setup. However, when I mentioned purchasing my own device- I was told its not a good idea.

Is it possible for me to set up my work email on my own- without the help of my IT dept? Or do I have to go through them no matter what? I don't mind because I'm prepared to make my case- especially since its not going to cost the company another dime. I'm even willing to give back the work supplied device so they can recycle with another account.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
    01-24-09 11:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD