Hello experienced Blackberry users! I am thinking about getting a storm when it comes out here in a few weeks, but the yes or no for me will be if it works with my work email. My work email is a Microsoft exchange server that can be set up with Microsoft Outlook, but it also has a general website that can be used to view your email from any computer. ex: mail.************.com! I currently have a voyager from verizon and using the full web browser I can check my email that way.

My question is with the information I have given you, is it possible to get my work email sent directly to my Blackberry, and will this fall under the 30 dollar data plan?

Thanks all and any help is appreciated!
    11-06-08 05:21 PM
    Yes, you can get your email and yes you will be required to have the $30 data plan.
    11-06-08 05:22 PM
    Thanks for the info! Looks like I'll be getting the storm then!
    11-06-08 07:09 PM
    Good, welcome!
    11-06-08 07:10 PM
    You SHOULD be able to though. Just check with your IT guys and make sure if it's a corporate exchange server they allow that.
    11-06-08 07:12 PM
    Also, be aware that if your employer puts you on BES, you will lose control of your phone to your employer's IT policy. What's an IT Policy? An IT Policy is the way a company enforces its IT Security rules on BlackBerry's that have inside-the-firewall access. These devices have BlackBerry Enterprise Service (BES) accounts instead of the BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) accounts that consumer users typically have.

BES users get over the air synching of their Calendar, Email, Address Book, Tasks, and Memos. In return, they accept that the company can monitor all their email, log their phone calls, and in general control every aspect of their phone: whether they can install apps, use the Media Card or Bluetooth, or access the internet, for example.

IT Policies can be very strict to benign. Mine, for example, only requires me to use a password and Content Protection and sets the max timeout to 30 minutes.

If you have an employer-provided phone, and attempt to remove the IT Policy, your attempt will be detected the next time you attempt to log on to the company servers, the IT policy will be pushed back on your phone, and you could face severe disciplinary consequences for violating security.

Most phones on BES are employer-provided, with the employer also paying for the service. In that case, there's no issue: it's a company phone and the company can do what it wishes. There're been several cases like yours, though, where an individual owned their phone, but had it put on BES and was unhappy with the IT restrictions. If you chose to do that, be sure to find out in advance what the policy restricts.
    11-06-08 10:10 PM
    JeffH, thank you for all that very useful information. I will check with IT as soon as I can to see what their policies are. If by chance I don't like their policy/or they don't support blackberry I see the Storm is supporting a full HTML web browser. I have the verizon LG voyager currently which has a full HTML web browser and I am able to view my work email on this. So I should be able to view my work email on the Storms browser correct?

Thanks so much all
    11-07-08 01:20 AM
    Yes, I'd expect web mail to work on the Storm, but I can't confirm it. If you get one and for some unforeseen reason it won't work, you always have 30 days to return it, risk-free.
    11-07-08 10:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD