Sadly, my loyal Q5 is dying,and it's time to move on. I'm one of the die hard BlackBerry users,and Passport has always looked like a dream phone for me.

But now we have the obvious problem of BB10 dying. I don't mind that there will be no new updates,I love the system as it is. The only problems are the apps,and I they will slowly diaper when BB10 officially stops updating. I don't need may apps,but i really like having Android option as well,for a app or two that might pop up. Cobalt's option has been great for me,and there is Snap as well. Do you think this options will be alive for another 2,3 years at least?

Finally, I'm really torn apart and that is why I would appreciate your opinions greatly. Should I get the Passport or go for some other Android phone in that price range?

Posted via CB10
    09-22-16 08:03 AM
    In the short term its fine, but If you need a phone for the next 2 years and more I'd probably think twice about it.

If you're willing to risk it and will be ready to splash out on a new device in case things went downhill really quickly then go for it.

If you want the long term security, explore other options
    09-22-16 08:05 AM
    . Cobalt's option has been great for me,and there is Snap as well. Do you think this options will be alive for another 2,3 years at least?
    No, I don't. I expect that the runtime will be close to unusuable in another year to a year and a half. It is already three android generations old.

Finally, I'm really torn apart and that is why I would appreciate your opinions greatly. Should I get the Passport or go for some other Android phone in that price range?

Posted via CB10
    Depends on how important apps are for you. For me, the ability to email and text was paramount with some Web browsing. I also had to have blackberry bridge with a playbook.

Needless to say, I am not moving to another platform anytime soon. Currently using a Q10 with another Q10 as a backup. Just got a few passports as backups.

Posted via CB10
    09-22-16 08:24 AM
    I recently just traded my Priv for a Passport SE. Right now I'm using my Q10 as my primary, and my LG to run off WiFi, or my hot spot if there is an app that I need at the moment, or for some social media. It doesn't bother me at all to carry around 2 devices. Most of the time I just take my Q10 and it gets me through with no issues. Anyway, I don't think it's too late to get a Passport, if it will fit your needs for what it will do, then it should be fine.
    09-22-16 09:31 AM
    Thanks for the laugh OP

Sent from a Silver Passport.
    09-22-16 09:38 AM
    2 or 3 years? No.

If you want a main phone for a couple years, look elsewhere.
    09-22-16 09:43 AM
    I am selling mine! It is a brand new one, not used once. I sent in my old for repair and they gave me a new one instead.

If you are interested send me a PM
    09-22-16 10:01 AM
    Dear OP , Passport is arguably the greatest ever PKB device still standing gloriously amongst the ruins of BB10. You may decide according to your needs.
    Passport will and shall remain the best ever BlackBerry device I ever used. I have stocks of BlackBerry 10 devices which will surely take me to 2020.

*BlackBerry*Priv  Marshmallow AAG111 on Etisalat 4G Network
    09-22-16 10:34 AM
    Dear OP, I have the Priv and Passport Se as my daily drivers.

*BlackBerry*Priv  Marshmallow AAG111 on Etisalat 4G Network
    09-22-16 10:36 AM
    It is wise to say bye to the Passport, yes.
    09-22-16 10:38 AM
    No it's not wise.
    Just admit to yourself what you already know deep down, and then do the foolish thing that will make you happy.
    09-22-16 10:43 AM
    I say go for it considering that, like me, you think BB10 is excellent and the fact that BlackBerry have a 40% sale at the moment.

Posted via CB10
    09-22-16 10:46 AM
    Wise? That is up to the individual to determine. Would I buy one? Not at retail price. Whomever buys a BB10 device today should do so only if they are ok with the possibility of needing to buy something else within a year.
    TGR1 likes this.
    09-22-16 11:08 AM
    Certainly feasible if you're willing to carry around a small spare Android, unless you truly have no need for anything but email and documents.
    09-22-16 02:05 PM
    Thank you all for your opinions,it really helps to see how others think.

As expected,a lot of divided opinions,just like mine! I really got addicted to the pkb, and I'm not looking forward to switching to an all touch. I can't wait until the new Android pkb phone, Priv is to expensive for me and i really don't like how it looks,so that leaves the Passport.

I have had an Android tablet for years now,so I know my way around the system. And for me BB10 is superior in every way except the apps department.

My app requirement is minimal. Basically I will only miss Whatsapp,but the android version will probably do. But I do like to have an access to the android apps, just in case. For example, I wanted a good audiobook player and the options for BB10 are slim to non. So I got one from play store using Cobalt's method and it works perfectly.

So does anybody have a clue for how long could Cobalt and Snap work? Once again,thank you all for your help!

Posted via CB10
    09-22-16 02:29 PM
    So does anybody have a clue for how long could Cobalt and Snap work? Once again,thank you all for your help!
    They both could be kaput tomorrow, if Google decided that it was worth their effort to stop them from functioning.
    They both could also stop functioning at any time if Google makes changes that the Dev's don't keep up with. Snap just recently came back online after just such a change.
    09-22-16 03:50 PM
    Very wise! I bought 2 more Passport SEs in addition to my current one, as spares.

Posted via CB10
    09-22-16 06:22 PM
    I talked two friends into buy used passports because they like having a pkb and large screen. They don't use many apps and mainly use the device for messaging, email and first and foremost, a phone.

So far they love the devices, so I would say if the price is right and it's fits your needs, then go for it.
    Oshasat likes this.
    09-22-16 06:48 PM
    Buy the Passport. It's on sale now and you will then own the coolest, most unique phone on the planet. Or... join the masses and get some milquetoast glass slab.... boring!! You decide.

Via Q5.

Posted via CB10
    Zeratul57 likes this.
    09-22-16 10:29 PM
    Now that it's being knocked down to the right price (firesale), yes I'd say so.
    09-22-16 10:33 PM
    Passport is pretty inexpensive right now. If you buy it and Snap quits working in say a year or two it wouldn't be like you spent a fortune on the phone. If you were going to buy one, now is the time.
    Avenzuno likes this.
    09-23-16 05:24 AM
    No it's not wise.
    Just admit to yourself what you already know deep down, and then do the foolish thing that will make you happy.
    Well said
    09-23-16 07:32 AM
    2 or 3 years? No.

If you want a main phone for a couple years, look elsewhere.
    I'll easily get 2 - 3 more years out of my Q10, and the Passport has more 'gigs' so...
    09-23-16 10:08 AM
    I'll easily get 2 - 3 more years out of my Q10, and the Passport has more 'gigs' so...
    No doubt that you "could" if you really wanted to....
    09-23-16 10:22 AM
    Love using my passport for browsing and text and e mails appwise tho it's sidelined for my work iphone.
    I do enjoy showing off the passport though it still turns heads, would definitely buy an android version of it!

Swiped on my Passport!
    09-23-16 11:44 AM
69 123