Why has blackberry abandoned wireless charging I loved the wireless points on the bottom on my bold 9700/80 but it disappeared from the launch of the 9900. And now the passport had launch without it as well! Imagine the passport, wireless charging and blend running....that would be the perfect desktop setup. Plus with the combination of hdmi now using the Usb port as well, which in my opinion significantly increases the chance of the Usb port getting damaged.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-14 10:11 AM
    I love the wireless charging on my Z30! Saves on my port as well!
    One of the features that makes me love it even more!!!!!!!
    bull_thumper likes this.
    10-07-14 10:21 AM
    I love the wireless charging on my Z30!
    Ditto . . . I love charging the embedded battery of STA100-3 without connecting any cable.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-14 11:09 AM
    Its not the expense, lower cost phones like the Nexus 5 have it. Perhaps its the slight increase in thickness?
    10-07-14 11:14 AM
    Wireless charging is something I want. , I use charging stands at home and work ,and having to use one hand to hold the stand while using the other to pull the phone off it and push it on is annoying. Before I would just grab it or pop it back on the stand with one hand and be carrying something in the other. Basic multi tasking.

Posted via CB10
    bull_thumper likes this.
    10-07-14 12:05 PM
    Contact charging is not wireless charging as it's commonly referenced in the phone industry. Wireless charging is Qi charging. No contacts. I have it on my N5 and it's great. Lie the phone on the pad and it charges.

It's a design decision. You can get a Qi charging adapter for a Galaxy S5 for less than $10, retail. It's a small coil. Essentially does not add thickness, and the cost is insignificant. For phones with a removable battery, it can be built in the back cover.
    10-07-14 12:24 PM
    Why has blackberry abandoned wireless charging I loved the wireless points on the bottom on my bold 9700/80 but it disappeared from the launch of the 9900.
    Legacy OS devices have never been equipped with wireless charging and STA100-3 (Verizon Wireless-branded Z30) is the only BlackBerry 10 OS device equipped with wireless charging, I suppose.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...erizon-878053/
    Last edited by yhamaie; 10-07-14 at 07:10 PM.
    10-07-14 01:22 PM
    Why has blackberry abandoned wireless charging I loved the wireless points on the bottom on my bold 9700/80 but it disappeared from the launch of the 9900. And now the passport had launch without it as well! Imagine the passport, wireless charging and blend running....that would be the perfect desktop setup. Plus with the combination of hdmi now using the Usb port as well, which in my opinion significantly increases the chance of the Usb port getting damaged.

Posted via CB10
    The Z30 is the only BlackBerry I know of that had wireless charging. The 9780 and 9700 were wired contacts, that had to make a physical connection to tabs in a dock.

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    10-07-14 01:44 PM
    Well then are wired contacts expensive? Doing everything through the usb can't be ideal

Posted via CB10
    10-07-14 02:20 PM
    Please refer to http://crackberry.com/i-miss-my-blackberry-charging-pod .

We're not quite sure why the charging contacts/charging pod were left out on the Z10 and Q10 (most likely just for cost, esthetics or functionality) . . .

UNQUOTE

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-bold-9900-review

The two circles are charging contacts for the always-popular BlackBerry Charging Pod

Is wireless charging too Expensive?-blackberry-bold-9900-bottom.jpg

Is wireless charging too Expensive?-9900_chargingpod.jpg

P.S.

For your information . . . http://fortune.com/2014/07/29/within...without-wires/
    Last edited by yhamaie; 10-07-14 at 07:03 PM.
    10-07-14 06:00 PM
    Contact charging is not wireless charging as it's commonly referenced in the phone industry. Wireless charging is Qi charging. No contacts. I have it on my N5 and it's great. Lie the phone on the pad and it charges.

It's a design decision. You can get a Qi charging adapter for a Galaxy S5 for less than $10, retail. It's a small coil. Essentially does not add thickness, and the cost is insignificant. For phones with a removable battery, it can be built in the back cover.
    I think it's a little more than that. Any phone with optional qi charging backing already has the board to support it. Once the qi is active, it shuts off usb charging. The circuit wont let you charge both at the same time. It has to be designed into the phone if a qi option for the battery cover is ever an option

Posted via CB10
    10-07-14 08:25 PM
    Any phone with optional qi charging backing already has the board to support it. Once the qi is active, it shuts off usb charging. The circuit wont let you charge both at the same time. It has to be designed into the phone if a qi option for the battery cover is ever an option.
    I would agree and I have been wondering why BlackBerry Limited has embedded such feature only in STA100-3 . . . but NOT in the other Z30 models. For instance, STA100-2 cannot be charged wirelessly. (I own an STA100-2 and an STA100-3.)
    10-07-14 09:32 PM
    P.S.

Smart phone devices are increasingly incorporating metal frame structures (versus plastic frame structures), which have made it difficult to position charging contacts on side edges (of metal frame structures).

This is why some manufactures have placed charging contacts on the back of smart phone devices.

Is wireless charging too Expensive?-chargingcontacts.png
    10-08-14 06:50 AM