Good morning all. First post here on Crackberry, though I'm sure there will be many more!

I'm on T-Mo Flex Pay, been with them for 14 mos. Had a Nokia 5610 that died on me last week. No big loss, as I wasn't terribly fond of it. A friend at church gave his old AT&T Pearl 8100. Got it unlocked pretty easily, following advice I'd found here at Crackberry (kudos to cellunlock.net; super fast service!). So far everything seems to be working fine, but I'm still learning my way around.

My buddy got rid of much of his stuff on the Pearl, but there's still some apps, e-mail accts etc on there, and I'd like to get rid of them. It seems to me that it would be easier to learn my way around if I wiped the thing and started "factory fresh". I know from looking around on here that wiping it won't re-lock the phone, so I'm not worried about that. I am wondering about the OS though. I'm running OS v4.5.0.110(Platform 2.7.0.90), and I'm pretty sure that's not the original OS.

Questions:

1. Is there a way to see if this BB has had it's OS updated? A history, or something similar?

2. If I wipe the Pearl, will it also revert back to the original OS? I'm assuming it will, and after reading some of the OS upgrade "horror stories" out there, I'm a little leery of the process, esp as I'm a noob and still learning my way around.

3. I'm not on a data plan with T-Mo yet, so I don't know how that will affect things, if at all. If I have to upgrade the OS after the wipe, can I do it without being OTA?

tia.
    10-06-09 09:13 AM
    Good morning all. First post here on Crackberry, though I'm sure there will be many more!
    Welcome to the Crackberry forums, and the wonderful world of Crackberries in general!

Questions:

1. Is there a way to see if this BB has had it's OS updated? A history, or something similar?

2. If I wipe the Pearl, will it also revert back to the original OS? I'm assuming it will, and after reading some of the OS upgrade "horror stories" out there, I'm a little leery of the process, esp as I'm a noob and still learning my way around.

3. I'm not on a data plan with T-Mo yet, so I don't know how that will affect things, if at all. If I have to upgrade the OS after the wipe, can I do it without being OTA?

tia.
    1.)It has most definitely been upgraded. I think 8100 Pearls originally shipped with OS4.2?
    2.)Your OS will not revert from a wipe. You'd need to actually downgrade intentionally to end up with an older OS.
    FYI, most OS upgrades are super easy. Usually people have problems with Pre-release, or brand new release software.
    3.)You do OS upgrades through BlackBerry Desktop Manager. You need to be able to get online with your PC to get the update, but you don't need an actual data plan.
    You can do the wipe and get everything nice and ready now, and get the T-Mo data plan when you're ready.
    Last edited by smnc; 10-06-09 at 12:46 PM.
    10-06-09 09:41 AM
    Good to hear! Thanks for the response.
    10-06-09 10:47 AM
    Good to hear! Thanks for the response.

There is a "Blackberry 101" series of tutorials here on the site that covers many things including upgrading and downgrading the OS.
    10-06-09 10:51 AM
    No problem
    10-06-09 12:45 PM
    3. I'm not on a data plan with T-Mo yet, so I don't know how that will affect things, if at all. ...
    Your Pearl will be a Phone and SMS text message able. In addition, you can use third party programs to get Internet access with a minimum data plan.

The BlackBerry BIS data plan gives you Email, alwasy the first to know, and BlackBerry Messenger.
    10-06-09 12:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD