Hi,
    I've just followed the instructions on this forum for a "clean update", which involves backing up blackberry, backing up 3rd party apps, wiping phone, installing new OS on PC, and upgrading phone with desktop manager.

I got to the point where I connected to DM but the new OS was nowhere to be seen, and now I've got a bricked blackberry with error 507.

Why didn't DM have my new OS available to install?

Help!
    10-05-08 12:29 PM
    Did you also upgrade your Desktop Manager to the latest version available?
    10-05-08 12:33 PM
    There are only two reasons why the new OS is not being recognized.

First, use Windows Control Panel / Programs and verify the installed OS is a correct match for your device. The model number has to match exactly.

Second, use Windows Computer, select the Drive C: icon. Navigate to C:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader. Scroll to the bottom and delete the file Vendor.xml.

That will fix your problem.
    10-05-08 12:34 PM
    Thanks for replying

I've got 4.6 - I think that's the latest
    10-05-08 12:35 PM
    Yes!!

Thanks Reed!!!

It was the vendor.xml file

I knew about this but I used Crackmem and selected for it to be removed, and so thought it had already been deleted, so I never bothered with this stage. I upgraded from 4.2 to 4.5...55 using this method and I didn't have to manually delete vendor.xml because Crackmem did it for me.

But anyway, thanks loads for putting me straight on that. I was sweating and feeling sick... as only a bricked blackberry can make you feel...
    10-05-08 12:43 PM
    Yes!!

Thanks Reed!!!

It was the vendor.xml file

I knew about this but I used Crackmem and selected for it to be removed, and so thought it had already been deleted, so I never bothered with this stage. I upgraded from 4.2 to 4.5...55 using this method and I didn't have to manually delete vendor.xml because Crackmem did it for me.

But anyway, thanks loads for putting me straight on that. I was sweating and feeling sick... as only a bricked blackberry can make you feel...
    Did I hear you say that CrackMe di nt remove the Vendor.xml file. If so, then something is wrong. I am not comalining at you but CrackMem is supposed to do that especially if you have version 2.6

I am VERY interested to hear what has happened. Are you running Vista?
    10-05-08 12:47 PM
    Hi Pete6, not vista - I'm running XP.
    Not sure I can help you deconstruct what happened as I'm now happily installing the new OS (.81), but I'll try
    10-05-08 12:53 PM
    I used Crackmem 2.5 - but it worked last time I updated my OS
    10-05-08 12:56 PM
    Good, CrackMem has to be as near as possible 100% bulletproof. Yours is one of the very few cases that have been doumented where it has not done what it should so, I am clearly interested. The main thing thoug is that your PC is now up and running.

Given tha you were runnign v2.5, I think that I know wht happened. This is just why 2.6 is out there. The bug was that if you had previously removed a Vendor.xml file and then tried to remove a second copy of Vendor, then it would not because there was a file in both the source and destination folder. 2.6 fixes this so, I'd download that.
    10-05-08 01:05 PM
    Thanks Pete6, I'm going to hunt down 2.6 right now
    10-05-08 01:50 PM
    One of the reasons vendor.xlm is such a pain, it is restored every time you run the OS install. If you forget, it will get you every time.
    10-05-08 01:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD