Is this why we have an easily accessible option to 'refresh' the Windows OS without losing data? How would a refresh work on a dual boot (Win 7/Ubuntu 13.10) computer?

Posted via CB10
    Since Ubuntu doesn't need to be refreshed as often as windows needs to do, you'll need to boot from a live USB/CD and update-grub once you clean install windows. That's how I used to do it (and there's instructions found anywhere on the web to do so). However if you got broken packages, since canonical decided to EXCLUDE synaptic, you're screwed if you haven't yet installed that to fix those, same for dependency issues. I hate ubuntu with a passion for that big mistake, same for forcing the ubuntu software center on people.

Posted via CrackBerry 10 (CB10) application using my BlackBerry Q10.
    04-15-14 07:33 AM
    Back on topic again, if I was to be able to dual boot mint and QNX on a blackberry, I would be in dreamland!

04-15-14 07:34 AM
    Preview of things to come
    04-15-14 09:06 AM
    The things that pushed me away from windows... listing them below. I am a proud linux mint user, learning as I go (and bearing with minor frustrations too), used to use ubuntu up until 12.04 LTS.
    I used to be a heavy Ubuntu user myself; but, from an ethical, privacy, AND security perspective, I cannot bring myself to rely on Ubuntu anymore after the 12.10 controversy.

If you care about privacy or security at all (which is a lot of Blackberry users), you would not use Ubuntu. Ubuntu receives information on all your OS and file searches and then distributes it to third party users like Amazon to sell you merchandise. This information can even be siphoned from a hacker sharing your wifi. While Ubuntu supposedly added an option to turn this shopping lens off, it is still there by default and, knowing Ubuntu is out to track your every move, Canonical cannot be trusted.

Know that you are "paying" to use Ubuntu with level of detail to your private information the NSA doesn't likely even possess and, when you have a paid for OS like Windows to use, relying on an OS with the Ubuntu business model just doesn't make sense. Ubuntu OS is like Amazon Fire OS except you still paid for Windows and don't get a hardware subsidy for using it. Who wants Fire OS on their Android device?
    04-15-14 01:05 PM
    BlackBerry is hurting in the latest marketshare standing.... but the guys in the "others" category lost even more marketshare..... think it was almost negative 80% year over year. I don't think any of these new OS's that are coming on the market are going to ever amount to much.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-15-14 01:34 PM
    I used to be a heavy Ubuntu user myself; but, from an ethical, privacy, AND security perspective, I cannot bring myself to rely on Ubuntu anymore after the 12.10 controversy.

If you care about privacy or security at all (which is a lot of Blackberry users), you would not use Ubuntu. Ubuntu receives information on all your OS and file searches and then distributes it to third party users like Amazon to sell you merchandise. This information can even be siphoned from a hacker sharing your wifi. While Ubuntu supposedly added an option to turn this shopping lens off, it is still there by default and, knowing Ubuntu is out to track your every move, Canonical cannot be trusted.

Know that you are "paying" to use Ubuntu with level of detail to your private information the NSA doesn't likely even possess and, when you have a paid for OS like Windows to use, relying on an OS with the Ubuntu business model just doesn't make sense. Ubuntu OS is like Amazon Fire OS except you still paid for Windows and don't get a hardware subsidy for using it. Who wants Fire OS on their Android device?
    Linux mint, being based on ubuntu, is stripped of those shopping lenses and data "talk back" options that anyone would disable (or wouldn't know about), that is why I don't use ubuntu anymore either. The mint team is very honest and includes a few things that ubuntu/canonical removed, which could fix a system's package management in the event of a screw up. Synaptic is not removed, gdebi is not removed, and nothing is forced through the ubuntu software centre either thank goodness.

Back to the topic... Operating system in general isn't an easy competition. If you called every linux-based operating system Linux, it would be quite big once they're all added up.

04-16-14 08:28 PM
81 ... 234