So does this mean we can pick up a free copy and install ourselves?

For those that hate the modern side and hate the start button being gone it's as simple as doing things a little different. Just have to pin or make a shortcut to things you want and use.
    I doubt it. It's just free for manufacturers.
    04-09-14 11:07 AM
    I doubt it. It's just free for manufacturers.
    Figured that lol.
    04-09-14 11:52 AM
    I use Windows 8.1 on non-touch devices and I think people who complain about Metro/Modern UI are exaggerating its inconvenience. Some people act like they need to vomit when they have to see the tiles and it's silly. It's not that difficult to not click the tiles and ignore them. The only thing you need to use Metro/Modern for is the search.

Of course, I do believe users would have a much more enjoyable experience if they embrace the tiles and keep an open mind rather than shunning them altogether. I enjoy a lot of the Microsoft apps and there are some useful apps here and there in the app store as well, even though the Windows 8 store is pretty barren. I think my favorite app is the Yahoo Finance app. The Mail client is also pretty good. The tile updates pretty frequently and its convenient to have a unified interface to access all your email. Camera, Alarm, and Sound Recorder are all nice apps to have, even though I never use them.

I could never use Mac OS, btw, so I can't relate with the people who jumped ship at all. It's almost exactly the same as Windows; but, the lack of windows snapping makes multitasking a pain. Also, windows don't maximize to full screen like they should and zooming in and out of the web browser is just quirky; esp. how it affects the windows size. This is coming from a Ubuntu/Fedora/etc. user as well so I'm very open to new OSes; but, Mac just isn't my thing.
    Last edited by sentimentGX4; 04-09-14 at 02:53 PM.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-09-14 02:42 PM
    I still find it hard to believe that there are actually people belly aching about Windows 8. It is hilarious to me because I know the ONLY thing they could possible not like about it is the Metro UI and that takes all of three minutes to disable completely with a free download.

All of my computers run Windows 8.1 now, but they've always worked and looked just like Windows 7. The only difference is with Windows 8, they run much much better. Games especially run faster with Windows 8 compared to Windows 7. Oh well, Windows 8 haters seem to be a strange, ill-informed bunch of people that are missing out on the best OS Microsoft has ever made simply because they didn't know any better.

Here guys, it is called Classic Shell. Download it and you can have the old UI back, with all of the new performance improvements that came with Windows 8. My PCs boot into Windows 7 mode and never show the new UI. Enjoy!
    Totally right. Major improvements in the copy dialog. Actually let's you select individual files to overwrite or keep, with tickboxes! Have been waiting for that for years, also you can have multiple copy processes running simultaneously, and they can be found together in one dialog box. Guess what, I can PAUSE COPY now. That alone will NEVER make me look back to Win7, that laggy Vista beef-up version 6.1.

I have installed Win8 on an old dual-core with 512MB RAM accidentally (had removed all sticks, to test the 512MB one), and it ran fine!

Classic Shell (or a dozen other clones) fixes any drama someone my have regarding the UI.

"No Q10?" -> "Buy from Chen... "
    04-09-14 04:13 PM
    Im talking basic tasks on 8.1 for laptop....like right clicking a file for options takes much longer then it ever did on windows 7. Honestly I find the OS extremely disappointing if im being honest. I'll still stay windows over mac because Macs are waaaay over priced for what u get, an i'm not drinking that kool-aid....but I feel regret upgrading to windows 8.

Posted via CB10
    Windows 8 has been universally said to be a performance improvement over Windows 7. And one area where it made pretty good improvements was in File Operations not to mention the Windows Explorer in Windows 8 is more stable than the one in Windows 7. Windows 8 is more stable, more secure, better optimized/performing than Windows 7. Windows 7, however, was a great OS and because it was so good there is not much need to upgrade for a lot of users.

If you get over the Start Screen, Windows 8 is fine. The only people who seem to have issues with Windows 8 are the people who feel like they have to use the Start Screen or Metro Apps simply because they're there.

Also, things have improved quite a bit with the 8.1 Service Pack from a Mouse/Keyboard perspective.

There is no such thing as "right clicking on a file for options taking longer in Windows 8 than Windows 7" unless your computer or hard drive is dying. Windows 8 is a leaner, faster OS than Windows 7 ever was.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-09-14 04:26 PM
    Windows 8 has been universally said to be a performance improvement over Windows 7. And one area where it made pretty good improvements was in File Operations not to mention the Windows Explorer in Windows 8 is more stable than the one in Windows 7. Windows 8 is more stable, more secure, better optimized/performing than Windows 7. Windows 7, however, was a great OS and because it was so good there is not much need to upgrade for a lot of users.

If you get over the Start Screen, Windows 8 is fine. The only people who seem to have issues with Windows 8 are the people who feel like they have to use the Start Screen or Metro Apps simply because they're there.

Also, things have improved quite a bit with the 8.1 Service Pack from a Mouse/Keyboard perspective.

There is no such thing as "right clicking on a file for options taking longer in Windows 8 than Windows 7" unless your computer or hard drive is dying. Windows 8 is a leaner, faster OS than Windows 7 ever was.
    Really good point in any way you look at it. Windows 8 is miled better in performance and stability, rarely any spinning circles and the like. Even better on SSD or SSHD (hybrid hard disks).

kbz1960 likes this.
    04-10-14 12:29 AM
    Really good point in any way you look at it. Windows 8 is miled better in performance and stability, rarely any spinning circles and the like. Even better on SSD or SSHD (hybrid hard disks).

Agree, and to be honest, metro apps have their place as well. They deliver the convenience of a mobile operating system to the desktop. I use them where aopropriate, even though I spend most of my time on the desktop. Not many developers are delivering top not metro apps for RT/8.1 but it's improving. Microsoft apps cover the basics and are good quality.

I do think that design language looks better on smaller screens though.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-10-14 12:56 AM
    I just bought an Asus VivoTab 8 to replace my PlayBook (well, almost replace, because I haven't found decent Globe and Mail and National Post apps for Windows). It's running full Windows 8.1, not RT, and I simply love this tablet.

Full Office was the deal closer for me, but I didn't realise that I would actually get a full computer in an 8" package. I have true multitasking, including up to 3 windows open at the same time (can't open more for practical reasons, and I don't think the OS allows it anyway). The interface is great once you get used to it - very much like BB10 was for us a year ago.

I also have it on a 1-year-old touchscreen laptop, but I tend to use the desktop mode when I'm using it. And that's the great thing about Win8.1 - it lets you keep your old habits if you need to.

I should note that I've been a Mac and Linux user since 2007, so this is a big change for me. And I suppose everyone's needs are different - I don't plan on loading any games on the tablet, it's strictly a business device. But it makes me very upset looking at my old PB and thinking what it might have been. Time to move on and embrace a better device and operating system.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-10-14 09:52 AM
    I just bought an Asus VivoTab 8 to replace my PlayBook (well, almost replace, because I haven't found decent Globe and Mail and National Post apps for Windows). It's running full Windows 8.1, not RT, and I simply love this tablet.

Full Office was the deal closer for me, but I didn't realise that I would actually get a full computer in an 8" package. I have true multitasking, including up to 3 windows open at the same time (can't open more for practical reasons, and I don't think the OS allows it anyway). The interface is great once you get used to it - very much like BB10 was for us a year ago.

I also have it on a 1-year-old touchscreen laptop, but I tend to use the desktop mode when I'm using it. And that's the great thing about Win8.1 - it lets you keep your old habits if you need to.

I should note that I've been a Mac and Linux user since 2007, so this is a big change for me. And I suppose everyone's needs are different - I don't plan on loading any games on the tablet, it's strictly a business device. But it makes me very upset looking at my old PB and thinking what it might have been. Time to move on and embrace a better device and operating system.

Posted via CB10
    Agree. I love my Toshiba Encore. Has it's quirks but everything does. It's much more functional than my pb ever was and as you said a desktop in an 8" screen. I just wish they made the desktop side so it would pinch zoom.
    04-10-14 11:18 AM
    Windows 8 is **** on laptops/computers. It may run faster but that doesn't change the fact that it looks disgusting and is harder to navigate on. It was made for phones and should stay on phones imo. Windows 7 is good enough for me

Posted using my z10 running Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.2141
    04-10-14 11:48 AM
    Windows 8 is **** on laptops/computers. It may run faster but that doesn't change the fact that it looks disgusting and is harder to navigate on. It was made for phones and should stay on phones imo. Windows 7 is good enough for me

Then stay with 7. I had 8 on my laptop. It was faster, smoother and all around better. I ignored the modern side but not on my tablet. The 1 and only reason I went back to 7 is because Lenovo hasn't and isn't releasing a power management driver for my model. Every time it went to sleep I had to hold the power button to turn it off and then turn it on again. Otherwise it would still be running 8.
    04-10-14 11:55 AM

I guess you haven't tried windows 8.1 update 1, which was released 2 days ago. They made many improvements just for desktop users.
    04-10-14 07:45 PM
    Then stay with 7. I had 8 on my laptop. It was faster, smoother and all around better. I ignored the modern side but not on my tablet. The 1 and only reason I went back to 7 is because Lenovo hasn't and isn't releasing a power management driver for my model. Every time it went to sleep I had to hold the power button to turn it off and then turn it on again. Otherwise it would still be running 8.
    Which model? I have a thinkpad e420s and they released the driver few weeks later. IDK about other models though. Lenovo isn't that great with driver updates, especially for older models.
    04-10-14 07:49 PM
    Which model? I have a thinkpad e420s and they released the driver few weeks later. IDK about other models though. Lenovo isn't that great with driver updates, especially for older models.
    It's an ideapad, at work and can't think of the model number right now.
    04-11-14 08:25 AM
    ...Also, you shouldn't really mention the BB10 UI in this discussion. Microsoft actually created their UI, BlackBerry copied their UI from MeeGo. I'm sure you'd like Microsoft's UI just as much as BB10's if they had stolen from MeeGo as well. They didn't do that though.
    Maybe they didn't steal from MeeGo but they stole from Apple, who stole from Xerox. There is nothing wrong with seeing a great idea and running with it, making it better.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-14 10:32 AM
    Regarding the OP, it was never said BlackBerry are focusing on BB OS7.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-14 10:51 AM
    Maybe they didn't steal from MeeGo but they stole from Apple, who stole from Xerox. There is nothing wrong with seeing a great idea and running with it, making it better.

Posted via CB10
    Microsoft stole the Windows Phone UI from Apple?

I'm assuming we're trying to stay on topic and make sense in this thread...

04-14-14 04:03 PM

If someone says MS stole WP's UI. Then they're the dumbest person to walk this earth
    kbz1960, Etios and JeepBB like this.
    04-14-14 10:49 PM

Forget it. I thought my analogy was clear. Now I'm too far off topic.

Posted via CB10
    04-14-14 11:59 PM
    You all can't seem to stop talking about desktop windows and its history. It is simply not relevant to this thread. Come on people.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-15-14 01:51 AM
    The things that pushed me away from windows... listing them below. I am a proud linux mint user, learning as I go (and bearing with minor frustrations too), used to use ubuntu up until 12.04 LTS. It is completely free, and you don't get assigned an administrator account after setup, cannot login as that either, unless you explicitly do so in recovery mode, which most won't do anyways. Plus it comes with everything the average person would use anyways, it's themable and all too. There are games, steam and a few other steam-like clients too.

I don't hate on anyone who uses windows, but microsoft, I wish they would base it off the linux kernel instead. Think of that. Opinions are my own. (PS. I don't like the latest greatest either, and hated the fact my 13 year old system passed on in february).

1. Dependency on virtual memory. Try restricting it to 16MB minimum, 32MB maximum. You'll have to launch System Properties, jump into Advanced System Settings, jump into the performance and features section (or just click each tab until you find virtual memory), uncheck the option to allow windows to automatically manage it, set the page file settings for the main partition/hard disk, enter the values I mentioned and click Set Page File, OK, OK. Reboot when prompted... See how far you will get before it tells you that "sorry, you are out of memory" error! Also, don't think turning it off will work either: It'll create a temporary page file in the MFT area, where YOU CANNOT delete or find it. (sorry about the HHUUGGEE paragraph)

2. Swiss cheese security, you have administrative rights to FCSK UP your system and everything runs, though with a less than vista annoying prompting asking you if you wanna allow it. I did it in less than 3 minutes... imagine what a novice could do using internet explorer alone...

3. Not compatible with any hardware that LACKS the "no execute bit/execute bit disable, XB/XD support", it will not even boot up on the install DVD.

4. (because of virtual memory mainly, malware being second) it makes your computer feel "old" or "broken", when in reality, it is NOT (as long as everything works fine before it boots and you tried it with ANOTHER operating system), that is DECEPTION RIGHT THERE! I have seen so many people talk about throwing theirs out because of this. It causes waste to also be produced in the long run.

5. Windows 7 is 6.2.xxxx, Windows 8/8.1 is 6.3.0000. Microsoft sure got their version numbers wrong for calling it something it isn't. Believe me not? Click Help > About Windows (or any windows-based program).

Posted via CrackBerry 10 (CB10) application using my BlackBerry Q10.
    04-15-14 02:20 AM
    Back on topic. I wouldn't want windows on *any* blackberry.

04-15-14 02:21 AM
    The things that pushed me away from windows... listing them below. I am a proud linux mint user, learning as I go (and bearing with minor frustrations too), used to use ubuntu up until 12.04 LTS. It is completely free, and you don't get assigned an administrator account after setup, cannot login as that either, unless you explicitly do so in recovery mode, which most won't do anyways. Plus it comes with everything the average person would use anyways, it's themable and all too. There are games, steam and a few other steam-like clients too.

I don't hate on anyone who uses windows, but microsoft, I wish they would base it off the linux kernel instead. Think of that. Opinions are my own. (PS. I don't like the latest greatest either, and hated the fact my 13 year old system passed on in february).

1. Dependency on virtual memory. Try restricting it to 16MB minimum, 32MB maximum. You'll have to launch System Properties, jump into Advanced System Settings, jump into the performance and features section (or just click each tab until you find virtual memory), uncheck the option to allow windows to automatically manage it, set the page file settings for the main partition/hard disk, enter the values I mentioned and click Set Page File, OK, OK. Reboot when prompted... See how far you will get before it tells you that "sorry, you are out of memory" error! Also, don't think turning it off will work either: It'll create a temporary page file in the MFT area, where YOU CANNOT delete or find it. (sorry about the HHUUGGEE paragraph)

2. Swiss cheese security, you have administrative rights to FCSK UP your system and everything runs, though with a less than vista annoying prompting asking you if you wanna allow it. I did it in less than 3 minutes... imagine what a novice could do using internet explorer alone...

3. Not compatible with any hardware that LACKS the "no execute bit/execute bit disable, XB/XD support", it will not even boot up on the install DVD.

4. (because of virtual memory mainly, malware being second) it makes your computer feel "old" or "broken", when in reality, it is NOT (as long as everything works fine before it boots and you tried it with ANOTHER operating system), that is DECEPTION RIGHT THERE! I have seen so many people talk about throwing theirs out because of this. It causes waste to also be produced in the long run.

5. Windows 7 is 6.2.xxxx, Windows 8/8.1 is 6.3.0000. Microsoft sure got their version numbers wrong for calling it something it isn't. Believe me not? Click Help > About Windows (or any windows-based program).

Is this why we have an easily accessible option to 'refresh' the Windows OS without losing data? How would a refresh work on a dual boot (Win 7/Ubuntu 13.10) computer?

Posted via CB10
    04-15-14 07:06 AM
    Back to tablets and things relevant to BlackBerry - has anyone tried to pair a Win tablet and a Q10, and use the Q10 as a BT keyboard? Would it work the other way as well - could we use the tablet as a bigger screen for the Q10?

I know the 'view on' function on the PB, but it was painfully slow. I'm hoping things will be faster with 2GB devices.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-14 07:11 AM
    Back to tablets and things relevant to BlackBerry - has anyone tried to pair a Win tablet and a Q10, and use the Q10 as a BT keyboard? Would it work the other way as well - could we use the tablet as a bigger screen for the Q10?

I know the 'view on' function on the PB, but it was painfully slow. I'm hoping things will be faster with 2GB devices.

Posted via CB10
    I was able to do that with linux mint, but in order for that to work, bridge MUST be pared to a playbook tablet, even if it's not yours. I was able to use my 9900 as a bluetooth mouse and keyboard, then had to re-pair after a reboot since it would break again. This being on linux mint 13 and windows 7, XP wouldn't even work. Haven't tried it with my Q10 yet however.

04-15-14 07:29 AM
81 1234