I find it ironic that people are bashing Windows/Windows Phone for lowering the price of entry to gain more market share while at the same time, praise the Z3.
    JeepBB likes this.
    04-06-14 08:26 PM
    I find it ironic that people are bashing Windows/Windows Phone for lowering the price of entry to gain more market share while at the same time, praise the Z3.
    That depends on what OS drives what device. I personally find that android works a lot better on a tablet than on a phone, and I had both. Or used to had an android phone (now carrying a z10 and a lumia 525 as a test backup device)

Posted via CB on BB10
    04-06-14 08:36 PM
    I'm sure many OEMs will take a serious look at revisiting WP devices. I'm just curious as to how quickly they will adopt if they can't differentiate their devices from other competitors.

Sent from my T100TA using Tapatalk
    All of the minor, developing world OEMs barely maintain their own UI. Of the major OEMs, I have never heard any praise for any Android OEM UI other than for HTC's Sense and occasionally parts of Samsung. Sense clearly hasn't bolstered HTC enough to keep it from going down the crapper and many of Samsung's best selling points could be stuffed into an app.

Blackberry could be considered one of the biggest UI differentiator experiments on the market and look where it got it. Consumers aren't batting an eye and the Z10 is performing eons worse than any stock Android device would. The same could be said for WebOS and Windows Phone itself.

Software differentiation on smartphones is overrated. It's become evident at this point that current UI customization is not meaningful or of value to consumers. The ecosystem problem is more of an obstacle to Windows Phone, IMO. Many OEMs would still be willing to pay for its consumers' access to apps.
    cgk likes this.
    04-06-14 08:43 PM
    BlackBerry can't really do this and I'm not sure it should. If the focus is enterprise and security then focus on that. This move is driven to compete with Android and iOS in the consumer market. BlackBerry just can't compete on that level.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-14 09:06 PM
    BlackBerry can't really do this and I'm not sure it should. If the focus is enterprise and security then focus on that. This move is driven to compete with Android and iOS in the consumer market. BlackBerry just can't compete on that level.

Posted via CB10
    As BlackBerry BB10 isn't a full platform, I agree that BlackBerry can't do this. Unfortunately they would still have more luck licensing BBOS as their are markets where there is demand for BIS and BBM.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-14 05:41 AM

Posted via CB10
    Sort of - yes MSFT wants to grow consumers because that adds volume and makes the platform more attractive but this is part of an overall strategy to make all of the different bits of MSFT more attractive to both enterprises and consumers. So if you are an enterprise like mine and are a 0365 shop, it was just easier to equip people with low cost 520s.
    04-07-14 05:56 AM
    Interesting move.

TRSBB, I would suspect that BBRY has been tacitly open to licensing for a long time. It's all conjecture on my part, but I suspect that OEMs would wonder what they'd get out of it.
    Probably nothing.For the same reason Microsoft finally decided to drop the Windows Phone fees for now ... outside of Nokia, none of them were giving a rat's arse enough to put any effort into Windows Phone devices, when Google was giving away Android for free.
    04-07-14 06:01 AM
    They aren't all that well set up to do it. Dropping discussions about BlackBerry 10 and Windows Phone as OSes, Microsoft's bread and butter is OEM sales. They've been doing it for decades and are the biggest company in the world. Can't think of a lot of OEM deals BlackBerry has ever done. They'd be starting from scratch almost against a company who's best in class at OEM distribution.
    04-07-14 06:03 AM
    All of the minor, developing world OEMs barely maintain their own UI. Of the major OEMs, I have never heard any praise for any Android OEM UI other than for HTC's Sense and occasionally parts of Samsung. Sense clearly hasn't bolstered HTC enough to keep it from going down the crapper and many of Samsung's best selling points could be stuffed into an app.

Blackberry could be considered one of the biggest UI differentiator experiments on the market and look where it got it. Consumers aren't batting an eye and the Z10 is performing eons worse than any stock Android device would. The same could be said for WebOS and Windows Phone itself.

Software differentiation on smartphones is overrated. It's become evident at this point that current UI customization is not meaningful or of value to consumers. The ecosystem problem is more of an obstacle to Windows Phone, IMO. Many OEMs would still be willing to pay for its consumers' access to apps.
    I agree with this, for the most part. But at the same time, that's viewing it from the consumer side. However, the major OEM's view it from a different perspective. They're going to want to include their custom features. I'm no fan of Sense/Touch-Wiz/etc.. myself (the first thing I do is revert to Nova Launcher to get the vanilla feel back). However, UI aside, each of the major OEMs do incorporate manufacturer specific features or modifications which differentiates them to users of their devices. ie.. Samsung's multi-tasking/task-switching modifications, HTC's better contacts/people management and camera features, etc..

I'm sure the OEMs will give WP a serious look, and will probably give it a shot. I'm just a bit skeptical as to how much effort they put into it. Some of them have tried building WP devices before, with very little success. However, I'm not convinced that it was the licensing cost that had made success difficult.
    04-07-14 08:03 AM
    Microsoft makes Windows free on phones, small tablets, and gizmos - but not PCs | PCWorld

So Microsoft is making Windows 8.1 free for device manufacturers..
    That's probably because Windows Vista II... I mean Windows 8 did so miserably and has been hated so much. Now they are getting desperate for some kind of 8.1 adoption.

They need to give it out for free to people to use it. And you know what? It will still be terrible and still die in the market . If you can't get anyone to take your product because on its ability, you try to find other ways to force it on the market.

Posted via CB from my LE
    04-07-14 10:59 AM
    That's probably because Windows Vista II... I mean Windows 8 did so miserably and has been hated so much. Now they are getting desperate for some kind of 8.1 adoption.

They need to give it out for free to people to use it. And you know what? It will still be terrible and still die in the market . If you can't get anyone to take your product because on its ability, you try to find other ways to force it on the market.

Posted via CB from my LE
    For PC's perhaps. But this licensing development is for phones/tablets, of which the OS is actually very nice.
    04-07-14 01:24 PM
    For PC's perhaps. But this licensing development is for phones/tablets, of which the OS is actually very nice.
    I build for the platform. They are not pleasant to build for. I don't like the single tone sliding tabs look - I don't like how the settings and menu items look. The enormous font look is unattractive to me, and any application requiring something somewhat complex is cumbersome and typically poorly made. Further I find the store full of piracy.

I was referring to the same OS as you. I don't like the platform and they would need to pay me to use the platform daily.

Posted via CB from my LE
    04-07-14 02:17 PM
    Yes, Android is free. ...
    Actually, thanks to microsoft legal, it isn't free for many manufacturers. Therefore WP8 is now cheaper than android.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-14 02:35 PM
    Actually, thanks to microsoft legal, it isn't free for many manufacturers. Therefore WP8 is now cheaper than android.

Posted via CB10
    The draw of Android is the ecosystem, not just the price.

I'm betting BBRY has been open to free licensing for a while. Without the ecosystem... though
    04-07-14 02:42 PM
    I still find it hard to believe that there are actually people belly aching about Windows 8. It is hilarious to me because I know the ONLY thing they could possible not like about it is the Metro UI and that takes all of three minutes to disable completely with a free download.

All of my computers run Windows 8.1 now, but they've always worked and looked just like Windows 7. The only difference is with Windows 8, they run much much better. Games especially run faster with Windows 8 compared to Windows 7. Oh well, Windows 8 haters seem to be a strange, ill-informed bunch of people that are missing out on the best OS Microsoft has ever made simply because they didn't know any better.

Here guys, it is called Classic Shell. Download it and you can have the old UI back, with all of the new performance improvements that came with Windows 8. My PCs boot into Windows 7 mode and never show the new UI. Enjoy!
    04-08-14 09:12 AM
    Best OS for Microsoft maybe; but simplicity, ease of use, and problem free it is not.
    Very temped to install Classic Shell. By doing so, instead of learning the new UI and move forward, you admitted defeat by installing a third party program to down grade the UI. If the customers are force to do this, is a fail on Microsoft's part.
    BB10 is an example of a great UI, after using it, no way am I going back to the others.
    04-08-14 11:28 AM
    I agree, I'd rather Metro not exist or be optional. Without a touch screen, it is just a pain in the rear, but the fact of the matter is the rest of the OS is awesome. I get a kick out of all the people who spend hours bellyaching about a problem that could be solved in minutes.

Besides, we're talking about a PC. Who in the right mind buys a PC and doesn't install third party programs on it? Also, you shouldn't really mention the BB10 UI in this discussion. Microsoft actually created their UI, BlackBerry copied their UI from MeeGo. I'm sure you'd like Microsoft's UI just as much as BB10's if they had stolen from MeeGo as well. They didn't do that though.
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    04-08-14 12:16 PM
    Have been on win8 since initial release and upgraded to 8.1 in early December. The is was fast and is now even faster. Upgraded my 84yr old father as he was having too many challenges with OSX and iOS. He absolutely loves the win8.1 as do I and my wife. Nine of us understand all the complaints other than humans don't like change. Embrace the new is and learn all the shortcuts and amazing new features and you might be surprised.

Going in wanting to hate it and dislike it and you will fulfill your prophecy.

My wife and I also have the Surface Pro which we have upgraded in December to win8.1 and simply live this device. We have ditched out old desktops, laptops and tablets and one device does everything.

My brothers, sister inlaws, nieces and nephews have all purchased Mac books and I pads at more than double the cost and they carry 2 devices. Just too expensive for me when one device at less than half the price with all the functionality and more does the trick.

The key to bridging old windows and new is installing a small app such as Classic Shell and then all the UI nuances with the new is disappear.

I wouldn't trade win8.1 for any os nor my Surface Pro (except for a Pro 2).

Posted via CB10
    04-08-14 07:07 PM
    I agree, I'd rather Metro not exist or be optional. Without a touch screen, it is just a pain in the rear, but the fact of the matter is the rest of the OS is awesome. I get a kick out of all the people who spend hours bellyaching about a problem that could be solved in minutes.

Besides, we're talking about a PC. Who in the right mind buys a PC and doesn't install third party programs on it? Also, you shouldn't really mention the BB10 UI in this discussion. Microsoft actually created their UI, BlackBerry copied their UI from MeeGo. I'm sure you'd like Microsoft's UI just as much as BB10's if they had stolen from MeeGo as well. They didn't do that though.
    Absolutely not a downgrade. Metro UI is great for touch and pen interface. Use it all the time. However, my desktop does not have a touch screen and I can't bother to purchase a touch device for the desktop when something as simple and free as Classic Shell solves the desktop UI challenges in win8.

You may see it as a downgrade but you would be in the minority. It is what Microsoft should have rolled out. I personally have no problems with different UIs between power keyboard/mouse vs touch/pen and frankly much prefer the differences.

IMHO MS should embrace both camps and not force the metro UI on power key boarders. Just get classic shell and all is solved.

Posted via CB10
    Raddin likes this.
    04-08-14 07:14 PM
    Absolutely not a downgrade. Metro UI is great for touch and pen interface. Use it all the time. However, my desktop does not have a touch screen and I can't bother to purchase a touch device for the desktop when something as simple and free as Classic Shell solves the desktop UI challenges in win8.

You may see it as a downgrade but you would be in the minority. It is what Microsoft should have rolled out. I personally have no problems with different UIs between power keyboard/mouse vs touch/pen and frankly much prefer the differences.

IMHO MS should embrace both camps and not force the metro UI on power key boarders. Just get classic shell and all is solved.

Posted via CB10
    I think you may have misunderstood me. I should have been more clear in my post. I don't mind the new UI at all, I just don't like it on non touch device. It is one of those things that really require a touch screen to use properly. I would rather it not be on my PCs at all only because I don't have a touch screen on any of them. And I agree, Microsoft shouldn't be trying to force those of us who use keyboard an mouse to use a interface that is meant to be used on a touch screen.
    04-08-14 07:39 PM
    They ain't - you can set your PC to boot directly to desktop and stay there...

sent from my bright red Nexus 5
    iN8ter likes this.
    04-09-14 07:36 AM
    I still find it hard to believe that there are actually people belly aching about Windows 8. It is hilarious to me because I know the ONLY thing they could possible not like about it is the Metro UI and that takes all of three minutes to disable completely with a free download.

All of my computers run Windows 8.1 now, but they've always worked and looked just like Windows 7. The only difference is with Windows 8, they run much much better. Games especially run faster with Windows 8 compared to Windows 7. Oh well, Windows 8 haters seem to be a strange, ill-informed bunch of people that are missing out on the best OS Microsoft has ever made simply because they didn't know any better.

Here guys, it is called Classic Shell. Download it and you can have the old UI back, with all of the new performance improvements that came with Windows 8. My PCs boot into Windows 7 mode and never show the new UI. Enjoy!
    I use classic shell on just about all my Win8 machines too that I deal with. I left my laptop with their own UI so I could judge the updates and I have to say it is a piece of garbage. I haven't loaded yesterdays updates yet to see what else is "new".
    04-09-14 07:57 AM
    So does this mean we can pick up a free copy and install ourselves?

For those that hate the modern side and hate the start button being gone it's as simple as doing things a little different. Just have to pin or make a shortcut to things you want and use.
    04-09-14 08:50 AM
    Dude I have a 1000 laptop with windows 8.1 and its awful. I always never wanted a mac, but I can totally see the appeal.....the new windows is pretty poor, and is coded terribly imho.

Posted via CB10
    Microsoft is garbage....pure garbage. I don't know anyone who likes Microsoft Windows. Is not something that Microsoft employees who post here want to hear but it is the truth.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-14 09:34 AM
    Microsoft is garbage....pure garbage. I don't know anyone who likes Microsoft Windows. Is not something that Microsoft employees who post here want to hear but it is the truth.

Posted via CB10
    I wouldn't say no one. I like it.

So what do they and you like?
    04-09-14 09:51 AM
81 1234