stumbled on this article.. found it to be an interesting read... would love to hear some opinions on the matter..... is Windows phone 8.1 gunning for Blackberry's spot in the business market???

Windows Phone 8.1: Microsoft builds the new BlackBerry | CITEworld
    04-15-14 12:03 PM
    I have heard actually that there are some major enterprises in the US that are going to migrate to Windows.

Posted via CB10
    riss89 likes this.
    04-15-14 12:14 PM
    We are still a long way from the whole "internet of things" being an real and everyday option.
    I know several business that have recently upgraded hardware and software - they were still using old XP machines. They are now looking at also doing some tablets and smartphones to match the Windows desktop experience.

The whole Microsoft Office subscription per user with multiple installations allows business to provide a user with the TOOLS they need no matter the form factor.

And IT people know how Microsoft stuff works.... they may love to complain about Microsoft to everyone. But try setting up a Linux Server with users in the same time you can a Windows Server. I tried to setup a BES Server for personal use - at $19 a year for a license and the Server is free....quickly figured out that was more than I wanted to attempt.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-15-14 01:48 PM
    I've read stuff like that as well. MS has cleared some security certifications that only BlackBerry has held up to this point, and MS has a slight advantage in that their entire enterprise system from start to finish (server side to workstation to mobile) all fit together fluidly. One thing's for sure, they're definitely trying for it.
    Laura Knotek and riss89 like this.
    04-15-14 01:52 PM
    And IT people know how Microsoft stuff works.... they may love to complain about Microsoft to everyone. But try setting up a Linux Server with users in the same time you can a Windows Server. I tried to setup a BES Server for personal use - at $19 a year for a license and the Server is free....quickly figured out that was more than I wanted to attempt.
    I can setup a Linux server in about the same time as a Windows one. There is much more configuring in a Windows 2008 and on server to get it configured so it runs smooth with all the services that you need. A good enterprise Linux server like SUSE will be just the same as a Windows server. And I don't know what you are trying to prove with your BES server install on Windows. Are you saying that you couldn't figure out how to get a Windows server up and running with BES? Shows that 2008 and up Windows servers have much more configuration to get them running.
    04-15-14 01:58 PM
    heftier competition in the business and enterprise sector is the last thing that Blackberry needs at this point, even with Chen moving a lot of the company's focus to services provided and what not
    04-21-14 01:02 PM
    Microsoft has latent huge advantage compared to any mobile platforms out there when it comes to enterprise. Microsoft provides end to end solution when it comes to enterprise software system and they keep improving in that sector with the recent installment of new CEO. Once Microsoft gets all the security certifications it needs and has a breakthrough into highly regulated industries with Windows Phone platform, it will be very difficult for any other mobile platform to get a hold. The story then repeats the way BlackBerry did by starting from enterprise down to regular consumers, but with a huge difference, Microsoft provides end-to-end system, from database, email server, networking stack, device management, and so on. Microsoft Exchange, SQL Server, Windows Server, Office Suite, etc are already part of enterprise staples of system. Google is working hard to chip away at those advantages.

While it is true that Microsoft stuffs come with its own warts, annoyances and what-nots, but they are familiar warts, annoyances and what-nots if an enterprise is already a Microsoft shop.
    04-21-14 01:52 PM
    I still think Blackberry's most significant threat to Blackberry's position in the business world is itself.

The company is unstable and lacks direction. Blackberry has disseminated rumors more than once of selling itself or closing down its handset division. In terms of direction, despite talk about focus on enterprise, Blackberry has done little to add value for enterprise consumers. As a matter of fact, a major technological transition to a completely new OS is likely an IT nightmare.
    SmileDahling and richardat like this.
    04-21-14 01:59 PM
    I still think Blackberry's most significant threat to Blackberry's position in the business world is itself.

The company is unstable and lacks direction. Blackberry has disseminated rumors more than once of selling itself or closing down its handset division. In terms of direction, despite talk about focus on enterprise, Blackberry has done little to add value for enterprise consumers. As a matter of fact, a major technological transition to a completely new OS is likely an IT nightmare.
    Do you run the IT for an Enterprise?
    04-21-14 02:44 PM
    MS is definitely the biggest threat to BB now. They've virtually left the consumer space to Apple/Google to concentrate on enterprise where the profit margins are fat and MS is gearing up for a long protracted effort to dominate that space by providing end-to-end solutions.
    04-21-14 02:57 PM
    MS can't even get a unified Windows 8 desktop experience going. I have doubts that their mobile is any better. Maybe their new CEO can shake things up.
    04-21-14 04:20 PM
    MS can't even get a unified Windows 8 desktop experience going. I have doubts that their mobile is any better. Maybe their new CEO can shake things up.
    While that might be true with their Windows 8 UI fiasco, they are making progress with Windows 8.1. Typical Microsoft as they usually fail miserably with 1.0 product and then they work hard to improve the product at 1.1. BlackBerry also failed miserably with 10.0, and 10.2.1 is now so much more improved. The big difference is, Microsoft can afford to fail miserably repeatedly before it starts to hurt, but BlackBerry only had one chance to get it right out of the door with BlackBerry 10. They failed with the reboot fiasco of 10.0 and then with failed marketing, high rate of returns, and so forth and it certainly hurt to no end.
    04-21-14 04:50 PM
    Can't manage windows 8 phones / tablets with bes or other popular services.

So not until that happens.

Posted via CB10
    04-21-14 05:21 PM

People here talk as though BB has the business world locked up. Apple is #1 in business and has been for some time now. It would be up to BB to at least keep hold of what it has now, let alone turn it around. Frankly, it makes little sense for most businesses to stay with BB right now - migration plans could and probably are in place, for most of what's left. Though I suspect it's very little now - I think BB's position in business is actually being carefully hidden and is probably very very tiny now.

I think Apple overwhelmingly owns the corporate market at the moment.
    04-21-14 05:34 PM
    While that might be true with their Windows 8 UI fiasco, they are making progress with Windows 8.1. Typical Microsoft as they usually fail miserably with 1.0 product and then they work hard to improve the product at 1.1. BlackBerry also failed miserably with 10.0, and 10.2.1 is now so much more improved. The big difference is, Microsoft can afford to fail miserably repeatedly before it starts to hurt, but BlackBerry only had one chance to get it right out of the door with BlackBerry 10. They failed with the reboot fiasco of 10.0 and then with failed marketing, high rate of returns, and so forth and it certainly hurt to no end.
    if you mean "making progress" by re-instituting the start menu/button and other legacy functions from win xp/7, then sure why not, they're "making progress". still doesn't change my opinion.
    04-22-14 03:09 PM
    People here talk as though BB has the business world locked up. Apple is #1 in business and has been for some time now. ....

I think Apple overwhelmingly owns the corporate market at the moment.
    In what capacity? Number of mobile devices deployed? There's more to the enterprise market than devices. Does Apple -- or anybody else -- have an MDM solution that's anywhere near the penetration of BES? I don't think so ... and that's why people typically equate BB with the business world.
    04-22-14 04:11 PM
    I've read stuff like that as well. MS has cleared some security certifications that only BlackBerry has held up to this point, and MS has a slight advantage in that their entire enterprise system from start to finish (server side to workstation to mobile) all fit together fluidly. One thing's for sure, they're definitely trying for it.
    Microsoft has more viruses and malware than you can shake a stick at. Just leave your anti virus off for 10 minutes and good luck. Windows 8 is a complete fail. Microsoft butchered their interface.

Posted via CB10
    04-22-14 07:57 PM
    Microsoft also have what BlackBerry don't right now and that's the cash to play with.
    Looking at the revenues from the 2013 year BlackBerry is there with around $11.1bn while Microsoft sit there with around $78bn. BlackBerry's overheads though are significantly lower than Microsoft. Things are not as bad as people say for BlackBerry looking at the figures but those figures need to go up rather than down each financial year.

Windows Phones like that of Blackberry suffer when it comes to the store front with Android and Apple hands down winning that market but Blackberry have the advantage of loading apk files due to the Android runtime that as far as I am aware Windows Phones cannot do.
    BlackBerry to their advantage don't load their operating systems on other manufacturers phones so they can pretty much ensure the operating system and hardware work seamlessly and also integrate well with BES.

From experience of working in the managed services industry customers like to have a central point of contact. BlackBerry are well placed to do this. Windows on the other hand if there are issues with handsets unless they manufacture their own phones or take over the servicing of those phones your still limited to the phone manufacturer and a lot of people don't like that. Same with Networking, a lot like to use the same manufacturer for routers and switches etc so there is a central point of call.
    Huge corporations like councils here all use BlackBerry and BES and speaking to my local council they have no intention of changing.

Of course every country and area will be different but I think the principle is there.
    04-22-14 08:18 PM
    Microsoft also have what BlackBerry don't right now and that's the cash to play with.
    Looking at the revenues from the 2013 year BlackBerry is there with around $11.1bn while Microsoft sit there with around $78bn. BlackBerry's overheads though are significantly lower than Microsoft. Things are not as bad as people say for BlackBerry looking at the figures but those figures need to go up rather than down each financial year.

Windows Phones like that of Blackberry suffer when it comes to the store front with Android and Apple hands down winning that market but Blackberry have the advantage of loading apk files due to the Android runtime that as far as I am aware Windows Phones cannot do.
    BlackBerry to their advantage don't load their operating systems on other manufacturers phones so they can pretty much ensure the operating system and hardware work seamlessly and also integrate well with BES.

From experience of working in the managed services industry customers like to have a central point of contact. BlackBerry are well placed to do this. Windows on the other hand if there are issues with handsets unless they manufacture their own phones or take over the servicing of those phones your still limited to the phone manufacturer and a lot of people don't like that. Same with Networking, a lot like to use the same manufacturer for routers and switches etc so there is a central point of call.
    Huge corporations like councils here all use BlackBerry and BES and speaking to my local council they have no intention of changing.

Of course every country and area will be different but I think the principle is there.
    As much as I personally like the fact that 10.2.1 can install APKs directly, I do not think that is considered an advantage of any kind. It is BlackBerry's way of admitting its own app store has insurmountable odd in attracting developers. Running Android apps on BB 10 runtime is more or less a gamble. If it works, it works, if it does not work, it does not work, that's all. When those apps get updated, the developers updated their apps with true Android OS compatibility in mind, not with BB 10 Android runtime in mind. So, it is not surprising that apps occasionally no longer work after an update occurred. It's a stopgap measure, nothing more than that. Windows Phone running Android apps would be Microsoft admitting defeat on its own app store, and I highly doubt Microsoft would ever do that with the amount of cash, manpower and deep technology portfolio it still has.
    vinniesworld and JeepBB like this.
    04-22-14 08:32 PM
    Running Android apps on BB 10 runtime is more or less a gamble. If it works, it works, if it does not work, it does not work, that's all. When those apps get updated, the developers updated their apps with true Android OS compatibility in mind, not with BB 10 Android runtime in mind. So, it is not surprising that apps occasionally no longer work after an update occurred.
    Your right there and it's becoming apparent now for me that apps I could once run are no longer running and just crash or don't start at all. I'll be honest, yes there are ways around it by loading google play services etc but it's only another stopgap and even still not all apps will run.

Forgive me for throwing this out there but BlackBerry offloaded BBM to Apple and Android and lets be fair they had little choice really but in return surely Google and BlackBerry could have come to some agreement to a fully fledged runtime for BlackBerry and proper Google Play Services and App Store. It may not be that simple and I am by no means a developer hence throwing it out there.

I know this is off topic though so may be best for another thread.
    04-22-14 08:44 PM
    While I there are many reasons to use Windows Phone (such as all office support), there is a downside: Windows Phone. It is a sweet little OS, but it's not exactly productive. But users will decide what they want
    cgallaer likes this.
    04-22-14 08:48 PM
    Windows 8 sucks big time..i think that sums it for me!

Posted via CB10
    04-22-14 09:21 PM
    Yes, I would agree. Microsoft has very few chips in the mobile game and Windows 8 is another slow rolling disaster. Sorry of sad actually.

Posted via CB10
    04-22-14 09:49 PM
    Let's face it, microsoft has pretty much squandered every asset in had in the mobile space. Whoever was responsible for the latest screwup in the automotive sector should be fired.

Posted via CB10
    04-22-14 10:49 PM
    It would be more the tablets than the phones. With the tablets you can add them to ad domains and have access to windows resources.

Phones??? Not so much.

Posted via CB10
    04-22-14 10:55 PM
35 12