Windows Phone sales actually declining, fast: BlackBerry back in top 3 soon?-screen-shot-2014-03-14-7.52.56-pm.jpg

According to some of my research, from noteworthy sources, Windows Phone sales are on a decline, that is excluding the Lumia 520/521. Sales declining about 800,000 units per quarter. If this trend continues, BlackBerry could be back in the Top 3 platforms quite soon, especially if the BlackBerry Z3 sells at least as good as the Lumia 520/521 and the Nokia X/X+/XL takes some sales away from the Lumia 520/521.
    Tom689 and smart548 like this.
    03-14-14 01:27 PM
    Doesnt necessarily follow. Are BB10 sales also declining? And at what rate? This could just mean more iOS and Android devices are being sold.
    Patman1200 likes this.
    03-14-14 01:28 PM
    Doesnt necessarily follow. Are BB10 sales also declining? And at what rate? This could just mean more iOS and Android devices are being sold.
    Used sales numbers, not market share percentages, so more iOS/Android sales won't directly affect my figures. BlackBerry 10 sales are increasing, slowly however, with the Z3 increases should be better, so if the WP decline continues, BB might catch up within a few quarters, but new WP OEMs could pose a grave threat, so BB needs to act fast...
    03-14-14 01:59 PM
    Can you post a similar graph for what BB10 is concerned?
    And, is the graph showing millions of devices sold worldwide or in a certain region?

Posted via CB10
    richardat and bekkay like this.
    03-14-14 02:06 PM
    You are conflating two data sources with different metrics. In reality NL 520 sales are likely around 70%+ of Windows Phone sales, but of course if you remove the most popular handset sales will be "actually declining".

I heard iPhone sales were also declining if we exclude the iPhone 5S.
    03-14-14 02:15 PM
    You are conflating two data sources with different metrics. In reality NL 520 sales are likely around 70%+ of Windows Phone sales, but of course if you remove the most popular handset sales will be "actually declining".

I heard iPhone sales were also declining if we exclude the iPhone 5S.
    Come on...he's got to be pranking us. This is an absurd premise on so many levels!
    cgk likes this.
    03-14-14 02:20 PM
    You also have to factor in product cycles. Towards the end of the cycle, sales naturally slow down, as people begin to wait for the newer models to be released.
    21stNow, richardat and cgk like this.
    03-14-14 02:24 PM
    The Nokia X will have a big impact in WP sales. Nokia announced 1 million pre-orders in China in just 4 days, BlackBerry sold 1 million of BB10 devices in a quarter.
    So, It seems Microsoft is a new proud Android OEM. Now they have to buy the Nokia brand.
    Nicholas Kathrein likes this.
    03-14-14 02:38 PM
    To bad MS doesn't decide to give up, I think most Windows Phone users would be using Blackberry if there were no Windows Phone. But there in it for the long haul, Microsoft can afford to lose money on WP for a long time.
    03-14-14 02:41 PM
    Am i reading this right that WP is selling 9m a quarter? And bb10 has sold around 3 maybe 4 m in just over a year? Long way to get anywhere near 3rd place.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    03-14-14 02:47 PM
    Used sales numbers, not market share percentages, so more iOS/Android sales won't directly affect my figures. BlackBerry 10 sales are increasing, slowly however, with the Z3 increases should be better, so if the WP decline continues, BB might catch up within a few quarters, but new WP OEMs could pose a grave threat, so BB needs to act fast...
    Not necessarily true. 100 devices sold last month, 2 BB, 3 WP, 50 iOS, 45 Android. This month 1 BB, 2 WP, 70 iOS, 50 Android. Still a WP decline in sales, iOS and Android increase, overall increase in sales. WP can still decline and never fall below BlackBerry sales of BlackBerry also declines. Also market share would decline for both vendors (over time) even though their sales are still happening (albeit at a slower pace)

Posted via CB10
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-14-14 02:55 PM
    The Nokia X will have a big impact in WP sales. Nokia announced 1 million pre-orders in China in just 4 days, BlackBerry sold 1 million of BB10 devices in a quarter.
    So, It seems Microsoft is a new proud Android OEM. Now they have to buy the Nokia brand.
    Nokia X won't have any impact in WP sales. It will have a impact in Asha line sales. Check specs.
    Last edited by dolco; 03-14-14 at 03:36 PM.
    03-14-14 03:25 PM
    Well. I don't think BB10 will EVER catch up to WP.
    Take a look what MS has been doing

Free licensing for WP for local players: (e.g India's local OEMs. India is the second biggest market after china)
    Dual sim support
    Recycle Android hardware for WP (including software keys)
    Enterprise feature pack. (Takes WP to BB's level of Enterprise)
    Lowered the specs requirements of WP
    Reference phones from QUALCOMM which carriers and OMS can use to make their own phones with

How can Blackberry beat this??

They have nothing for this sort of thing
    03-14-14 03:54 PM
    Nokia X won't have any impact in WP sales. It will have a impact in Asha line sales. Check specs.
    The Nokia X and the Lumia 520 have similar specs, the Lumia 520 is by far the most popular WP. The Nokia XL has better specs and a 5-inch display, It's a threat to mid range Lumias.
    I don't know if WP will survive this, It could enter a vegetative state like BB10.
    03-14-14 04:09 PM
    The Nokia X is android though, this will not change WP sales but it will increase Nokia sales

Posted via CB10
    felixweber likes this.
    03-14-14 04:14 PM
    The Nokia X and the Lumia 520 have similar specs, the Lumia 520 is by far the most popular WP. The Nokia XL has better specs and a 5-inch display, It's a threat to mid range Lumias.
    I don't know if WP will survive this, It could enter a vegetative state like BB10.
    How does the Nokia XL have better specs?? Have you even read the specifications?

Judging on the fact that MS is getting Nokia's devices and services division. I'm pretty sure MS will kill the phone. But still support it
    03-14-14 04:15 PM
    How does the Nokia XL have better specs?? Have you even read the specifications?

Judging on the fact that MS is getting Nokia's devices and services division. I'm pretty sure MS will kill the phone. But still support it
    Nokia XL
    480 x 800 pixels, 5.0 inches
    4 GB, 768 MB RAM
    Dual-core 1 GHz Cortex-A5
    Camera 5 MP, 2592 х 1944, Secondary 2 MP
    Li-Ion 2000 mAh battery
    Price: $150

Lumia 625
    480 x 800 pixels, 4.7 inches
    8 GB, 512 MB RAM
    Dual-core 1.2 GHz Krait
    Camera 5 MP, 2592 x 1936, Secondary VGA
    Non-removable Li-Ion 2000 mAh battery
    Price: $220

The 625 is the bestseller of the Lumias in the mid range.

Microsoft is not interested in the OS, there isn't money there, they're already giving the OS for free. The money is in the services, Nokia X is a distribution channel for Bing, OneDrive, Skype, Xbox Music, Video, Office 365, the app store, etc.

Microsoft is happy with the Nokia X, they helped in the development and the integration of the services, Microsoft employees were presenting the Nokia X on stage with Elop at MWC. Elop expressed publicly his hopes that Microsoft could adopt the new platform in addition to Lumia. Elop will be the president of the hardware division in Microsoft in just a few weeks.
    03-14-14 04:41 PM
    Who cares? Every one of us who is bold enough to carry one of these amazing devices knows that we wield the finest communication and productivity tool available. You think I care what typical consumers think? Think again.

But that's not my point. The market will eventually catch up. It typically takes 3-5 years between the time new technology becomes available and the time it becomes widely adopted. This was true for the iPhone, the original BlackBerry, the worldwide web, email, Facebook, cable TV, etc.

BB10 is new technology, as those of us who have put it and its competitors to the test well know. Patience. By January 30, 2016, it will be clear that things are turning around in a big way. A year after that, Apple will be paying to license QNX for its mobile OS. Mark my words.
    wincyUt and ricocan like this.
    03-14-14 05:20 PM
    Possibly it won't affect WP sales, but what about Nokia loyals that have a WP simply because it's Nokia? I believe there are plenty of those. I can see them choosing the Nokia X over a WP. This whole drama will be fun to watch as it unfolds!
    1raygin and Gerii like this.
    03-14-14 05:27 PM
    You also have to factor in product cycles. Towards the end of the cycle, sales naturally slow down, as people begin to wait for the newer models to be released.
    This. Windows Phone sales have been lackluster since OEMs are waiting for the Windows Phone 8.1 refresh. It has been over a year since a major OS update. I do wonder what is taking Microsoft so long. Updates should be once a year.

After Windows Phone 8.1 comes out, expect a jumpstart on sales again as new models come in like the transition from WP7.5 to WP8.

Nokia XL
    4 GB, 768 MB RAM
    Li-Ion 2000 mAh battery

Lumia 625
    8 GB, 512 MB RAM
    Dual-core 1.2 GHz Krait
    ARM Cortex A5 is SIGNIFICANTLY slower than Krait. The XL doesn't have better specs. The XL's CPU might be less than half as fast as te one in the Lumia 520's. A bunch of ultra low end Android bunch together 4 A5s. -.-

You can't just compare clock speeds and number of cores, people; especially, since ARM is expanding their processor range in the ultra low end. As a rule of thumb, anything ARM Cortex A7 and lower is slower than ARM Cortex A9 (and greater) as well as Snapdragon Krait and possibly even Snapdragon Scorpion.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    03-14-14 05:34 PM
    This. Windows Phone sales have been lackluster since OEMs are waiting for the Windows Phone 8.1 refresh. It has been over a year since a major OS update. I do wonder what is taking Microsoft so long. Updates should be once a year.

After Windows Phone 8.1 comes out, expect a jumpstart on sales again as new models come in like the transition from WP7.5 to WP8.

ARM Cortex A5 is SIGNIFICANTLY slower than Krait. The XL doesn't have better specs. The XL's CPU might be less than half as fast as te one in the Lumia 520's. A bunch of ultra low end Android bunch together 4 A5s. -.-

You can't just compare clock speeds and number of cores, people; especially, since ARM is expanding their processor range in the ultra low end. As a rule of thumb, anything ARM Cortex A7 and lower is slower than ARM Cortex A9 (and greater) as well as Snapdragon Krait and possibly even Snapdragon Scorpion.
    I really appreciated your knowledge of mobile CPU architectures, but people that buy these phones for $100-$200 don't have that knowledge, so It's not a factor in their buying decision. They're just going to choose the cheaper Nokia that has all the apps.

WP's life is in danger.
    03-14-14 06:05 PM
    I really appreciated your knowledge of mobile CPU architectures, but people that buy these phones for $100-$200 don't have that knowledge, so It's not a factor in their buying decision. They're just going to choose the cheaper Nokia that has all the apps.

WP's life is in danger.
    So now you're changing your argument from the Lumia 520 and XL have "similar" specs to consumer don't care about lower specs?

Like the formerly pervasive argument on Crackberry that the Z10 would sell tens of millions despite a last gen processor? And that Blackberry could use as outdated specs as it pleases in its phones and still sell blockbusters? Except now you're flipping the "specs don't matter" argument around from "Blackberry will outsell iPhone!" to "This is how Windows Phone is going to meet its watery grave"?
    03-14-14 06:20 PM
    Nokia XL
    4 GB, 768 MB RAM
    Li-Ion 2000 mAh battery

Lumia 625
    8 GB, 512 MB RAM
    Dual-core 1.2 GHz Krait

The 625 is the bestseller of the Lumias in the mid range.

Microsoft is not interested in the OS, there isn't money there, they're already giving the OS for free. The money is in the services, Nokia X is a distribution channel for Bing, OneDrive, Skype, Xbox Music, Video, Office 365, the app store, etc.

Microsoft is happy with the Nokia X, they helped in the development and the integration of the services, Microsoft employees were presenting the Nokia X on stage with Elop at MWC. Elop expressed publicly his hopes that Microsoft could adopt the new platform in addition to Lumia. Elop will be the president of the hardware division in Microsoft in just a few weeks.

WP's life is in danger.
    Now saying WP's life is in danger is pure Bullcrap. Microsoft invested A LOT in getting apps for WP. There's no way in hell they'll stop development. The may have made WP free but doesn't mean jack**** about no interest in the OS for MS. It only means it's getting WP to more devices. Also judging by the fact WP's specs requirements have been reduced I'm sure they'll price a phone with the same price as the Nokia X. It's MS anyway. Also how can you say that MS is happy with the Nokia X even when Joe Belford himself he isn't happy with the device. The online division maybe but the Windows/WP division no way
    03-14-14 06:22 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-03-14 at 7.52.56 PM.jpg 
Views:	3942 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	255109

According to some of my research, from noteworthy sources, Windows Phone sales are on a decline, that is excluding the Lumia 520/521. Sales declining about 800,000 units per quarter. If this trend continues, BlackBerry could be back in the Top 3 platforms quite soon, especially if the BlackBerry Z3 sells at least as good as the Lumia 520/521 and the Nokia X/X+/XL takes some sales away from the Lumia 520/521.
    That's actually not a good news for Blackberry. This just proves that there is no room for the third player. That's what analysts have been saying all along which I don't want to agree with and am not willing to accept. I would like both Blackberry and Windows to gain market share, or at least sell more number of devices every quarter. What's up with Blackberry fans always trying to put Windows down (or vice versa). You are not going to gain much by doing that anyways. How much market share do these companies have now anyways? In fact, may be it's time to join hands. Windows and Blackberry should partner with each other to bring the best from both the OSs to have a compelling alternative to Android and iOS.
    freedomx20a and neo158 like this.
    03-14-14 06:28 PM
    Oli know a few diehard Nokia loyalist who will get the Nokia X because it is from Nokia. Google services or not, it is Android and the more tech savvy crowd will grab Nokia X, install gaps, and have the best of Google and in an extended way, Nokia maps and services. Maybe it is a niche market for Nokia loyalist who wants an Android, but it should be a good sentiment to be served upon. After all it is another Trojan horse strategy that the famous Stephen "Trojan horse " Elop did.

Posted via CB on BB10
    03-14-14 08:06 PM
117 123 ...