I was just wondering if there was any way to run windows mobile apps and games on a blackberry? I tried doing some searching and didnt find anything so next step is to ask all my fellow crackberrians.
    05-28-09 12:28 PM
    I doubt that very much. BB is Java and runs Java apps. A .CAB file is a Windows compressed file so I doubt a BB can even decompress them.

Even if it could, there is nothing it can understand to execute in there anyhow.
    05-28-09 12:29 PM
    Not possible...it'd be like trying to run a .exe on a mac or a .dmg on windows
    05-28-09 12:32 PM
    I'm sure that if someone had a mind to, they could write an emulator. I can't imagine it being very efficient, though. I'm sure performance would downright stink.
    05-28-09 12:33 PM
    I don't think an emulator would work too well...you might be able to port the program over into a java based program...but I don't know how that would work (as i'm not a programmer)
    05-28-09 12:34 PM
    .cab is a "Cabinet" file. It's basically a compressed file along the same lines as .zip

Windows Mobile will run Java through emulators.. those apps that run in the Java enviroment should work on the Blackberry, but not vice versa.. Blackberry's OS is based on Java, Windows Mobile I believe is based on the C programming language? or some variant of C
    Last edited by sniffs; 05-28-09 at 12:44 PM.
    05-28-09 12:38 PM
    I was just about to say that I know that there are java emulators for windows mobile that will run most java files. That's what made me wonder if the same could be done for the blackberry. I like my blackberry but I seem to find alot of stuff for windows mobile that I'd like to use.
    05-28-09 12:41 PM
    I was just about to say that I know that there are java emulators for windows mobile that will run most java files. That's what made me wonder if the same could be done for the blackberry. I like my blackberry but I seem to find alot of stuff for windows mobile that I'd like to use.
    Not the same thing. A Java app is designed to be run through an interpreter which isolates it from the nasty low level details of things like hardware interfaces.

Windows takes the approach of interfacing with API's that drill into the HAL, or Hardware Abstraction Layer. It's a completely different approach to things.

In order to emulate an executable for a Windows mobile device you would need a lot of power in the app and the ability to have a completely functioning set of API's that mimic Windows functionality.

So bottom line, if you want to run Windows apps, get a Windows based PDA.
    05-28-09 12:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD